Patters explained

KSprite01

Reading the patters, I can't tell from the short description what the following games mean. Can you explain any of the following:

• Champagne Hoopla
  • Snowball Jackpot Bingo (which appears to generally have no winners till the last day?)
  • Lawn Bowls/Carpet Bowls
  • Silent Trivia (trivia I understand, but what is silent trivia?)
  • Rum Tasting (this I would understand, if it didn't have "enter to win" by it)
  • Scrapheap challenge
  • Goofy Golf
  • Majority Rules Gameshow
  • Who's the Cuckoo?
  • Liars Club

If you win at any of these games (or the others on the patter that I did understand), do you actually win anything more than bragging rights?

And on other random questions: Is the buy on get one happy hour the only discount generally offered on alcohol beyond the beverage packages? (And are there any restrictions on it?) How likely is it that they might have them? It looks like a cruise 3 months ago didn't have these happy hours, but a cruise a week ago on the same itinerary/ship had them 2x day.

Edited by KSprite01

We did the Liars Club, and something similar to Silent Trivia (we wrote the answers down so no one was shouting them out). Both games had a token prize - a cheap bottle of champagne, and some Princess merchandise. We also won the scavenger hunt and got a ton of free Princess stuff - still using it today!

• Champagne Hoopla - a ring toss game. The object is to toss a ring over the neck of a champagne bottle. First three players to do this three times get to keep the champagne bottle.
  • Snowball Jackpot Bingo (which appears to generally have no winners till the last day?) - a cover all game in which the Snowball money is awarded if all numbers are covered within so many balls called. The number of balls increases by one each day the game is played if there is no winner within the specified number of balls called. If there is no Jackpot winner, the came continues until someone does cover all numbers. The consolation prize is typically around $200. Also, when there is no winner, the Jackpot price increases (snowballs) for the next round. If not won before the last session for the cruise, there is no number limit and there will be a winner. This is the best attended game. BTW, my DW has won this "early" once and has won the unlimited twice, once at the end of a 28 day cruise - that's a good chunk of change.
  • Lawn Bowls/Carpet Bowls - Kind of like bocce ball but played on artificial turf or carpeting.
  • Silent Trivia (trivia I understand, but what is silent trivia?) - No idea
  • Rum Tasting (this I would understand, if it didn't have "enter to win" by it) - The tasting leader provides a nice little presentation on rum. Drinks are mixed live at the same time. During the presentation, questions are often asked and the first person with the correct answer "wins" a free rum drink.
  • Scrapheap challenge - teams build boats using materials scavenged on the ship. This activity takes a few days and culminates in an activity at the pool where the boats are displayed and floated.
  • Goofy Golf - haven't seen this one
  • Majority Rules Gameshow - nor this one
  • Who's the Cuckoo? - nope ... guess I need to cruise more
  • Liars Club - kind of like the old game show "To Tell The Truth" only with ship's company making up the panel. Tends to be a bit more off color than the vanilla TV show and can be absolutely hysterical. I may be confusing this with something else.

Edited by beg3yrs

Majority Rules is one of the nighttime games where teams answer questions. The majority rules. If your team gives the answer given by the majority of teams, your team gets a point. The team with the most points wins.

Champagne ring toss rules vary depending on who's in charge. We've seen it be as many as six bottles given away and as few as three. Sometimes you're aiming to toss the rings around a bottle to win it. Other times you're aiming for a wooden ring toss target that has five stakes with different values on it.

Majority Rules is one of the nighttime games where teams answer questions. The majority rules. If your team gives the answer given by the majority of teams, your team gets a point. The team with the most points wins.

In other words, if the question is which is the largest planet in the solar system and 9 teams say "Mercury", 6 teams say "Jupiter" and 1 team says "Saturn", then the teams that said "Mercury" get a point.

Edited by caribill

We played Liar's Club once and won champagne. Cheap champagne. There was a panel of 4 crew members. A word was put up for all to see and pronounced for all to hear. Each crew member stood up and gave their definition of the word and an example of usage. You then wrote their number on a slip of paper and submitted it. If you were correct you got a point. At the end of the game the team with the most points won. I think we actually tied with another team. One of their esoteric words was one I knew and I told them they had misspelled it but they had the definition correct. (The word was Zarf and they had spelled it Zaref. I like words. :))

We played Liar's Club once and won champagne. Cheap champagne. There was a panel of 4 crew members. A word was put up for all to see and pronounced for all to hear. Each crew member stood up and gave their definition of the word and an example of usage. You then wrote their number on a slip of paper and submitted it. If you were correct you got a point. At the end of the game the team with the most points won. I think we actually tied with another team. One of their esoteric words was one I knew and I told them they had misspelled it but they had the definition correct. (The word was Zarf and they had spelled it Zaref. I like words. :))

So a bit like the old English TV show 'Call My Bluff' then?

Found this on another website:

"Participated in the "Who's the Cuckoo?" crew show game - which is a variation on the Liars Club."

This, and another mention on an Alaska review, were both Princess ships, but it seems rather rare as many have not heard of it, including me. I've seen Liars Club done both as a definition game as well as a 'tell a story' game; both with the goal of determining which was the correct or true answer.

Edited by cherylandtk

Or the board game Balderdash. Sometimes the made up definitions sound more correct than the real ones.

I always enjoy the Yes/No game. I'm 4-0 in it. One or more members of the cruise staff quiz you for two to three minutes, trying to get you to say the word "yes" or "no". On most ships, you must respond with something that makes sense (and not repeating the same thing over and over), and on some can't nod or shake your head. I used my iPhone to tape it when I was on the Royal and it was in the staterooms as video on demand.

It isn't difficult if you refuse to treat it as a conversation, because if you do, you'll get into social mode and you're gone.