HAL vs CELEBRITY PRICING

mcrcruiser

We love Celebrity ;but ,when HAL's Noordam cruise Oct 3, 2015 ,21 days SD to Sydney was priced on a balcony guarantee at $5895 for 2 with $500 obc & a ships discount booklet included ,we had to make the switch as the 18 day Solstice Hawaii to Sydney was well over $7000 for a balcony cabin Oct 2015.We love sea days as well ;)

As Elite + we get lots of perks & don't need any 123 GO perks . Thus ,we feel that Celebrity is pricing their cruises far too high in this case .We also can leave from San Diego where we live & no need to fly to Hawaii & then back from Sydney ;which is far too much flying :o

My question is X pricing becoming non competitive ?

Edited by mcrcruiser

It sounds like you answered that question for yourself. Everyone values different things, sounds like this HAL cruise is more convenient for you and it's priced attractively....a win win! We live on Maui and will be boarding the solstice in Sep 2016 bound for Sydney. Really looking forward to the trip!

Many things to consider and evaluate like many other decisions in life. There is no one all fits all or works for everyone.

You could be offered a new job with a higher pay but it may not be worth taking unless you aren't satisfied or happy with where you are working. The new job may involve a longer commute, relocating to where the taxes are higher, higher cost of living, away from your family, and etc. Is the increase really a meaningful raise?

I always look at HAL plus other cruise lines and they do seem to be really attractive in their pricing compared to Celebrity. Celebrity is almost to the point for me where it is getting too expensive, and it isn't only the expense but the additional cuts. It may not be noticable to some but if you cruised the same cruise for many years in the same cabin you do see the differences. But then again some other cruise lines are also getting out of reach and it depends on the time of year and destination plus comparing the same cabin category.

The Internet really makes it easier to shop around.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We love Celebrity ;but ,when HAL's Noordam cruise Oct 3, 2015 ,21 days SD to Sydney was priced on a balcony guarantee at $5895 for 2 with $500 obc & a ships discount booklet included ,we had to make the switch as the 18 day Solstice Hawaii to Sydney was well over $7000 for a balcony cabin Oct 2015.We love sea days as well ;)

As Elite + we get lots of perks & don't need any 123 GO perks . Thus ,we feel that Celebrity is pricing their cruises far too high in this case .We also can leave from San Diego where we live & no need to fly to Hawaii & then back from Sydney ;which is far too much flying :o

According to my price tracking website, HAL has been steadily dropping the price for that cruise but even so the price I see is $3563 pp.(CND)

I guess X pricing is competitive as that Hawaii to Sydney cruise is no longer on X's website and other sites show it as "Sold Out"

On Solstice April 2016 Sydney to Hawaii and for 2B balcony we paid only 4999.00.

According to my price tracking website, HAL has been steadily dropping the price for that cruise but even so the price I see is $3563 pp.(CND)

I guess X pricing is competitive as that Hawaii to Sydney cruise is no longer on X's website and other sites show it as "Sold Out"

Your price tracking website is out of touch with the bids I got for the cruise on that bid web site for cruises ;). The price is as stated $5895 for 2 in a balcony guarantee & $500 OBC & a discount coupon booklet for use on the ship

Regardless ,we are finding ever since Celebrity put into place the 123 GO promotion they have steadily increased their cruise prices . That for them was a marketing home run . When the economy starts to slow in the future Celebrity & others will then drop back prices .In addition they are saving a ton of cash on fuel costs today vs the past . Thus ,they have room for price desreases

Your price tracking website is out of touch with the bids I got for the cruise on that bid web site for cruises ;). The price is as stated $5895 for 2 in a balcony guarantee & $500 OBC & a discount coupon booklet for use on the ship

Regardless ,we are finding ever since Celebrity put into place the 123 GO promotion they have steadily increased their cruise prices . That for them was a marketing home run . When the economy starts to slow in the future Celebrity & others will then drop back prices .In addition they are saving a ton of cash on fuel costs today vs the past . Thus ,they have room for price desreases

With X you usually have to book early. When the 19 nt Sept 19 2016 Hawaii to Sydney cruise opened up Dec 2/14 a 2D was $2799 pp. Went up to $2999 Jan 16th plus these South Pacific crossings don't have the 123 promo.

Glad you got a price you were happy with but we would never take a balcony on HAL until they ban smoking on the veranda's. Good to have choices:)

I've been watching some of the more expensive cruises on HAL, and notice great discounts closer to sailing. An OV to Hawaii for May was priced at $2,600 6 months ago, now it's $1,299. I know you get more undesirable cabins waiting till last minute, but at this point I wouldn't even get dinged on airfare. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I totally understand the pricing fluctuations....they happen to any cruise or cruise line with inventory. We all know that but...how in the world can you compare the Noordam to any of the S class ships? A cruise is a cruise until you board a ship for convenience, staterooms, ambiance and cuisine.

we feel that Celebrity is pricing their cruises far too high in this case .We also can leave from San Diego where we live & no need to fly to Hawaii & then back from Sydney ;which is far too much flying :o

No, not if they can still fill their ships. It is all based on supply and demand. Apparently more people are interested in Celebrity for the cruise you're looking at (increased demand)

I think that Celebrity is using the 123go promotions to be competitive. The result is itineraries are booking early and filling ships sooner which will hold the original release price or cause it to go up. I don't think we are going to see as many fire sales as we did in the past, especially on rare or limited itineraries. I have been watching Bermuda sailings since last year at this time. Last year for a May sailing which is considered off season you could book a veranda for $799 or Concierge for $999 after final payment. This year verandas are as high as $1349 and CC class is as high as $1529 for May. I booked my cruise for May 2016 in Nov 2014. I booked a c2 for $1399. I never book more than 8 months out but I noticed the price trend and didn't want to take any chances.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We love the look of the S class ships, but ...

the service on X was going down every cruise so we decided to try HAL.

We also tried the Noordam and had an aft balcony ...

yes the ships seem to be more dark and not that modern then the S-class, but everything was much more cleaner, the food for us was much better, the orange juise (fresh) is included and the prices for drinks are cheaper...so for 2015 we booked two HAL cruises !!

Because for us the pros are more on HAL than on X side !

We also did not have any problems with smoker on the balcony ...

On Solstice April 2016 Sydney to Hawaii and for 2B balcony we paid only 4999.00.

The Noordam cruises from San Diego to Sydney. Solstice requires a B2B cruise to reach Sydney.

We have also looked at the Noordam as a way to get to NZ. Solstice offers no easy way to visit NZ for those who wish to cruise from North America. Noordam 39 days $4,500 pp OV + tax, $5,800 Balcony.

Solstice this year cruises from Vancouver to Hawaii, Hawaii to Sydney, Sydney to New Caledonia and back and finally Sydney to Auckland. Since Solstice is sold out for some legs of this voyage, it is difficult to determine pricing for those who booked early enough. Solstice is in greater demand but Noordam provides a much more attractive price and itinerary for those seeking to reach NZ.

Edited by Arno.