Internet Choices

heidik

Can someone please explain what the difference is between these two choices that are being shown on a cruise I am considering:

Concierge Level Internet Benefit vs Complimentary Internet Package

Thank you!

Not really sure what you mean but

Complimentary means 1 free account per cabin

If you do not have the free internet package on your cruise then I believe you get so many minutes free then you pay for anything over

I have not checked the new package details yet

Concierge Level Internet Benefit: would be the discount(s) on Internet Fee's which are granted to Passengers who are sailing in Concierge Level accommodations. Expect the discount to be a small percentage.

Complimentary Internet Package: basically means free Internet. Complimentary Internet is a sales incentive which is presently offered on some cruises, but not on others.

It appears that complimentary Internet will become a constant feature of all Concierge and above accommodations beginning with Winter 2015-16 voyages.

Free internet minutes vary by length of the cruise for Concierge & PH level

Book a Concierge-level Veranda or Penthouse Suite and receive FREE WiFi of up to 500 minutes (or equivalent data amount). Additionally, guests in these categories may request a complimentary iPad® or wifi-enabled laptop computer while on board, subject to availability. The number of FREE Internet minutes received will be based on the length of the voyage, and includes one login per suite that may be used on one device at a time. The login may be shared across a variety of devices.

1-7 nights: 200 minutes or equivalent data amount

8-10 nights: 300 minutes or equivalent data amount

11-15 nights: 400 minutes or equivalent data amount

16+ nights: 500 minutes or equivalent data amount

If additional minutes are required, guests in these categories will enjoy a 10% discount if purchasing either the 200-minute or unlimited plans. À la carte minutes are also available.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/value/internet-packages/

It appears that complimentary Internet will become a constant feature of all Concierge and above accommodations beginning with Winter 2015-16 voyages.

Hmmmm... If this is so we may just upgrade to an A cabin for our upcoming Beijing to Hong Kong cruise in March 2016. We always get the unlimited package, and at $22 per day x 20 days that would be $440.. Moving up from a B1 to an A3 would only be $800 (for both of us). Is there any way to confirm if this is really going to happen? Also, this is showing up as UP TO 500 minutes on the cruise we are on... Is that what "complimentary" internet means? Thank you!

---EDIT--- Nevermind, I found this information and it is indeed only 500 minutes of internet included. Sticking with our "measly" B1 LOL

Edited by corpkid

I don't think that the info provided by S&J is accurate (sorry guys),

If you click on the link provided by Lyn above your post, you will see that the unlimited internet will be for the large suites only (not concierge & PH).

Don't change your cabin till you confirm this.

I really don't like this new policy. We always get the unlimited plan. We would eat up 500 minutes quickly. I'd rather have a credit towards the unlimited plan. I suppose we will use up the free minutes and then get unlimited for balance of the cruise. We hate keeping track of the minutes. Too stressful

I don't think that the info provided by S&J is accurate (sorry guys),

If you click on the link provided by Lyn above your post, you will see that the unlimited internet will be for the large suites only (not concierge & PH).

Don't change your cabin till you confirm this.

They are calling it "complementary internet" on the cruise collateral. If you read the fine print it means from 200 to 500 minutes (with the latter being on cruises of 16+ days). So we really need a few different terms here:

1) UNLIMITED internet (what it sounds like - as much as you want)

2) COMPLEMENTARY internet (200 - 500 minutes based on length and stateroom)

3) DISCOUNTED internet (10/20/50% off package rates)

We have only had to purchase the unlimited plan once - all the other times it was part of our cruise package. Ironically, one of the most oversold cruises I've come across (last month Sydney to Auckland on Marina) EVERYONE it seems had free unlimited internet. It really brought the entire system to crawl, but it was "free" so we didn't care much. Do they ever offer this deal as the cruise draws closer? If so I'll tell my TA to be on the lookout for our upcoming 20 day on Nautica next March and cancel / rebook if need be. Of course our final payment is due in October so that doesn't leave much time for canceling and rebooking, etc.

As a tangent - the O air credit is pretty paltry, no? $1050pp to fly from Orlando to Beijing and then back from Hong Kong. I think I can outright buy a flight for about $1500 then use miles to upgrade to business class on United. Hmmmm... We have yet to use O's air - just seems a little too unpredictable and not being able to use miles to upgrade is a non-starter for a super long haul.

As a tangent - the O air credit is pretty paltry, no? $1050pp to fly from Orlando to Beijing and then back from Hong Kong. I think I can outright buy a flight for about $1500 then use miles to upgrade to business class on United. Hmmmm... We have yet to use O's air - just seems a little too unpredictable and not being able to use miles to upgrade is a non-starter for a super long haul.

Do you want to get the air credit AND fly to China in business class for free?

Send me an e mail to Paulpepper at comcast dot net.