Quick round-up of our Noordam cruise

debsjc

Pre-Cruise

We stayed at the Renaissance in Fort Lauderdale for 4 days, which we got a great deal on through Hotwire. Overall was really impressed with the hotel, good position, friendly staff, and nice rooms. The parking for the rental car was expensive at $25 a night plus tax.

Embarkation

Everything went smoothly, we caught the shuttle from the hotel at 11am, and were on board just after 12pm and the cabin was ready.

Cabin

We had 5152, a VB from a VH guarantee. The location was great, right by the aft elevators, giving quick access to the dining room and the lido. I was concerned we might hear elevator noise, but actually it was very faint and you could only hear it if you were totally silent in the room.

The storage seemed a little tight, after having an SA cabin on our last cruise, but we got used to it, and it was not a big problem.

Our cabin stewards were fantastic, maybe the best we have ever had, they were always asking if there was anything else they could do for us.

We did have issues with our shower now being the correct temperature for the first week, cold or boiling hot with no adjustment. The maintenance department took 3 goes to fix it, but eventually put it right.

Retreat Cabana

We had a cabana for the entire cruise and loved it. It was our favorite thing about this trip. The lido pool area always seemed so noisy, and hot, and it was great to escape to the shade and breeze of the cabana. We had an open fronted aft facing cabana this time, and it was better for us on this Caribbean routing, as you get more air flow than with the side facing ones.

Food

We had breakfast and lunch in the lido (except 3 lunches in the cabana), and everything was great. Dinner in the main dining room, anytime on floor 2, was very disappointing. The worst food and service I've ever had on HAL. We tried 3 sections, the first 2 had terrible service, the last one was much better. However, the food was still only tepid at best, and the portion sizes of the main courses were generally very small, and we are small eaters. We were really shocked at how quickly HAL have gone downhill in this area. After talking to some other guests that felt the same, we might try Celebrity next cruise.

Entertainment

We didn't make many shows, partly due to dinner taking so long!

However we did catch a production show called 'Heat' with the singers and dancers which was good. Also we saw the British singer Andrew Derbyshire's show, which was absolutely amazing (he even received a standing ovation)

Ports

HMC, Grand Turk, Samana, Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba - The only place we did a ships excursion was Samana, mainly we just took cabs to the beach.

Disembarkation

Just OK, they were running around 30 mins later than the planned time for our luggage tag group. As usual people were hanging around blocking the public areas around deck 2, making it harder to get off when they were called. Long line for customs, whilst dragging our suitcases.

Post Cruise

1 night at the Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, which was expensive for what it was, but a nice hotel.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

We were on the Noordam for b2b in January. On the first leg service in the dining room was ok, but we saw a big difference on the second leg. We were in anytime dining and dinner took 2.5 hours. That is ridiculous. We started eating in the Lido after that. We could not understand why the service declined so much from the first to the second.

We did have a nice cruise and enjoyed the ship.

We were on the Noordam for b2b in January. On the first leg service in the dining room was ok, but we saw a big difference on the second leg. We were in anytime dining and dinner took 2.5 hours. That is ridiculous. We started eating in the Lido after that. We could not understand why the service declined so much from the first to the second.

We did have a nice cruise and enjoyed the ship.

In January, during my b2b cruises, I had 2nd seating dining. The dining service, wine service, and food served were excellent.

I have tried anytime dining; impersonal service is what I have experienced. Not to my liking for certain.

Food

We had breakfast and lunch in the lido (except 3 lunches in the cabana), and everything was great. Dinner in the main dining room, anytime on floor 2, was very disappointing. The worst food and service I've ever had on HAL. We tried 3 sections, the first 2 had terrible service, the last one was much better. However, the food was still only tepid at best, and the portion sizes of the main courses were generally very small, and we are small eaters. We were really shocked at how quickly HAL have gone downhill in this area.

Thank you for your review. This information in particular is very helpful to me. I sail next Friday on the Noordam and I've been struggling in my mind what to do about the Formal nights (as I don't really want to wear a suit and tie for dinner). So you're making it easier for me to just pick the lido for those nights. (And maybe every night)

Thank you!

Edited by ghjcmo

Thank you for your review. This information in particular is very helpful to me. I sail next Friday on the Noordam and I've been struggling in my mind what to do about the Formal nights (as I don't really want to wear a suit and tie for dinner). So you're making it easier for me to just pick the lido for those nights. (And maybe every night)

Thank you!

Hope you have a great cruise.

A lot of people were VERY casual in the MDR on formal night. Men with open neck shirts and no ties, 1 man with jeans and a jacket and tie, and lots of ladies quite dressed down too (one in casual black capris!)

Just to mention the lido was quite busy for dinner most nights, I've never seen that many people having their evening meal in there.

Edited by debsjc

In January, during my b2b cruises, I had 2nd seating dining. The dining service, wine service, and food served were excellent.

I have tried anytime dining; impersonal service is what I have experienced. Not to my liking for certain.

I wondered if the set sittings might be better, but we spoke to some people in the cabana area and they were also very disappointed in the MDR. They had 2nd sitting at 8pm, and couldn't make the 10pm show as the service was so slow. They were new to HAL, and unfortunately said they probably wouldn't cruise with them again mainly due to the MDR.

Hope you have a great cruise.

A lot of people were VERY casual in the MDR on formal night. Men with open neck shirts and no ties, 1 man with jeans and a jacket and tie, and lots of ladies quite dressed down too (one in casual black capris!)

Just to mention the lido was quite busy for dinner most nights, I've never seen that many people having their evening meal in there.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I'm definitely going to skip formal nights and if the service continues to be that bad, I may abandon the MDR all together.

Edited by ghjcmo

We were on this cruise, our cabanna for 2, was $399.00 for the 10 days. I think if available you can rent them by the day as there were only a few rented for the whole cruise. WE noticed on the last two sea days more people were there.

We contacted Hollnad prior to Cruise and rented, paying at that time- told if we did not make use of the cabanna first day, we could cancel and be refunded. The "Retreat: is on the top of the Ship and can be windy.

We did not experience extrremely slow service in anytime dining, but the quality of food was not very good.

It's a shame when one ship underperforms and those that haven't experienced otherwise assume the problem is fleet wide.:(

On the Eurodam (MDR late fixed seating) last week our food was the correct temperature and, unless we chose to sit and chat with our tablemates over coffee, we were out in 1 hour 15 minutes tops.

It's a shame when one ship underperforms and those that haven't experienced otherwise assume the problem is fleet wide.:(

On the Eurodam (MDR late fixed seating) last week our food was the correct temperature and, unless we chose to sit and chat with our tablemates over coffee, we were out in 1 hour 15 minutes tops.

Being in anytime makes a difference it seems. I've had anytime for the last several years. Some if the service is really good, some not so much. Hal seems to really struggle with MDR service.

I would like to know about the cabanas. Are they free if not how much are they and can you rent them for the day or what? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Please see the attached thread, post number 9. The attachment has all the ino you'll need.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125867&highlight=retreat+cabanas