Victoria-Gardens-1pm to 11pm

We will be docking at Victoria on Sun May31 '15. I checked the CVS site for tours that leave from the pier, but the one we would be on leaves at 2:30pm. The sight doesn't say when the last bus leaves the Gardens. All the ship's tours give you 2 hrs or less in the Gardens. Should we take a cab or try to rent a car? I know we could take the local bus, but I'm not sure we want to be on a local bus in the evening.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

We will be docking at Victoria on Sun May31 '15. I checked the CVS site for tours that leave from the pier, but the one we would be on leaves at 2:30pm. The sight doesn't say when the last bus leaves the Gardens. All the ship's tours give you 2 hrs or less in the Gardens. Should we take a cab or try to rent a car? I know we could take the local bus, but I'm not sure we want to be on a local bus in the evening.

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

I lived in Victoria for 25 years, the buses are fine in the evening

Pay attention to the bus schedule on when the bus departs.

Google Maps says it's 4.5 hours to walk from the Gardens to the ship. You might miss dinner. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=The+Butchart+Gardens,+Benvenuto+Avenue,+Brentwood+Bay,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Ogden+Point+Sundial,+Dallas+Road,+Victoria,+BC,+Canada&hl=en&ll=48.488852,-123.418694&spn=0.192501,0.387611&sll=48.49023,-123.413835&sspn=0.192496,0.387611&geocode=FXgF5QId3vyj-CEErBEohveZbym_M674GWyPVDEErBEohveZbw%3BFcDB4gId0k6l-CH4m263SgxedSmF3Dr46XSPVDH4m263SgxedQ&oq=ogden+point,+&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=12

I lived in Victoria for 25 years, the buses are fine in the evening
while buses to downtown is great, I question the logic going to the ferry terminal. I remember about 5 years ago on a trip to the gardens and going to Vancouver for the evening via ferry. This tiny 15 passenger shuttle shows up to load 60 people! And the shuttle bus runs once every 2 hours on the weekend! I got to the stop 40 minutes before departure to secure a spot with my friends. But I could see the anger of people passed at post-Butchart stops unable to get on the shuttle to catch the 2nd to last ferry of the day.

Hopefully they got rid of that tiny shuttle bus now.

Edited by xlxo

Pay attention to the bus schedule on when the bus departs.

Google Maps says it's 4.5 hours to walk from the Gardens to the ship. You might miss dinner. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=The+Butchart+Gardens,+Benvenuto+Avenue,+Brentwood+Bay,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Ogden+Point+Sundial,+Dallas+Road,+Victoria,+BC,+Canada&hl=en&ll=48.488852,-123.418694&spn=0.192501,0.387611&sll=48.49023,-123.413835&sspn=0.192496,0.387611&geocode=FXgF5QId3vyj-CEErBEohveZbym_M674GWyPVDEErBEohveZbw%3BFcDB4gId0k6l-CH4m263SgxedSmF3Dr46XSPVDH4m263SgxedQ&oq=ogden+point,+&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=12

while buses to downtown is great, I question the logic going to the ferry terminal. I remember about 5 years ago on a trip to the gardens and going to Vancouver for the evening via ferry. This tiny 15 passenger shuttle shows up to load 60 people! And the shuttle bus runs once every 2 hours on the weekend! I got to the stop 40 minutes before departure to secure a spot with my friends. But I could see the anger of people passed at post-Butchart stops unable to get on the shuttle to catch the 2nd to last ferry of the day.

Hopefully they got rid of that tiny shuttle bus now.

I think you misunderstood me. We are arriving at Victoria, not Vancouver. I was not considering walking either. It looks like the bus (if we can catch an express bus) is doable. But what about a cab, at least one way?

Thanks

Cab one way would run around $50 - $60 CDN. However cabs do not sit out there waiting for return fares, you might have to arrange that ahead of time. The 2:30 departure would work well as by the time the ship clears Customs and everyone disembarks it would be close to that.

Just checked the schedule and on May 31 the last CVS bus departs the Gardens at 6:15, if you were later in the summer they run later.

Edited by cruiseryyc

Cab one way would run around $50 - $60 CDN. However cabs do not sit out there waiting for return fares, you might have to arrange that ahead of time. The 2:30 departure would work well as by the time the ship clears Customs and everyone disembarks it would be close to that.

Just checked the schedule and on May 31 the last CVS bus departs the Gardens at 6:15, if you were later in the summer they run later.

Thanks, then the CVS is still an option. That would give us about 3 hours in the gardens.

Three hours is a lovely amount of time to spend out at Butcharts. A 6:15 trip back to downtown also gives you time to do some strolling around the area, have a pub dinner and then make your way back to the ship in time for your 11:00 p.m. sailing.

We will be docking at Victoria on Sun May31 '15. I checked the CVS site for tours that leave from the pier, but the one we would be on leaves at 2:30pm. The sight doesn't say when the last bus leaves the Gardens. All the ship's tours give you 2 hrs or less in the Gardens. Should we take a cab or try to rent a car?

I found it for you; the bus leaves for the Gardens at 2:20 pm, not from the pier but from in front of the Fairmont Empress Hotel, and the return times are all there, too, with the last bus leaving at 6:15 pm.

http://www.cvstours.com/butchart-gardens-tour-schedule.html <--click here for schedule

As far as a cab, I wouldn't. It's way too expensive and personally I can't justify spending that much. You could easily rent a car for less than two cab rides; the main rental companies will meet you at Ogden Point in Victoria and drive you to their office, and soon you'll be on your way to the Butchart Gardens. You can spend as much time as you feel comfortable out there and return the car to the rental office, although it will be closed when you return in the evening. You will have to leave the keys and the car, and find your own way back to the pier (not a biggie, just telling you).

Personally, I'd take the CVS tour, which includes your admission price to the Gardens. Rental car may give you more freedom but the admission rate is another $29.30 per person for your May visit.

Have fun. :)

I found it for you; the bus leaves for the Gardens at 2:20 pm, not from the pier but from in front of the Fairmont Empress Hotel, and the return times are all there, too, with the last bus leaving at 6:15 pm.

http://www.cvstours.com/butchart-gardens-tour-schedule.html <--click here for schedule

As far as a cab, I wouldn't. It's way too expensive and personally I can't justify spending that much. You could easily rent a car for less than two cab rides; the main rental companies will meet you at Ogden Point in Victoria and drive you to their office, and soon you'll be on your way to the Butchart Gardens. You can spend as much time as you feel comfortable out there and return the car to the rental office, although it will be closed when you return in the evening. You will have to leave the keys and the car, and find your own way back to the pier (not a biggie, just telling you).

Personally, I'd take the CVS tour, which includes your admission price to the Gardens. Rental car may give you more freedom but the admission rate is another $29.30 per person for your May visit.

Have fun. :)

I do like the 2:20pm time from the hotel, that would put us at the Gardens by 3pm. CVS does make a run where they pick you up at the pier, but that coordinates with the 3pm departure from the hotel. And what happens if there are too many people waiting for that last bus back? Does HAL have a shuttle to/from the Empress?

As for renting a car, as long as Victoria drives on the same side as the states (it should as it is Canada), that is an option. I didn't know you could pick up a car at the pier.

And what happens if there are too many people waiting for that last bus back? Does HAL have a shuttle to/from the Empress? ... As for renting a car... I didn't know you could pick up a car at the pier.

My thought too, what if there are extra people waiting for that last bus? Oh well, perhaps you could e-mail them about that. Maybe they send an extra empty bus out there just for that reason.

I don't think the cruise line runs a shuttle bus to the Fairmont Empress but that's something you would have to ask them. I lived in Victoria for 35 years and it's really not that far - a quick cab ride or a nice 20 minute walk.

And you don't rent a car at the pier - you would take a courtesy shuttle bus to the rental car office, confirmed ahead of time if you decide to go that route. :)

Have fun!

I do like the 2:20pm time from the hotel, that would put us at the Gardens by 3pm. CVS does make a run where they pick you up at the pier, but that coordinates with the 3pm departure from the hotel. And what happens if there are too many people waiting for that last bus back? Does HAL have a shuttle to/from the Empress?

As for renting a car, as long as Victoria drives on the same side as the states (it should as it is Canada), that is an option. I didn't know you could pick up a car at the pier.

I would just make sure you follow the link for tours for cruise ship passengers as the pricing is different since it includes transfers from the pier.

http://www.cvstours.com/victoria-cruiseship-tour-pickup.html

My thought too, what if there are extra people waiting for that last bus? Oh well, perhaps you could e-mail them about that. Maybe they send an extra empty bus out there just for that reason.

I don't think the cruise line runs a shuttle bus to the Fairmont Empress but that's something you would have to ask them. I lived in Victoria for 35 years and it's really not that far - a quick cab ride or a nice 20 minute walk.

And you don't rent a car at the pier - you would take a courtesy shuttle bus to the rental car office, confirmed ahead of time if you decide to go that route. :)

Have fun!

Thanks everyone! Well, I still have about 2 months to make up my mind.

Have fun!

Did some more research for Victoria. CVS Cruise Victoria has an earlier departure from the Empress Hotel. The 2:20pm will put us at the Gardens about 3pm (maybe earlier). It's a quick cab ride to the Empress or take the port shuttle for about the same price ($9-10CND). The port shuttle drops you about 4 blocks from the Empress. The Gardens close at 5pm but you can stay and wander until 6pm. I contacted CVS to ask about too many people waiting for that last bus at 6:15pm. The guy said they track how many they have dropped off and how many of those haven't been picked up so they have a very good idea of how many will be waiting. If necessary, they send an extra bus. That bus will drop at the ship's terminal first, then if others want to go back to the Empress they make a second drop. This works out best for us, giving us about 3 hours in the Gardens. The 2:20pm CVS from the Empress is $116 CND for two adults, it is ~$135 for the 2:40 p/u from the pier. If you are a AAA member, buy your tickets online and use promo code AAA15 for 10% off. :D

Yeah. :D I love the Interent. The info is THERE if you just go looking for it! Sounds like you have all the pricing and such. Something to consider and one thing I would recommend is looking around downtown Victoria - it's beautiful! At the end of May you will have daylight until 9 pm or so with twilight after that and it is just gorgeous. The Parliament buildings will be all lit up for you - if you get dropped back at the ship, you'll miss all of that unless you go back into downtown again. As I said earlier, it's about a 20 minute walk between the Fairmont Empress and Ogden Point where you dock.

I really hope you experience Victoria as well as the Butchart Gardens. :)

Yeah. :D I love the Interent. The info is THERE if you just go looking for it! Sounds like you have all the pricing and such. Something to consider and one thing I would recommend is looking around downtown Victoria - it's beautiful! At the end of May you will have daylight until 9 pm or so with twilight after that and it is just gorgeous. The Parliament buildings will be all lit up for you - if you get dropped back at the ship, you'll miss all of that unless you go back into downtown again. As I said earlier, it's about a 20 minute walk between the Fairmont Empress and Ogden Point where you dock.

I really hope you experience Victoria as well as the Butchart Gardens. :)

Maybe if we aren't too beat on our feet and we found some food, we might go back down town. I have been to Victoria back in the mid 80's with my mother.

Excellent sounds like you have a good plan in place; glad it all worked out for you.

I would agree with Langley, get dropped off downtown and wander around there before going back to the ship. Lots of great brew pubs in the area.

• 1 month later...

We will be visiting Victoria on May 21 - ship docks at 12PM, leaves at 7PM. After much research, it seems like CVS is the best way to get to Butchart Gardens? Looking at the BC Transit page, it's a 1.5 hour trip there by bus. And the HOHO bus doesn't stop there. Am I correct in my findings?

We will be visiting Victoria on May 21 - ship docks at 12PM, leaves at 7PM. After much research, it seems like CVS is the best way to get to Butchart Gardens? Looking at the BC Transit page, it's a 1.5 hour trip there by bus. And the HOHO bus doesn't stop there. Am I correct in my findings?

Yes you are correct!

Thank you! Looks like a GORGEOUS city!

It's a beautiful city, I hope you enjoy the gardens, it's our favourite place. (5 mins from our house). Do try and save time for a wander around down town, it's just so beautiful. As mentioned before lots of great restaurants and brew pubs.

Is 2 hours enough time to schedule for seeing the Gardens?

That's plenty of time. I guess it depends if you want to admire every petal! But to go for a leisurely stroll that's more than enough.

We are going to use the Express Shuttle in front of the Empress to get to the Gardens. There are 3 ships in port that day. Do the shuttles sell out or are there long lines? Just wondering if we should book ahead of time.