Room number requested at anytime dining

earnied

But why do they ask instead of just looking at the cruise card which says if in traditional or anytime?

Knowing the cabin number does no good unless they spend extra time entering it into their computer to see what it shows about dining.

Looking it up on the computer literally takes a second if the front stand has a computer.

One person mans the computer issuing table assignments and several others showing pax to their tables.

Edited by SadieN

Looking it up on the computer literally takes a second if the front stand has a computer.

If the dining option is on the cruise card, what would they be looking up on the computer?

Lew

If the dining option is on the cruise card, what would they be looking up on the computer?

Lew

Confirmation, tip allocation, special dining requests.

The dining requests are printed out. Good for the galley and waitstaff.

Edited by SadieN

I have seen several posts here and in other threads that there is a problem with traditional dining guests using anytime dining, resulting in longer wait times for AD. Is this just anecdotal information or is there data out there that proves this is true? This just doesn't make sense to me, for a couple of reasons. 1. We always select TD, but most cruises we are on a wait list to get it, presumably because it is so popular. In fact the cruise we are taking in August is the first time we got immediate confirmation of our seating selection as we booked very early and wanted late seating. 2. The TD dining rooms are always packed - it is rare to see an empty table or sparsly populated tables. Wouldn't this indicate the TD diners are attending TD?

In my observations I don't feel TD diners are the problem with AD lines, more likely it is due to activities and time preferences of AD diners causing certain times to be busier than others. Personally I don't like AD, so don't blame me for your long lines! :-)

Just off the Royal last Monday and we were asked every night in the MDR. We had AT and it was written down each night as well.

The first two nights, it was congested when we tried to dine, the first night we even had a pager for about 20 minutes. Then the MDR or AT seemed empty each night when we went. We only had dinner in the buffet twice out of ten.

I was still fed every night, so don't really care. . .

Last year we had Anytime dining and each time we went to the dining room they asked to see our cards. Hubby looked @ me and asked why? :confused: I said it was to verify that we were in the right place @ the right time for anytime dining.

Not a problem for us as we were usually seated immediately at a table for 6 or 8 which we didn't mind at all.:D

I have seen several posts here and in other threads that there is a problem with traditional dining guests using anytime dining, resulting in longer wait times for AD. Is this just anecdotal information or is there data out there that proves this is true? This just doesn't make sense to me, for a couple of reasons. 1. We always select TD, but most cruises we are on a wait list to get it, presumably because it is so popular. In fact the cruise we are taking in August is the first time we got immediate confirmation of our seating selection as we booked very early and wanted late seating. 2. The TD dining rooms are always packed - it is rare to see an empty table or sparsly populated tables. Wouldn't this indicate the TD diners are attending TD?

I don't think the lines for anytime dining are caused by traditional diners jumping to anytime dining, either. I really believe the lines are caused by the fact that between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., when most people like to dine, two of the three dining rooms are committed to traditional dining. The problem may also be caused by the fact Princess has added so many additional cabins, and even additional decks, to some of the older ships without increasing capacity in the main dining rooms. For example, Princess added the Riviera deck to the Caribbean Princess after it was built, but main dining room space was most likely not increased to accommodate the additional passengers. As a result, more are dining in rooms that were not designed to accommodate so many passengers.

Edited by Mackenzie1

I think it's to keep those who have traditional dining from deciding they want anytime. When we first started using anytime, they never asked, and now every ship we have anytime on always asks, at least the first night, then it's in their computer.

I don't think the lines for anytime dining are caused by traditional diners jumping to anytime dining, either. I really believe the lines are caused by the fact that between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., when most people like to dine, two of the three dining rooms are committed to traditional dining. The problem may also be caused by the fact Princess has added so many additional cabins, and even additional decks, to some of the older ships without increasing capacity in the main dining rooms. For example, Princess added the Riviera deck to the Caribbean Princess after it was built, but main dining room space was most likely not increased to accommodate the additional passengers. As a result, more are dining in rooms that were not designed to accommodate so many passengers.

I have only cruised Princess and HAL for the 10 years, And the Traditional early dining is usual wait listed, 6 months in advance. The reason is that any Princess ship that I have been on with 3 dining rooms has only ONE devoted to Traditional. Also I was informed some years ago that if a Traditional diner even once dined 'Anytime', that person was not allowed back to Traditional. I don't know if this is still enforced or not.

With HAL, with normally just two DRs, the smaller was always Traditional, and it was like pulling teeth to get in for early Traditional dining!

john

For example, Princess added the Riviera deck to the Caribbean Princess after it was built, but main dining room space was most likely not increased to accommodate the additional passengers. As a result, more are dining in rooms that were not designed to accommodate so many passengers.

Carribean had the Riveria deck at launch.

What you are describing is a perfect description of the up-coming

Island changes.

Carribean had the Riveria deck at launch.

What you are describing is a perfect description of the up-coming

Island changes.

Oh, I see. You are so right about that. I misread Wikipedia by thinking the Riviera deck was added later:

"Caribbean Princess is slightly larger than the other ships in her class (Star Princess, Golden Princess, and Grand Princess), due to the addition of an additional deck of cabins called the Riviera deck."

Edited by Mackenzie1

We like both Traditional and Any Time dining. Sometimes we are unable to get Traditional dining and end up on a waiting list. This is the case for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. I would be absolutely thrilled if Princess started enforcing the dining venues so that people who book Traditional don't get to use the Anytime dining rooms. Lots of people who want TD can't get it because it's fully booked but some who have taken those spots decide to eat at Anytime dining instead.

I doubt that Princess is going to start enforcing their own rules but it would certainly be nice if they did.

We were in anytime dining on Regal, and never asked for our room number or card. In fact, the last night there were long lines and the four people we were sitting with said that they were traditional dining but didn't make their dining time so came to any time dining.

Because. FTPC people in Dec 2014, after a set MDR routine on DCL. Love anytime dinning. I do not care who or when anyone comes to any dinning room. We did not have any place to go. Enjoyed all 24 people we shared table with. Did not mind had 10 min wait one night. I see the way things going there will not be MDR in not to distant future. Change or change will change you. We did not go to dinner until 7:30 and when we finished the dinning room was half empty. See you on Royal Princess on Nov 10, 2015. Mean while have late seating on Fantasy in may. This is going to be interesting. Show before dinner. ??? One thing other than outside entertainment have seen all the shows.

I don't think the lines for anytime dining are caused by traditional diners jumping to anytime dining, either. I really believe the lines are caused by the fact that between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., when most people like to dine, two of the three dining rooms are committed to traditional dining. If that 2nd dining room had not been made traditional at 5:30, then those hundreds of passengers would have been on line for anytime at 5:30. Same crowd, just handling it differently.

The problem may also be caused by the fact Princess has added so many additional cabins, and even additional decks, to some of the older ships without increasing capacity in the main dining rooms. For example, Princess added the Riviera deck to the Caribbean Princess after it was built, but main dining room space was most likely not increased to accommodate the additional passengers. No, that additional deck was part of the ship when it was originally built. But you are correct about the dining rooms being the same size.

As a result, more are dining in rooms that were not designed to accommodate so many passengers.

see my comments in red

Lots of people who want TD can't get it because it's fully booked but some who have taken those spots decide to eat at Anytime dining instead.

On my last cruise, on Emerald, I sat in late-seating traditional,

with one of the best waitresses ever.

I noticed the area around me was only about 2/3 full.

I happened to walk to the other side of the ship -- I was very

surprised to see that a big section of the dining room was

not even in use. There were 6-8 stations that were not

even set up.

As the stations were not set up, certainly there were no passengers

assigned to those tables, who were sneaking into Anytime.

And, every night, there was a HUGE anytime line, starting at 5:00

Lots of people here seem to miss the simple reason for

a line at anytime -- lots of people CHOOSE it, and arrive

around the same time.

On my last cruise, on Emerald, I sat in late-seating traditional,

with one of the best waitresses ever.

I noticed the area around me was only about 2/3 full.

I happened to walk to the other side of the ship -- I was very

surprised to see that a big section of the dining room was

not even in use. There were 6-8 stations that were not

even set up.

As the stations were not set up, certainly there were no passengers

assigned to those tables, who were sneaking into Anytime.

You're assuming they were.

And, every night, there was a HUGE anytime line, starting at 5:00

That's typical on any ship. People (especially older) like eating early.

around the same time.

Reservations are also a big cause of slow seating in anytime.

around the same time.

Then shouldn't 'lots of' the seating capacity be available to them instead of the one third or so as it is now.

Then shouldn't 'lots of' the seating capacity be available to them instead of the one third or so as it is now.

Yes! I agree.

There are also "lots of" opinions too. TD is full. TD is empty.

Who do we believe?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I'm sailing next Friday on the Diamond Princess and I just got my cabin allocation. I had booked a guaranteed IF inside cabin and have been given OY (Oceanview Obstructed) C106. Pretty happy with that allocation.

On Regal during our Thanksgiving cruise they were checking cards and sending Traditional diners away. We never had to wait on a table!

I also hope they keep that up and get rid of taking reservations for the Anytime Dining Rooms.