Sharing drink package

link99

Are you able to go to another bar area and get another drink within such a short time? I would think they would have some type of time limit. Curious.

No time limits on alcoholic drinks.

One of the greatest speeches of all time was Lincoln's Gettysburg address. You know the one: "Four score and seven years ago....". That wonderful speech was 272 words long, about a third of the length of each of these two speeches!:eek: Lincoln's speech was about something very important, the rebirth of a nation, rebirth of freedom, a government of the people, for the people etc. etc. And you guys are yapping on and on about sharing drinks packages.:rolleyes:

Geez angelofsin, my thesis was shorter than your diatribes on this thread! :eek: (I got an A+ btw:D)

angelofsin has one view, papaflamingo has another. Each view stated and overstated, move on already.

And all that said with less than 120 words.:)

Jeez, full of yourself much?

The prices have gone through the roof so... Flame if you want and be sure to copy him on this.

Dear Michael Bayley I will be sharing my drink Package on my up coming cruise catch me if you can. Take your drink prices and ...........

Absolutely love this! There are ways around the rules of no sharing.

I feel that way when people take on water and soda, yet it is outright promoted here.

Exactly. People are hypocrites. I've been told ... on this site how to SMUGGLE in alcohol and mixers. There's nothing wrong with that if you don't get caught though right? But a drink package that is GROSSLY over-priced is not being ripped off by the odd double drink. Whatever. People can seriously get on their high horses.

Let see you can afford the cruise , but can afford the beverages , maybe you should re think your holidays and maybe try camping instead , if over all cost is an issue for you

I got a really good deal on my first cruise. And let me tell you, if I had purchased and unlimited drink package for both my husband and I, the DP would have cost MORE than the cruise! That's a serious serious problem. Just saying. I guess it's stealing to share a drink package, but it's no less stealing than the lines charging and arm and a leg. Or people who break the rules by smuggling on drinks.

Perhaps a soft cap on just booze maybe? 25 drinks/day would be more than enough, maybe even 20. Sure would discourage drink sharing amongst the heavier sharers. Maybe still provide soda/water/juice or something. I don't know, just throwing out ideas ;)

No way. If I'm paying for an unlimited package, I will not be put on a limit. I don't even drink very much, a few glasses of wine with dinner while on vaca... at home, NOTHING. But, the point here is fairness. They charge $10-15 for a cocktail. Then come up with this package business that you must purchase for THE ENTIRE CRUISE and then say no sharing. Then they say "drink all your first drink before you can order another". If they turn around and say 20 drink limit, they'll lose all together. Now, no one needs 20 cocktails a day. But if I purchased it, it's my perogative how many I have. What they should do is lower the per glass price and let the packages have tiers for days used. No one wants to pay for a package for port days because they're not onboard to drink. So what do they do, over-drink on sea days. Really it's just a bad policy all around. Just factor alcohol into the cruise fare and make it all inclusive like the food. It will actually be cheaper than food because not everyone drinks and certainly won't drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner. All this nickle and diming is ridiculous.

Edited by Brandywine_101

I got a really good deal on my first cruise. And let me tell you, if I had purchased and unlimited drink package for both my husband and I, the DP would have cost MORE than the cruise! That's a serious serious problem. Just saying. I guess it's stealing to share a drink package, but it's no less stealing than the lines charging and arm and a leg. Or people who break the rules by smuggling on drinks.

It is not stealing on the cruise lines point because you aren't force to cruise. If you choose to overpay for your cruise, or drinks, it's all on you.

While that might certainly discourage some of the heavier drinkers, I am willing to bet that it is not primarily the heavier drinkers who choose to share. It is the people who each drink 3-4 drinks a day each.

I am pretty peeved about the drink prices increase. I will not result to sharing over it, but it is irritating. We recently made a decision to try RCI over Disney. Part of that consideration was how much we would spend on drinks on RCI vs being able to carry on our own liquor on Disney. We went with Royal because at the time it would have been cheaper overall. If I were to add on a drink package, then I could have cruised with Disney (our preferred line). It is too late to change as our cruise is next month.

I know to some that the idea of paying an extra $4 a drink isn't bad and something that they will begrudgingly do, for us we will not. We are not Diamond and do not get free drinks. Royal will not be making money on drinks from our family and this will likely highly influence whether we choose Royal in the future.

The fact that sharing a drink package is stealing will keep me from purchasing and sharing, however, I bet that I take a higher moral stance on this than many cruisers embarking in the near future when their first round at the bar is close to $30 for two drinks. I know that RCI is a for profit company, but to make an increase this large all at once is going to result in unhappy people, fewer future bookings, and more sharing of the drink packages. After a time, people will get over it but others will be alienated in the mean time.

Well said.

Maybe they charge what they do because they know people are going to rip them off by sharing.

Just throwing this in.

On our last cruise, a couple at the table next to us said they bought two drink packages but decided they didn't need two so got a refund for one. With the remaining one, he was drinking the beer from the package and she was drinking the wine. Small ship so we ran into them quite often and had dinner every night next to them. Every time we saw them, they each had their preferred beverage in hand.

When all is said and done, the price of the package is not hidden, everyone knows what it will cost. Sharing to off set someone's idea of "too high" is no justification. If someone thinks it's to high, don't buy it.

We were on Oasis in February and yes, we shared our drink packages. My husband and I both bought the ultimate. My brother did as well. My sister in law doesn't drink alcohol so she did not purchase a package. I don't drink pop/ soda. I gave her my included special glass and she was able to get all the pop she wanted.

We paid over $1000 for two of us for our packages. I think RCCL can pick up the tab for 3-4 pop per day.

I realize most will disagree.

I don't think that's robbery at all. And I know folks will disagree and I don't care. I got that soda cup with my Royal Replinish package and I used it ONCE. That was when I was getting off the ship and wanted to take something with me to drink. I completely wasted $150 on that package. The drinks (on the EOTS) was terrible, the non-alcoholic fruity drinks were slushy and not well frozen and they all tasted the same, sweet. It seriously, seriously was a waste and I wont make that mistake again.

One thing that to me seem overlook in this thread (in all the whining about stealing) is... why DOESN'T Royal offer a drink package that can be shared? I'm thinking buying a discounted block of drinks that can be used by 1 cabin, say 50 drinks for $400 with gratuity. Something like that.

As has been pointed out, this price change most hurts the casual drinker. Drink 5 or 6+ drinks a day, a package makes good economic sense, the individual drink price no longer matters. And of course if you don't drink you are uneffected. But most of us are 3-4 drink per day people. And they get the worst of this.

Also, a side comment: can all the diamonds that get their 3 free drinks stop criticising those of us unhappy with this? I get that it affects you less, but for the rest of us, can't we be free to complain about our issues? Sorry, I booked my first RCI cruise ever 2 months ago. I'm not diamond yet. But if Royal keeps screwing new cruisers, I guarantee I will never make diamond.

Exactly. People are hypocrites. I've been told ... on this site how to SMUGGLE in alcohol and mixers. There's nothing wrong with that if you don't get caught though right? But a drink package that is GROSSLY over-priced is not being ripped off by the odd double drink. Whatever. People can seriously get on their high horses.

I only look at things from the perspective of this: Is what the other person doing ultimately costing ME more money. I don't really consider the moralistic side of things because it is not as important to me as the money. :cool:

One thing that to me seem overlook in this thread (in all the whining about stealing) is... why DOESN'T Royal offer a drink package that can be shared? I'm thinking buying a discounted block of drinks that can be used by 1 cabin, say 50 drinks for $400 with gratuity. Something like that.

Some lines do offer something similar to that. You pay X amount up front and get Y amount of vouchers, good for a variety of drinks plainly spelled out when you purchase it.

That is precisely what MSC offers. Pay X, get Y. They are packages below what Royals unlimited packages are, but also at far lower costs. I do not drink enough to buy Royals unlimited packages. I will not, however, spend $12++ for a cocktail. I would absolutely purchase a package like what MSC offers if RCI offered it as well. Check them out for yourself.

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Special-Services/Beverage-Packages.aspx

One thing that to me seem overlook in this thread (in all the whining about stealing) is... why DOESN'T Royal offer a drink package that can be shared?

They do. It's just twice as much. :D

Some lines do offer something similar to that. You pay X amount up front and get Y amount of vouchers, good for a variety of drinks plainly spelled out when you purchase it.

That is precisely what MSC offers. Pay X, get Y. They are packages below what Royals unlimited packages are, but also at far lower costs. I do not drink enough to buy Royals unlimited packages. I will not, however, spend $12++ for a cocktail. I would absolutely purchase a package like what MSC offers if RCI offered it as well. Check them out for yourself.

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/Special-Services/Beverage-Packages.aspx

Very cool. Their bar prices also sound way cheaper in general as they apparently have cocktails for under $4.80.

18 vouchers for the consumption of all cocktails with a price up to US$ 4.80, wine by the glass with a price up to US$ 4.00, draft and bottled beer, ciders and spirit coolers, spirits with a price up to US$ 3.90, all soft drinks including non-alcoholic cocktails, all coffee based drinks, take-away ice cream in a cone or cup.

Still, doesn't help my 10 day Serenade itinerary next year.

I read on a different post where someone got caught and they were not refunded the remaining days, actually I have read that more than once.

So I guess more power to these folks if they want to lie, cheat and steal, hopefully they get caught, lose the remaining days on their cards along with the remaining $100s of dollars and then have to turn around and purchase single drinks for 2 people :D

Just had an "aha" moment - maybe that is why RCI doesn't make everyone in the cabin get a package - they catch these thieves and make a lot more money by taking the money they paid for a package and then making them purchase single drinks!

Doing that as a revenue source wouldn't make much sense. I doubt that would result in many more return cruises.

There is one reason and one reason only why Royal changed the rule to allow only one person in a cabin to purchase the package while the other(s) do not: They make more money that way. At the prices they charge for the packages, even if everybody shared the occasional drink with a companion, they'd still be coming out very far ahead.

(The above is not a justification for sharing packages. It's merely a statement of the financial aspects of the drink package.)

I only look at things from the perspective of this: Is what the other person doing ultimately costing ME more money. I don't really consider the moralistic side of things because it is not as important to me as the money. :cool:

Wow... We're going to have to go back to disagreeing on this one. That's quite an indictment of yourself. "It's all about the money, morals be damned!" Really?

As has been pointed out, this price change most hurts the casual drinker. Drink 5 or 6+ drinks a day, a package makes good economic sense, the individual drink price no longer matters. And of course if you don't drink you are uneffected. But most of us are 3-4 drink per day people. And they get the worst of this.

Also, a side comment: can all the diamonds that get their 3 free drinks stop criticising those of us unhappy with this? I get that it affects you less, but for the rest of us, can't we be free to complain about our issues? Sorry, I booked my first RCI cruise ever 2 months ago. I'm not diamond yet. But if Royal keeps screwing new cruisers, I guarantee I will never make diamond.

Everybody is affected by the drink package when it's part of a promotion that let's someone choose it as a "free" perc. If you are clueless enough to think these perks are few, you better wake up. There is a cost built in every ticket to cover, probably their cost +. We usually take the prepaid gratuities as that is money I would have to pay no mater what.

Nobody says you can't complain about the issue, the problem is when people, as in the drink fiasco, steal them.

As far as the Diamond "free drinks", they weren't handed to us, we had to spend a nice hunk of change to qualify for them. You know the requirements to qualify, if you choose not to, you lose the right to criticize us who do.

Everybody is affected by the drink package when it's part of a promotion that let's someone choose it as a "free" perc. If you are clueless enough to think these perks are few, you better wake up. There is a cost built in every ticket to cover, probably their cost +. We usually take the prepaid gratuities as that is money I would have to pay no mater what.

Nobody says you can't complain about the issue, the problem is when people, as in the drink fiasco, steal them.

As far as the Diamond "free drinks", they weren't handed to us, we had to spend a nice hunk of change to qualify for them. You know the requirements to qualify, if you choose not to, you lose the right to criticize us who do.

I'm not complaining about the perk, nor am I justifying theft, I'm complaining about those of you that just sit back and say, in effect, "Doesn't affect me, I'm diamond. So you plebs should stop your complaining." If it doesn't affect you, stay out of it. The OP was venting about the drink changes.

Is it though? They swipe the cards. Buying 2 alcoholic drinks at 2 separate bars 3 minutes apart from each other all day long...I mean, I can put them back. But someone drinking 14 or 16+ liquor drinks in a day should put them on the floor. At minimum, RCI can implement a system that flags them when they hit a certain number of drinks in a time period, to at least keep an eye on them. But, they choose not to.

They do monitor it some what. We were on Freedom in October and were talking to one of the bartenders in the pub about the drink package. He said there was a gentleman on the ship that was averaging 30 drinks a day and that management had asked them if they thought he was sharing the package. The bartender told management that he was with a group that all had the package and they never saw any sharing. The bartender said it doesn't happen often but occasionally that are asked about individuals with the package.

What the cruise line charges isn't "stealing." They publish the price for their product and you choose to purchase it or not. How is that stealing?

Only difference between smuggling booze on board and sharing drinks is that smuggling booze on board violates a rule but doesn't break a law. Sharing drinks is stealing from the cruise line and violates the law (did you read the article referenced about the guy arrested for sharing a buffet?).

See, less words than the Gettysburg Address.