Door Alarm ???

Can anyone tell me if this door alarm would work on the cruise ship doors?? Specifically the Adventure doors??

Anyone have a close up picture of the inside of the doors??

We are traveling next week with my elderly MIL. And I guess I am starting to get nervous. She is just starting mild dementia. As of right now, she lives alone, never walks outside alone or doesn't get confused during the night. And I really don't think she will be on the cruise.

She will be in the cabin with a family member, but just wondered if we should take an extra precaution if she would open the wrong door at night. Mistaking the bathroom for the cabin door.

Would one of these work??

The cabins are so small, you'll hear her...the doors are heavy and loud!

Yes...that would work, if you really think it's needed. I don't. I know whoever is in the cabin with her will hear her.

Edited by cb at sea

Yes...that would work, if you really think it's needed. I don't. I know whoever is in the cabin with her will hear her.

yeah probably. Just the closer it gets the more my mind works overtime!!

Thought maybe for $10 it would be a inexpensive piece of mind

Yes the doors are "heavy and loud" & will be heard by whoever is in the cabin with her when it closes (& she's in the hall)!!!

OP, get the alarm. The peace of mind is well worth $10

To help her avoid confusing the doors, I'd suggest getting a night light for the bathroom.

We took a night light for the bathroom on one of our cruises, and it did not fit the outlet (which actually says "Razor Only"). We were unable to use it.

OP, I think it looks like a good little alarm, plus the sound is not obnoxious and loud so as to disturb other passengers.

We took a night light for the bathroom on one of our cruises, and it did not fit the outlet (which actually says "Razor Only"). We were unable to use it.

I bring a few LED tea lights along to use as night lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse wacky auto-correct-induced typos.

Take Command strips instead of using the supplied adhesive -- that way they come off easily without damaging the surface.

BTW, you can get this type of thing much cheaper at Harbor Freight.... http://www.harborfreight.com/door-window-entry-alarm-94983.html

haha, great minds think alike. Already have the command strips packed with the alarm. The alarm came as a two pack today from walmart for $10, so basically the same price.

Just need to decide if they will work. Hoping the door and the door jamb are flush

(The Harbor Freight is a two-pack.)

As for the comment about leaving the bathroom light on and closing the door and using the light through the cracks as a guide, that's great until your adjusted-to-the-dark eyes get flashed by the bright bathroom light!

I much prefer the battery-powered tealights from the dollar store. I can find my way to the toilet and sink and back without ever having to turn on the big overhead light!

There are people that can sleep thru anything, I get up in the morning and go down for coffee and my wife never hears me go out ,so I would get the alarm

As for the night light we leave the bathroom light on but the door closed. with the opening on the top and bottom of the door it make a great night light.

We have these alarms on our doors at home due to a wandering child. i will tell you, if that alarm goes off during the night, you will not be making any friends of your neighbors. We can hear it thru our entire house, even in the back yard when we are outside. I can only imagine the sound in an enclosed ship.

I am sure it will be very comforting to the OP to know that YOU don't think the alarm is necessary. :rolleyes:

We have these alarms on our doors at home due to a wandering child. i will tell you, if that alarm goes off during the night, you will not be making any friends of your neighbors. We can hear it thru our entire house, even in the back yard when we are outside. I can only imagine the sound in an enclosed ship.

Not sure if you have the same alarm, but the one that I bought has two modes. One is the alarm mode, and the other is a "chime" While the neighbors could hear it, it is not loud and annoying. It is basically like a one time doorbell. Enough to wake the other person in the room. But I don't think it would be major annoying to the neighbors. Not any worse than an alarm clock.

Just hoping the doors are flush with the trim around the doors so that it will work.

Still looking for inside pictures of the door frame.

Some of the travel stores sell an alarm at hangs from the door knob and is ctv ated when the door knob turns. Another one, is a door stop, that when the door hits it goes off. Both are low cost and effective. in most RCI ships, the plug for razors is not live unless the light is left on in the bathroom, so night lights will not work. The little tea lights are great, because they are battery operated.