passenger overboard on Carnival Triumph

dramaqueenjan

I hope everything turns out ok :( Prayers to the family. We had a lady go overboard off the pier in Costa Maya last week while on the Magic. It was an extremely windy day and the waves were not forgiving. The CD was very good about letting everyone know what was going on and thankfully she was rescued and taken to a local hospital. It was very emotional for everyone, wish these things didn't happen.

You may want to make sure you have the true facts before judging. It was not a young boy, it was a 54 year old man.

While you may not like Clear Solution's post, it is true regardless of whether it is a child or an adult. Situational Awareness would probably cut the amount of man overboards in half! Those that are not suicides are usually people who are doing something really stupid and not being responsible.

I don't believe I have ever heard of a true accidental overboard, where the guest was walking along and fell overboard. Has anyone heard of this actually happening on a cruise? Most are people who make bad decisions or think they are invincible (alcohol involved or not) and do something like climb over a railing or try to balance on the lifeboats, etc.

While I agree that this is very sad and I am not trying to take away from the seriousness of what has happened, it probably could have been prevented. Clear Solution has nailed the problem.

We reached out to Carnival for a statement. The reports of the overboard passenger being a child are false.

March 18 -- Yesterday evening, a report was received of a potential man overboard on Carnival Triumph which was confirmed through a review of the vessel's camera footage. The missing guest is a 54-year-old male. The ship is presently conducting search and rescue operations in conjunction with Mexican authorities who also have vessels on site at a location off the coast of northern Mexico in the Gulf of Mexico.

Carnival Triumph was on the last leg of a four-day cruise from Galveston, Texas. The ship's arrival into Galveston tomorrow is expected to be delayed until approximately 11 a.m.

Our foremost care and concern is with the loved ones of our missing guest at this very difficult time. Carnival's CareTeam is providing support to the individual's traveling companions.

Thank you for going the extra mile to get correct information. How rumors like this (the victim being a child) get started are beyond me.

You may want to make sure you have the true facts before judging. It was not a young boy, it was a 54 year old man.

While you may not like Clear Solution's post, it is true regardless of whether it is a child or an adult. Situational Awareness would probably cut the amount of man overboards in half! Those that are not suicides are usually people who are doing something really stupid and not being responsible.

I don't believe I have ever heard of a true accidental overboard, where the guest was walking along and fell overboard. Has anyone heard of this actually happening on a cruise? Most are people who make bad decisions or think they are invincible (alcohol involved or not) and do something like climb over a railing or try to balance on the lifeboats, etc.

While I agree that this is very sad and I am not trying to take away from the seriousness of what has happened, it probably could have been prevented. Clear Solution has nailed the problem.

Thank you for going the extra mile to get correct information. How rumors like this (the victim being a child) get started are beyond me.

I apologize for the mis-information. I had googled it, and found it on 2 different sites as a child overboard.

I apologize for the mis-information. I had googled it, and found it on 2 different sites as a child overboard.

I'm not blaming you. I realize you found the information elsewhere. Do you know a member of Congress made a short speech about Bob Hope noting that he recently died. Bob Hope heard it, since he was in fact still alive (at the time).

I personally have been in two car accidents I never even knew about, until someone told me about it. I believe I died in one of the car crashes.

In a rush to publish first, many news reporters do not verify the information they are given. The problem is, once a news organization publishes the information, most people believe it is accurate. And granted, it usually is - but not always.

How is it that Houstone News found a body, did it wash ashore or was it found by helicopter and the news alerted the authorities?

here is the link for channel 2 out of Houston with the breaking news.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/body-found-believed-to-be-of-carnival-triumph-passenger-who-went-overboard/31866004

Wow ... Carnival has an overboard problem.

I have been aboard a ship where someone went overboard. We never did hear if it was a suicide or an accident but supposedly she was in her cabin "alone" and was sitting on the balcony railing. We never heard if they could prove that she was truly alone either.

FYI - it WAS NOT a Carnival ship. This is happening more frequently but I see it on Carnival, RC and others.

I thought ships had sensors on them so they know if something big goes overboard? Then they can check their cameras right away and see if it was a person. That would make sense to me.

To the best of my knowledge, only DCL has installed these sensors. While folks like Walker over on Cruise Law News claims they are "mandated" by the Passenger Safety Act, that act only applies to US flag ships, of which there is exactly one (though it probably applies to some of the smaller US coastal cruises and ferries).

I don't normally chime in on these conversations but as someone who has suffered loss throughout my life, the worse being my 8 yo grand-daughter....the why's only matter to those who have never suffered an unbearable loss. That is the only way some of the statements on this thread could be substantiated, their losses obviously not of the unbearable kind. I hope all those that have made such rude and un-founded speculations in an incident that cost a person his life never, ever have to eat those words, I truly do. I know after losing (and probably before, but definitely afterwards) my grand-daughter, I grieve for those that lose someone so dear to them, no matter the cause...loss is loss, pain is pain, grief is grief.... regardless. I pray to my God that he grant peace to those loved ones left behind.

I don't normally chime in on these conversations but as someone who has suffered loss throughout my life, the worse being my 8 yo grand-daughter....the why's only matter to those who have never suffered an unbearable loss. That is the only way some of the statements on this thread could be substantiated, their losses obviously not of the unbearable kind. I hope all those that have made such rude and un-founded speculations in an incident that cost a person his life never, ever have to eat those words, I truly do. I know after losing (and probably before, but definitely afterwards) my grand-daughter, I grieve for those that lose someone so dear to them, no matter the cause...loss is loss, pain is pain, grief is grief.... regardless. I pray to my God that he grant peace to those loved ones left behind.

Thank you for saying what I am thinking. When you have lost someone you love, how they are lost doesn't not lessen the grief. It never ceases to amaze me that somehow simple understanding/empathy gets lost in a sea of strangers eager to place blame. A family is suffering right now. How about we focus our energy on offering them our support and condolences?