regal balcony- SMALL?

dptt

The small balcony pic is from the Royal taken when it was first launched by an unknown cruiser.

The large balcony pic was taken by me on my Regal cruise. It is located mid-ship along with many others if you wish to have a larger balcony.

Contrary to some opinions here, I did not pay a premium for this balcony. I actually got it for a sale price because it was located on Emerald deck and listed as obstructed. As you can see, it isn't.:D

We had no issues with noise, lights or peeping toms either.

It really is a surprise to me that two years into the sailing of these ships, people aren't aware of the balcony sizes. If you frequent this site, you would have seen many threads on the subject.

Some of the complainers here actually went ahead and booked the ship not once, but twice, knowing about the balconies. Now they come here to complain about them. Go figure :rolleyes:

My Royal review below has pic of a smaller balcony with a six foot passenger in it.

It may give you a better perspective to judge the size.:D

I'd love to see a picture of a regular balcony with someone on it. I don't think my long legs will fit. We have a minisuite midaft, so it will be the small balcony.

If you take the time to research your cabin and location you can find a larger balcony cabin on both the Regal and Royal....But you must be willing to do some homework and not rely on a TA. Many times the larger balconys will be listed as obstructed and many are not. Some also have bumpouts which you can readily see when reviewing deck plans which depict larger balconies. Also the cabins shown at front of ship on Lido and Marina decks are "hidden gems" with huge balconies and at a cost lower than a regular Deluxe balcony because they are shown as obstructed...obstructed meaning you can't see water straight down because you overlook bow of ship. Great cabins M101-106 and L101- 106

Edited by lcpagejr

After reading all the post, I have one question. In your opinion, can, 2 average size people sit COMFORTABLY on the balcony while having a drink, reading a book, or having a discussion? Thank You

After reading all the post, I have one question. In your opinion, can, 2 average size people sit COMFORTABLY on the balcony while having a drink, reading a book, or having a discussion? Thank You

We do but it requires us to either angle our chairs or have them parallel to the railing (as shown in the photo) but not to comfortably face the water perpendicular to the railing. We don't spend much time on our balcony but still enjoy the view & thus it's okay for us but not for everyone.

If not satisfied, one can always upgrade to a suite.

balcony-royal-princess.jpg

royalprincess-suitebalcony-copy.jpg

It's a shame that you have to pay that much additional just to get enough room to squeeze by a person sitting down without them moving.

It's not even comparable to a regular balcony width on any of the other ships...at no additional price. Of course you did get those padded chairs and a larger table to eat on. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

just got off Regal on Sunday, in a suite the balcony is the same size as the balcony rooms, small, and narrow. An upgrade on the furniture but its so stiff and rusty dont try to adjust, cant walk around the table they put in there, we shoved it in a corner. Cannot sit straight, must angle the chair. NO lounges. All of the balconys are this way. If you are looking at a hump area its likly due to the skywalk that not only looks onto your balcony but into your room as well. Great ship otherwise but wont book that one on purpose again, balconys are important!

These tiny balconies on the new Princess ships is very enlightening.

For one, the various deceptive artist drawings by Princess which are blatantly exaggerated from the actual balcony size. Appears that Princess has gone out of their way to purposely not present the truth to the public.

Secondly why would Princess design and approve such small balconies. Strange that the ship is so much larger but one of the premium guest amenities has been dramatically reduced.

You can change policies and if they don't work put them back in place. BUT when you build something your stuck with the final product.

Yes. [emoji1]

Secondly why would Princess design and approve such small balconies. Strange that the ship is so much larger but one of the premium guest amenities has been dramatically reduced.

The new builds are designed to be revenue generating machines. People who while away the hours on their balconies are typically sitting on their wallets, (figuratively, since the ships are "cashless").

If not satisfied, one can always upgrade to a suite.

royalprincess-suitebalcony-copy.jpg

Oh my goodness. I can see how one of the upright chairs might be pushed back against the glass door to allow room for one's legs, but with the chair in the reclined position as is the one furthest from view, I can't imagine how one could sit there and have space for their legs.

Mom33, thank you for pointing out the build-out hump area balconies on the Emerald deck of the Regal Princess that have larger balconies than the standard and deluxe balconies in other areas. Since the Emerald Deck is right above the Promenade deck, though, and specifically, right above Crooners, did you notice whether there is a noise problem on this deck? Thanks.

obviously the aft cabins have larger balconeys as well as the corner cabins aft. There are also large suite style balconys on the bow on Lido and Marina decks as well as several Deluxe balcony cabins which all have very large balconies... So there are a few but I agree the majority are woefully small

Edited by lcpagejr

Mom33, thank you for pointing out the build-out hump area balconies on the Emerald deck of the Regal Princess that have larger balconies than the standard and deluxe balconies in other areas. Since the Emerald Deck is right above the Promenade deck, though, and specifically, right above Crooners, did you notice whether there is a noise problem on this deck? Thanks.

We were on the starboard side of the ship, above Facets. We had no problems with noise. I can't say for sure if Crooners could be heard on the port side of the ship or how late the piano is played.

We will find out in November when we cruise the Regal again. This time we will be over Crooners. :D