Mods, please allow: Cruise Ship passengers among the victims in Tunisia

http://www.cruisearabiaonline.com/south-africa-cruise-news/2015/03/19/MSC-Cruises-confirm-South-African-among-the-12-injured-and-a-further-9-dead-in-Tunisia-terror-attack

It looks like MSC have confirmed that they have confirmed passenger deaths and still some unaccounted for. Not sure how reliable the website is I just found it by chance.

http://www.cruisearabiaonline.com/south-africa-cruise-news/2015/03/19/MSC-Cruises-confirm-South-African-among-the-12-injured-and-a-further-9-dead-in-Tunisia-terror-attack

It looks like MSC have confirmed that they have confirmed passenger deaths and still some unaccounted for. Not sure how reliable the website is I just found it by chance.

It's true. They've posted on the MSC facebook page - so very sad http://www.msccruises.co.uk/uk_en/About-MSC-Cruises/News/MSC-Cruises-Official-Statement-Tunisia-Events.aspx

and Costa have confirmed 13 passengers did not return to the ship

Edited by Bobal

It is so very sad. That is why I will never sail North Africa, Turkey, or the Arabian Peninsula.

While it is very sad, why does this bombing make all of that region more unsafe than the US after the Boston terrorist bombing?

While it is very sad, why does this bombing make all of that region more unsafe than the US after the Boston terrorist bombing?

Yes - or Sydney after the shootings?

There are very few countries anywhere in the world these days that are not susceptible to terrorism unfortunately.

Costa just confirmed they have set sail. They have 13 passengers who did not make it back to ship. They have assistance teams in Tunis to assist.

Sad day.

I wonder how does cruise ship, handle the rest of the cruise? Is it returning immediately to its homeport -- the overall atmosphere on the ship, is unimaginable in my mind.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/12360-costa-update-on-tunis-situation.html

Costa Crociere has issued the following statement:

Statement by Michael Thamm, CEO of Costa Group:

"With great sadness we regret to report that 3 passengers of the Costa Fascinosa are amongst the victims of this barbaric and horrific terror attack in Tunis, and further 8 guests are injured. In addition 2 remain unaccounted for. We strongly condemn the attack on democratic Tunisia. Our deepest sympathy and our condolences go to the victims and their families. We share their sorrow.

Our team in Tunis is currently taking care of the companions of the victims and the 8 guests who are being treated in hospitals. A further Costa management team is supporting our crew and our guests on board. In the meantime, Costa Fascinosa has left Tunisia and is currently at sea.

We are in constant contact with the Italian Government and the security authorities of Tunisia as well as of other countries. We would like to thank the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs and his structure for their co-operation."

There is no where that is immune to the actions of orthodox believers who are convinced that the eradication of non believers is their sacred duty. We can all point to an event or events and justify why a belief that travel to those places should be avoided. For us, the US State Dept issues a list of places where the possibility of danger is present and a risk level is ascribed. Cruise lines are aware of these places where warnings are elevated ( such as New Providence Bahamas, Rotan Honduras and almost all of the middle eastern Countries). One "incident" will not result in a place being put on the warning list.

I wonder if this is a port where people do excursions on their own. I was just in Cozumel, for example, and did a non-ship excursion. I wonder what happens with those passengers when something like this happens. What an awful situation. Thoughts and prayers with all of those involved.

If you do not know, I won't even attempt to explain it to you.

Because you can't.

First, this is horrible tragedy. Those poor families and loved ones of those hurt by this situation. It's awesome to see so many around the globe reaching out to them.

Second, evil is evil. Whether it's in Boston, Tunis, St. Lucia, or Timbuktu these events are disgusting. It's not less rotten because it happened in your country and you don't want people to have a bad impression of your people.

I hope those still missing are found safe.

My wife is seriously concerned about out T/A in May. We disembark in Bacelona. I agree it can happen anywhere. I was in NY on 9/11. But at least here, in most of the states I can defend and protect myself.

My wife is seriously concerned about out T/A in May. We disembark in Bacelona. I agree it can happen anywhere. I was in NY on 9/11. But at least here, in most of the states I can defend and protect myself.

This was ISIS. They are trained assassins. Even if every tourist on those buses had handguns, the result probably would've been the same.

Big European cities are extremely well guarded. You should feel as safe going to Barcelona as you would anywhere else.

I wonder how does cruise ship, handle the rest of the cruise? Is it returning immediately to its homeport -- the overall atmosphere on the ship, is unimaginable in my mind.

Both of these ships do inter-porting, meaning they take on passengers at several homeports.

One of the MSC busses directly attacked was carrying only Spanish speaking tourists. They were at the end of their cruise and were returning tomorrow back to Barcelona.

The media accounts have been very dramatic. One passenger tells of the separation for his wife and the return to the ship.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2015/03/19/inenglish/1426752983_786823.html

Others onboard were returning to Marseille, France on Saturday and Genoa, Italy on Sunday and then to Civitavecchia on Monday.

I also think of the passengers embarking in Barcelona tomorrow, but they now have confirmation that the ship will not return to Tunisia on their sailing. They have added Valleta, Malta for the rest of the sailings for the Splendida.

amen to that

Amen to that

You run the (miniscule) risk of a terror attack in any major city and I'm not sure being able to defend yourself would be effective in those situations. Tunisia had a high rate of ISIS fighters in Syria/Iraq and grapples with that brand of thought within its own borders. If you add the results of the Arab Spring, the rise of ISIS, and the region it's in, Tunisia stands a much higher chance of this type of event than other places you might visit would.

Go and enjoy Barcelona. It is absolutely safe and was one of my favorite places when I went last summer. The only thing I would be vigilant about is protecting your belongings from pickpocketers. You should just be aware of your surroundings like you would in any major city.

Europe is no less safe, and no more susceptible, to these sad events than North America.

I'm going on a cruise of the UAE & Oman later this year and I will admit, this makes me feel a bit iffy, but the UAE & Oman should be totally fine. The only thing this event really does make me question is whether it is worth arranging private excursions ourselves compared to taking ship ones like what we normally do to avoid any delays going back to the ship. Going with the ship gives you and the rest of your group a huge "hey, we are 50 people in this bus, probably all Western" label, which isn't the most attractive.

Tunisia is Africa, it has nothing to do with Europe. As a matter of fact, Tunisia is still a 3rd world country.

Traveling to Europe is as safe as travelling within the US.

Maybe explained incorrectly. I have been in Tunisia and have friends there. However while in Europe also we had some security issues.. This people spread fast and you should always be alert…

Press release on Costa Cruise webpage states 12 from their ship and 12 from the other but some are unaccounted for. Very sad!

Edited by vacationers