Princess and the Solo Cruiser

GeeDunk

I was very interested in the Nov. 9, 2016 Pacific Princess, 12 day, VCE/VCE cruise.

So, checked the Princess Web Site, to check pricing, on an Inside Cabin.

What I found:

Price (pp) dual occupancy: $2,399.00

Price Solo: $4,598.00:confused:

Has Princess started charging Solos %190 for an Inside Cabin:(:confused:

The usual Solo premium, for an Inside Cabin, was %150/160.

If they have, then many Solos, including me, will look elsewhere.

I was very interested in the Nov. 9, 2016 Pacific Princess, 12 day, VCE/VCE cruise.

What I found:

Yeap. The pricing is very high this year for solos. I priced out Emerald Princess repo to Melbourne. Not cheap. I am looking at Princess TA on Pacific cause I need to try a little ship. But can't decide at moment.

But all the cruiselines have jacked up their pricing it seems. RCL and Celebrity are not great for solos either they normally charge the same price for 2 people.

Edited by icat2000

What I found:

They have not started, thats pretty much the norm.

Factors are the ship (small) cruise (Venice).

Yeap. The pricing is very high this year for solos. I priced out Emerald Princess repo to Melbourne. Not cheap. I am looking at Princess TA on Pacific cause I need to try a little ship. But can't decide at moment.

But all the cruiselines have jacked up their pricing it seems. RCL and Celebrity are not great for solos either they normally charge the same price for 2 people.

They have not started, thats pretty much the norm.

Factors are the ship (small) cruise (Venice).

Just checked the Web Site again, Price now is $4,798.00; up from $4,598.00.

A %200 Solo Premium.

Guess that I will have to look/cruise else where.

Pricing is never easy for a solo cruiser, I've been doing it since 1982. Years ago, things were better but not so much anymore.

I noticed the single rate is higher for the Grand Adventure I just booked compared to the 25 days I booked on the Emerald last year. I really want to do this particular cruise so I'll just bite the bullet and do it.

What I found:

It's known as "SINGLE SUPPLEMENT" which means your allowed to travel 'SOLO' however, you pay for two. You have 2 options, you can either travel with a Solo Traveler together sharing a stateroom or you may try NCL which offers 'Singles' accommodations which don't charge for double occupancy!

Happy cruising :cool:

Just checked pricing my past cruises on the small Princess ships.

All Solo pricing was 150/160%

RP I 18 days North Cape R/T South Hampton

RP II Total of three cruise; one over Christmas/New Years.

Total of 38 days on the RP II

PP 14 days Alaska

Future 50th Anniversary Cruise in Dec.

Pricing this year is very high on the small ships for Solos.

Just going to book the PP for Nov.2016; can always cancel.

Do not like to book/cancel.

Then, check out Air Fare when it becomes available.

Then, check out a three day pre-cruise stay in Venice.

Edited by GeeDunk

With a few exceptions the mainstream cruise lines have gone to charging singles the same as two would cost in the same cabin.

When you think about their revenue models it makes sense. The revenue models plan on a certain amount of revenue per cabin (in most cases full capacity includes some cabins with higher then two occupancy). As such the single person needs to pay the full amount that the cruise line would get for two in the same cabin.

Even then the cruise line will lose money compared to if there was two people. The only savings that a cruise line gets is the food consumption that the second person in the cabin would have consumed. Not a noticeable amount due to how the cruise line purchases, prepares and distributes food. With a single occupying the cabin the revenue models would show less revenue from excursions, alcohol, spa treatments, etc. In other words in addition to cabin revenue (which they take care of by charging double) they lose the potential for all of the on board spending that the second person would do. The crew also loses the tips that other person would have paid on the cabin.

Cyril...have you checked prices & itineraries on P&O's new ship the Britannia? They have several balcony & inside cabins for solo travelers on the P&O version of the Royal-class ships.

Although I don't think they have anything close to the great Princess military OBC that we get. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm not pricing a small ship, Regal is the biggest and my pricing is double for 2016. I have a good TA, I'll get a discount of more than several hundred dollars compared to pricing on the website. In the end it won't be double. I'll get OBCs, from my TA and Princess as I'm using my future cruise credit.

I get what RDC1 is saying, however, if a ship isn't sailing full, and a single passenger is discouraged, one person in a cabin is better than none. I've been dealing with cruise pricing for 30+ years, I get it, plus years ago I sold travel so no surprises. I like doing the longer cruises, interesting itineraries, transatlantic my favorites so I pay! :)

Princess isn't always that wonderful for singles, on pricing and several other things. However, they are better than any other line I've tried. I've more than one walked out of comedians who tell only marriage jokes, making sure to pass directly in front of the CD and mentioning it on the survey. Even though most cruisers, as I semi-jokingly put it, hunt in pairs, we do exist.

Edited by Wehwalt

Cyril...have you checked prices & itineraries on P&O's new ship the Britannia? They have several balcony & inside cabins for solo travelers on the P&O version of the Royal-class ships.

Although I don't think they have anything close to the great Princess military OBC that we get. :(

Hey Frank --

It is the itinerary that interested me.

The Britannia is the same as the Royal/Regal.

Did two TAs:

18 days on the Royal

29 days on the Regal

Sort of "cruised out" on the big ships.

Cyril

RDC1........

Princess has been selling (double occ) singles fares at 150% to 200% for years. Its nothing new. :(

Nowhere did I use the term recently. I also did not say that they have not been doing so for a while. Only that the main line cruise lines have moved more consistently to the 200% number, with only a few exceptions. The 150% is pretty rare on Princess, if you can find it at all.

I focused primarily on why cruise lines charge what they do.

Edited by RDC1

When I priced the Window Suite, I specifically indicated 1 person in the stateroom before going for more information-I had already seen the Per Person rate, and I am paying double with 1 set of port fees $1524.10 for my 2-night cruise Melbourne-Sydney. I was originally looking at a Premium Balcony, but have upgraded to the Disabled Accessible Window Suite as a "Belated 50th Birthday Present" to myself. I will get breakfast in Sabatini's, and able to go to the Platinum, Suite and Elite gathering so will be enjoying some special experiences on the cruise.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Solo travelers get screwed on cruises.

There are some very nice land tour companies that on occasion can offer no solo supplement or a much better reduced pricing than what Princess charges to sail solo.

I have taken advantage of some great land tours in Italy, South Africa,etc that either charged me nothing extra to go solo or at most charged me only 1/3 extra as a solo traveler. Many meals were included on these trips as well as most excursions and a dedicated tour director and local guides. Great way to travel.

It can take some time to shop around so start looking.

If you are an alum of any major university most schools have some wonderful travel programs. I would start looking there-many of them partner with several high quality tour companies and you can locate those websites to find a trip that works with your vacation schedule even it it is independent of your alma mater.

I need to agree prices seem higher this year on Princess. But, I will continue to cruise Princess over other cruise lines due to perks solos are offered. Love the 150 minute internet package on 7 day cruises because I have moved up to Platinum so quickly with the double credit for each solo cruise. Love the departure lounge on disembarkment day.

Edited by midwestsolo

When I priced the Window Suite, I specifically indicated 1 person in the stateroom before going for more information-I had already seen the Per Person rate, and I am paying double with 1 set of port fees $1524.10 for my 2-night cruise Melbourne-Sydney. I was originally looking at a Premium Balcony, but have upgraded to the Disabled Accessible Window Suite as a "Belated 50th Birthday Present" to myself. I will get breakfast in Sabatini's, and able to go to the Platinum, Suite and Elite gathering so will be enjoying some special experiences on the cruise.

Crochetcruise :cool:

For a 2 night cruise? :eek:

Solo travelers get screwed on cruises.

There are some very nice land tour companies that on occasion can offer no solo supplement or a much better reduced pricing than what Princess charges to sail solo.

Back when I had a cruise companion, we took tours (both sea and river) with

the land tour companies.

Recall talking with a few solos and recall them mentioning how reasonable the solo premium was.

I have looked at the land tour companies; however, didn't see any thing interesting.

Happy travelling;)

Big difference between the cruise ship cost and revenue structure and a land tour.

On a land tour a the only place where a tour company is negatively impacted is when it comes to the hotel rooms and even there many hotels in Europe and Asia have lower cost single rooms. Unlike a cruise line where most of the costs are fixed (crew costs, ship operational costs, capital acquisition costs, etc.), most of the tour company costs are somewhat variable. The key item is that unlike a cruise ship where the unused bunk cannot be sold, a land tour can sell the seat on the bus to another passenger, they just have to make sure that they can get two instead of one room at each hotel for each single sold. Land tours also don't have the same degree of lost opportunity costs because they can sell the other seat and also because they don't make money on selling the things that cruise lines make their profits on (gambling, alcohol, spa treatments, etc).

So considering the difference a 25 -30% single supplement to cover the additional hotel costs and the difficulty of selling the single spot would make sense.