Princess and the Solo Cruiser

GeeDunk

Hey Frank --

It is the itinerary that interested me.

The Britannia is the same as the Royal/Regal.

Did two TAs:

18 days on the Royal

29 days on the Regal

Sort of "cruised out" on the big ships.

Cyril

After the Royal TA with you we're sailing on a Regal TA next month...hope you'll find the best combination of itinerary, ship & price that is best for you. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hi,

In my experience, Princess treats solo cruisers better than some of the lines. The supplement seems to vary a lot depending on the ship, itinerary, date, stateroom type, etc. If you look closely, Princess still has decent prices for singles on certain cruises.

For example, I am booked on the Ruby Princess to the Mexican Riviera (seven-day cruise departing on Nov. 8, 2015). According to the Princess website, a single can take this cruise in an inside stateroom for under $1,000 and an outside stateroom for slightly over $1,100 (prior to port taxes). I think these prices are pretty reasonable. In the late 1990s, I was typically paying approximately $1,800 as a single in an inside stateroom on seven-day cruises.

Also, I like the way that Princess gives singles a double credit for cruises taken. Even though I have only taken 12 Princess cruises (some solo and some with a friend), I recently made it to the Elite level (I have 15 Princess cruise credits).

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

I was very interested in the Nov. 9, 2016 Pacific Princess, 12 day, VCE/VCE cruise.

So, checked the Princess Web Site, to check pricing, on an Inside Cabin.

What I found:

Price (pp) dual occupancy: $2,399.00

Price Solo: $4,598.00:confused:

Has Princess started charging Solos %190 for an Inside Cabin:(:confused:

The usual Solo premium, for an Inside Cabin, was %150/160.

If they have, then many Solos, including me, will look elsewhere.

All solo including Interior cabins are priced at double occupancy now with Princess...

Hi,

According to the Princess website, for the Crown Princess seven-day Pacific Coastal cruise that departs on April 2, 2016, the lowest double occupancy price for an interior stateroom is $649. The single occupancy rate for the same stateroom is $1038.40. This is only a 60% single supplement.

Chuck

My Regal 2016 Grand Adventure is just under double, but more because my TA gives me a great discount, not Princess pricing. It is definitely more than I paid for my Emerald Grand Adventure last year, which was around 165% for a single.

3 of us are doing a cruise on Dawn Princess in Australia in 3 weeks, 2 in one cabin and me in the other. I'm paying the same cabin price as they are (ie double their per-person cost) but that's better than P&O which wouldn't even let me book a solo cabin at all, at any price. P&O said (in February) that the next available solo cabin on any Aust cruise was in November. When I asked why I couldn't book a cabin all to myself on cruises where there was plenty of cabin availability they said "there are weight and balance issues for the ship with solo occupant cabins". So ridiculous you've got to laugh. Or maybe report them to the Human Rights Commission for discrimination :D

Since the 2016 European cruises opened for booking yesterday I have priced half a dozen or more different cruises. I only looked at inside cabins and all of them were priced at 200% for a single person. It used to be the cruises that I was looking at would be priced at about 160%. I will be on one of them and a transatlantic later this year. I ended up booking the cruises I want for 2016, but I know that if the price doesn't come way down I will be canceling those bookings. There was also no past passenger discount at all. I priced the cruises before signing in and after signing in, and the prices were the same.

3 of us are doing a cruise on Dawn Princess in Australia in 3 weeks, 2 in one cabin and me in the other. I'm paying the same cabin price as they are (ie double their per-person cost) but that's better than P&O which wouldn't even let me book a solo cabin at all, at any price. P&O said (in February) that the next available solo cabin on any Aust cruise was in November. When I asked why I couldn't book a cabin all to myself on cruises where there was plenty of cabin availability they said "there are weight and balance issues for the ship with solo occupant cabins". So ridiculous you've got to laugh. Or maybe report them to the Human Rights Commission for discrimination :D

OMG that is laughable! Those that think it is a business profit issue that a solo cruiser is charged double (or not allowed to book in this case) is not really a good business decision. There are many people that book as 2 in a cabin, get the promotions such as beverage packages, dining packages, OBC or gratuities paid for, that contribute nothing to the profits of a cruise or spend no more money on the ship; actually this is not uncommon. So the thought that a solo passenger is considered a no profit situation is not rationale at all. Treat solo cruisers poorly and a cruise line will be boycotted; solo or not. It has been discussed on these boards.

It makes me laugh when a cruise line treats solo cruisers poorly; if someone is willing to pay extra why would you think they do not have or would more than likely be willing to spend money.

Really bad marketing research............:cool: This explains a lot of the desperate actions of the cruise lines in order to get customers.

For a 2 night cruise? :eek:

Yes, Australian prices seem expensive compared to the USA. That's the worst of having a comparatively small market! Equally, I understand that I wouldn't be able to book the cheaper prices from Australia were I able to travel to the US to cruise, I'd still be paying higher prices.

There's only the Caribbean, Golden and Grand Princesses with the Window Suites, and I think the Regal Princess with a Disabled Accessible Penthouse Suite as choices for me, so itineraries might be a bit limited if I want the "spoiling" of a Suite. I chose to upgrade as the Window Suites are on Fiesta Deck, at least 3-5 decks below the Premium Balcony Stateroom with Disabled Accessibility I was looking at.

I was warned to get at least a porthole with a good view of the sky-used to be a right horror for car sickness as a kid and now more than a little paranoid travelling alone! Another useful tip was to get as low in the ship as possible to hopefully control seasickness, and I will organise prescribed medication that I've taken before so known to tolerate it!

Think I'm DEFINITELY overanalysing things! I've learnt such lots from reading the Forums!

This time in 392 days time I'll be in Melbourne, checked into the hotel, and heading out to buy a particularly filling snack to bring with me so I shouldn't have much trouble enjoying Cocktails-I already know to restrict myself to 1 per hour (unless it's the "do" in Skywalkers for a Nightcap!), and alternate with both a Mocktail and a Soda, or even double of both, before having another Cocktail for maximum safety!

The big unknown for me is how I will cope balance-wise with the motion of the ship, that's being the most challenging to plan safely for. I did read the tip about making SURE you have rubber-soled shoes, I will also make sure mine are Velcro-fastened as I need to fly, and these are easier with Airport Security-told to me by an Airport Security Guard, most generous of him to pass the information on!

Crochetcruise :cool:

I priced Alaska cruises roundtrip out of Vancouver for mid May through June. Pricing (including taxes and port charges) came in anywhere from $1,500.00 through $2,500.00 for an obstructed ov cabin for a one week cruise.

I also priced a pacific coastal cruise from LA to Vancouver which came in at $1,066.20 for a obstructed ov cabin for the 5/2 cruise on the Golden Princess. This price includes an onboard credit of $50.

So I booked this cruise two days after I received this quote. I figure pricing is all supply and demand. There is a good thread on the solo cruise board that folks post their cruise deals.

Faith

Censored version YIPES! I'm glad I found the Golden Princess itinerary and changed from the Pacific Jewel then. As a Disabled person who is also er-plump, I might be in trouble with P & O. What ROTTEN Customer Service!

I know the proportion of cruisers NEEDING Disabled Accessible Staterooms on each cruise is limited, but at least Princess Cruises has stronger requirements to comply with. Even though the cruise will be approximately $600 extra, I'm happy with the new experiences travelling for embarkation and disembarkation which will increase MY personal knowledge and ability to help others, and am saving to pay the extra very happily! some of the ships do have a Mini-Suite with a Roll-In shower, so more options should I choose to give up the "Suite" perks. Afraid I might become too "attached" to the spoiling. Oh well, careful saving for a cruise every couple of years is better than no cruising at all!

I didn't dare post what I wanted to say about the patronising attitude from P .& O.

I just booked an single interior cabin on an Eastern Caribbean for next February. The single cost for my sailing was about 172% of the double occupancy. This basically means that Princess is taking 28% less for that cabin than if booked for 2 people. My theory is that they will charge a higher single supplement if they think the cruise will sell out and thus not "lose" any money on single cabins. After all Princess is a for profit business, and it is up to us solo travelers to determine what is acceptable to us personally.

Edited by Jase0581
typo

Censored version YIPES! I'm glad I found the Golden Princess itinerary and changed from the Pacific Jewel then. As a Disabled person who is also er-plump, I might be in trouble with P & O. What ROTTEN Customer Service!

I know the proportion of cruisers NEEDING Disabled Accessible Staterooms on each cruise is limited, but at least Princess Cruises has stronger requirements to comply with. Even though the cruise will be approximately $600 extra, I'm happy with the new experiences travelling for embarkation and disembarkation which will increase MY personal knowledge and ability to help others, and am saving to pay the extra very happily! some of the ships do have a Mini-Suite with a Roll-In shower, so more options should I choose to give up the "Suite" perks. Afraid I might become too "attached" to the spoiling. Oh well, careful saving for a cruise every couple of years is better than no cruising at all!

I didn't dare post what I wanted to say about the patronising attitude from P .& O.

Keep in mind though, the newest P&O ship actually has single cabins which I don't believe any Princess ship has

[quote name='annalouise']... [COLOR=Red]When I asked why I couldn't book a cabin all to myself on cruises where there was plenty of cabin availability they said "there are weight and balance issues for the ship with solo occupant cabins"[/COLOR]. So ridiculous you've got to laugh. Or maybe report them to the Human Rights Commission for discrimination :D[/quote]

Now that is ridiculous! What a stupid response!

I'm really glad Princess doesn't restrict what cabins solo's can book! I often travel solo - and the single supplement will vary depending on the itinerary, cabin, time of year, just to mention a few variables, and often when there are sales, solos are excluded. It isn't fair, but it is what it is.

In the past, I've seen cruises in Inside and OV cabins run from about 130% to 200%. Balcony and above are almost always 200%. I recently got great deals for solo cabins: one through a flash sale and another through a fluke sale (that just happened to turn up on the website for a couple hours). I have looked at some of the new cruises listed and they do seem higher than normal for inside cabins. Maybe Princess is beginning high and will have sales or offers intermittently instead of just offering a lower price to start with. It is all about supply and demand. If they can sell the cabins for a higher price....well, why not. They can always offer specials later to fill up the cabins. Solo cruisers have to be diligent and watch for deals. Some cruises never offer a deal and you just have to pay the price if you really want it. Edited by KruzPrincess

[quote name='Cruisercl']OMG that is laughable! Those that think it is a business profit issue that a solo cruiser is charged double (or not allowed to book in this case) is not really a good business decision. There are many people that book as 2 in a cabin, get the promotions such as beverage packages, dining packages, OBC or gratuities paid for, that contribute nothing to the profits of a cruise or spend no more money on the ship; actually this is not uncommon. So the thought that a solo passenger is considered a no profit situation is not rationale at all. Treat solo cruisers poorly and a cruise line will be boycotted; solo or not. It has been discussed on these boards.

It makes me laugh when a cruise line treats solo cruisers poorly; if someone is willing to pay extra why would you think they do not have or would more than likely be willing to spend money.
Really bad marketing research............:cool: This explains a lot of the desperate actions of the cruise lines in order to get customers.[/QUOTE]

While all of us can talk about people that don't spend, or other ad-hoc statements about people that don't drink, don't buy excursions, etc, the cruise lines have all of the real data concerning what their passengers spend. They base their decisions upon that data. Apparently based upon that data they have decided that a solo cruiser is not as profitable or at least requires paying the same cabin rate as two would spend. While there might be exceptions the decisions are usually based upon averages by whatever demographic structure they think is appropriate. NCL did a solution by designing specific solo cruiser cabins on their new ships that a considerably smaller then a normal cabin.

[quote name='Astro Flyer']After the Royal TA with you we're sailing on a Regal TA next month...hope you'll find the best combination of itinerary, ship & price that is best for you. :)[/QUOTE]

Booked the Cruise yesterday.

Ball-Parked RT Air and three days, pre-Cruise, in VCE.
A little over my Cruise budget; however, doable.

Have a great Cruise on the Regal.

[quote name='kruisey']All solo including Interior cabins are priced at double occupancy now with Princess...[/QUOTE]

It appears that Princess is "picking/choosing" which cruise to price Inside Cabins at %200.
I see that your Sept. 2016 Emerald (medium sized Ship) has a %200 Solo Premium.

Enjoy your Cruise:D

[quote name='seacruise9']Hi,

According to the Princess website, for the Crown Princess seven-day Pacific Coastal cruise that departs on April 2, 2016, the lowest double occupancy price for an interior stateroom is $649. The single occupancy rate for the same stateroom is $1038.40. This is only a 60% single supplement.

Chuck[/QUOTE]

Normally, Inside - Solo have a %150/160 Solo Premium.
However, as I mentioned above,[U][I] some [/I][/U]Cruises have a %200 Solo Premium.

As I mentioned in a previous Post, all of my "R" Class Cruises had a %150/160 Solo Premium (including the Dec. 3 Pacific 50th Anniversary Cruise).

[quote name='GeeDunk']It appears that Princess is "picking/choosing" which cruise to price Inside Cabins at %200.
I see that your Sept. 2016 Emerald (medium sized Ship) has a [COLOR=Red]%200 Solo Premium.[/COLOR]

Normally, Inside - Solo have a %150/160 Solo Premium.
However, as I mentioned above,[U][I] some [/I][/U]Cruises have a [COLOR=Red]%200 Solo Premium.[/COLOR]

As I mentioned in a previous Post, all of my "R" Class Cruises had a [COLOR=Red]%150/160 Solo Premium[/COLOR] (including the Dec. 3 Pacific 50th Anniversary Cruise).[/quote]

The price for a solo may be at 200% or 150%/160% in your examples, but the premium is only 100% or 50%/60%.