ms Amsterdam GI outbreak World Cruise 2015

gymswim

I'm in Dubai at the cruise terminal having been off the ship for four days doing the Holland America overland trip to the Taj Mahal which as fabulous, by the way.

As I write, the ship is still undergoing a deep cleaning mentioned by TAKE US AWAY and we were told we can gain access to our cabins at 4pm. Thankfully all of us on the tour remain healthy and we just hope we escaped the outbreak and the code Red the ship has been experiencing.

Just heard from friends on the WC and thought I would pass on the info. They docked into Dubai without any hassles. Everyone does have to get off the ship as the crew is doing some 'deep cleaning', i.e. steam cleaning public areas and washing cabin walls, etc. [Had this happen to us once and we had to be off the ship between 9 and 2 so HAL arranged a city tour and a buffet lunch for everyone]. They had dinner with the captain last night and asked him specifically about possibly cancelling the rest of the cruise and just sailing back to the US. He laughed and made a comment about 'someone's speculations that have now turned into huge rumors'.

More common would be fogging all areas, public and cabin, with a disinfecting agent like Virkon, which has a persistency on both hard and soft surfaces when applied in a fog. However, this requires personal protective gear to apply, so they will get everyone off the ship. The laundry machines will be reset to medical settings (there is usually one "red bag" washer all the time), of higher water temperatures, longer wash cycles, and more bleach. Unfortunately, if someone is contagious, and reboards after this deep cleaning, it could all be for naught, if this person spreads the virus around the ship again.

What about the people they came in contact with while off the ship? A wonder the port authorities allowed the sick passengers to get off the ship. I don't how to handle the problem, but allowing them off the ship doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

What about the people they came in contact with while off the ship? A wonder the port authorities allowed the sick passengers to get off the ship. I don't how to handle the problem, but allowing them off the ship doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

This is not like you are turning thousands of people with incurable diseases into a city. There are probably more people with noro already in Dubai than got off the ship. This is not a fatal disease, and just like at disembarkation in the US, passengers with noro are allowed to disembark just like anyone else. Whether the local health authorities feel that quarantine is required is up to them. What about ports of call on a cruise that has a few cases of noro, do you quarantine them from going ashore? That is a question for the local health officials, who routinely ask for the medical reports whenever a ship arrives in port.

When the passengers are required to be off the ship for the cleaning, are any special provisions made for those who are already sick?

For example, suppose a passenger is sick with noro, doing exactly what he is supposed to do, staying in his cabin. Has reported it to medical. I know when I had it once (once was more than enough), I wouldn't have had the strength to sit up, let alone get dressed and leave the ship.

Are people like this also forced off the ship? Are they helped at all?

When the passengers are required to be off the ship for the cleaning, are any special provisions made for those who are already sick?

For example, suppose a passenger is sick with noro, doing exactly what he is supposed to do, staying in his cabin. Has reported it to medical. I know when I had it once (once was more than enough), I wouldn't have had the strength to sit up, let alone get dressed and leave the ship.

Are people like this also forced off the ship? Are they helped at all?

I'm sure its the same as if you were down with noro on disembark day. They try to keep those in quarantine separate from the other passengers in the terminal, and if you couldn't walk, I'm sure they would give wheelchair assist.

Thank you for your reply, although I don't at all care for the procedure posited! To me, disembark day is different, as you don't have a lot of choice about leaving the ship. Since in transit passengers are going right back on, I would hope that something could be done to make it easier. Leave them in their cabins, and clean around them? This at least sounds reasonable, if they are otherwise compliant, although I realize there may be other factors I've not considered.

Move them to the Infirmary and let them lie down there until the deep cleaning is done?

Thank you for your reply, although I don't at all care for the procedure posited! To me, disembark day is different, as you don't have a lot of choice about leaving the ship. Since in transit passengers are going right back on, I would hope that something could be done to make it easier. Leave them in their cabins, and clean around them? This at least sounds reasonable, if they are otherwise compliant, although I realize there may be other factors I've not considered.

Move them to the Infirmary and let them lie down there until the deep cleaning is done?

The only problem I can see with letting those poor people stay in their cabins is if they are using foggers (as suggested by chengkp75) which require special precautions it may be unsafe for the passenger. Also, they might not be able to get any food or any else delivered during the clean up because the crew will be busy.

I sympathize with them, though. When I had what I believe was noro (in my area when you are at home and don't go to the doctor it's called the "24 hour" flu) I didn't want to leave my bedroom/bathroom.

When we had to get off the ship for deep cleaning, they made provisions for the sick people in the terminal in a separate cordoned area. We were, nor were friends, sick so did not see the particulars but there was no super grumbling when everyone was allowed back on. IMO, as a retired medical professional and a passenger, HAL did a great job for everyone involved.

Maybe gymswim can provide additional information??

Edited by take us away

When we had to get off the ship for deep cleaning, they made provisions for the sick people in the terminal in a separate cordoned area. We were, nor were friends, sick so did not see the particulars but there was no super grumbling when everyone was allowed back on. IMO, as a retired medical professional and a passenger, HAL did a great job for everyone involved.

Maybe gymswim can provide additional information??

I was really trying to find out what they for those folks who were ill.

Ann

Thanks a lot for responding with your experiences.

I often wonder if Imodium is worth the bother to buy and lug along on cruises. It is good to know it helped you!

I never go anywhere without Imodium, Peto-Bismol, Lactaid, Benadryl and Macrobid. The best scenario is we don't use any of it. But we have it if needed. I can't imagine having to disembark with a GI infection. I usually carry Poise too. This is my way of being prepared. Now I will add masks and gloves.

I hope we never face this situation but even flying we take precautions.

All that keeps nagging at me is access to a restroom. What are these people who are ill supposed to do about restroom while off the ship? Using a public one where others will be exposed would seem to negate any fogging/cleaning the crew is doing.

In John and Diane's WC post yesterday they gave a summary of what will happen with the "super sanitation" efforts in Dubai. They reported that those who do not wish to get off the ship will have options. Cherie

We are enjoying one last day and evening in Dubai before sailing for Oman tomorrow morning at 6am. All of the earlier aforementioned prevention actions by the terrific ship's crew are still being followed. No passengers can serve themselves in the Lido buffet, the library and the fitness center and the jacuzzis have all been closed until further notice. Crew are positioned outside the elevators on the lido deck and on both levels on the La Fontaine dining room to be sure everyone uses hand sanitizer.

We are enjoying one last day and evening in Dubai before sailing for Oman tomorrow morning at 6am. All of the earlier aforementioned prevention actions by the terrific ship's crew are still being followed. No passengers can serve themselves in the Lido buffet, the library and the fitness center and the jacuzzis have all been closed until further notice. Crew are positioned outside the elevators on the lido deck and on both levels on the La Fontaine dining room to be sure everyone uses hand sanitizer.

Thanks for the update but that brings us back to the conversation about the ineffectiveness of hand sanitizer in battling Noro like virus. I suppose if it at least reminds people to wash their hands often, used as an incentive it might be helpful.

Hope they can rid the ship of Noro soon so crew can get some rest and you can have the library, gym etc returned to being used.

Thanks for the update but that brings us back to the conversation about the ineffectiveness of hand sanitizer in battling Noro like virus. I suppose if it at least reminds people to wash their hands often, used as an incentive it might be helpful.

Hope they can rid the ship of Noro soon so crew can get some rest and you can have the library, gym etc returned to being used.

You know I agree totally about sanitizers, but they are better than nothing (it will kill some bacteria), and if accompanied by rinsing or wiping on a towel, will work better on noro, but it is mainly a way for the cruise lines to show they are pro-active.

You know I agree totally about sanitizers, but they are better than nothing (it will kill some bacteria), and if accompanied by rinsing or wiping on a towel, will work better on noro, but it is mainly a way for the cruise lines to show they are pro-active.

I've started doing that, as I am now visiting the hospital daily, or twice sometimes, and I have no idea what the hospital puts in their dispensers. I have just been wiping my hands on my coat, after brisk rubbing. Do you think that is enough? People do look at me strangely. Then I suppose I shouldn't touch my coat!

I've started doing that, as I am now visiting the hospital daily, or twice sometimes, and I have no idea what the hospital puts in their dispensers. I have just been wiping my hands on my coat, after brisk rubbing. Do you think that is enough? People do look at me strangely. Then I suppose I shouldn't touch my coat!

Its the alcohol and emollients in the sanitizer that loosens the virus and skin cells (just like soap does), along with your friction (hand rubbing), that would allow you to remove but not kill the virus with a paper towel. I'm afraid that using your coat isn't that good an idea, a single use item like a Kleenex or towel (even a single packet wipe) that is disposed of afterward will remove the virus from your environment.

Its the alcohol and emollients in the sanitizer that loosens the virus and skin cells (just like soap does), along with your friction (hand rubbing), that would allow you to remove but not kill the virus with a paper towel. I'm afraid that using your coat isn't that good an idea, a single use item like a Kleenex or towel (even a single packet wipe) that is disposed of afterward will remove the virus from your environment.

I'll go put some wipes in my pocket right now! Thanks.:)