Seeing the Tracy Arm Fiord on Princess Ruby

Irisagogo

We viewed the glaciers from our balcony. The ship did a 180 so that both sides of the ship would be able to view all the glaciers at the end of Glacier Bay. A lot of people went to the upper deck where the Rangers had a running commentary. As long as you can stand on an outside deck, you will have to a great view.

Edited by Danni3ll3

I am going to Alaska in May. Does anyone know where the best place is to be on the ship to see the glaciers? I need to be able to sit, but I'd like a great view for photos. Thanks for your input.

Your subject line said "Seeing the Tracy Arm Fiord on Princess Ruby" but it's not a Glacier. In the attached* photos, glaciers are on the left. They're both awesomely beautiful, but very different.

If you have a balcony, use it. If not, I'd be on deck.

*I hope they're attached -- first time I've tried this.

95250471_GleftFright.jpg.1d5da2013b3805e58878515d1faae4c6.jpg

Edited by MidwesternCruiser2

The trip through the Tracy Arm Fjord is pretty impressive in and of itself. If you are really lucky, the ship will be close enough to see/take pix of the Sawyer Glacier. I was there a couple or so years ago and luckily we got fairly close to the glacier. Personally I think the best place to be is on any of the outside decks. Keep in mind that the day in the fjord will be COLD!:rolleyes:

Edited by Treven

I think the best spot for seeing Tracy Arm is the front of the ship from the promenade (which is actually on the Emerald Deck). There are not any chairs there to sit. Be sure to dress warmly--gloves, knit hat, and layers. We saw a lot of folks who did not.

I am going to Alaska in May. Does anyone know where the best place is to be on the ship to see the glaciers? I need to be able to sit, but I'd like a great view for photos. Thanks for your input.

You may not be able to see either of them in Tracy Arm, it is early in the season and often the ice is too much. If you can see them somewhere high and on the front of the ship is best, but they will be quiet a way in the distance. This is the place to take the ship excursion.

Do not get this confused with Glacier Bay, there are only two glaciers here and it is a really tight fjord.

The first picture is of the south one:

5858272696_e383145145_b.jpg[/url]

The second picture is of the north one:

5857731325_9d22332a22_b.jpg

Any open space on the ship. Glaciers are large, the ship goes by slowly- you don't have to be in a specified spot at a particular time to see them. They will likely be in view for extended periods.

Maybe true in Glacier Bay but not at Tracy Arm where the OP is cruising.

We were so lucky to be able to go the whole way into Tracy Arm on Oosterdam. The glaciers were fantastic. The scenic cruising the whole time was breathtaking. The waterfalls, wildlife, ice floats........ so beautiful.

We spent most of the day on our verandah and our Captain was terrific about turning the ship so all got full views. We had great weather day and temperatures were quite comfortable.

Hope everyone who goes has as good an experience as we did. :)

We have done that twice now on Rhapsody of the Seas - both times the ship was able to get very close to the glaciers, and the Captain spun the boat around a few times so that everyone got to see everything. It was an amazing trip into the glacier area - lots of ice chunks in the water, some with seals sunning themselves! The second time we were there, a massive chunk of ice calved, and created quite a wave coming toward the ship!! Sounded like a very large cannon booming when it started to crack off. The sun was shining both times we were there, but it was chilly on the top deck - layers are a good idea!!

On the first trip in, the Captain sent out one of the tiny boats with a few crew members and they actually scooped out one of the ice chunks and brought it aboard. You could then have your picture taken standing right beside a mini iceberg - pretty amazing!!

Enjoy your cruise!

Keep in mind, if you are very early in the season, sometimes there is too much ice to go into Tracy Arm. Ships have to turn away sometimes but this year has been so warm in Alaska, hopefully there won't be too much ice. Seems to me I read there was barely ice for the Iditarod.

Thank you all so much for posting your responses. I am very excited about going. I know it is early in the season .. .but I sure hope to see some of the beautiful sites.

If a ship is not able to get into Tracy Arm due to ice conditions Endicott Arm is often substituted. We are going early in the season, too, and I just googled "Endicott Arm". It'll do very nicely as a substitute, IMHO. And if we end up in Endicott Arm, my DH will HAVE to go join me on another cruise to Alaska to see Tracy Arm :eek: :D

Edited by CowPrincess