Thoughts on the Regal Princess

4cats4me

Let me just get this out of the way:

The only things we didn't like:

The odd placement of the toilet paper roll. I have short arms and it was awkward to reach back without feeling like I was going to pull a muscle

The center elevators lack of staircase. We are stairs people and had a midship cabin, and the elevators were not synced right and one out of many would arrive 3-5 minutes later and would always be full.

EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE SHIP WAS FABULOUS!

This was our best cruise ever. ship is gorgeous

crown grill was so good and only $25 p.p.

Alfredo's was very good and we ate there for dinner 2-3 times and had every course on the menu

Loved the 2 for 1 happy hour at Crooner's every day from 3-4 pm

Loved Club 6, albeit, odd placement of dance floor loved the 2 for 1 happy hour at 11 pm every night too

Drink service excellent

Cabin stewardess fabulous. Jocelyn. Caribe room 517 Deluxe room

Enjoyed the mini sofa

We took several photos of outside decks showing placement of emerald deck cabins regarding obstructed views as well as photos of skywalk in relation to upper deck rooms, re: privacy issues. Will post later if anyone is interested

Never ate in main dining room

Buffet nicely laid out.

I will find it quite difficult to have to go back onto the other ships after having experienced this ship

Great entertainment. Much to choose from. So glad that we opted for this instead of Celebrity, since X cut their entertainment staff

LOVED the Enclave

Bought a spa pass for $149 for the week and really utilized it. Most everyone followed spa etiquette except for the loud husband and wife who were shouting at each other from across the large hot tub.

They were there on a spa special daily pass thing and had no regard for others

Perhaps the spa should put up signs reminding people to be quiet.

The jumbo tron for outdoor movies was fantastic!

The love boat disco deck party was loads of fun, one of the best ever

And I finally made Elite level. (After 12 years of sailing Princess)

Edited by 4cats4me

I've sailed twice on the Royal on 17-day cruises and agree with your comments. I really missed the Royal's buffet, Piazza and expanded Alfredo's on my Crown and Grand cruises.

Me too & is why we're going to enjoy the Regal's TA next month. :D

OP...thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Hi,

I have cruised on both the Royal Princess and Regal Princess and think they are beautiful ships. I certainly would not hesitate to sail aboard them again.

Chuck

Totally agree with you. Will be hard to go on any other Princess ship now.

We were on the cruise prior to yours and agree with your points 4CATS .

We also enjoyed the Crown Grill and Alfredo's. We loved the Wine-Makers dinner.

The item that shocked me was that you never ate in the MDR . Wow ! Any particular reason for this ?

Would also like to add: we took a 3-year break from Princess because we were just tired of it and felt that they'd cut corners regarding food, entertainment, and had cut their buffet hours. This was back in 2011. We took a couple X cruises in between and loved X. However, X's bar drinks had declined significantly from 2013-2014, and due to their "free" drink packages, the drinks we felt were significantly lacking and watered down (except at the martini bar) and the specialty cocktail menus had all disappeared. We weren't even on a free drink package and we're paying for our watered down drinks. And bar service was lackluster at best (except at the martini bar)

After our last X cruise last April they cut their activities staff from 6 down to 2.

We decided to give Princess a chance in August and went on the Grand and had such a great time, due to their increased entertainment, and that is why we decided to once again choose Princess for the Caribbean over X. Factors were X's severely increased fares from the preceding years and The fact that we really wanted to try the newer Princess ship. I really thought the cruise would be so-so at best, and it turned out to be the best cruise we've ever had. And I would really like to compliment Princess. They always get it right with the drink service, and they have plenty of frou-frou drinks to choose from:D

The entertainment was plentiful, and we also loved the Mardi Gras party which was held in the atrium on the last night

There was more shrimp in this cruise at the buffet than I've seen in my previous 20 cruises combined. Such a wonderful salad bar with plenty of dressings.

Many new employees had boarded the ship during the week we sailed on the Regal. We spoke with many who had either just gotten on that week, or the day before, or in the case of our cabin steward, the month before.

The flat screens in the cabins were so nice and there was a great selection of music to choose from, especially the Metro music station or the Zen one. There was a great selection of On-Demand movies, too. Liked the little ledge in the shower.

Had a moldy smelling shower curtain upon arrival to the room which was quickly remedied with a fresh shower curtain. But wow. The odor was something else

Edited by 4cats4me

We were on the cruise prior to yours and agree with your points 4CATS .

We also enjoyed the Crown Grill and Alfredo's. We loved the Wine-Makers dinner.

The item that shocked me was that you never ate in the MDR . Wow ! Any particular reason for this ?

We booked crown grill twice and ate at Alfredo's twice and buffet twice and never made it to dinner one night. We just didn't want to be locked into a schedule

. We've gone on long cruises before where we never even made it to any dining room.

:D

Wife and I were on Regal last week and we never ate in the MDR either. Neither did we eat in the MDR last year on CB. We find the MDR to be not worth the hassle. There are too many other options that are more appealing to us.

We all so got off Regal this past Sunday. It is a beautiful ship. The dinning room was good and so was the service. I would go on her again in a minute. The buffet was very good. If I could change one thing about the ship it would be its size. She is really big. I like ships the size of Emerald Princess.

We all so got off Regal this past Sunday. It is a beautiful ship. The dinning room was good and so was the service. I would go on her again in a minute. The buffet was very good. If I could change one thing about the ship it would be its size. She is really big. I like ships the size of Emerald Princess.

Can't have it all.

Hassle? Please explain. Thanks.

The hassle of MDR for us is having a pre-set time to stop what we are doing and get ready, and the actual duration of dinner at MDR. We love the freedom to choose when to eat and not have to change from our shorts to do so. It is understood that many love this about cruising, but we have 'been there done that' many, many times. This is why cruising is so fantastic because passengers can decide what mode they wish to vacation.

There are so many other good options for dinner on this ship. We usually eat dinner in MDR every night but only three night on the Regal. Loved having a quiet dinner in Alfredos. The buffet is so great, We enjoyed eating there a couple of nights.

Was there a different menu in Alfredos for dinner and lunch?

Was there a different menu in Alfredos for dinner and lunch?

No, same menu. Delicious salads and antipasto, pizza, calzones (or maybe it was Stromboli?) and a few other dishes that many folks overlook in favor of the pizza but are really, really good...a ravioli in a sinful cream sauce and an eggplant rollatini.