Solstice tendering in Juneau

illiniwahoo

• 2 weeks later...
The link given before showing the tender schedule isnt opening for me. Can someone tell me if Solstice is docked or tendering for the May 1st cruise? Will be in Juneau on May 4th.

Hi, I could not open that link either but I decided to use my friend

"GOOGLE":D.....and now it opens.....It shows May 4th AJD which is

the dock...not tender. I sail the week after you and it shows AJD for

my cruise too.:)

• 4 weeks later...
On cruises with tendering, it makes sense to spend some extra on cabin and book Concierge or better to get priority tendering advantage, or to book all excursions through the ship which will ensure you are among first off.

I'm not a fan of booking ship excursions, but if I was in a tender port, I would absolutely book a ship excursion if not staying in a suite.

Also Captain's Club elite perks help with priority as well.

My experience in Grand Cayman with tendering was suites got off first before they announced, then Excursions came off before announcements then priority tenders for Elites and other cabins and then general cattle call.

We are Concierge Class and our TA is telling us that we do not get priority tendering. Is there somewhere on Celebrity website I can find this information?

We are Concierge Class and our TA is telling us that we do not get priority tendering. Is there somewhere on Celebrity website I can find this information?

Here's a link to Concierge Class Perks, priority tendering is not one of them....

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/staterooms-concierge-class-stateroom

Our June 12 Solstice cruise, we'll be tendering in Juneau. I had previously called Celebrity and asked them to email me a PDF of the ship's shore excursions guide; the version I was sent listed our itinerary as well as docked vs. tendered for each port. So if you're wondering whether you'll be tendered or docked, try requesting the shore excursion guide and it should provide that info (page 3).

I think we'll probably end up exploring Ketchikan and Skagway on our own via walking tours, but we're definitely going to book a ship excursion in Juneau so we can get an early tender/tour and then enjoy the remainder of the afternoon/evening at our leisure. I figure it's a matter of weighing the excursion cost against the value of our time, so I'd rather pay Celebrity for an excursion than spend hours waiting to collect a tender ticket or to disembark the ship. ;)

~ Shay

We were Concierge Class on the Solstice in late May, early June 2014. We booked a private excursion out of Juneau. To answer the OP's questions, being Concierge gave us no priority. Yes to the question about one person picking up the tendering tickets for the four of us. There was a long line to disembark, but it went fairly quickly (even though from the look of the line length, that didn't seem possible). We had no issue getting to our excursion on time. Tendering back to the ship was no issue at all because not everyone is returning at the same time.

Edited by MissMapp

... Tendering is always an adventure. Parents were in Falkland Islands and waited in line some 5 hours to return to the ship. Weather got worse and worse and they along with a couple hundred others spent the night in town...

We had pretty decent weather in the Falklands. Late afternoon, about 45 minutes before "final" tender. Long line. Nearby pub. It took about two beers before the line was short enough to bother to join. I think the last tender out was about 2 hours past the scheduled time. Hardly anyone was stressing out, we all knew we would be on board in time. Celebrity assistant waiters were on constant patrol with offers of water for those who hadn't adjourned to the pub to watch the line dwindle.

BTW, getting off that morning was straightforward. Two tenders. One for those with priority, one for us hoi paloi. We were on shore about 5 minutes after the first group.

• 1 month later...

We were on the May 29th Solstice sailing which tendered in Juneau. I'll share my actual experience.

We were on the Tracy Arm excursion. This day they did two boats, one larger boat with about 130 people, and one smaller boat with 20 people. We were on the smaller boat. We got back to the cruise ship in Juneau about 2:05 and immediately picked up tender tickets. (the larger boat was back already, and the tour vendor said the the smaller boat travels slightly slower) We were given #36 at approximately 2:10. We were advised that it would take 50 minutes, and that by 3pm last time they tendered they finished all the tender tickets by 3:00. This was not true our week, as we were not on shore until 3:45, and technically got on the tenders with groups 34 and 35 (a few minutes after they called 35 we went down by the lines set up in the atrium. Once the line died down from 34 & 35, the employee at the end of the line asked us our ticket number and let us in line even though we told him #36. They officially called 36 a few minutes later while we were boarding the tender)

We were on the May 29th Solstice sailing which tendered in Juneau. I'll share my actual experience.

We were on the Tracy Arm excursion. This day they did two boats, one larger boat with about 130 people, and one smaller boat with 20 people. We were on the smaller boat. We got back to the cruise ship in Juneau about 2:05 and immediately picked up tender tickets. (the larger boat was back already, and the tour vendor said the the smaller boat travels slightly slower) We were given #36 at approximately 2:10. We were advised that it would take 50 minutes, and that by 3pm last time they tendered they finished all the tender tickets by 3:00. This was not true our week, as we were not on shore until 3:45, and technically got on the tenders with groups 34 and 35 (a few minutes after they called 35 we went down by the lines set up in the atrium. Once the line died down from 34 & 35, the employee at the end of the line asked us our ticket number and let us in line even though we told him #36. They officially called 36 a few minutes later while we were boarding the tender)

A question re your experience with the Tracy Arm Excursion. It sounds like the excursion boat dropped you off directly at the ship? Do you have any suggestions or advice re the excursion. Thanks in advance :)

I've read link after link about tendering and seen good and bad. We've decided to adopt the attitude that we are on vacation and time doesn't matter. We've booked a late afternoon whale watch cruise with a delightful operator.

We plan to get our tender tickets, have a nice slow lunch while we wait and when they call us, they call us.

I'm at a point in my life where it is more important to relax and enjoy then be first and frustrated!

Hope you all enjoy!:D

OMG, I am FREAKING OUT!!!

Of course, I just found out we are tendered on our trip. (When I booked way back in January it said docked but I know all subject to change.)

Needless to say I booked an excursion not through the ship and it leaves at 3:15pm. I am not Elite, I am Select (120 points away) and staying in C1 level that does squat for me.

Chatted with tour company and only other time available is 6:15pm which gets us back to tender at 9:15pm. That worries me as we are scheduled to leave at 10pm.

On the waitlist for the 4pm and 5pm times but I don't want to miss out on this excursion because of the STUPID tender. I am so upset.

Any tips on how to get off the ship fast -- other than being Elite or in a suite?

Edited by fly gal

I've read link after link about tendering and seen good and bad. We've decided to adopt the attitude that we are on vacation and time doesn't matter. We've booked a late afternoon whale watch cruise with a delightful operator.

We plan to get our tender tickets, have a nice slow lunch while we wait and when they call us, they call us.

I'm at a point in my life where it is more important to relax and enjoy then be first and frustrated!

Hope you all enjoy!:D

We had a relaxing lunch and enjoyed a drink on the balcony while waiting, but I still would have rather made it to nugget falls! But taking so long to get off, we only had about 25 mins at mendenhall before our whale watch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OMG, I am FREAKING OUT!!!

Of course, I just found out we are tendered on our trip. (When I booked way back in January it said docked but I know all subject to change.)

Needless to say I booked an excursion not through the ship and it leaves at 3:15pm. I am not Elite, I am Select (120 points away) and staying in C1 level that does squat for me.

Chatted with tour company and only other time available is 6:15pm which gets us back to tender at 9:15pm. That worries me as we are scheduled to leave at 10pm.

On the waitlist for the 4pm and 5pm times but I don't want to miss out on this excursion because of the STUPID tender. I am so upset.

Any tips on how to get off the ship fast -- other than being Elite or in a suite?

Are you going on the tracy arm excursion? If not, DON'T WORRY[emoji2] . Tender tickets were handed out at 10am in front of cellar masters. Check the daily the night before to ensure the same location. If you get to cellarmasters at 930 and wait in line, you should be fine! Got at 9 if you are super worried.

If you are doing tracy arm, maybe meet someone on your roll call and ask then to pick up tender tickets for you? Offer a bottle of wine as a thank you?

A question re your experience with the Tracy Arm Excursion. It sounds like the excursion boat dropped you off directly at the ship? Do you have any suggestions or advice re the excursion. Thanks in advance :)

The excursion was GREAT! One of the highlights of our trip!!!! {It was even worth the delayed tendering into Juneau ;) } I highly recommend taking the excursion. We got SO much closer to both the north and south sawyer glaciers than the ship did. The captain maneuvered through lots of ice and harbor seals to get us so close to the glacier. On the way back through the fjord we saw a bear and an eagle perfectly perched on an iceberg, stopped by two different waterfalls, and had some nice narration. We looked for whales on the way out, but didn't find any. The ship did get a glimpse of the glacier, but nothing like what we saw. Dress warmly in layers. By the glacier it was chilly. There was plenty of inside room, but it was better to be outside for photos.

Yes, the excursion boat dropped us off at the ship.

Are you going on the tracy arm excursion? If not, DON'T WORRY[emoji2] . Tender tickets were handed out at 10am in front of cellar masters. Check the daily the night before to ensure the same location. If you get to cellarmasters at 930 and wait in line, you should be fine! Got at 9 if you are super worried.

If you are doing tracy arm, maybe meet someone on your roll call and ask then to pick up tender tickets for you? Offer a bottle of wine as a thank you?

No, I'm not doing Tracy Arm. I'm doing helicopter glacier with dogsled. This is one of the most expensive excursions I've shelled out for so I'd hate to miss it. I did see X has one too but it's $250 more. Ouch! Thinking it may be worth it for peace of mind though. I don't want to be stressed on vacation.

No, I'm not doing Tracy Arm. I'm doing helicopter glacier with dogsled. This is one of the most expensive excursions I've shelled out for so I'd hate to miss it. I did see X has one too but it's $250 more. Ouch! Thinking it may be worth it for peace of mind though. I don't want to be stressed on vacation.

Maybe there's someone on your roll call who has priority tender, and is doing Tracy Arm or isn't in a hurry and they'd be willing to give you their tickets. It would be worth asking...:)

Maybe there's someone on your roll call who has priority tender, and is doing Tracy Arm or isn't in a hurry and they'd be willing to give you their tickets. It would be worth asking...:)

True. Can't hurt to ask.

The issue with the tracy arm excursion is that we were not on the ship at 10am when tender tickets were given out. As long as you get in line for the tender tickets early, you should be fine. Tender tickets were given out for 4 hours (10am -2pm) before our excursion got us back to the boat for us to pick up tender tickets. I wouldn't spend the extra money for the celebrity excursion, I would just get in line early.

The issue with the tracy arm excursion is that we were not on the ship at 10am when tender tickets were given out. As long as you get in line for the tender tickets early, you should be fine. Tender tickets were given out for 4 hours (10am -2pm) before our excursion got us back to the boat for us to pick up tender tickets. I wouldn't spend the extra money for the celebrity excursion, I would just get in line early.

Thank you for clarifying. I didn't realize it was the Tracy Arm excursion that was your big hold up.

I will definitely get in the tender ticket line early, but I know myself I will still worry. Crazy how with an hour and forty five minutes of padding I am fretting. :o

$254.25 more for the same excursion through Celebrity. CRAZY!! I know they upcharge but wowza!! :eek: It is nice for peace of mind, but that excursion is pricey enough directly through the company. X is killing it with excursion profits.