dive in burgers and dogs

llbz327

WOW! We seldom hear of anyone complaining because a burger is too big :). And your hot dog comment got me looking on the internet. The first 3 sites I found that rated USA brand hotdogs (Adam Richman, Huffington Post, and Epicurious) all rated Nathan's #1. But we do agree that its a matter of individual taste. Personally, although I do really like Nathan's my favorite are Johnsonville Brats (arguably not a real hot dog).

Hank

We get Sugardale hot dogs at home -- bunfull size -- big.

WOW! We seldom hear of anyone complaining because a burger is too big :). And your hot dog comment got me looking on the internet. The first 3 sites I found that rated USA brand hotdogs (Adam Richman, Huffington Post, and Epicurious) all rated Nathan's #1. But we do agree that its a matter of individual taste. Personally, although I do really like Nathan's my favorite are Johnsonville Brats (arguably not a real hot dog).

Hank

... and, for that matter, the Johnsonville Brat is not a real brat either ... but they taste so good who cares that they're neither real hot dog nor real brat?

Rod

I suppose the ships try to give everyone what the want/need on their vacations. Thank goodness for me :) not everyone wants to eat at the Dive-In or I'd never have gotten my order. It's not what we wanted everyday but it was a tasty alternative to the Lido salad bar with a piece of fish on top or a Lido salad with pizza from Slice. :D

Really threw them for a loop when I told them a burger and a dog and hold the buns. The buns are good just to darn much bread.:D

Same thing happened on Zuiderdam...they just couldn't comprehend a bunless burger. :) I'd like to stay thin, so I avoid all those carbs. If I order a burger, it's without the bun. As for the meat, I have no idea what the big deal is about this venue. :confused:

Here in Europe, ( or where I work, in the ME) it is simply impossible to find a good burger ( and great ribs)...

I know that we will indulge and dive into these burgers:D

They look delicious!

Last year we drove over to Baden Baden (from Strasbourg) for lunch on one beautiful Sunday. We had lunch at one of the large and popular outdoor cafes in the center and were surprised to discover they had excellent BBQ Baby Back Ribs. So there is hope for Europe :). As to a really good burger, we agree that its impossible to find in Europe.

Hank

On our recent Ryndam DW and I would order one medium

and one medium rare -----

they always came to us the same way -----well done

(and totally dried out)

The fried onions were always dripping grease

However, both were better than the pizza:(

Edited by earljr

On our recent Ryndam DW and I would order one medium

and one medium rare -----

they always came to us the same way -----well done

(and totally dried out)

The fried onions were always dripping grease

However, both were better than the pizza:(

Have to agree - when we were on Ryndam last month, I thought that the burgers were poor and obviously not cooked to order since the buzzer went off before one minute had passed. Totally different from Noordam last year when the burgers were great.

All food is subjective I get that. I was on the Maasdam in January. The Dive service was awful and I noted it on the survey. Place an order and often waited 15-20 minutes for the pager to go off. We are not talking long lines here people maybe one or two people with orders in front of me. Hamburgers came out one way...well done and hot dogs were placed on buns cut directly in half with the dogs barely cooked (heated). Fries were good but had to order an extra cup of them to fill the plate. The service food bar at best was average. If you wanted Nachos you had to wait for 1 PM before they would put them out with the cheese. I am not a fan of the Dive.

bob

Yes the Prinsendam also has it.

Allan

Dive In is on the Princendam. If you don't want fries you can get a salad from inside - I did that a number of times. Those burgers are huge!!!

Susan

So glad to hear this. I love the Dive In Sauce on the fries... and the fried onions on the burger. Yum.

Have to agree - when we were on Ryndam last month, I thought that the burgers were poor and obviously not cooked to order since the buzzer went off before one minute had passed. Totally different from Noordam last year when the burgers were great.

I had no issues on the Ryndam in January. The burgers were cooked well (not well-done) and the hot dogs were hot and the service was as quick as it could be cooking raw meat and fresh-frying fries.

The thing I noticed was service was better when the person taking orders had a better command of English. Several times I witnessed passengers yelling at the order takers and cooks to try and have their orders understood. But at the same time, they were customizing the burgers/hot dogs and I think that may have confused the Dive-In Staff. I found several fellow passengers to be quite rude to the Staff over language confusions. I'm not sure how to solve that, but I do know the Staff I witnessed were trying as hard as they could.

We love Dive-In - we were fortunate enough to have it on some of the earliest ships they launched it on. Nothing beats a good burger with a nice cold beer or real (not diet) Coke when on vacation (because that NEVER happens at home).

However - I can't STAND the hot dog buns. Those poppy seed buns are too oversized and poppy seeds and hot dogs do not a good combo make. It's bad enough I think about what goes into hot dogs, I don't want to be reminded of them whene I am picking seeds out of my teeth after eating one.

... I agree 100% with above comments re bun size & poppy seeds ... also the beer/Coke comments ...

Rod

I had no issues on the Ryndam in January. The burgers were cooked well (not well-done) and the hot dogs were hot and the service was as quick as it could be cooking raw meat and fresh-frying fries.

The thing I noticed was service was better when the person taking orders had a better command of English. Several times I witnessed passengers yelling at the order takers and cooks to try and have their orders understood. But at the same time, they were customizing the burgers/hot dogs and I think that may have confused the Dive-In Staff. I found several fellow passengers to be quite rude to the Staff over language confusions. I'm not sure how to solve that, but I do know the Staff I witnessed were trying as hard as they could.

Now that I've read such vastly differing reviews of the Dive In at the Terrace Grill I really want to try it, just to see if it's as good as people say it is, or as bad as people say it is LOL :D Either way we will be on a cruise and I doubt we will go hungry.

Lorie

... I agree 100% with above comments re bun size & poppy seeds ... also the beer/Coke comments ...

Rod

Looking at the picture of the hot dog in post #29, the bun looks like a bun from a Chicago Hot Dog, which is a hot dog in a poppy seed bun with a bright green (dyed) pickle relish and onions and any condiments you like. Supposedly that's how they serve hot dogs in Chicago. I've never been to Chicago so I can't really verify that, but we've had them before at a hot dog place here called Chicago Dogs.

Lorie

"Real" Coke would the type sweetened with sugar rather than fructose.

igraf

We love Dive-In - we were fortunate enough to have it on some of the earliest ships they launched it on. Nothing beats a good burger with a nice cold beer or real (not diet) Coke when on vacation (because that NEVER happens at home).

Thought I'd chime in since I've been eating at the Dive In for lunch every day for the last 4 days! Yum! I admit I'm a Dive-In fan - loved it from the first time I had a Cannonball burger on Maasdam right after they opened. Here on Westerdam the Dive-In is in top form. Burgers and dogs are hot, wait time not too long (I don't mind the pager - I certainly prefer it to standing around waiting for my order, although many people still seem to do that - not sure why but they just stand there waiting with pager in hand instead of sitting down, taking a walk, getting a salad from the Lido, ANYTHING... LOL) Anyway, I wanted to comment, since nobody has yet, about gluten-free buns. I always order my burgers and hot dogs with gluten free buns, and the ones they have on board are fine (not the best, and I'm not sure what brand they use but they seem comparable to Udi's). I order a Cannonball with gluten free bun. Yesterday for the first time I was given a burger on a gluten free bun but without the Gouda cheese and bacon and sauce! I did go back and inquire what happened - thought perhaps I'd accidentally been given someone else's order.. but it turned out the cook on duty that day was following a guideline for "gluten free". Seems if someone has a bona fide allergy to gluten (I do not - I just prefer to limit my intake) - they "can't" eat the bacon or cheese or sauce at the Dive-In since these foods are not completely certified gluten free. I explained that I am not allergic or Celiac and would like the regular Cannonball with just the substitute bun. They were SO nice about it - I apologized for holding up the works (if I was, not sure) and I again got my yummy Cannonball burger!

I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about gluten free on Westerdam, but thought someone here might be interested. Anyway, the Dive - In on this ship is a winner, IMHO!!

Thought I'd chime in since I've been eating at the Dive In for lunch every day for the last 4 days! Yum! I admit I'm a Dive-In fan - loved it from the first time I had a Cannonball burger on Maasdam right after they opened. Here on Westerdam the Dive-In is in top form. Burgers and dogs are hot, wait time not too long (I don't mind the pager - I certainly prefer it to standing around waiting for my order, although many people still seem to do that - not sure why but they just stand there waiting with pager in hand instead of sitting down, taking a walk, getting a salad from the Lido, ANYTHING... LOL) Anyway, I wanted to comment, since nobody has yet, about gluten-free buns. I always order my burgers and hot dogs with gluten free buns, and the ones they have on board are fine (not the best, and I'm not sure what brand they use but they seem comparable to Udi's). I order a Cannonball with gluten free bun. Yesterday for the first time I was given a burger on a gluten free bun but without the Gouda cheese and bacon and sauce! I did go back and inquire what happened - thought perhaps I'd accidentally been given someone else's order.. but it turned out the cook on duty that day was following a guideline for "gluten free". Seems if someone has a bona fide allergy to gluten (I do not - I just prefer to limit my intake) - they "can't" eat the bacon or cheese or sauce at the Dive-In since these foods are not completely certified gluten free. I explained that I am not allergic or Celiac and would like the regular Cannonball with just the substitute bun. They were SO nice about it - I apologized for holding up the works (if I was, not sure) and I again got my yummy Cannonball burger!

I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about gluten free on Westerdam, but thought someone here might be interested. Anyway, the Dive - In on this ship is a winner, IMHO!!

Thanks for explaining how the cook thought you were completely gluten free and fixed your burger according to the rules. That is good to know for those people who need to follow the rules to a T.

Yes - REAL Coke to us is with sugar. We can get them now and then in bodegas in and around our village in NY (we are fairly close to NYC). Otherwise it's the garbage corn syrup. But alas, we are not really soda drinkers so our fine burger cuisine is more often paired with beer! :)