Live From The Star Princess Hawaiian Cruise 3/21/ to 4/5

MTJSR

TLC535: The ship arrived at about 6 am. We could have walked off at 7:30 but had 8 am reservations with Enterprise car rental. They are only about a block away but offer shuttle (white van) service to pick you up. We rented a new ford fusion for $78.00 a day. We returned it at abou 5:00pm as they close at 6pm.

TheCRuIseLLs: Nope not chicken, they taste like frog! Lol

Now that Princess has ventured into amphibian meats. I'm done with the Horizon Court, I will be bringing on my own ice chest with foods i'm familiar with.

Cr8tiv1: Not at all. This is an open forum and I hope what I hear is accurate. A seemingly intelligent crew member was the one that told us about the renovations at the other pier. That hamburger place does have several locations on Oahu including some foreign locations like London England. Very nice people working there and busy in the middle of the day, must be popular.

Unknown: no special Hawaiian themed foods in the Horizon court “listed in the patter” I did not go to investigate though.

princess%20logo%20kauai.jpg

March 28, 2015

Current Location: Kauai, Hawaii

Horizon Courts Special Today: None

Dinning Room Dress Code is: Casual

On Muts: at 10am: “Tora! Tora! Tora!” , at 12pm: “-”, 3pm: “Paniolo 'O Hawaii” 5:15pm: “Billy Joel: Live at Shea Statium” and at 7pm: “The Imitation Game”

Tonight is the “Ultimate Deck Party” at 9:45

In Honolulu yesterday, we were watching a crew member in the bridge lower a rope to the waterline with a metal cylinder at the end and scoop up some sea water and pull it all the way back up to the bridge.

While sitting on deck 14 aft today, Captain Nash walked by, at which time my aunt quizzed him on this mysterious rope drop from the bridge. Any idea what they were testing for by scooping sea water out of Honolulu Harbor?

Multiple choice answers are;

A: Testing for any sign of pollution/discharge coming off the ship. Tough environmental rules require it.

B: Testing water density to determine the weight of the ship.

C: Before pumping water for the desalination process, tests are performed to determine a baseline for salinity.

Answer and explanation tomorrow.

FYI and did you know: Our waiter told us that all those nice colorful Hawaiian shirts they wear in the dining room are there own and are not provided by princess. I found that unusual as its being worn as a uniform and all other uniforms are provided for by Princess.

The weather today is perfect. Having been here twice before, we are sitting this visit out. The ship is so quiet right now and the aft pool is the go to spot for some quiet relaxation.

Edited by MTJSR

Aloha! We are on this sailing with you! We are having a great time too! Cruise ship staff are ALL very pleasant/helpful! Food has been great! Especially love International Cafe coffees, deserts (YUM DOUBLE YUM!) and salads/sandwiches. Enjoying the entertainment The Star is a beautiful wonderful cruise ship! LOVE everything so far, no complaints! Aloha annie

TLC535:

In Honolulu yesterday, we were watching a crew member in the bridge lower a rope to the waterline with a metal cylinder at the end and scoop up some sea water and pull it all the way back up to the bridge.

While sitting on deck 14 aft today, Captain Nash walked by, at which time my aunt quizzed him on this mysterious rope drop from the bridge. Any idea what they were testing for by scooping sea water out of Honolulu Harbor?

A: Testing for any sign of pollution/discharge coming off the ship. Tough environmental rules require it.

C: Before pumping water for the desalination process, tests are performed to determine a baseline for salinity.

Answer and explanation tomorrow.

I am going to vote for "C"

Mark and Annie, next time you see Makani E (Jim & Roz), please say hello for me, Gimer. We had them last November to Hawaii and they were great Hawaiian Ambassadors, and we love their music. Especially "Opihi's and Malasadas":D. Thanks. Stan

Edited by Gimer

Mark and Annie, next time you see Makani E (Jim & Roz), please say hello for me, Gimer. We had them last November to Hawaii and they were great Hawaiian Ambassadors, and we love their music. Especially "Opihi's and Malasadas":D. Thanks. Stan

Will do!

Hey Herb.....what's up....we have freind on this cruise, will be picking them up in Lahaina Sunday Morning

I'm Already having cruise with drawals :):eek:

Ahoy Rob,

We had a great time with Mark, Judy, and Trish when they were in Hilo.:D:D I may give you a shout in Oct. when we come through on the Crown on the HI, Samao, Tahiti cruise. Be fun to see you again.:D Boy I sure wanted to go back on board and sail away with them.:(

Take care,

Herb

email herbjac at gmail dot com

Edited by Holomoku

Ahoy Rob,

We had a great time with Mark, Judy, and Trish when they were in Hilo.:D:D I may give you a shout in Oct. when we come through on the Crown on the HI, Samao, Tahiti cruise. Be fun to see you again.:D Boy I sure wanted to go back on board and sail away with them.:(

Take care,

Herb

email herbjac at gmail dot com

Sounds good.....we can go to the beach, lunch, beer what ever.......

My email...robbmaui at hotmail dot com

We have a group doing b2b on grand 11/8 & 15 out of San Fransico

One definite answer is B. Water density determines how high the ship floats in the water.

890218%20051%202.18.14%20Raising%20a%20water%20sample%20to%20the%20bridge%20DSC08781_zpsx1fbfu6u.jpg

Edited by caribill

Caribill: You are correct! Thou all answers provided are plauable, this particular test is a density test. Thanks for the pic!

princess%20logo%20maui.jpg

March 29, 2015

Current Location: Maul, Hawaii

On Muts: at 10am: “Pavarotti: The Event Live” , at 1pm: “Rob Thomas: Live at Red Rocks”, 3:30pm: “Sheryl Crow: Live” 6:00 and 9:30pm: “Walk On The Wild Side” and at 7pm and 10pm: “The Best Of Me”

Tonight is the “Ultimate Deck Party” at 9:45

Crab Shack Tonight!

Last night after leaving Kauai, we had our Ultimate Pool Party on deck 14. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the ship was off the coast of Honolulu/Waikiki while the party was going on. Needless to say, the view was pretty cool. A live band performed and I must say, they are very very good. They are called the Emmanuelle Blanco Band. Excellent at covering popular songs but they really shined in the Reggae and caribbean sounds.

Today in Maul, we just basically walked around the main frontage street and hit all the shops and ABC stores. The gigantic banyan tree was host to a crafts fare, which I understand is a Sunday tradition. There is an ice cream place in town called “Lapperts”, which we felt obligated to drop in and check it out of course.

I forgot my photo I.D. In the cabin and when trying to re-enter the dock side secure area, my name was cross checked against a ship manifest and then let thru. Must happen all the time!

Ok, last night I asked if anyone knew the answer to my question on what test was being performed by the bridge when drawing a cylinder of sea water from below by rope?

The test being performed is:

A hydrometer is placed in the cylinder of seawater to determine its density. After a number of calculations, it will reveal the ships sitting weight that moment. A google search of “water density vs ship stability” will show the relationship to weight and stability, with water density changes.

princess%20logo%20at%20sea.jpg

March 30, 2015

Current Location: At Sea – Heading to Ensenada, Mexico

Dinning Room Dress Code is: Formal

Captains Circle Cocktail Party Tonight in the Vista Lounge

British Pub Lunch Today

On Muts: at 10am: “Mrs. Doubtfire” , at 3pm: “Star Trek: Into The Darkness”, 5:30pm: “Beyonce: Live From Wembley” and at 7pm and 10pm: “The Hundred Foot Journey”

Last night we saw an interesting event. The onboard stores in the piazza were open only for the crew. I believe the signs said they had an hour and a half to shop before reopening for the passengers. The interesting part was watching these crew members appear out of every pocket door, hidden panel and every corner to see what was available. As if they live in the walls!

Did you know: The dinning room staff eat their dinners after second seating ends and the dining rooms have been cleaned?

Did you know: The ships crew has there own Cruise Director? It use to be a paid side job for someone, but is now a full time paid job.

Our assigned Cruise Director Neil Rose has been a no show on the wake Show for a few mornings now. My guess is he jumped ship in Honolulu and left John Loney here to cover duties.

After our visit to Maui yesterday, my engineering juices went crazy imagining a simpler safer way to tender passengers. While borrowing ideas from other mechanical models, imagine a system where the tender boat pulls up to the ships side and 2 hydraulic arms extend and lift the tender up to a passenger platform above the water line, so the tender is stationary or docked safely during the boarding and un-boarding. Then the tender is lowered back into the water and released. Watching people jump on and off a rolling rocking and slamming tender, just seemed awfully primitive with current safety pro-actions.

Mark

March 30, 2015

Dinning Room Dress Code is: Formal

Captains Circle Cocktail Party Tonight in the Vista Lounge

British Pub Lunch Today

On Muts: at 10am: “Mrs. Doubtfire” , at 3pm: “Star Trek: Into The Darkness”, 5:30pm: “Beyonce: Live From Wembley” and at 7pm and 10pm: “The Hundred Foot Journey”

Last night we saw an interesting event. The onboard stores in the piazza were open only for the crew. I believe the signs said they had an hour and a half to shop before reopening for the passengers. The interesting part was watching these crew members appear out of every pocket door, hidden panel and every corner to see what was available. As if they live in the walls!

Did you know: The dinning room staff eat their dinners after second seating ends and the dining rooms have been cleaned?

Did you know: The ships crew has there own Cruise Director? It use to be a paid side job for someone, but is now a full time paid job.

Our assigned Cruise Director Neil Rose has been a no show on the wake Show for a few mornings now. My guess is he jumped ship in Honolulu and left John Loney here to cover duties.

After our visit to Maui yesterday, my engineering juices went crazy imagining a simpler safer way to tender passengers. While borrowing ideas from other mechanical models, imagine a system where the tender boat pulls up to the ships side and 2 hydraulic arms extend and lift the tender up to a passenger platform above the water line, so the tender is stationary or docked safely during the boarding and un-boarding. Then the tender is lowered back into the water and released. Watching people jump on and off a rolling rocking and slamming tender, just seemed awfully primitive with current safety pro-actions.

Mark

This has been your most interesting (factoid filled) post. Thank you for your creative juices.

Aloha Mark,

You have and interesting idea there on tendering. Would have to be much safer.

We have never seen the shops open just for the crew, what a neat idea that was!;) Mahalo for keeping this "Live From" up to date. I have really enjoyed cruising along with you and checking the bridge cam each day.:)

Enjoy your sea days and see you S.F. some time.;)

We'll email the photos of you guys after you get home, don't need to burn those minutes.

Cheers,

Holomoku

We have never seen the shops open just for the crew, what a neat idea that was!

We saw that on one cruise (do not remember which ship), but it was in late evening after the shops had closed for passengers that day.

As a lifelong I.E. I couldn't agree with you more. Your solution would solve many issues (ie..handicapped passengers, rough seas and more). Also have you ever noticed the sharp right angles on the landings (where the stairs meet the landing) at the top of the stairs and the way they protrude out several inches into the path?

Anyway I really appreciate you feed and your insights. Really great!

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

As a lifelong I.E. I couldn't agree with you more. Your solution would solve many issues (ie..handicapped passengers, rough seas and more). Also have you ever noticed the sharp right angles on the landings (where the stairs meet the landing) at the top of the stairs and the way they protrude out several inches into the path?

Anyway I really appreciate you feed and your insights. Really great!

Just Mike

Thank you! and yes I have.

NORTHENDER: Neil re-appeared this morning on the wake show. You are right, must have been laying low.

Sea conditions are pretty bumpy. As I sit here typing its as if I were riding a horse. Love it thou!

Edited by MTJSR

March 31, 2015

On Muts: at 10am: “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” , at 3pm: “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides”, 5:15pm: “Coldplay: Live” and at 7pm and 10pm: “The Theory Of Everything”

Did you know? Today in the Piazza, you could buy an 8 oz bag of Honey Roasted Macadamia nuts for 17.95. Just in case you missed buying them in the islands for 6.95

Did you know? The new Royal and Regal ships are missing a center staircase?

Grand class ships were designed with a center passenger staircase and NO proper central service elevator. So as a result, dirty laundry and dishes must be transported to a forward or aft special service elevator, then brought to the appropriate deck and moved again to a midship service position for handling. Strict Health laws require specific spacing between passenger and service (soiled items) elevators! These re-routing procedures continue today.

The newer ships are designed with a central service elevator and that eliminates the unnecessary extra movements below deck. Stairs just didn't fit in that design scheme.

(This explanation reported to me by a senior staff member)

A Mini Review: After having eight Princess cruises under my belt, I can now honestly compare one cruise with another and report those things I found missing, different or better from my other Princess trips. People are often interested in which staff are on their upcoming cruise and I totally get it. Like who's the Cruise Director, Matre d' Hotel, Head Chef etc. It all matters and this cruise reminds me just how important some of those combinations of personnel are.

Example, when we were on the Golden to Hawaii several years ago, not only did we have Dave Cole and Elua, we had Vasceech (sp?) a head chef. He was from the Mauritius Islands and he personally hosted three outdoor poolside lunch buffets. One was an Asian Stir Fry like a Mongolian Bbq, the other was a Mauritian Island foods buffet and the final one was a Soups of the World buffet.

On our first Star to Hawaii trip a couple years ago, we had JJ Ulrich and no Hawaiian music program at all. We did have two poolside events. One was a fresh fruit buffet and the other was a soups buffet.

This trip we have two cruise directors, John Loney and Neil Rose and zero outdoor poolside food events.

So to conclude on this point, Princess has the ability to offer us at their discretion, different levels of onboard experiences. Since this information is not listed in the brochures, getting the best or less of what Princess can offer, is by luck!

Edited by MTJSR

Thanks for the Live From.. Since we will be boarding the Star when you get off, how about some snippets of the things to look forward to and things to avoid.. Any favorite bartenders, waiters, etc? Did you have a chance to meet John Paul? Crown Grill or Sabatini's? Thanks

Thanks for the Live From.. Since we will be boarding the Star when you get off, how about some snippets of the things to look forward to and things to avoid.. Any favorite bartenders, waiters, etc? Did you have a chance to meet John Paul? Crown Grill or Sabatini's? Thanks

April 1, 2015

Sea Conditions: Moderate and bouncy.

Crab Shack today!

On Muts: at 10am: “Who framed Roger Rabbit?” , at 1pm: “Scene it: TV”, 3pm: “The Avengers” 5:30pm: “James Taylor: Live At The Beacon Thetre” and at 7pm and 10pm: “The Grand Seduction”

Did you know? There are 141 galley staff and 54 dishwashers at work everyday on this ship.

Did you know? The crew has a better TV selection than passengers do? And it includes their specific nationality channels.

In my opinion: The pepperoni pizza at “this” Preggo's and the cheeseburger at “this” Trident Grill are the best one's I have had on any Princess ship!

LARGEN: Well, I would certainly direct you to the Skywalkers lounge at 6pm for the Platinum and Elite lounge. Or 9pm regular nightly service. Beverly the bar manager and crew, Anthony, Boyin, and the magician kid. Beverly has your names and is waiting to give you their best welcome aboard.

Nico in the International Cafe will “CHEER” up your day, stop by and say hi. Eric in the Explorers lounge is a lot of fun too.

If you are lucky enough to get Mark (wayne) our waiter in the Amalfi dining room. He will help make your trip fantastic, excellent personality. Eleven years experience as waiter. As good as they get!

We ate once at the Crown Grill and my Ribeye was awesome. For desert get the sampler platter. It is a photograph waiting to happen! I never eat at Sabatini's, just not my cup of pate'. We see John Paul every night, just have not met him yet. We never got to the Pub lunch or Crab Shack and we missed the afternoon Tea service. Thats why I have to keep booking cruises. Need to go back and fill these voids.

My little negatives this trip: I have been watching for over a week now, the rock like floor tiles in the International Cafe bars sitting area middle has ground in coffee and food stains that are not being cleaned up. I hate being critical, but Princess is family and these things just shouldn't be like that.

I get along with everyone, but there is one crew member in the back starboard corner of the Horizon Courts that is just a sour representative for Princess. He's slow, doesn't clear off tables, looks mad at the world, even got snotty with me for cleaning off a table, so my family could sit there. And I was very pleasant to him. Everyone else in Horizon is wonderful!

Things to avoid? Hmmmmm, in the MDR, chicken scalapini, (sp?) roasted chicken dinner, mac and cheese. Pre-Sliced lamb (think doggy chew) beef stroganoff (just ok). And ask for extra sauce on the fettuccine Alfredo, so its not dry. The Horizon Court is too subjective, so I won't touch it.

Did you know: Laundry is now 3.00 to wash and 3.00 to dry. Special tokens are purchased from a machine on the wall by swiping your cruise card. According to staff the most dangerous place on the ship is in the laundromat. Fights galore.

I cannot report on shows because I rarely go to them.

The star is starting to look its age. If I keep my chin up, she looks new, if I look down she looks tired (in places). On these longer cruises we have more time to notice those small things!

The aft pool is the best hangout for quiet, as very few people use it. I don't smoke and this is one of the few smoking areas, however people are pretty respectful with this privilege and only smoke on the port side.

I was watching those whitecaps! :eek:

Right now we are riding the bull, pretty pretty bouncy out here. No green people yet thou!

Note to self: Don't forget the Bonine.

I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.:eek:

Right now we are riding the bull, pretty pretty bouncy out here. No green people yet thou!

Note to self: Don't forget the Bonine.

I rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.:eek:

I agree, we also take ginger capsules with us as well. :)