Live From The Star Princess Hawaiian Cruise 3/21/ to 4/5

MTJSR

princess%20logo%20at%20sea.jpg

March 23, 2015

Current Location: Second sea day to Hilo, Hawaii

Tonights MDR Dinner Theme : Princess Dinner

Horizon Courts Special Today: Sushi

Dinning Room Dress Code is: Formal

On Muts: at 10am: “Back To The Future” , at 3pm: “The Italian Job” , at 5pm “Mumford & Sons” The Road To Red, at 6:30: “Walk on The Wild Side” and at 7pm: “The Hobbit” The Battle Of The Five Armies

Tonight is the first formal and the champagne waterfall in the piazza.

Neil Rose is our Cruise Director on this cruise. I had him as an assistant on a least two cruises prior. Glad to see he made it into the top slot. Nice guy!

Today was a great sit around the pool and play cards day. Pool water is very cool and a slight chill in the air, but comfortable. Should start to get warm tomorrow.

Today we had some pepperoni pizza from Prego's on deck 14. it was good good good! Sometimes the prego's pizza can be hit or miss on other ships but this was just perfect.

Tonight was a chocolate journey special desert selection in the MDR. So so yummy! Pictures to follow after the cruise ends.

I am hearing reviews that the onboard lecturer/naturalist is very very good. Todays talk was on volcanos. And another on flight safety modern aircraft.

I stopped in to see “Steve Moris” (comedy/music-yes one R in moris used in patter) in the Vista lounge tonight. Two showings 7:45 and 9:30 .I assume this is the same person I have heard such good reviews on? We he was quite funny and can sing too. Apparently an associate of the Beach Boys and they do a video introduction before he comes out.

Arizona comment, we may have already met your parents. Are they members of cruise critic and the meet and greet?

We've been on the Star a couple of times, our last cruise was to Hawaii a couple of months ago. We had a good time - nearly missed the ship due to the excursion driver locking the keys in his van with the van running! Enjoy the different sausage dishes at breakfast and lunch.

We will be in the Star on the 19th to Mexico. Was wondering if they know how to make (and have the ingredients for) a Dark & Stormy. Goslings dark rum and Goslings ginger beer. If you get a chance ask for one at the bar. Very refreshing.

Enjoy the different sausage dishes at breakfast and lunch.

lol, we are! They now have a Hawaiian theme to em. Poo Poo Links & cabbage gravy, Pineapple and Knockwurst soup and Poi oh boy's with bologna & spam. There is a new chef from Germany in the tubed meat dept.

Edited by MTJSR

lol, we are! They now have a Hawaiian theme to em. Poo Poo Links & cabbage gravy, Pineapple and Knockwurst soup and Poi oh boy's with bologna & spam. There is a new chef from Germany in the tubed meat dept.

If you are into "weird" food...go to the grocery that is just around the corner behind the Inn (right where you leave the dock). They have Spam flavored Macadamia nuts. Sounds strange, but they are very good. The naturalist on one of our Hawaii cruises said he goes there to buy some every time they hit the port.

If interested, save time and ask the clerk where they are - they are hard to find for some strange reason:rolleyes:

See! I was not exaggerating about all the different sausage dishes. I think Princess got a bargain from the sausage vendor for several thousand tons of it!:D

Thanks for the Live From..

If you have time, can you wander over to the D409 area and say hello to the Room Steward "Tomas" from Larry & Ginger..

Thanks

I just stopped by D317 and Tomas was there. I snapped a photo for you but photobucket would not upload it. He said hi and see you both in a couple weeks. Nice nice guy, very friendly!

Aloha Mike,

As we say in Hawai'i, "fo real"? Please tell me your kidding.

Aloha No,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.facebook.com/eluamusic

Could it have been "PuPu" links instead? PuPu means bite sized appetizers. I just can't imagine the ship would use the other term.

Could it have been "PuPu" links instead? PuPu means bite sized appetizers. I just can't imagine the ship would use the other term.

I was thinking in different terms - as in little dog poo. We call the ham "shoe sole ham" and the round hash browns "hocky puck potatoes." We're going to be on the Crown soon and it will be interesting to see what's on the menu. We love the thin breadsticks with the different seeds on them. We've only seen them on the Lido in the evenings sometimes and only on the Star.

I was thinking in different terms - as in little dog poo. We call the ham "shoe sole ham" and the round hash browns "hocky puck potatoes." We're going to be on the Crown soon and it will be interesting to see what's on the menu. We love the thin breadsticks with the different seeds on them. We've only seen them on the Lido in the evenings sometimes and only on the Star.

lol, actually no I wasn't thinking doggy poo poo, as I was typing my joke response to you, I wasn't sure how it was spelled so spelling it phonetically seemed proper. Merely making hawaiian sounding food names using sausage. Jokes never translate well in typed form.

We love the thin breadsticks with the different seeds on them. We've only seen them on the Lido in the evenings sometimes and only on the Star.

Since Princess started saving money by eliminating sesame seeds from the breadsticks in the dining room we go to the dining room via the buffet so we can get some of those with the seeds and bring them to dinner.

princess%20logo%20at%20sea.jpg

March 24, 2015

Current Location: Third sea day to Hilo, Hawaii

Tonights MDR Dinner Theme :

Horizon Courts Special Today: None

1st Pub Lunch Today and 1st Crab Shack Tonight

Dinning Room Dress Code is: Casual

On Muts: at 10am: “The Princess Bride” , at 3pm: “Iron Man 3” , at 5:15pm “Maroon 5, Live At Home”, at 6:30: “Walk on The Wild Side” and at 7pm: “Paddington”

First 4 days mini review. The crew onboard continues to really impress me with their upbeat spirit and unlimited smiles. The food so far in the MDR has been excellent and the deserts are just awesome.

This is my second Star sailing to Hawaii, but my first cruise to Hawaii was on the Golden Princess. From the time we boarded the Golden and until we disembarked, the Hawaiian culture was present everywhere, live music by the pool, live music in the Piazza, Dave Cole (CD) The Elua duo on cabin tv or in the Vista Lounge having a pearly shells sing along. Along with lots of Lei making, sarong tying, ukelele lessons etc. There was no doubt that ship was headed for Hawaii.

Until tonight, we have heard no Hawaiian music anywhere. A big contrast between the two ships Hawaiian music programs. The entertainment on this ship is otherwise very good, just not a Hawaiian feel to it. When you sail to Mexico, you know within 5 minutes after sailaway where you are headed. Not the case here! ironically our last Star princess cruise had the same non hawaiian feel. Im hoping this changes, as we get closer to the islands. Yes there is a Hawaiian music couple here and tonight was our first time hearing them play (quite good). They were in the piazza at dinner time.

Edited by MTJSR

Very much loving your review. :cool: We will be on the April 29th sailing and looking forward to visiting Hawaii for the first time.

We will have Eula aboard with us also. Another first for us and can't wait to see them.:)

Can you let me know, if possible, does Princess offer tours and drop off at the airport (SFO) post cruise. We will also be sailing out of San Francisco and our return flight to the east coast is 9:30pm. If Princess does not offer tours, I would love to know if they will be doing transfers to SFO. Thanks in advance.:)

Waiting to read more from you as you sail along.

Enjoying the read Mark.

Interesting that, apart from the food you mentioned yesterday, there's not much of a Hawaiian theme on board :/

Sue

It is, and not wanting to sound to critical, its just an observation. There is a piano player onboard, "Magdelena" and she has been a fixture in the piazza and is playing somewhere onboard every single day. I have personally run into her many many times. She is very good, just that this cruise (hawaii bound) will forever have her signature sound associated to it. Not the sounds of Hawaii!

On the Golden, we had the sound of ELUA memorized before hitting Hilo. :D