Live From The Star Princess Hawaiian Cruise 3/21/ to 4/5

MTJSR

It is, and not wanting to sound to critical, its just an observation.

It's great to know and as it's happened on one of your previous cruises, it sounds like it's the norm for this ship.

If we do sail to Hawaii - rather than do an island hop/hotel stay - details like that could be the deciding factor on where we board (SFO or VCR) - if the Grand has more of a Hawaiian atmosphere, I think we'd opt for that. :)

princess%20logo%20at%20sea.jpg

March 25, 2015

Current Location: Final sea day before Hilo, Hawaii

Tonights MDR Dinner Theme : Princess Dinne

Horizon Courts Special Today: None

Dinning Room Dress Code is: Casual

On Muts: at 10am: “Miss Congeniality” , at 3pm: “The Amazing Spider Man” , 6:15: “Walk on The Wild Side” and at 7pm/10pm: “The Giver”

Tonight Steve Moris plays in the Princess Theater and people are really talking about his show. Apparently he is very good, so we will wonder over and watch the late show. Wasn't he performing on the Caribbean for years?

Motor City shows tonight in the Vista Lounge for the first time this cruise.

Weather again today.....gorgeous! Captain Nash did report some rain tomorrow in Hilo and high winds later on with rough seas as we leave Hilo tomorrow night for Honolulu.

At 5:35pm (now) we are 218 miles off the big island and will pick up the pilot tomorrow morning at 6:45 and dock at 8am.

Tanzanite! What the heck is tanzanite and why can I not live without it? Is it an essential mineral? Diet aid? Only available on cruise ships? Is tanzanite the new “Snake Oil” for youthful vigor and longer lives? Well whatever it is, Princess has tons of it and its, on sale!

I did just figure out what the “LGBT Get Together” on the patter stands for, Lets Go Buy Tanzanite! (wink)

Tanzanite! What the heck is tanzanite and why can I not live without it? Is it an essential mineral? Diet aid? Only available on cruise ships? Is tanzanite the new “Snake Oil” for youthful vigor and longer lives? Well whatever it is, Princess has tons of it and its, on sale!

LOL!! I've said that to myself many times!! :)

Can you let me know, if possible, does Princess offer tours and drop off at the airport (SFO) post cruise. We will also be sailing out of San Francisco and our return flight to the east coast is 9:30pm. If Princess does not offer tours, I would love to know if they will be doing transfers to SFO.

I do not know about tours that end at the airport, but they do offer xfers to SFO. However, you will likely be at SFO by 10 AM or earlier with the direct xfers.

I do not know about tours that end at the airport, but they do offer xfers to SFO. However, you will likely be at SFO by 10 AM or earlier with the direct xfers.

Thanks. Perhaps we can pick up a tour bus at the airport for a few hours.

Decisions, decisions.:eek:

What do you want to see in SFran & when is your flight? No tour bus from airport - ship docks 1/2 way between Fisherman's what'd& ferry building. Airport is 45 min South of city/dock. Problem is what to do with your luggage while you are touring before airport - check excursion options on Princess site they may have this option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark, can you tell me if there has been a daily Bible study listed in the Patter?

Yes there is at 9am daily.

NORTHENDER, yes there is a city tour that ends at the San Francisco airport by 3pm. Quite extensive with lots to see and do.

princess%20logo%20hilo.jpg

March 26, 2015

Current Location: Hilo, Hawaii

Tonights MDR Dinner Theme : Princess Dinner

On Muts: at 10am: “Paul McCartney: Good Evening New York” , at 12pm: “Scene it: 80's”, 3pm: “Genesis: Invisible Touch – Live At Wembley” 5:30pm: “Stevie Wonder: Live At Last” and at 7pm/10pm: “Get On Up”

Quick note about last nights dining room dinner. So far this cruise, our meals have been very good and thats from all 8 people reporting at my table. Last nights offerings were exceptionally bad. From Cold plates, really off tasting gravy's and late/slow service in the kitchen. I had the cold rock hard roasted chicken breast piece and broken leg with limp cold wet fries. My mom had the turkey scalapini, and the others had the cold mahi mahi fish. Reporting the good with the bad!

The onboard Hawaiian music duo has been more active around the ship lately, thank you princess!!

Now on to Hilo. We took a ride with some friends who live on the big island and they took us to all the volcanic hot spots. We got some outstanding lava flow pictures along with riding thru the many big island climates along the way. A great day trip capped with some Thai food and an introduction to Geo-cashing along the Hilo waterfront.

As we made our approach into the breakwater this morning, we could see many whale calves and mothers nearby. Always a fantastic sight to see!

The internet service this sailing is a mess. When you are done and its time to log out, the normal red logout button is gone, so when you type “logout.com” in the URL line like it says to do, it takes you to google search, then when you hit “logout” again it says, “you are logged off the internet” BUT BEWARE, 2 out of the 4 times for me, I was not logged off the internet. You may have to type it again and again. I lost 92 minutes thinking I was logged off like it said. Be aware!!

"NORTHENDER, yes there is a city tour that ends at the San Francisco airport by 3pm. Quite extensive with lots to see and do."

Thank you for this. It makes me very happy.:D:D

Love the description of dinner - From Cold Plates.......:eek:

Thanks for the internet tip. I am pretty sure you can get those minutes back by seeing the person at the IT desk.

Hoping dinner is better tonight.:)

Yes there is at 9am daily.

The internet service this sailing is a mess. When you are done and its time to log out, the normal red logout button is gone, so when you type “logout.com” in the URL line like it says to do, it takes you to google search, then when you hit “logout” again it says, “you are logged off the internet” BUT BEWARE, 2 out of the 4 times for me, I was not logged off the internet. You may have to type it again and again. I lost 92 minutes thinking I was logged off like it said. Be aware!!

First, thank you for doing a live from! I loved hearing from others as I travels along.

We took our first cruise to Hawaii a few years ago and enjoyed the trip a lot. We tell everyone how it was one of the best but also the worst as things happened that you just couldn't do anything about! The captain said it was one of the worst crossing he had ever made due to the cold weather, we both got colds, mine at the beginning, his at the end, the snorkeling trip planned on Maui was canned due to the weather, the power went out on the island while we were shopping, our flights home were all messed up. . . .and so on. You just had to laugh!

I did my first every earlier this month from the Royal and loved doing it. But I too had problems logging out and also lost 60 minutes of time! So, yes, warning to others, be very careful!

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing the rest.

And breadsticks! Oh, how I love them! But why do they put caraway seeds in them now? Yeck!

Ahoy Mark,

Looks like others want you to say Aloha to some of the great crew members on the Star also.:D There's more to do and see in Hilo the next time you come back!;)

Cheers,

Holomoku(Herb)

Hey Herb.....what's up....we have freind on this cruise, will be picking them up in Lahaina Sunday Morning

I'm Already having cruise with drawals :):eek:

First, thank you for doing a live from! I loved hearing from others as I travels along.

We took our first cruise to Hawaii a few years ago and enjoyed the trip a lot. We tell everyone how it was one of the best but also the worst as things happened that you just couldn't do anything about! The captain said it was one of the worst crossing he had ever made due to the cold weather, we both got colds, mine at the beginning, his at the end, the snorkeling trip planned on Maui was canned due to the weather, the power went out on the island while we were shopping, our flights home were all messed up. . . .and so on. You just had to laugh!

I did my first every earlier this month from the Royal and loved doing it. But I too had problems logging out and also lost 60 minutes of time! So, yes, warning to others, be very careful!

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing the rest.

And breadsticks! Oh, how I love them! But why do they put caraway seeds in them now? Yeck!

Not that it is Princess' fault about the weather, but you didn't mention the lovely tour in the driving, pelting, cold, rain while in Honolulu! HA HA (not soliciting business nor accolades).

ELUA had mentioned that the first cruise in February (the one before me) was the worst crossing they had experienced in their 10 years. Missed Kauai and bounced around in Maui. We had wonderful weather and smooth seas (on most days).

Thanks for posting live. I've always wanted to hear the differences from a ship that did not have ELUA and/or Dave Cole. On my cruise from LA, the new Hotel General Manager came onboard and made sure that many of the staff were in Aloha Attire. He also was responsible for piping in Hawaiian music when there wasn't an activity scheduled in the Piazza. (These did not happen on the cruise before me.) ELUA had a stage show one night in a "real" theater. There was an overall feel throughout the entire cruise that you definitely knew this ship was going to Hawaii. Credit also goes to the Cruise Director Mike Witte for arranging ELUA's performance almost every night.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Ahoy Mark,

Looks like others want you to say Aloha to some of the great crew members on the Star also.:D There's more to do and see in Hilo the next time you come back!;)

Cheers,

Holomoku(Herb)

Excellent! Herb, thank you both so much for taking me and family on the wonderful Volcanos tour while we were in Hilo. We had a great time!

Today was my turn to give mom and judy a grand tour of Oahu. Sitting here in Honolulu thinking food just not sure from where yet. See you both again someday soon. Mark

Speak with the Internet manager. He/she should give you those 92 minutes back.

Speak with the Internet manager. He/she should give you those 92 minutes back.

I will, as soon as I see someone in there. Thanks!

princess%20logo%20honolulu.jpg

March 27, 2015

Current Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Tonights MDR Dinner Theme :

While in the port of Honolulu, Dinner service in the Amalfi dining room (traditional) is moved to the other dining rooms, as they close due to less overall dinner attendance.

On Muts: at 10am: “” , at 12pm: “”, 3pm: “Princess Ka'lulani” 5:30pm: “” and at 7pm: “Intersteller”

We rented a car from Enterprise and drove around the islands south west side thru Waikiki, around Diamond Head and all the way back around to the Pali highway (61) basically a half island tour. We then decided to go get some food at a burger place we heard about near Barbers Point, above Pearl Harbor. It took about 20 minutes to get there but it was well worth the drive. The place was called “Kua ' Aina burgers” (a Diners Drive-ins and dive's favorite spot). We then headed over to Costco, across the street and did a quick walk thru just to see the differences. The biggest difference was that this store had self check isles. As a result, I zoomed right thru with my one item.

Did you know: Tonight the Horizon Court served Frog Legs.

Did you know: Those “You make a Difference” cards you can fill out for a crew members review, are reviewed by department heads and then given to the employee they reference.

Did you know: The most important review you can possibly do Is the online email review you get after returning home. Those do make a difference.

Did you know: An 11 year crew member has never seen an employee fired for poor performance.

Did you know: Pier 1 or the Aloha Tower pier Princess use to use here in Honolulu is being refurbished and thats why we used pier 2 today.

Any elks members out there? My parents were, now mother is a surviving member, so we stopped by their Waikiki location at the foot of Diamond Head. What a great great location. Beautiful views and one toe away from the beach and water. Do stop by, you won't want to leave!

Hi Mark...Thanks for the continued "Live from" it's helping to build the excitement for our upcoming trip :D

a couple questions on your day in Oahu...curious of when you left the ship to pick up your car and how was traffic ?

We are basically doing the same direction for our day there, picking up car from airport location and heading to Diamond Head to hike to the summit and then continuing on to do half island tour, planning on getting off the ship as soon as we dock & are cleared and grabbing a taxi straight to the car rental.

Appreciate any info & continue to enjoy your cruise :D

Not that it is Princess' fault about the weather, but you didn't mention the lovely tour in the driving, pelting, cold, rain while in Honolulu! HA HA (not soliciting business nor accolades).

Well, as that side tour was a highlight of our trip, it didn't make the nasty list!

And cold, pelting rain? Honey, come here and I will give you a tour to write about! Be sure to come somewhere between the months of January and March!

Seriously, we had the best tour guides while in Honolulu! Locals who took us all around the island, stopping at places to get shave ice, temples, turtle bay, malasadas, Chinaman's Hat, shrimp truck, Longs Drug store, and a wonderful local restaurant for dinner. If we had been on a big bus tour, we would have only done three things! It was awesome. These guides are highly recommended!

I will, as soon as I see someone in there. Thanks!

princess%20logo%20honolulu.jpg

March 27, 2015

Current Location: Honolulu, Hawaii

Tonights MDR Dinner Theme :

I am surprised that they did not have "local" named dishes in the Horizon Court. They did on the Grand. Of course it really wasn't true Hawaiian foods.

While in the port of Honolulu, Dinner service in the Amalfi dining room (traditional) is moved to the other dining rooms, as they close due to less overall dinner attendance.

On Muts: at 10am: “” , at 12pm: “”, 3pm: “Princess Ka'lulani” 5:30pm: “” and at 7pm: “Intersteller”

Princess Ka`iulani is a terrific movie and should be watched by everyone. She was the last Princess of Hawaii and her story tells of the annexation of the islands."

We rented a car from Enterprise and drove around the islands south west side thru Waikiki, around Diamond Head and all the way back around to the Pali highway (61) basically a half island tour. We then decided to go get some food at a burger place we heard about near Barbers Point, above Pearl Harbor. It took about 20 minutes to get there but it was well worth the drive. The place was called “Kua ' Aina burgers” (a Diners Drive-ins and dive's favorite spot). There is a Kua'Aina very near to the pier at Ward Center on across the street from Ala Moana Beach Park.

We then headed over to Costco, across the street and did a quick walk thru just to see the differences. The biggest difference was that this store had self check isles. As a result, I zoomed right thru with my one item.

Did you know: Tonight the Horizon Court served Frog Legs.

Did you know: Those “You make a Difference” cards you can fill out for a crew members review, are reviewed by department heads and then given to the employee they reference.

Yes, I agree these are very important. I always have some in my stateroom and fill them out as I go along. Sometimes I have them write their name on the card (saves me that embarrassment of not spelling their names correctly). I also turn them in early.

Did you know: The most important review you can possibly do Is the online email review you get after returning home. Those do make a difference.

Did you know: An 11 year crew member has never seen an employee fired for poor performance.

Did you know: Pier 1 or the Aloha Tower pier Princess use to use here in Honolulu is being refurbished and thats why we used pier 2 today.

My friend is the supervisor for the Honolulu Harbor (aka Aloha Towers) and schedules all of the ships coming and going. He said that it is at the request of the ship to use Pier 2. I found this totally inconvenient for local people to pick up passengers. No where to park and pick up/drop off. Also...Aloha Towers is free to go up to the observation tower between 9 and 4.

IMG_3389_zpsjs7uvxu5.jpg

That's the Grand from the Aloha Towers observation deck.

Any elks members out there? My parents were, now mother is a surviving member, so we stopped by their Waikiki location at the foot of Diamond Head. What a great great location. Beautiful views and one toe away from the beach and water. Do stop by, you won't want to leave!

I do appreciate you taking the time to do a live thread and ask forgiveness for clarifying some of your posts. I hope I have not offended you. And if I have, please let me know (kindly and gently) and I will abstain from further comments.

Edited by cr8tiv1

We watched "Princess Ka'lulani"on either our last cruise or the previous one in our cabin. Amazing story and sad that she didn't live very long.

On our last cruise (2012/13), the cards were now called "Consummate Host" cards. Did they change the name back? My hubby filled out a card and listed three or four crew members so I went to the front desk for some more cards and rewrote them so each crew member got his own card. Not sure why he did that, but I didn't tell him I corrected the mistake.

I think you left off a numeral. The Aloha Tower pier is 11.

Glad you're having a fun cruise. The Princess Hawaiian ones have been my favorite cruises.