1. 1. Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code

• Yes (I am a man)
    • Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

You're right. No difference... :D

Lipstick-meet pig :p

sorry-that was a joke but:

The picture you posted of the MDR may look like its some suave affair but at times, for SOME, the reality can be that it is just banquet food being thrown at you, all at the same time because you need to finish and get out for the next seating!.

Lipstick-meet pig :p

sorry-that was a joke but:

The picture you posted of the MDR may look like its some suave affair but at times, for SOME, the reality can be that it is just banquet food being thrown at you, all at the same time because you need to finish and get out for the next seating!.

I realize that some people have a low opinion of the food. I don't share that, myself. It is, of course, served banquet style, but "banquet" does not automatically mean low quality.

But then, attire for an occasion has never really been about how you feel about the quality of the food being served. You can have very casual places with awesome food, and you can have very fancy places with mediocre food.

What about breakfast or lunch? The MDR allows shorts at those meals. Why is it acceptable for 2/3 of the day, but not the remaining 1/3?

It is not hard to put on pants on casual night. But I would prefer not to. I am on vacation and do not want to dress up on casual nights. But I also want the MDR service I have paid for in my cruise fare. I won't sacrifice service by going to the Windjammer, and I won't pay more to go to specialty either just so you don't have to see me. I actively lobby for the things I want. I write to the cruise line and I vote with my wallet. I don't treat other cruisers like second class citizens and tell them I do not want to look at them. I respect your wishes to dress how you please and won't tell you where it is acceptable for you to eat. You should have the same respect for others. This is not a private yacht.

Finally, I would like to ask you honestly - What is it about what others wear that bothers you?

First, I want to say I don't care what anyone wears in the MDR.

Second,I notice you say that you want the service you paid for in your cruise fare. Guess what, you also agreed to the contract that comes with your cruise in which it tells you what your required to wear in the MDR. Don't want to dress properly, you're not entitled to MDR service.

Third,you say you vote with your wallet,yet you still cruise with RCL. If you truly voted with your wallet you would be cruising with NCL or Carnival were there is a more relaxed dress code. That's what voting with your wallet means.

Fourth,you talk about respect, and yet show no regard for the existing rules. There are plenty of people who would like to wear short in the MDR but don't because they respect the rules.

And, do you really think that, in an anonymous poll, a man is going to vote he doesn't want to be able to wear shorts in the MDR just to please his wife that doesn't even know he is voting?

I find it so interesting to read comments on the dress code. Shorts vs no shorts when really the question should be dress code or no dress code.

Those in favor of shorts, I would hope, want some standard set as to type of shorts. Bathing trunks to me would be okay, while others would argue they are not shorts and should not be allowed. If trunks are ok, how about speedos?

Do we want standards? I do!!!! I want "nice shorts", can't define nice, but I would know it when I see it. I want shirts, real shirts where the armpit hair is covered. I really would not want someone bare chested sitting where I had to see them if I look up from my plate. I want shoes on everyone! I don' t know why, but my brain says bare feet and a "restaurant" do not mix.

Want to disagree? Would you find bare foot guests acceptable? If not, why would what someone else wears affect your dining experience? Saw someones comment that attire would not affect them that in an earlier post.

Standards are important. Don't pick your nose in public, don't spit on your plate, if chewing tobacco don't do it at a dinner table:eek::eek::eek:. Guess standards are more important to me than they are to some.

and yet show no regard for the existing rules.

First, how many cruises have you been on with LMaxwell to know he has no regard for the existing rules?

Second, you DO know what they say about those that assume, right?

Second,I notice you say that you want the service you paid for in your cruise fare. Guess what, you also agreed to the contract that comes with your cruise in which it tells you what your required to wear in the MDR. Don't want to dress properly, you're not entitled to MDR service.

You might want to read that again, then post these requirements you speak of. Suggested? Yes. Required to entitle one to MDR service? No.

First, how many cruises have you been on with LMaxwell to know he has no regard for the existing rules?

Second, you DO know what they say about those that assume, right?

I've never worn shorts in the dining room of any ship, any cruise line, for dinner time. I sure would like to though. So I do follow rules I disagree with. I try to change them, I don't disregard them. I mean, if it's allowable for breakfast and lunch, why not dinner?

"Yes" for shorts. I would like to not have to pack a week's worth of pants for my husband. He has nice golf shorts he enjoys wearing that would be easier to pack, less likely to wrinkle, work double duty for daytime/nighttime wear, and would be more practical for a caribbean vacation - and still look nice in my opinion for casual nights. It's crazy that he changes into pants for dinner, and then the second we get done, goes back to the room and changes right back into shorts. What a waste of packing space. Also, if shorts were allowed, I might be able to get my brother and mom to go on a cruise with us without having to talk them out of eating at the buffet every night because they don't want to pack and wear "fancy pants" just to eat dinner on vacation.

You might want to read that again, then post these requirements you speak of. Suggested? Yes. Required to entitle one to MDR service? No.

How ever you want to put it. They have the right to not seat you in the MDR if you are not dressed properly. I'm not saying that they will or should. I really don't care. Just saying that they can.

Guess standards are more important to me than they are to some.

I think standards are important. I wouldn't go out to dinner in lawn mowing clothes, bathing attire, or sweaty gym clothes. Yet, I wear shorts probably 99% of the time I am home / dry land. It is my preference and what I am comfortable in. Usually nice, neat clean khaki (or blue, or grey) shorts with belt loops and with a pair of boat shoes.

I have no issues with standards. I just think the current policy is too strict and would like to see it relaxed. It is a standard that I don't think fits with the times. There was a time, NOT long ago, when the standard was first and second seating in the MDR for all three meals and if you were late you were out of luck. I don't see anyone looking for that standard to return, but it was, after all, cruise tradition.

I do not think relaxing the current policy is opening the flood gates either. Let the company empower its staff to enforce the relaxed standards and there won't be a problem for anyone. Those who wish to dress at the standard are accepted, those who wish to dress above the standard are certainly allowed and welcomed.

"Yes" for shorts. I would like to not have to pack a week's worth of pants for my husband. He has nice golf shorts he enjoys wearing that would be easier to pack, less likely to wrinkle, work double duty for daytime/nighttime wear, and would be more practical for a caribbean vacation - and still look nice in my opinion for casual nights. It's crazy that he changes into pants for dinner, and then the second we get done, goes back to the room and changes right back into shorts. What a waste of packing space. Also, if shorts were allowed, I might be able to get my brother and mom to go on a cruise with us without having to talk them out of eating at the buffet every night because they don't want to pack and wear "fancy pants" just to eat dinner on vacation.

I tend to pack one pair of khaki pants and one pair of black pants. Since I'm only wearing them in the evening, it's easy enough to wear each pair two or three times. And they are just pants; nothing particularly fancy. So, for me, "a week's worth of pants" is usually just two pair.

I too was on a recent Brilliance cruise and it may have been the same one. I know exactly what you're talking about regarding formal night attire. There were many people in shorts in MDR on casual night and they were more covered up than some of the women on formal night.

Yes, we were on the same cruise. As you probably found out, many of the people on the cruise were on college spring break. The girls dressed for college/sorority formal, not "people over age 25" formal. I felt very old! I think times have changed and people's ideas of what's appropriate to wear out is different.

I do not see how wearing Dockers to MDR is to strict, looks like most people agree since it seems about 55/45 in favor of dress code. But vote is closer than I thought it would be, I am old so I remember wearing jacket and tie every night- not that I would want that to come back.

I just got off the 8 day Indy Eastern route. I noticed a change in wording on the suggested dress section. It only says "Please no short pants" in the speciality restaurant section. Under the MDR section, it only says "Bathing Suits and bare feet are not appropriate for dining" or something like that. There was nothing about "short pants" in the MDR section on the compass.

I estimate 10-15% wore shorts to the MDR on casual nights.

This whole thread is funny. I can picture a waiter with a tape measure at the dining room door, just to make sure that the shorts pass the required length, which will be posted in the cruise compass. :). Then, there will be more complaints from someone, who was refused entry because their butt cheeks were showing. lol

During the summer, I wear nice khaki or chino style shorts to Mass every Sunday. If it's okay with God, then I think it should be okay for RCI. The shorts need to be finished off with a nice collard shirt or polo of course.

The issue people will have is what shorts are appropriate for casual dress evenings... IMO, dress as you would dress if you were at a country club during the day...

Uh..260 some odd votes...less than 10% of the passengers on RCCLs smallest ship. Wonder what the other 80 to 100k passengers who sail every week want?

Ten years ago "life" was different on a cruise ship...it was, in large measure, a visit to another bygone era with all the trappings of "pseudo" experience as many wanted a taste of a life they weren't able to afford at home. Now cruising is developing into a floating resort with more emphasis on physical activities and family oriented experiences and has become a place to wind down and be relaxed and casual and to get away from the constraints that everyday life and work environments pose on many. Cruising no longer markets itself as high-brow...it markets itself as fun and casual and carefree.

Last time I went to Hawaii it was all about bathing suits and a cute cover-up and a wrap skirt and shorts and hawaiian shirts....and you could go anywhere and do anything at any time and nobody else cared. Aren't cruises headed in the same direction since they are marketing to the same type of vacationers? Why would we think that cruising needs to stay formal and constricted and "judgmental" when land vacations to "fun in the sun" destinations don't?

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I guess wearing pants is now a "high-brow" experience. Who'da thunk it?

For many it is...their lives are a heck of a lot more casual...just wander around Phoenix for a day. "California" casual dressing is a lifestyle in a lot of places and to expect peeps who don't own a collared shirt or slacks or closed toed shoes to purchase them so they can eat dinner on a cruise ship is ridiculous.

I guess wearing pants is now a "high-brow" experience. Who'da thunk it?

Going by what I've read on these threads I guess it is. People talking about who gets "looks" for not dressing up, another guy who won't talk to people at his table who aren't dressed up, people talking about "class" and "respect" and "what this world is coming to".

I live near Houston, TX where it is hot and humid nine months out of the year, pretty much like the Caribbean (if not hotter). I wear shorts exclusively during that time including in restaurants. It seems kind of odd that I have to sweat my posterior off in long pants to go to dinner on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. That being said, if that is the prevailing rule, and it is evenly enforced, I will wear said long pants.

For many it is...their lives are a heck of a lot more casual...just wander around Phoenix for a day. "California" casual dressing is a lifestyle in a lot of places and to expect peeps who don't own a collared shirt or slacks or closed toed shoes to purchase them so they can eat dinner on a cruise ship is ridiculous.

I don't believe there is a requirement or even a suggestion to have to wear closed toe shoes to have dinner. Not sure where you learned of this. Closed toe shoes ARE generally required for a galley tour, but tennis type shoes suffice.

M

That being said, if that is the prevailing rule, and it is evenly enforced, I will wear said long pants.

Its not even evenly enforced on individual ships, much less fleetwide.

The minute you get turned away for having shorts on and return back from changing into pants, you will likely see several in there wearing shorts. :rolleyes:

Thats my whole point about all this mess. Either ENFORCE the dress code regarding shorts or do away with it.

Edited by ryano