• Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

There will be four choices to this poll

Yes (Man)

Yes (Woman)

No (Man)

No (Woman)

This has absolutely nothing to do with formal night. No one will ever be forced to wear shorts if they do not want to.

Yes, on casual nights. I would never wear them but those who wish to should be allowed to. We are talking about a mass market cruise line that caters to families in the warm and tropic CARIBBEAN. Not a Cunard ship on a Transatlantic voyage.

I expect it will happen pretty soon. Mass market cruise lines like to follow others lead. Pretty sure shorts are just fine on casual night on Carnival and Norwegian.

Allow casual dress shorts and ENFORCE that no "gym shorts" or 'bathing suits" are allowed. Period.

Shorts in dinning room should just remain for Carnival and Norwegian

Have you been on either of those lines? Norwegian allows shorts every night in MOST restaurants, but there are some restaurants shorts are NOT allowed. They do enforce their code very well. We never saw anyone out of place. We never saw anyone in gym shorts/unshowered. Just people enjoying their lives and the health and wealth to take a cruise. Perhaps before dismissing something, give it a try. Collect data and make a call then.

Best-

Steve (I am a man and I vote yes to this poll). Have a nice day everyone.

Yes, on casual nights. I would never wear them but those who wish to should be allowed to. We are talking about a mass market cruise line that caters to families in the warm and tropic CARIBBEAN. Not a Cunard ship on a Transatlantic voyage.

I expect it will happen pretty soon. Mass market cruise lines like to follow others lead. Pretty sure shorts are just fine on casual night on Carnival and Norwegian.

Allow casual dress shorts and ENFORCE that no "gym shorts" or 'bathing suits" are allowed. Period.

Gym shorts and bathing suits (maybe with a cover-up) will be next to show up once shorts are allowed. This is a downhill slope.

I just don't get it, a certain item of clothing increases enjoyment of a cruise???

Yes. Suits and tuxes and ball gowns increase enjoyment of a cruise? Can't possibly be by your logic.

Gym shorts and bathing suits (maybe with a cover-up) will be next to show up once shorts are allowed. This is a downhill slope.

Ad hoc argument with no data to back it up at all.

Have you been on either of those lines? Norwegian allows shorts every night in MOST restaurants, but there are some restaurants shorts are NOT allowed. They do enforce their code very well. We never saw anyone out of place. We never saw anyone in gym shorts/unshowered. Just people enjoying their lives and the health and wealth to take a cruise. Perhaps before dismissing something, give it a try. Collect data and make a call then.

Best-

Steve (I am a man and I vote yes to this poll). Have a nice day everyone.

I have done both in the past, did NCL 13 times, loved the Norway but I thought service and food went down hill at start of there free-style dinning.

I say yes to shorts on casual nights. It's a male clothing revolution out there. First we rid ourselves of that cloth around our necks and now the cloth on our calf's. Only then can men be truly equal with our DW's. ( in our dreams) :)

If shorts were allowed at dinner (which I would prefer), it just moves the issue of a dress code to a different level. Will there be an acceptable and unacceptable level of what should be accepted as shorts? Athletic shorts, basketball uniforms, Daisy Dukes, frayed cutoffs at dinner okay? To me, it just moves the disagreement to another arena.

Many of those advocating shorts (me included) have a vision of a certain level of neatness at dinner.What if the actuality were quite different?

Another poster has already suggested that there should be an acceptable level, and I agree.

But others won't, including members of the overwhelming majority of cruisers who have never read an online forum about attire opinions, and will feel any shorts meet the standard (and believe no one has the right to say which are acceptable).

Allow shorts - one problem solved, another started.

Good grief...shorts are a way of life in many corners of the world, including the Caribbean where schoolkids, police officers, bankers (you get the picture) wear them as a matter of course. In my town kids wear shorts 24/7 even on the coldest snow days. And peeps don't want to "allow" them in a dining room on a friggin cruise ship. How utterly absurd and circa 1800's of them. A cruise is a vacation destination for anyone who can afford the fare...and their lifestyle choices in clothing are as valid as anyone else's.

I don't give two hoots about what anyone else wears...(and by the way athletic shorts are way longer than most women's dresses). I wouldn't care if someone wore their bathing suit to dinner (AS LONG AS IT WAS DRY) since the skimpy outfits passed off as cocktail dresses and sun dresses use about the same amount of material.

How many of us force our families to "dress for dinner" at home.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Shorts in dinning room should just remain for Carnival and Norwegian

Having been on several cruises on both CCL and NCL, I don't think other passengers in shorts detracted from my enjoyment in any way. If shorts is more comfortable for you, great, we're all on the cruise to have a good time

Yes

Yes

For casual nites only, they'd still be out of place in the MDR on formal nites.

Edited by bucsdave

Sadly the results of this poll are highly unscientific, due to the limited people who would respond. First of all, only a certain segment of the cruising population are registered on CC, and only a small portion of those will see this thread AND choose to post their opinion.

I suspect that this inherent bias will draw a vocal minority out to post in this poll, skewing the validity of the results.

Regardless of how this poll turns out, I would not view it as accurate on this topic at all.

Sadly the results of this poll are highly unscientific, due to the limited people who would respond. First of all, only a certain segment of the cruising population are registered on CC, and only a small portion of those will see this thread AND choose to post their opinion.

It seems someone points this out just about every time someone posts a poll on the site. I don't think there is any general myth that these CC opinion polls are actually scientifically valid, so hardly any need to dispel such a myth. Just answer (or not) as you feel led. :)

Yes...of course they should be allowed...times have changed and it's time RCI change with what their cruiser's want. Anyone that feels that what someone wears will affect their dining enjoyment should just avoid looking at them...after all you that wear (ball gowns, brides maid dresses and out of date tux's) have no affect on me. I've sailed on over 20+ RCI cruises and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere that is finally taking place.

Just off Mariner and believe me the ones (two couples) in the CL that looked like they were dressed for a coronation were the ones that looked out of place.

I feel it is okay Only on a Casual Night. I was on Serenade for a 12 Night Italy and Greek cruise we got back late from a tour and went straight to the MDR wearing shorts and no one said anything even though it was a casual night. I enjoy putting on a suit now and then but some people still go overboard with the Tux's and Ball Gowns.:D