How Do You Get to Port Canaveral from Disney World?

Doctor_Who

I'm hoping we can fly into Orlando a few days before our cruise and spend some time at Disney. We will stay on site at Disney. What are our options for getting to the port? Please include estimated price if possible. Thanks!

I don't know price or how it works since you aren't going on a Disney cruise but the Magical Express takes you to the port. You may need to take the "free" Magical Express back to the airport and then take the RCL bus to the port.

We hired a car service. There are plenty of them out there. I believe ours was $200 round trip (picked us up after the cruise and took us back to the airport) 45 minutes from the port.

Do you know the name of the car service? Thanks :)

We are doing this in a week and a half. So excited!

We fly into Orlando and have a hotel in Downtown Disney. It's not a WDW property so we had to pay for our own transportation to the hotel from the airport. There are 6 of us and we are paying $65 for a dedicated van/shuttle through VIP Limo (michael robinson). We will spend 3 nights at Disney.

Then we are using this same shuttle company for a dedicated van from our hotel in Disney to Port Canaveral to board the Freedom for $150. Then our last leg from the Port to the airport is $135 for again another dedicated van.

I hope this helps.

We hired a car one way for the trip. Budget has promo codes for one way and other discounts, use google for the latest ones or find them on disney or travel forums. It cost us about $20 and they have a free shuttle to the cruise ship from their Port Canaveral office. You can stop to buy water/wine/last minute purchases on the way.:)

Thanks! We'd rather not rent a car but the dedicated car/van sounds like a good idea. My brother wants to do the space center tour post-cruise so that will get us to the airport after, I was just so confused on how to get to the port since we've only ever sailed from Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks! We'd rather not rent a car but the dedicated car/van sounds like a good idea. My brother wants to do the space center tour post-cruise so that will get us to the airport after, I was just so confused on how to get to the port since we've only ever sailed from Fort Lauderdale.

I both live near and work at the AF station adjacent to the port, I can attest it's very easy to get to. I second the one way rental each way. This would also give you maximum freedom to explore after the cruise. The drive to the port is straight down 528 with a couple small tolls and car rental return is just a couple miles past the port. Should be pretty cheap too, but if you absolutely don't want to drive, there are several shuttle options as explained above. Either way, enjoy!

I have used Roadrunner Shuttle and was very happy with them. I have used Cocoa Beach shuttle and they were cheaper but their vans are older. Nothing wrong with them though. The Florida boards will have more information.

I always do a rental when we do this exact thing. Pick it up at MCO and drop just down the street from the port and they'll shuttle you to the ship. Easy to do. That gives us more freedom to move around the Disney complex.

Ah, never thought about picking it up at MCO. We are not from the US so I'm hesitance to rent a car but it does seem like a good option.... We don't like thinking on vacation though and driving and trying not to get lost might be crossing that line though lol.

Ah, never thought about picking it up at MCO. We are not from the US so I'm hesitance to rent a car but it does seem like a good option.... We don't like thinking on vacation though and driving and trying not to get lost might be crossing that line though lol.

Just go the the rental car company's Canadian site, book in Canadian $, check with your auto insurance to see if you are covered for rentals in the States so you don't have to buy the overpriced extra insurance they will want to sell you (you will be on most policies), pick the car up and follow the signs. Psst they write with the same language as we do - hard to believe, but it's true. But the maximum 60 on the highway is aboot 100 in real speed ;). You can also bring your own GPS with you and plug it into the rental car as most come with both Canadian and U.S. maps.

Haha, I'm glad the language is the same :P My credit card includes insurance if I use it to book. We live by the border so we drive in the US a lot but I've never rented a car in the US before. Good idea about bringing the GPS.

That sucks that the shuttle can take that long just to get to the port :(

Guess I'll have to talk more with my brother and see which is a better option. Thanks everyone, at least I know it's not some crazy impossible thing to do lol

Haha, I'm glad the language is the same :P My credit card includes insurance if I use it to book. We live by the border so we drive in the US a lot but I've never rented a car in the US before. Good idea about bringing the GPS.

That sucks that the shuttle can take that long just to get to the port :(

Guess I'll have to talk more with my brother and see which is a better option. Thanks everyone, at least I know it's not some crazy impossible thing to do lol

Take a look at this thread. Great deal on buying US$OBC at a great exchange rate. Also save on prepaying your gratuities in CDN$ ahead of time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570

We drive down every year so I'm with the others in recommending the one way rental. The roads are really easy to navigate.

We have two couples joining us in Cocoa Beach the day before our cruise. Each is renting a car through Alamo for one day. Picking up at MCO and dropping off in Cape Canaveral. The total for each car with taxes is $17. Prices will probably vary from week to week, but not a bad price for our week.

Edited by pdbcruisers

I don't know price or how it works since you aren't going on a Disney cruise but the Magical Express takes you to the port. You may need to take the "free" Magical Express back to the airport and then take the RCL bus to the port.

The "Disney Magical Express" only goes between Walt Disney World and MCO, it does not go to Port Canaveral. There is a separate Disney Cruise Line bus that goes between the parks, MCO and the port.

But, yes, you could take the DME from the parks back to MCO and then get a RCL transfer from MCO to the port. However, the transfer only runs on days that a RCL ship is boarding and if you're wanting to do any other touring before you depart then it's probably not a great plan.

Transfer Program

If you choose to make your own air arrangements or book air through our online ChoiceAir Travel Program you may wish to purchase ground transportation to the ship. Transfers are available for pre-purchase from the arrival airport to the pier on day of sailing and from the pier to the departure airport on debarkation day only.

It is recommended that transfers are purchased two weeks prior to sailing. Please remember we require your flight information in order to promptly meet all guests.

To purchase your Royal Caribbean Guest Transfer or for additional information consult your travel agent or our Reservations Department at 1-800-327-6700.

We used Happy Limo for our transportation while in Port Canaveral last week. They were very reliable.

We went from Port Canaveral to Epcot for the day and made private arrangement with them.

The ride is about an hour long each way.

:cool:

Take a look at this thread. Great deal on buying US$OBC at a great exchange rate. Also save on prepaying your gratuities in CDN$ ahead of time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2159570

We drive down every year so I'm with the others in recommending the one way rental. The roads are really easy to navigate.

I ended up paying a lot more than I thought when I paid my gratuities and bought OBC, I had booked my cruise in US dollars. To get the really good exchange rate you had to have booked your cruise in Canadian dollars!!! I paid a lot more than I bargained for and only found out later that you had to have your cruise booked in Cdn. $$ = Check it out before buying anything to make sure what rate of exchange you are paying.