Formal Nights and Blu Restaurant

stromer

It's amazing how people flame a poster for stating their opinion, but miss the point of the discussion. The last line says it all-- "Clean and neat". Our last X cruise in Blu, several times we were seated next to a couple who literally had body odor that could be detected at the table adjoining theirs. His shirt had food stains and perspiration marks, but it was collared, so it was allowed. Her attempt to cover her odor problem with strong cologne only made matters worse. We endured it twice, and on a third night the hostess was heading us that way and we asked to be seated elsewhere. I noticed that the couple that got seated next to them asked to be moved before the main course arrived.

No one will ever change the "casual dressing" advocates from their opinion, nor should anyone try. They are a very vocal bunch. The cruise line dress code is in their favor. Some of us who have been cruising for many years do miss the olden days when dressing up on several nights was part of the cruise experience. Life itself has become more casual, and that is fine, but there is a definite difference between casual and sloppy and slovenly. Clean is still considered essential.

The flaming... As you call it wouldn't be towards the last couple of words but towards the rest of the post that is full of wrong & misleading information...

Opinions are fine but to give out incorrect info isn't...

Chris you made me laugh!

My son is a International soccer nut and actually asked me if he could wear his Real Madrid Jersey in Blue. You guys will have a lot to talk about next week but I am warning you the team he follows in the EPL is Chelsea!

Wonder if we will be able to get the Women's world cup on the ship?

Can I say what a very sensible son you have as well - I am a Chelsea season ticket holder so enjoy watching the champions all the time :)

It's amazing how people flame a poster for stating their opinion, but miss the point of the discussion. The last line says it all-- "Clean and neat". Our last X cruise in Blu, several times we were seated next to a couple who literally had body odor that could be detected at the table adjoining theirs. His shirt had food stains and perspiration marks, but it was collared, so it was allowed. Her attempt to cover her odor problem with strong cologne only made matters worse. We endured it twice, and on a third night the hostess was heading us that way and we asked to be seated elsewhere. I noticed that the couple that got seated next to them asked to be moved before the main course arrived.

No one will ever change the "casual dressing" advocates from their opinion, nor should anyone try. They are a very vocal bunch. The cruise line dress code is in their favor. Some of us who have been cruising for many years do miss the olden days when dressing up on several nights was part of the cruise experience. Life itself has become more casual, and that is fine, but there is a definite difference between casual and sloppy and slovenly. Clean is still considered essential.

Nobody flamed you, the issue of boy odor is another point which we are now just finding out. This is a board which is supposed to give out information to those interested in cruising. Your comments in your first post were factual incorrect on many levels according to the dress code of Celebrity Cruises who is the host. Again, there is a big difference between being flamed and having incorrect info you gave corrected.

Nobody flamed you, the issue of boy odor is another point which we are now just finding out. This is a board which is supposed to give out information to those interested in cruising. Your comments in your first post were factual incorrect on many levels according to the dress code of Celebrity Cruises who is the host. Again, there is a big difference between being flamed and having incorrect info you gave corrected.

Always a hot topic! Some people brag about just bringing a carry on for the entire cruise- and wear the same clothes for days- Think that they are on a camping trip! But to each his/her own! The dress code is posted and people should show respect for the code- not a last minute surprise. Cruising isn't for everyone-nor is camping!

I've never understood why people feel the need to change their clothes every day. Surely one of the purposes of underwear is to soak up most of the odours. Outer clothing very rarely gets smelly and so long as you change your underwear, shower every day and use deodorant then body odour should not be a problem.

I've never understood why people feel the need to change their clothes every day. Surely one of the purposes of underwear is to soak up most of the odours. Outer clothing very rarely gets smelly and so long as you change your underwear, shower every day and use deodorant then body odour should not be a problem.

That may be true if you are staying inside, certainly not if you are out touring. Your clothing picks up the odors from outdoors. Ladies with too much perfume are a problem too. It takes your breath away when some of them get on the elevator.

Edited by Ma Bell

I've never understood why people feel the need to change their clothes every day. Surely one of the purposes of underwear is to soak up most of the odours. Outer clothing very rarely gets smelly and so long as you change your underwear, shower every day and use deodorant then body odour should not be a problem.[/QUOT

Surely you never met my mother! Lol!

I feel like I opened a huge can of worms! I really just wanted to know what the dress guidelines are. I prefer not to wear jeans at dinner, but. If it's the rule, then of course people are within their rights to wear them. Just to muddy the waters, my sister spoke with a celebrity representative again yesterday, and was told that jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms after 6 pm. Now do you understand why I'm confused,and asked the question?

I feel like I opened a huge can of worms! I really just wanted to know what the dress guidelines are. I prefer not to wear jeans at dinner, but. If it's the rule, then of course people are within their rights to wear them. Just to muddy the waters, my sister spoke with a celebrity representative again yesterday, and was told that jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms after 6 pm. Now do you understand why I'm confused,and asked the question?

Haha. One of the reasons there is so much debate here is because Celebrity often doesn't know their own rules. Once you filter out all the "opinions" in these threads then you will get some accurate info on how things work on board.

The problem is that rules are often ignored by people or not enforced by the cruise line. This causes confusion. I recall a Princess cruise that is an example of this. In the main theatre it was announed no children in the first row of theatre, and no seat saving. The recorded announcement was played multiple times. Yet both were going on. Some people do not obey rules and the cruise lines vary as to enforcing the rules. Hence the confusion and inconsisity.

The problem is that rules are often ignored by people or not enforced by the cruise line. This causes confusion. I recall a Princess cruise that is an example of this. In the main theatre it was announed no children in the first row of theatre, and no seat saving. The recorded announcement was played multiple times. Yet both were going on. Some people do not obey rules and the cruise lines vary as to enforcing the rules. Hence the confusion and inconsisity.

Why have a rule that doesn't allow children in the first row of the theatre ? [emoji32]

Why let them on the boat even [emoji33][emoji12]

Why have a rule that doesn't allow children in the first row of the theatre ? [emoji32]

Why let them on the boat even [emoji33][emoji12]

The reason is that safety concerns perhaps with the acrobatics they are afraid that a young child might run on stage or cause a distraction. I am just "guessing". Some parents do however, leave young children unsupervised also, have seen many running around the ship and pressing every button on the elevator, while their parents aren't around.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Whoever told you that was dead wrong. Jeans were prohibited until about five years when Celebrity changed their policy, it no longer appears on the web site or in any documents. This has really not been an issue for quite awhile.

You have every right to ask your question here on CC. That's what it's for!!

Having been on many Celebrity cruises, it is my observation in my OWN experience, that 75-80% of people "dress up" for dinner. Whether that means maxi dresses, gowns, sequins and dress pants, suits, sportcoats and ties, and a small percent of tuxes on formal nights.

It is also my observation that here on CC, the most vocal regarding the dress code really push the casual attire thing. Perhaps they feel a little funny being under dressed and want more company so they can become less of the minority?

The only place I have observed jeans is at the buffet and the occasional "stick out like a sore thumb" person in the dining room or aqua, etc.

Majority on Celebrity dress elegantly for dinner. Period.

Having been on many Celebrity cruises' date=' it is my observation in my OWN experience, that 75-80% of people "dress up" for dinner. Whether that means maxi dresses, gowns, sequins and dress pants, suits, sportcoats and ties, and a small percent of tuxes on formal nights.

It is also my observation that here on CC, the most vocal regarding the dress code really push the casual attire thing. Perhaps they feel a little funny being under dressed and want more company so they can become less of the minority?

The only place I have observed jeans is at the buffet and the occasional "stick out like a sore thumb" person in the dining room or aqua, etc.

Majority on Celebrity dress elegantly for dinner. Period.[/quote']

Again another statement that sound like it's from someone wanting to encourage others to dress how they want people to dress and not as the individual asking the question might...

Of the 6 celebrity cruises I've done in the last 2 & 1/2 years I've seen plenty of people wearing jeans in all dining rooms on the ship on non formal nights... And I'm not saying this as a fan of casual clothes Vs dressing up as to be completely honest I couldn't care less what other people wear to dinner... It wouldn't affect my dining experience either way... I'm saying it as from my experience if you choose to wear jeans or any other casual clothes on non formal nights you wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb... To say they would maybe says something about the judger not the judged!!

On non formal nights I wouldn't say the majority dressed elegantly id say it was 50/50 with a elegant/casual mix!

I hope the majority dress how they WANT to dress and not how they feel they should dress to make others happy from posts like this! [emoji57]

Because they have just as much right to be on the ship as you or I

Of course kids do- However many parents let their kids run wild and feel a sense of entitlement and do not supervise them. We bring ours and either they are supervisored by us or in camp. Just simple consideration.

Having been on many Celebrity cruises' date=' it is my observation in my OWN experience, that 75-80% of people "dress up" for dinner. Whether that means maxi dresses, gowns, sequins and dress pants, suits, sportcoats and ties, and a small percent of tuxes on formal nights.

Agreed. The itinerary of the ship plays a big part in how guests dress for dinner. European cruises tend to be a lot dressier than Caribbean. Also, since only a very small percentage of passengers actually read Cruise Critic forums, the majority of cruisers follow what the sales brochures picture or what is told to them by their travel agent. Celebrity is thought of as a more upscale and elegant cruise line in the mass market, and many people will dress for that image.

Agreed. The itinerary of the ship plays a big part in how guests dress for dinner. European cruises tend to be a lot dressier than Caribbean. Also, since only a very small percentage of passengers actually read Cruise Critic forums, the majority of cruisers follow what the sales brochures picture or what is told to them by their travel agent. Celebrity is thought of as a more upscale and elegant cruise line in the mass market, and many people will dress for that image.

Care to try and find a Celebrity marketing piece showing a tux?

Because they have just as much right to be on the ship as you or I

so why dont they get a vote or be allowed a drink ?[emoji41]

Edited by gcgold

The only place I have observed jeans is at the buffet and the occasional "stick out like a sore thumb" person in the dining room or aqua' date=' etc.

Your question is valid. My husband wears jeans almost every night, and never feels out of place, or sticks out like a sore thumb because he has plenty of company. We eat in Blu, so the dress code is always smart casual, but if he was in the regular dining room he would not wear jeans on formal nights. You will see every type of attire, but it is getting more and more casual.