Children at evening entertainment

Msmojo66

I've tried searching, so hoping can get some advice. Traveling in May on the Jewel and wondering...are children welcome at evening events? I'm talking game shows, Karaoke, lounges with music. My daughter who is 7 loves music and hoping she can be apart of some of this.

They are always welcome unless it says 18 and older

However you don't usually see massive amounts of kids at them although you will see several

My guess that lots of the kids are at the kids club during the 7 to 10 time slot or later or that families with kids who don't want to go to the club are usually in their cabins by 10 or 11

Either way kids are most certainly welcome and the shows and activities are appropriate for the most part

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

However you don't usually see massive amounts of kids at them although you will see several

My guess that lots of the kids are at the kids club during the 7 to 10 time slot or later or that families with kids who don't want to go to the club are usually in their cabins by 10 or 11

Either way kids are most certainly welcome and the shows and activities are appropriate for the most part

Thank you for your information!!

I don't have children, but when I was on the Sun, I noticed that they had some events recommended as PG-13. These were labeled in the daily as well as during promotions by the cruise director. I thought that was good information for those who were concerned about the content of a show.

I don't have children, but when I was on the Sun, I noticed that they had some events recommended as PG-13. These were labeled in the daily as well as during promotions by the cruise director. I thought that was good information for those who were concerned about the content of a show.

Oh, that is great news!!! Thank you so much!!!

This has been our experience also. When the rated R stuff happens it is usually scheduled for later and they do make sure that everyone knows that adult only is on the way.

I was just on the Getaway with a 4 and 2 year old. My kids love singing and dancing and music. The Welcome Aboard and Farewell shows were perfect for them! We also did the Illusionarium which they were entranced by.

Have a great cruise!

I've tried searching, so hoping can get some advice. Traveling in May on the Jewel and wondering...are children welcome at evening events? I'm talking game shows, Karaoke, lounges with music. My daughter who is 7 loves music and hoping she can be apart of some of this.

There is nothing that states they are not allowed if that is what you are asking, but I will say, a 7 year old, whether she loves music or not might be a little happier in the kids club with her friends. I know our 8 year old GGranddaughter just did the Jewel, she is very mature, yes, love music and still she preferred to hang out with her friends. I think some of the music might be fun for your daughter, but Karoke is usually a bit on the late side and the game shows may or may not interest her. Only you know your daughter. I have seen kids love these activities, more often than not, I have seen them get bored shortly after the start of the activity. Just use your judgement, some of the entertainment will be perfect for her.

Edited by newmexicoNita

A lot of the shows will have 2 listed times. The first is usually the "family friendly" version and the second is usually the "adult" version.

We have taken our (now 6 year old) to some of the shows. Some she loved, others she was bored or didn't understand, some she fell asleep. LOL We have left her to play at the kids club before and then really wished she would have been with us because we know she would have loved the show. So we try to read what is going on and what type of show it is and then explain it to her and left her decide.

I have always seen kids at the shows, music, and so on. Not always a lot of them, but some.

I do know with the White Hot party, the kids are allowed there (whether outside or inside at a lounge), but they request that the children leave at 11pm, but have seen it not enforced. Our daughter loves dancing and the music, so we usually just play it by ear.

My kids ages 13, 10, and 8 did not like the kids club and went to lots of entertainment at night. We were usually done by 10 or so and always went to the family friendly versions.

We were on the Getaway and they loved the dueling piano bar, the game shows, and the piano bar, etc. We had lots of fun and no one ever said anything, we also went to the early comedy show one night and the ice bar with no problem.

We took our son who was four at the time on our last carnival cruise. Carnival has no reservations so we would often get there at least twenty minutes early and he was totally bored before the shows even started, even ones like the hasbro game show. Just too much talking from the cd for him. He lived karaoke and he and I did a duet of ring around the Rosie, everyone loved it. The only thing I wouldn't personally recommend for kids besides things that are obviously labeled for adults are the comedy shows...even the family friendly ones imo are fairly off color and have too many innuendos for me to feel comfortable. But that is just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful information!!! We are getting so excited and now down to less than a 40 day count down!!!! While she may enjoy the kids club, not sure how many kids will be sailing due to fact that school will still be in session. Just hoping we can all enjoy some of the activities together!! Someday maybe I'll have a job that actually allows me time off during her summer vacations not before harvest kicks in!!

Hi, we're from England so not familiar with the American style ratings.

What age are R films rated?

Here you go...

G – General Audience – Suitable for all ages.

PG – Parental Guidance – Parental guidance advised. There is no age restriction but some material may not be suitable for all children.

14A – 14 Accompaniment – Persons under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.

18A – 18 Accompaniment – Persons under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. In the Maritimes & Manitoba, children under the age of 14 are prohibited from viewing the film.

R – Restricted – Admittance restricted to people 18 years of age or older.

A – Adult – Admittance restricted to people 18 years of age or older. Sole purpose of the film is the portrayal of sexually explicit activity and/or explicit violence. In Alberta, the A category is used only for sexually explicit products. Manitoba and Ontario do not have this category, Manitoba uses a barcode labelling system for Adult home videos while Ontario has a Restricted-Adult Sex (RX) rating for home video products. In British Columbia, the A symbol is a red octagon rather than a blue diamond.

We were on the jewel last year may30 sailing. There wasn't a ton of children. My then 12 year old didn't care for the kids club, as she was the oldest.(or maybe we are just that cool, she wanted to hang with us😂). Kids were at the shows, music and games, however you could tell that some were kinda bored at something's. The trivia was generally not something they knew about. The hot white party was a blast, they kicked kids out at some point. We did see many families playing games in the library or game room( can't remeber the proper name), we had brought our own cards and dominos. Y'all will have a blast.

I think many children would enjoy the music and shows. Just one caution, although I'm sure you are a very careful about being considerate. We have noticed more than once children just spinning in the middle of the dance floor making it impossible/dangerous for real dancing. That is the only time I saw inappropriate activity. The band chose to take a quick break after the four year old wouldn't get off the dance floor.

My kids ages 13, 10, and 8 did not like the kids club and went to lots of entertainment at night. We were usually done by 10 or so and always went to the family friendly versions.

We were on the Getaway and they loved the dueling piano bar, the game shows, and the piano bar, etc. We had lots of fun and no one ever said anything, we also went to the early comedy show one night and the ice bar with no problem.

We were on the jewel last year may30 sailing. There wasn't a ton of children. My then 12 year old didn't care for the kids club, as she was the oldest.(or maybe we are just that cool, she wanted to hang with us😂). Kids were at the shows, music and games, however you could tell that some were kinda bored at something's. The trivia was generally not something they knew about. The hot white party was a blast, they kicked kids out at some point. We did see many families playing games in the library or game room( can't remeber the proper name), we had brought our own cards and dominos. Y'all will have a blast.

I don't mean to high jack the thread, but I'm very interested in hearing more about why you think your kids did not like the clubs. Were there not enough kids of the same age? Not enough activities that they found interesting? Was the 13 year old in the teen club? Thanks.

Here you go...

G – General Audience – Suitable for all ages.

PG – Parental Guidance – Parental guidance advised. There is no age restriction but some material may not be suitable for all children.

14A – 14 Accompaniment – Persons under 14 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.

18A – 18 Accompaniment – Persons under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. In the Maritimes & Manitoba, children under the age of 14 are prohibited from viewing the film.

R – Restricted – Admittance restricted to people 18 years of age or older.

A – Adult – Admittance restricted to people 18 years of age or older. Sole purpose of the film is the portrayal of sexually explicit activity and/or explicit violence. In Alberta, the A category is used only for sexually explicit products. Manitoba and Ontario do not have this category, Manitoba uses a barcode labelling system for Adult home videos while Ontario has a Restricted-Adult Sex (RX) rating for home video products. In British Columbia, the A symbol is a red octagon rather than a blue diamond.

Thank you Pisenor and Sparks 1093. On RCCL we were told that all films shown were suitable for families, so last year, when on HAL, I assumed the same but no sooner had we sat down on our seats we had to quickly leave as their was an adult scene unsuitable for my then 10 year old daughter.

Thank you Pisenor and Sparks 1093. On RCCL we were told that all films shown were suitable for families, so last year, when on HAL, I assumed the same but no sooner had we sat down on our seats we had to quickly leave as their was an adult scene unsuitable for my then 10 year old daughter.

You are welcome. The rest of the US ratings are G for general audiences, PG parental guidance is suggested, PG-13 parental guidance might not be suitable for those under 13 and R under 17 admitted with an adult (we also have NC-17 which means no one under 17 admitted at all but I haven't seen many films with that rating).

Our 16 year old liked the club. She befriend another CC son and his friend. They hung out together. A great reason to go to the meet and greet! We also enjoyed his parents company through out the cruise. There was a large youth group on board and they mostly kept to themselves. Apparently there was a new youth person for the teens that just came aboard and didn't like what the previous person had plan and was changing everything. So everything that had been printed on the dailies were kinda wrong, also caused some miscommunication, but they figured it out. Our 12 year old did not like it. They group was 9 to 12 I believe. It might have been 8 year old too. There just wasn't enough older Tweens I guess to separate them. There was 1 other 12 year old. And she was a Whiney child. I thought my daughter was exaggerating until we happen to be around them, one night. I thought my husband was going to offer to fix that whiney, entitled behavior for them! My 12 year old still had a blast with us and her big sister despite lack of club. We however did not ever let her roam alone. It's honestly something we are just not comfortable doing.

Don't know if you would feel comfortable doing this or not. My son and his wife went on a cruise (have been on many) with the 11 year old and 10 year old. A couple of nights, they went to the specialty restaurants and just put their two kids into the dining room. They are really very mature, well behaved children who can easily order their own meals and my son had glowing reports on the children from waiters and other diners when they picked them up. Something to think about. Of course, it wouldn't work with all children!

Edited by Scotchick

Shotchick- I would definitely be comfortable with both my kids going together to dinner, which they did. They also would go shopping or exploring, on the ship. We just think safety in numbers and all that jazz, lol.

Don't know if you would feel comfortable doing this or not. My son and his wife went on a cruise (have been on many) with the 11 year old and 10 year old. A couple of nights, they went to the specialty restaurants and just put their two kids into the dining room. They are really very mature, well behaved children who can easily order their own meals and my son had glowing reports on the children from waiters and other diners when they picked them up. Something to think about. Of course, it wouldn't work with all children!

I think that is a wonderful idea if your children have those skills. I bet all the positive comments reinforced their good behavior and confidence!