Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

It may not stick, but unfortunately for many the damage has been done. If nothing else it is a harbinger of what to expect under Del Rio and is indicative of the direction he wants to take NCL.

Think about it this way if it doesn't stick maybe it'll make him rethink some of his ideas

Your posting reminded me of the demise of Continental Airlines albeit in a different way. I used to fly frequently both domestic and international. Enough so that on one of my routes the flight attendants would say "Welcome Back when I stepped on board. Continental's staff were obviously proud of what they did ... from at least a snack on all flights, to placing your luggage on the belt instead of throwing it.

Then rumors began that Continental was about to be subsumed by United. Then it happened. Immediately after United took over (51%), all meal service (unless purchased) stopped. I used to guess whether flight attendants were "Continental" or "United" based on their personalities. Sometimes, during the inflight introduction, flight attendant would say "You are being serviced today by an all Continental Crew." Proud of their dedication to clean, reliable service. If you haven't read it, Continental's Bethume's book called Worst to First talks about building an airline and what place loyal customers and loyal employees play.

On a recent cruise onboard the Norwegian Star, two team members greeted me within my first hour on board - one of them running up to me at the lifeboat drill. They remembered me and I remembered them from sailing together before. On this same cruise, about a week into it, our cabin attendant came to me and said there was a cabin attendant on another floor that wanted to say hello. Turns out they had been our cabin attendant on another cruise. Another positive interaction for both of us.

Regretably, I have also asked more than one of the crew members whether they had received the letter that I had sent to Norwegian about them and their exceptional service. I had been told on board by NCL supervisors/officers that letters sent to NCL headquarters about team members would eventually make it to the person you were complimenting. With repeated incidences of this happening, I had to believe that telling team members when they were complimented did not always happen.

One of my favorite memories is about a waiter in the main dining room. I first met him when he was beginning training ... yes, carrying trays of food from the kitchen to the serving stand and dirty dishes back to the kitchen. When I first met this man, he spoke very little English. He looked embarrassed when I thanked him for his service at the end of the cruise. All he could say with limited English was Thank You, Thank You. Now, this man is ending a second year and has his own tables as "the waiter". I can see the joy on his face when he has recognized us and comes up and say's "Remember Me?"

I think it behooves all of us to remember that the littlest cog in the wheel may not know what is going on ... but they are working and trying their best. We, as guests, can still give a smile, ask their name, thank them for a job well done with little cost, not even a convenience charge.

Communication to staff and rewarding them for jobs well done is instrumental in building/maintaining the business whether airline or cruising. From what you said (in the quote above), it is yet another example of how the on-board staff did not know what the "head" was doing.

Effective Communication + Strong Public Relations takes the mystery out of what NCL is doing and why they are doing it. And to NCL: "A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine to go down."

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your memories. And also for the "Worst to First" recommendation.

On our last full day on the Star, I sat in the atrium with a latte and wrote four "Dear Hugo" notes with detailed kudos for four crew members. I can't tell you how disappointing and disturbing it is to consider for a minute that the crew members might not ever receive this or other feedback from customers.

Since I'm not back to work until tomorrow, my mind still is with my experience on the Star and I can't shake the feeling that something was decidedly different. There was an un-ease that is difficult to explain. We spend a lot of time observing and noticing. We also look for positives rather than dwelling on what may be missing the mark.

When we were on the Jewel last, I remember greeting a crew member from a previous cruise. We both remembered each other and enjoyed chatting again. I saw her every morning. At the end of the cruise, I told her that I looked forward to seeing her again on a future cruise.

Yes, effective communication and strong public relations are both essential and vital to the success of a company -- especially a people-oriented business like a cruise line. The strong, positive interactions between staff and guests benefit staff, guests and the company. I want NCL to not only survive, but to be strong, to thrive and to succeed in all aspects of its business. The intangibles are important key indicators. The bottom line is just one measure of success.

We are just off the Star ... wondered if I would hear the NCL Farewell song ... something did feel different. I sense a break and a shift in the loyalty and trust that feels out of the control of most of the crew onboard ... businesses make changes to increase their profits. But when these changes are implemented in ways that totally disregard and alienate their loyal customer base, they will ultimately hurt the business sooner or later ... This is not the Norwegian Way.

If what we are witnessing and experiencing ... In a few years, we'll be reading case studies of NCL's management errors. Sad.

Know & understand what you are describing but the cyber-CC'ers who hasn't sailed on a NCL ship in the past month might not - an inner feeling harder for others to appreciate, no matter how many days they might've done onboard previously. We came back 10 days ago off the Breakaway and I shared those uncomfortable pulses - the synergy just wasn't there as they go thru the repetitive motions. Those friendly smiles (if any) were too artificial and the absent-minded attitude showed with the details overlooked. Reflected directly & indirectly, we ended up with comp'd sodas ordered for two nights instead of sipping our 'free' wines, took 3 bottles home (might soon be part of history ...)

We gave 3 crew members cash tips for their exceptional services that they deserved, not outstanding but above & beyond - the "reactions" from them was one of surprises, as if they never expected them or haven't gotten anything from pax lately, it wasn't that of showing gratitude as if they were embarassed to receive something extra from us. It's not the same NCL "family" of crew members that we've come across in nearly 15 years.

Even if they sang "We are the World" - it might not have registered with us, but we did watched the gallery crew dancing thru the MDR on the last 2 evenings ... but, it was just different, as if we're on the Fun Ship.

... reminded me of the demise of Continental Airlines albeit in a different way ... Effective Communication + Strong Public Relations takes the mystery out of what NCL is doing and why ...

From an investor's standpoint, I should be and happy to watch the rise of travel stocks when checking the portfolio's ROI for the quarters ending ... but, it's more than just that.

Spot on with CO, my days of living out of Armadillo garment bag & Coach carry-on duffle on those old lifetime RC Club tags are over on UA side - have flown them once since the merger after drastically cutting back before. Our choice for the business of flying have gone elsewhere, NCL could well be get fast tracked next with the trending.

... Communication; PR; loyalty and trust seem to be words that have dropped off NCL's lexicon at present. They have some work to do to repair the damage IMHO.

Agreed on what is dropping, not sure if their corner offices upstairs see the problems brewing, let alone wanted to understood and truely address the undertow.

The Marriott hotel group recently dropped a short-lived efforts to block guest's use of their own WiFi hotspots after facing uproars & FCC objections -very quickly, and, basically ... apologized to their core business, travelers mostly on corporate accounts - as they won't stand for paying the "nominal" fees to use slow internet.

Think about it this way if it doesn't stick maybe it'll make him rethink some of his ideas

Possibly. Maybe he at least learned the wrong way to implement a change. If he is half as arrogant as he came across in the interview I have my doubts.

I just heard an interview with The Cruise Guy and (for what it's worth) he doesn't think it will stick.

And what does the Cruise Guy think of the removal of the dinner show on the first night for those who paid for the UDP?

We paid for the UDP in February for a September sailing and don't plan to take no for an answer!

And what does the Cruise Guy think of the removal of the dinner show on the first night for those who paid for the UDP?

We paid for the UDP in February for a September sailing and don't plan to take no for an answer!

I'm not in your shoes but if i was and they refused to honor the free dinner show that was advertised I'd go to the dinner show anyway and then reduce the DSC by the amount the dinner show cost me. The DSC has unfortunately become the only way to force NCL to give us the products we have already paid for at the price we already paid.

Some of these post are making me think a bit about our last couple of NCL cruises.

I remember the days when you would see the stripes everywhere.

HD,F&B section managers would be out and about checking things, you could not go a day without seeing them all at least once in a service area.

Food places, all three meals no matter where you dined you would see a visit, chating with some of the passengers, bars in the evening, head waiter and bar manager were on walkabout.

These last couple much reduced visibility everywhere, on the last trip we saw the Captain more than the hotel seniors.

Anyone else get the feeeling that the old visibility model has been watered down?

Having said that on Oasis TA last year ALL the seniors went into hiding after the complaints started, some were never seen for the full cruise. the cruise director only did the "duties" never seen anywhere else on the ship.

I'm not in your shoes but if i was and they refused to honor the free dinner show that was advertised I'd go to the dinner show anyway and then reduce the DSC by the amount the dinner show cost me. The DSC has unfortunately become the only way to force NCL to give us the products we have already paid for at the price we already paid.

Great idea!

Does it matter if we have prepaid the DSC?

Some of these post are making me think a bit about our last couple of NCL cruises.

HD,F&B section managers would be out and about checking things, you could not go a day without seeing them all at least once in a service area.

Food places, all three meals no matter where you dined you would see a visit, chating with some of the passengers, bars in the evening, head waiter and bar manager were on walkabout.

These last couple much reduced visibility everywhere, on the last trip we saw the Captain more than the hotel seniors.

Anyone else get the feeeling that the old visibility model has been watered down?

Having said that on Oasis TA last year ALL the seniors went into hiding after the complaints started, some were never seen for the full cruise. the cruise director only did the "duties" never seen anywhere else on the ship.

I have no idea about your cruises, but the visibility and the willingness to talk with us has not wained in the least (from the senior HD staff). Granted I have not been aboard for the past 10 months (Dawn).

Why do people keep misquoting and misrepresenting...

Some people just can't read. :rolleyes:

You mean like you do in my thread about the DSC? You misrepresent the facts of the policy every time you pop up in there. Is it because you just can't read?

Posted by NCL.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Posted by NCL.

To provide our guests with more options as a part of their Freestyle Cruising experience, coffee and continental breakfast selections will not attract a convenience charge. Room service orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will also not incur a charge.

Wow... Where is this?

I too have noticed the decline in their visibility and interaction. I was hoping it just seemed that way because I have been sailing the Breakaway and attibuted it to size of the ship and the size of its passengers capacity that made it less intimate but deep down I felt it was something more!

Posted by NCL.

I predicted this waaayyyy back when. However, it has to be Haven and Suites. Some ships don't have Haven and both use Butlers.

Harriet

Posted by NCL.

What da what?? Hold on!!!

Has NCL had a change of heart??????where did they post this information so i can see with my own 2 eyes lol ???

What da what?? Hold on!!!

Has NCL had a change of heart??????where did they post this information so i can see with my own 2 eyes lol ???

NCL UK has issued this advice.

Thank you for your email.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

etc etc

We are now trying to ascertain if/when these charges will be rolled out across the fleet.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

Thank you for your email

Annie

PLEASE let it be so.

Just to state (and I apologize if this has already been mentioned - it is a long thread!) Room Service is still being advertised as Complimentary and Included in the Cruise price in the "World Brochure 2015/16" on the NCL UK website. That's just downright dishonest. Really regretting booking a cruise with NCL now.

Posted by NCL.

WOW !!!!!! :D Good news..

Now...all I need to know....just Haven..or all suites .:confused:

Thank you for your email.

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering an enhanced room service menu on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of $7.95 will be added to each order placed.

etc etc

We are now trying to ascertain if/when these charges will be rolled out across the fleet.

Annie

oh my so that have rethought it and made the change during the 'test'.....hmmmmmmm...so our voices (social media, emails, phone calls, letters) are heard...but still need to keep at them so they will drop that charge completely. But we are making headway...

thank you for the update!!!