Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I have sailed with CCL and found it to be an excellent choice when we did it. Wasn't disappointed in all and out of all the cruises I have done, it ranked as my second favorite cruise! I am cruising with them again in a week, then back to a booked NCL cruise in June. I'm looking to book for November...I may just switch to CCL if this upcoming cruise is as good as the last one.

We have also been looking at CCL for cruising. I've been reading their boards here. Please post how you liked or didn't like (ha!) your cruise. We are looking to book a Fall cruise with CCL to Mexican Riviera. If we like it, we will make a switch from NCL.

I've been getting disappointed with all of the new charges with NCL. So, we've been looking at other options.

While the communication of several of these changes have been awful, I'm fine with them because they mostly don't affect me (yet..there's still time before I cruise to add other charges). I have the UBP, I never eat in the specialty restaurants and I never order room service. Only affect is the $0.95 DSC increase which I can get over. I can definitely understand the frustration of the users of these services. So, unless they start charging for pool time, pool chairs and clean, filtered non smoke filled oxygen, I will be completely happy. I feel I got a great balcony price for a newer ship (Getaway) with the UBP and $100 OBC thrown in. All is good here :-)

Better check your math...while the DSC went from $12 to $12.95/$24.95 pp/pd, you have to remember that they also removed all of the Specialty Restaurant staff from the program which serves as a hidden increase since the fee now covers fewer people.

Hoping someone in a PH suite or Haven suite will jump in and let us know if this new charge applies there as well. I am going to be seriously not happy if I will be charged $7.95 each time my butler (who will be tipped separately and at the end of the cruise) brings me breakfast, lunch, etc. Does this $7.95 charge also apply if we are having specialty dinners delivered to our suite (since we are already paying the appropriate cover charge I would think not but who knows now!)?

Good question, I have not used room service for my last 2 NCL cruises as eating their limited menu in an inside or OV room just doesn't do it for me. However in a year and a half, we will be sailing our first SJ suite and was looking forward to a couple of room service meals from the extended menu in our suite. Will it be 7.95 (or even more since the butler serves it); plus speciality fee, plus 18%? What if we have the UDP? how will that effect our tipping of the butler in the end?

I am bummed as we will be Platinum after that cruise and most likely start looking back to Royal Carribean; at least what you see is what you get with them.

See no big deal,now everyone can stop crying

May I recommend looking for a thread you may find some relevance in? Some of us are apparently seeing a pattern develop under the new regime. DW and I often order room service for breakfast, especially on port days. This won't kill NCL as an option for our vacation dollar, but it will be added to the growing list of things to consider.

Edited by fishin' musician

And when they start charging extra for stewards to clean your cabin, I suppose you'll call that the "motivation to get off your lazy butt and scrub the toilet yourself" surcharge? :rolleyes:

Let's get real they're never going to charge extra for the stewards to clean your cabin lol. some people over exaggerate away too much. I've been reading the posts that say things like we like to order coffee with our room service, really people why would you want to sit in your room during a cruise? That just sounds idiotic to me, not calling anyone names just saying that's how it sounds. I've never cruised the other lines but I've heard of some of their entertainment options and trust me Norwegians is way better. I'm probably fatter than anyone else on this board yet still am NOT lazy enough to sit in my room and order room service. You are on a cruise to get out and have fun so do so. I promise the restaurant going experience is much more fun than sitting in your room and ordering room service.

i've been paid as a participant to do market research, this is a new one on me--being charged to be a guinea pig.

I will be paying the $7.95 per room service order as it is part of how we enjoy our cruise vacations. However, for the first time i will not purchase a future cruise credit. So to whomever is analyzing the success of this charge--please look at the ffc purchase rate to see how successful this experiment really is.

To all those who don't see what the "big deal" is: I have absolitely no faith at all that what i purchase will be what i receive. This last charge is the most egregious because they took something "included in my cruise fare" and put a charge on it. If they are willing to do this, than they can charge me for anything once aboard.

like :d

Better check your math...while the DSC went from $12 to $12.95/$24.95 pp/pd, you have to remember that they also removed all of the Specialty Restaurant staff from the program which serves as a hidden increase since the fee now covers fewer people.

I see what you are pointing out, but I went into the purchase of this cruise knowing I would have to pay $12 per day, now it's $0.95 per day more regardless of how it is split up. There are many items included in the fare price that I do not use whatsoever, so if removed, it is not a big deal to me. So, my actual out of pocket increase for this cruise based on the changes is $13.30 regardless of if they took the specialty servers out of the DSC.

Let's get real they're never going to charge extra for the stewards to clean your cabin lol. some people over exaggerate away too much. I've been reading the posts that say things like we like to order coffee with our room service, really people why would you want to sit in your room during a cruise? That just sounds idiotic to me, not calling anyone names just saying that's how it sounds. I've never cruised the other lines but I've heard of some of their entertainment options and trust me Norwegians is way better. I'm probably fatter than anyone else on this board yet still am NOT lazy enough to sit in my room and order room service. You are on a cruise to get out and have fun so do so. I promise the restaurant going experience is much more fun than sitting in your room and ordering room service.

Now if they charged you to peep on women up on deck...that would upset you.

I have sailed with CCL and found it to be an excellent choice when we did it. Wasn't disappointed in all and out of all the cruises I have done, it ranked as my second favorite cruise! I am cruising with them again in a week, then back to a booked NCL cruise in June. I'm looking to book for November...I may just switch to CCL if this upcoming cruise is as good as the last one.

We have also been looking at CCL for cruising. I've been reading their boards here. Please post how you liked or didn't like (ha!) your cruise. We are looking to book a Fall cruise with CCL to Mexican Riviera. If we like it, we will make a switch from NCL.

I've been getting disappointed with all of the new charges with NCL. So, we've been looking at other options.

Honestly, if I had listened to everyone that told me how disappointed I would be with Carnival, I would have never got to have the experience we did. It was one of the best. Yes, there's some differences, but nothing that made too much difference to us. For the most part, they are more alike than difference IMO. I did do a review of our first cruise (Dream), it's in my signature line. Tons of pictures and (my) point of view along with comparisons along the way if you are interested. You better believe I will do a big review of our upcoming second cruise with them when I return (which you will also find in my signature line when I start it).

I originally thought about changing lines when I got so tired of doing the same old routes with NCL in the Caribbean over and over. I needed something new. These days, I'm thinking I may need more of a change for other reasons with all the new implemented changes with NCL after Kevin's departure. :(

FWIW--we have sailed with NCL more than any other cruise line -- so far-- and currently have a cruise booked for April, 2016.

Made a call a few minutes ago to NCL and was told the $7.95 Room Service Charge is, at this moment, a "Test Program" on the Breakaway and Getaway, ONLY (remember I said, at this moment...:rolleyes:). The NCL phone rep. said this applies to the Extended Menu Items. I also asked her, if you wanted to order room service between 12 midnight and 5 AM, would both the regular charge for those hrs. AND the new $7.95 charge apply, and she stated that is how she understands it (in other words, "Yes"). She also acknowledged she didn't think the website had been updated yet.

One other question I asked: "since we are platinum now and one of our perks is dinner in LeBistro, do we get hit with the extra 18% grat.?", she answered "No" to that one...

Don't know if this will be enough for us to cancel our cruise next year, but if this trend continues--could be the end of our cruising with NCL.

Hey guys, NCL replied to a comment on their FB Page:

944641_10152047913186414_470239810_n.jpg?oh=6c420eff51966b2593213595fcb59bb5&oe=559FE0B7&__gda__=1436950582_26c21db1baa1c2fe11f66dcc078741cc

Remove

Norwegian Cruise Line Hi Geri, we have introduced a new enhanced room service menu which is being tested on board Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Breakaway. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast in addition to a wider variety of options available on the 24 hour menu. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge will be added to each order placed. As we test and refine this new room service menu the convenience charge will be $7.95 on Norwegian Breakaway and $4.95 on board Norwegian Getaway. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day. During the test room service across the balance of the fleet remains unchanged.

So there are still complementary options available for room service?

I just spoke with the travel agency supervisor at NCL and she categorically denied any new charges for room service. She said that no one there had even heard of this charge being levied on BA or any other ship. So, perhaps it is an April Fools joke after all.

I did ask her if I could reference her if they did charge and she said she would sand by hte info provided.

Am I the only one here that does not see this as a big deal? I never use room service. And if I want to, so what?? I'll pay for it. No different than DW and I always eating at the specialty restaurants every cruise and avoiding the MDR and buffet.

No, I said about the same thing, but I would say it is going a little too far. I mentioned this earlier this morning and got royally challenged!!! We do not use room service either, and no, I would not want to pay almost $8.00 just to have someone bring me a cup of coffee, but I also think, we do have choices. If we don't like them, don't take part in them. It is like the 18% gratuity in the specialty dining rooms. Does it upset me? Yes, is it a major issue? Of course not. After I calmed down about the extra charge I started figuring out how much the 18% really is costing: for those of us who leave a tip at specialty dining rooms, there isn't a whole lot of difference between what we leave and 18%.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Honestly, if I had listened to everyone that told me how disappointed I would be with Carnival, I would have never got to have the experience we did. It was one of the best. Yes, there's some differences, but nothing that made too much difference to us. For the most part, they are more alike than difference IMO. I did do a review of our first cruise (Dream), it's in my signature line. Tons of pictures and (my) point of view along with comparisons along the way if you are interested. You better believe I will do a big review of our upcoming second cruise with them when I return (which you will also find in my signature line when I start it).

I originally thought about changing lines when I got so tired of doing the same old routes with NCL in the Caribbean over and over. I needed something new. These days, I'm thinking I may need more of a change for other reasons with all the new implemented changes with NCL after Kevin's departure. :(

I don't think I could ever cruise with carnival, I like the idea of eating dinner when I damn well please and not when the line tells me I should or can.

And when they start charging extra for stewards to clean your cabin, I suppose you'll call that the "motivation to get off your lazy butt and scrub the toilet yourself" surcharge? :rolleyes:

I thought they already did that with $.95-2.95 increase? I mean, unless of course, you want NCL to charge that separately - I sure that will make the complainers even more 'happier'....[emoji57]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I thought they already did that with $.95-2.95 increase? I mean, unless of course, you want NCL to charge that separately - I sure that will make the complainers even more 'happier'....[emoji57]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Lol awesome post

Gotta love the "doesn't affect me, so I don't care" posts. What a nice bunch!

I said it doesn't affect me personally, so I don't have to worry about it. If I cared about all the issues that affect other people, I'd be a pretty depressed person. While I understand how frustrated all the affected people are, it doesn't affect me so I'm not bothered. I'm confident that me caring about if it affects someone else other than myself will have no bearing on the results or outcome.

Many people like to enjoy their morning coffee and danish right after waking up and room service was a great way to do that (and when one is on vacation what's wrong with lazing around a little in the room). Just because it isn't a big deal for you doesn't mean that you can dictate how others feel about it- different strokes for different folks.

I don't think I could ever cruise with carnival, I like the idea of eating dinner when I damn well please and not when the line tells me I should or can.

Since CCL has adopted your time dining (as have many of the others) you can certainly eat when you darn well please.

Why is it $7.95 for Breakaway and $4.95 for getaway and zero for other ships. BS on this. I didn't say a word when they raised the DSC charge I thought it was ridiculous about the specialty 18% charge but this is going way to far

Maybe it is to discourage room service. As I said earlier we tried twice to get a pizza but could not get through to them. After several minutes on hold we were switched to customer service then put on hold again. Guess it's a good thing we did not if it was that bad.

Yes, but wait 'til you hear them squeal when it IS something that DOES affect them.

We never use Room Service on NCL...way too limited menu in all cases...so it doesn't affect us. But, anyone who is naive enough to think that it will stop there is living in a dream world.

It is the way of the cruising world. Cut, raise, rinse, repeat. Keep doing it until the on=board spending drops below the revenue generated by the increases (and the savings from the cuts). After 60+ cruises (and 11 booked) this lamb is about ready to cease being sheared.

Unfortunately, since cruising is so "trendy" currently (especially in suites) they will have a line of newbies ready to spend stupid money and get less value, and think they are winning.

hey I am cruising with you on the 3 day escape, you are an awesome poster. But as I was saying this is just motivation to get up and get it yourself. nobody goes on a cruise to just sit in your room. when I first started cruising I didn't even understand why have room service when the whole point of the cruise is to be out of your room. For the people who bring their kids just stop bringing your kids. if you get a babysitter I promise you and your husband will have much much more fun.