How not to clean a cruise ship - NORWEGIAN EPIC!

eroller

I wonder if the recent layoffs impacted their ability to answer his email.
He sailed February 8, so if he sent his e-mail right after the cruise, they had well over a month to get back to him. I don't know who he actually sent the e-mail to, though.

He sailed February 8, so if he sent his e-mail right after the cruise, they had well over a month to get back to him. I don't know who he actually sent the e-mail to, though.

Oh, I didn't realize how long he went without getting a response.

He still never stated if the room was cleaned properly and the bedding changed after the complaint..

I have to believe it was or he would have been at the desk complaining every day, or demanding another cabin, I know I would...

There is no excuse for a room to be that dirty, however if the NCL staff did address the issues which I believe they did after his initial complaint I don't see what the big deal is ....

A dirty room can be cleaned and a Apology and several Freebees were offered for the mistake...Nobody died and they still had a good time...so what more should NCL do?

Two many unanswered questions yet....

Now if nothing was done and the room remained dirty I will retract any thing I wrote, but it doesn't sound like NCL ingnored their complaint, just their Email.

Edited by warriorking

He still never stated if the room was cleaned properly and the bedding changed after the complaint..
The poem says that the cleaning staff came and looked around but the passengers cleaned the room themselves. :confused: They must have brought some mold remover from home just in case. :D

Two many unanswered questions yet...

I guess the best place to ask them would be in the comments of the YouTube video.

The poem says that the cleaning staff came and looked around but the passengers cleaned the room themselves. :confused: They must have brought some mold remover from home just in case. :D

Unless their like me, who brings their own Clorox wipes to wipe down the phone - How did they buy the mold remover? Because that shower look like it needed the industrial strength one that's at Home deport, Loews or any good hardware store.....

Edited by maywell

Attitude has nothing to do with stained blankets, moldy walls, broken lamps, and hair all over.

Precisely. The gentleman in the video was clearly determined to have a good cruise in spite of deplorable dirty conditions. How ironic that the washy washy happy happy cleaners never found his cabin.

Somebody posted the video to NCL's FB page in the comments section. NCL responded and said that they did contact the person in the video but he still released the video. Who knows but i'm sure the video will be taken down. NCL is deleting a lot of the comments about charging for room service.

That room is a disgrace, and it's shocking that NCL didn't respond to his email... i'm beginning to think I made a mistake booking the Epic.

It's a disgrace and shocking that this wasn't addressed while the passenger was onboard (not sure if the passenger broached the subject onboard or not). I would not have left the ship without management knowing immediately that there was an issue and had they not addressed it than the service charge would have been adjusted. Fortunately we've never faced this issue onboard.

Whether or not that it was cleaned after complaining does not matter. It was like that when they came on board or he is a convincing liar. I choose to believe he is an honest person on the room comments and NCL fell flat on their face. Mr new CEO, spend less time on increasing your bottom line and more time on what the previous CEO'S have done in the past to make your cruise line what it was, before you. I hope NCL'S newest CEO did not charge him for any of the cleaning he did as had to use extra water. I hope he refuses to take down the video, NCL will and should throw him a lot of money, and NCL would add on a blackmail charge in addition to all the new fees of convenience!

This rather clever YouTube video/poem was recently posted by a past NORWEGIAN EPIC passenger who sailed in February. He was not happy about the cleanliness of his cabin, wrote NCL, and never heard back. So he took matters into his own hands and created this poem/video. It's pretty well done actually, and I have to admit some of the cabin conditions are unacceptable.

I have to wonder if having the shower/toilet arrangement in the cabin and not in a separate bathroom is creating extra mold issues on EPIC? This is not the first I've read of mold issues on EPIC.

Seems like NCL is getting a LOT of bad publicity as of late. Not a great start for the new management team it would seem.

Enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isL8_zyIkwg&spfreload=10

Actually NCL responded to every email form this person.

The cabin in that video was, in my opinion, uninhabitable. If I ever walked into a cabin on a ship and found it in that condition I would quickly take pictures and then park myself in the doorway of the Hotel Director's office until things had been taken care of to my satisfaction. That would either entail a thorough scrubbing of every hard surface and replacement of all bed and bath linens OR a cabin change.

I don't blame the guy for taking to social media when NCL didn't respond to his letter and pictures. I know the cruise lines get a lot of whiny mail looking for compensation for small things, but they need to have a system to quickly respond to legitimate complaints and concerns. This seems to be a problems in the entire mass market cruise segment...not just NCL.

One thing the video does not say but probably happened was NCL staff cleaning the room. I am not making an excuse for NCL. The room speaks for itself and shows how out of the loop the Hotel Director is. No one from management ever does spot inspections or checks in on rooms? Major failure of Hotel Management on the Epic. This may not be "typical" but I am sure there are other rooms that are similar but some people don't complain at all since they stay such a short stay.

No excuse for that kind of black mold in a cabin.

We were just on Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas last month. I saw a supervisor on our deck several times, peeking in cabins and inspecting the job the stewards were doing. The practice isn't isolated to RCI...I've seen them on other lines too. Does NCL not do that?

Edited by Cindy

Hkw do you know NCL responded to every e-mail???

I'm actually starting to wonder, given the extreme cheerleading and defense of NCL for some pretty indefensible positions, if NCL doesn't have some paid shills/employees posting pretending to be regular cruisers. Maybe he knows because he works for them?

Edited by shapatack0

I'm actually starting to wonder, given the extreme cheerleading and defense of NCL for some pretty indefensible positions, if NCL doesn't have some paid shills/employees posting pretending to be regular cruisers.
Different people can have wildly different ways of seeing things. It seems very unlikely to me that people who disagree with you have all been paid off by NCL. It is much more likely that we are simply morons, and we are working for NCL for free. :D

I'm actually starting to wonder, given the extreme cheerleading and defense of NCL for some pretty indefensible positions, if NCL doesn't have some paid shills/employees posting pretending to be regular cruisers. Maybe he knows because he works for them?

Hahaha. I am seeing a lot of pom poms and rose colored glasses.

Different people can have wildly different ways of seeing things. It seems very unlikely to me that people who disagree with you have all been paid off by NCL. It is much more likely that we are simply morons, and we are working for NCL for free. :D

How is asking how ANYONE would know that NCL answered every e-mail to this guy that made the video be turned into that a poster doesn't like it when someone disagrees with them? There is no disagreement. More than just me would like to know how anyone can make such a statement.

We were just on Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas last month. I saw a supervisor on our deck several times, peeking in cabins and inspecting the job the stewards were doing. The practice isn't isolated to RCI...I've seen them on other lines too. Does NCL not do that?

Honestly, it's a complete crapshoot and can happen on any line. The most disgusting cabin I ever had was on RCI's Voyager several years ago. There were huge streaks of mold in the bathroom. The curtains, linens, and carpeting had brown stains. The balcony's rubber decking was falling off in chunks and I got splinters from the worn, unvarnished handrails. It took several days of complaining, but they eventually sent a team to scrub away the mold in the bathroom and replace our linens, but nothing was done about the carpeting, curtains, or balcony. I guess it was better than nothing, but RCI has never really impressed me in terms of cleanliness or service. Perhaps others have had better luck.

Even supposedly premium/luxury lines can fall behind with cleaning and maintenance. I was onboard Cunard's Queen Mary 2 when she failed the CDC inspection in New York several years ago. One of the items that led to her failing score were pool violations, and I actually saw it in person. The spa was absolutely disgusting. There was mold everywhere in the changing areas and hydrotherapy pool. A few months ago I got off Celebrity Reflection, and there was also some mold growing in the spa onboard. It was taken care of after I mentioned it to the staff, but it's still disturbing.

Edited by barnacle_boy