what's everyone reading?

nhsails

Linda Castillo's series of mysteries set in Amish country of Ohio. Very well-written. First book in the series is Sworn to Silence. Highly recommend.

I'm also a fan of Tana French's Dublin murder squad series and Linda Fairstein's Manhattan Sex Crimes Unit mysteries.

If you're into lighter fare, I just finished Elin Hildebrand's The Castaways. Classic beach reading.

I enjoy James A. Michener. I'm reading his novel Hawaii. When I finish it, I'm planning to read his novel called Alaska.

I have all of his books! I've read each one three or four times over the past, probably, 25-30 years. My first book of his was The Covenant., and I was hooked.

I have all of his books! I've read each one three or four times over the past, probably, 25-30 years. My first book of his was The Covenant., and I was hooked.

I love his style! I have most but not all of his work. I enjoy looking for them at flea markets, second-hand stores, etc. It's amazing how he weaves fact with fiction so effortlessly. :)

Right now, I'm into easy reads that I can sneak a few minutes in here and there at work. Reading the John Sanford "Prey" books. But, I can't get Mark Harmon out of my brain as Lucas Davenport ;)

I also have "Wild" sitting on the Kindle for my vacation, along with "The Girl on the Train."

If you were a fan of "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series of novels, take a look into the "Department Q" novels by Jussi Adler-Olsen. A Danish writer, and they are good crime mysteries.

If you are into something more "highbrow" - any English translation of books and short stories by Gabriel Garcia *******. From "One Hundred Years of Solitude" to "Love in the Time of Cholera" to collections of short stories - great reads.

I love Ken Follett's medieval books, Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, and I have one set one of his books aside for our next cruise -- I forget the title. Giants of the Earth? However, Ken goes for some pretty complicated plotlines, and if you're looking for something light and quick to read by the pool, he's not your choice.

I know Game of Thrones is pretty hot right now, so if you're a reader, likely you've either read it or rejected it as "not my style". I LOVED it and highly recommend it, though -- again -- complicated plot, not light beach reading. But so, so addicting.

I read teen novels together with my daughter -- we thoroughly enjoy discussing them together. I have recently enjoyed Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series (City of Bones, etc., which has been made into a movie recently), but I liked her Clockwork series much better. Mortal Instruments seemed to be dragged out into 5-6 books, when the plotline could've fit into 3 books; however, the world seems to disagree with me.

In contrast, I didn't 'speciallly enjoy sharing Divergence with my daughter - but she loved it. Ditto for Matched and Withered.

Another book my daughter and I loved together was Graceling. We liked but didn't love the follow up _______ (can't remember) and BitterBlue. We agreed that the subsequent novels had too little Po. Yes, he was a character with whom we both fell in love.

And we loved the Inheritance series (first one called Eregon). If you saw the movie, don't judge by that -- it was a major stinker.

If you're into mysteries and medieval, I recently enjoyed the first book of the Matthew Shardlake series. He's a medieval hunchback who works for the church solving mysteries. Okay, that didn't sound particularly good, but I did enjoy the novel and will probably read more later.

Again, if you're a reader, you've probably already read Outlander. Loved it. Didn't so much love the spin-off Lord John books.

If you like romance, I thoroughly enjoyed Karen Marie Moning's Fever series.

And if you're into classics, you're probably excited about the upcoming release of Harper Lee's To Set a Watchman, which is supposed to be the original version of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Linda Castillo's series of mysteries set in Amish country of Ohio. Very well-written. First book in the series is Sworn to Silence. Highly recommend.

I'm also a fan of Tana French's Dublin murder squad series and Linda Fairstein's Manhattan Sex Crimes Unit mysteries.

If you're into lighter fare, I just finished Elin Hildebrand's The Castaways. Classic beach reading.

I love Linda Castillo Amish mysteries.

Laura

I heard the NPR piece and thought it would be a good read. It is.

I just finished Patrick Di Justo's "This is What You Just Put in Your Mouth?" about what is really in popular foods and household products. Careful research and a funny writing style made this book a real treat.

NPR is my go-to source for good, intelligent reads. http://www.npr.org/books

Edited by Bookish Angel

I like literature and well written Gothic style mystery.....Ruth rendell is my favorite....she also writes as barbara vine....my husband and I love the Lee Child .reacher series....jack reacher is a terrific character....nothing like the awful Tom cruise movie....cruise so not the right person to portray this smart and funny character...think there are 17 so far ....they do not need to be read in order to enjoy...

I vote for Iberia, made me visit Spain. But it started Mexico and can't get into it. Any fan of Mexico?

[I didn't have any trouble with it.

I have also liked the Jack Reacher books. Who would you have liked to see play Jack Reacher? Maybe Renner? Can't think of his first name off the top of my head. He played the lead in the latest Jason Bourne movie.

Edited by Treven

I love to read fiction (sometimes non-fiction) set in the locations I am going to see, so before leaving, I visit my local used book store, where the clerks are well-informed about the books available. They direct me to the books that are appropriate.

In this way, I have read "Alaska" while on our Alaskan cruise, several set in Rome and Florence, and that great book about the building of the Panama Canal--"Path Betweeen the Seas". Will be looking for "Iberia" for the next one. And, I cannot wait to be reading "Tales of the South Pacific" some day!

Another thing I enjoy is re-visiting old movies set in these locations."April in Paris," "Roman Holiday," "Zorba the Greek." Fun--and gets us even more excited!

Another thing I enjoy is re-visiting old movies set in these locations."April in Paris," "Roman Holiday," "Zorba the Greek." Fun--and gets us even more excited!

Old movies along with books either fiction or non-fiction is a great way to stoke the anticipation.

If going to Hawaii, read the novel "Hawaii" and then watch the old movie called "Hawaii" starring Julie Andrews in a non-singing role. Great stuff even though it's mostly fiction.

Edited by JimAOk1945