Princess pricing/marketing strategy

jimmieg

I am wondering, since there are a very limited number of handicap cabins inside, what are the chances of an upgrade. My thought is there are probably people waiting for an HC inside to become available. If there are other categories open would princess upgrade some so they can resell.

[quote name='Nan_Sea']I am wondering, since there are a very limited number of handicap cabins inside, what are the chances of an upgrade. My thought is there are probably people waiting for an HC inside to become available. If there are other categories open would princess upgrade some so they can resell.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that if you do not need an HC and they have someone that does they can move you out of the HC without upgrading. If you do need it then the odds of an upgrade are low since there are very few higher grade HC cabins and they tend to go early.

[quote name='Iamcruzin'][quote name='RocketMan275']If by "researched" you're saying you've checked their websites for prices, then I'm not surprised that you've not found any great reductions. Princess allows TA to discount their fares but they cannot advertise, ie, list the reduced fares on their website. You have to call or email and ask for a 'quote'. Typically, I can find a minimum of a 10% discount and maybe some OBC from the right TA. If a TA refuses to discount, thank them for their time and check with another TA. Just keep checking till you find a TA who does discount. A[B]lso depends upon the room you're booking. $50 isn't too bad a discount for an interior room as that could be a pretty good percentage of the total fare. Several hundred dollar discounts only come with suites.[[/B]/QUOTE]

Thank you for pointing that out. So many times someone will post how they saved $2000 by booking with a TA. They always fail to mention the length of the cruise or the room category. I'm sure there are large saving to be had if you are booking a 30day itinerary in a suite.[/QUOTE]

True, if you want big dollar discounts, you need to book big dollar cruises. It pretty much comes down to a percentage of the fare. One agent I know offers about an 8% discount. Another offers 10%. I know before I call what they will offer. Sometimes they will 'price match'. It all depends.

[quote name='iceleven']This November I have a cruise booked in a cabin category where there are only 6 on the entire ship. All of these cabins are booked. What are the chances of a ship-wide price drop and me getting one? There are no other cabins available in that category and I am unwilling to cancel and rebook just to get a standard balcony. So my question is, if your cabin category is fully booked, are there price drops for them anyway or only for the cabin category that remains with unbooked cabins?[/QUOTE]

Our Canal cruise has been sold out for over for more then a year.
Why would there be any incentive for Princess to reduce prices on any cabin cat that's sold out? I would love it but its not going to happen. :(

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']Our Canal cruise has been sold out for over for more then a year.
Why would there be any incentive for Princess to reduce prices on any cabin cat that's sold out? I would love it but its not going to happen. :([/quote]

You're a smart lady, this is my situation. I booked a window cabin, category O3 on the Lido deck of the Grand Princess. It's a pricey cabin (over $2,000 per person) for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. These cabins are unique in that they have floor to ceiling windows in lieu of a balcony. I decided that with 11 sea days crossing the Pacific we would rarely use the balcony. Been there--done that. The weather is just too iffy. Our cabin location will get us outside in under 30 seconds.

There are lots of balconies and mini-suites still available and I suspect there will be a sale, closer to sail date, to fill them up and/or upsell folks from window cabins. But, because we have a cabin in a very limited category (only 6 on the ship) I now have no chance in hell ever getting a price reduction if/when there is another sale. This is something I never considered (my ignorance) nor did my TA mention. I actually don't want to upgrade to a balcony or mini as I don't want a balcony for this particular cruise. I wouldn't mind a window suite, though.;)

I'm hoping that my TA pads our booking with some OBC before we set sail or I'm going to be looking for another agent.

But, Iceleven, you got the cat and cabin you wanted. Be happy. Dont make yourself nuts. If you are now having buyers remorse, cancel and book something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

[quote name='iceleven']I'm hoping that my TA pads our booking with some OBC before we set sail or I'm going to be looking for another agent.[/QUOTE]

If every other category on the ship goes on sale, and your TA would happily secure any other available cabin for you before final payment, but your chosen category remains the same price (as it very well may), why would you be upset with your TA? If he/she does cough up some more OBC, it will be out of their commission. Why should your TA be penalized because you wanted a specific type of cabin for this specific itinerary and booked it at a price you were happy with? You said you don't want a balcony cabin...seems like you got exactly the cabin type you want in a perfect location. Why the buyers remorse? Why be upset with your TA?

I agree with jimmieg...if you are not going to be happy with the price you're paying in the event other category prices do drop, cancel now.

[quote name='RDC1']Keep in mind that if you do not need an HC and they have someone that does they can move you out of the HC without upgrading. If you do need it then the odds of an upgrade are low since there are very few higher grade HC cabins and they tend to go early.[/quote]

Princess has no way of knowing someone who booked a HC cabin does not really need one.

Everyone who books a HC cabin must state they need it and Princess cannot ask for medical proof.

[quote name='iceleven']...because we have a cabin in a very limited category (only 6 on the ship) I now have no chance in hell ever getting a price reduction if/when there is another sale...[/QUOTE]

There is always a chance your category will open up during a sale if occupants in any of the other five cabins should cancel, be upgraded or upsold. So keep an eye open just in case. I have also read of pax in OV cabins being offered upsells to Window Suites, so there is always that possibility as well.

[quote name='caribill']Princess has no way of knowing someone who booked a HC cabin does not really need one.

Everyone who books a HC cabin must state they need it and Princess cannot ask for medical proof.[/QUOTE]

Which is my point, if you say you need it, then they would only upgrade to another HC, which tend to sell out early.