Princess pricing/marketing strategy

jimmieg

Caribill wrote:

"Every time I have checked pricing on Princess, NCL, RCI and Carnival I find that Princess has the lowest pricing. Following is without any past passenger pricing or TA discount pricing for a 7-day cruise in November, 2015 over Thanksgiving.

Princess balcony $799. -24% (50 obc)

NCL balcony $1099. -55% (50 obc/choice of drinks, tips, dining pkg)

RCI balcony $1235. -49% (50 obc)

CCL balcony $979" -55% (no obc mentioned)

Of course, of these four cruise lines, only Princess allows TAs to give a discount.[/QUOT

Caribill - perhaps your comparison answers my question. I've added discount % off brochure (MSRP?) and perks for balcony cabins this date

Discount is less with Princess but fare is still best. I'll hang on to my spreadsheet. Maybe I just got a little excited over Celebrity's recent marketing. YMMV

I've had pretty limited cruising experience (7 cruises), but my perception is that Princess has consistently lowered fares for every one that I've been on. Our TA has indicated that is what Princess does and some other line didn't reduce fares until after full payment. And since we had reasons to want to be on one of these two, we just recently decided to stick with Princess, though the current fare is like $100 more. So yeah, we're just about expecting a fare reduction. Maybe we've just been lucky, but on EVERY Princess cruise, we had indeed seen significant fare reductions before that full payment date - even for our Panama and Alaska itineraries.

I don't understand this, since if that is indeed the strategy for Princess, they may be losing out those low fare seekers- when in fact, by cruise time, Princess may have the lowest fare. I know when we booked our first cruises (HS grad trips for out kids) we just looked at fares and more or less, similar itineraries. I had no idea how or if fares would change before we made our final payments. Again, maybe we're just lucky, but I admit, this experience is one reason for us to look at Princess for every cruise we take... though we may still try others- especially if others joining us have a strong desire for another line.

We are seeing this high pricing more and more. Come on Princess!!

We may have to start looking elsewhere too. :(

West Coast departures seem much higher than last year at this time, when fuel was cheaper. I was planning to do a B2B coastal, but am currently booked on just one segment unless prices come down. I am paying more for an inside this year than I paid for a balcony last year for the same itinerary. I'm hoping that means food quality and service levels have improved :rolleyes:.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

My comment was for the cruise lines such as RCI and Celebrity which prefer not to change pricing, but just adjust amenities. For those lines, there would be no lower price to refare to.

Princess, as you experienced, is using a different pricing strategy and you were able to refare.

I received a price adjustment for my Celebrity cruise when they were running a spring sale. I already booked with an all inclusive package and received an additional $200 discount during the sale period. Frankly I'm surprised I qualified because Celebrity usually doesn't let you combine 2 promotions. The website was so ambiguous that it made it appear that you could only get the $300 OBC and the sale price. To my surprise it was confirmed that I would also receive the drink package and paid gratuities all of which have value to me because we would have purchased the drink package and paid the gratuities anyway.

I haven't cruised Princess for several years, but I have booked an upcoming Baltic cruise on the Regal. I have noticed a change in the way Princess is running so-called sales. As always, I carefully follow the pricing to look for reductions prior to final payment. In the past this saved me a lot of money over the price originally booked. Since booking this cruise, Princess has had two "sales." Both times, the website was changed to show "sale" in red. Both times there has been no reduction in price. In fact, both times Princess removed the $200 OBC per passenger and substituted reduced 3rd and 4th passenger rates. The OBC is probably a better deal for most people booking this cruise. Overall, I still think the rates are fair, I just find it interesting that Princess announces a sale and then keeps the fares the same. And yes, all the cabin categories remain unchanged.

We booked a Baltic cruise with Princess early March and paid in full when the final,payment came due. I followed the pricing daily and continued to even after final payment. Last night I found the price has dropped considerably so we called Princess today to see what they would do. Their answer was an upgrade or OBC no where near the reduced fare. We opted to cancel and re-book and still saved over $600.00. It pays to keep checking fares.

You can watch pricing all you want but if you request a quote from a TA who books a high volume of Princess cruises, you can save 10-20% plus OBC and perks. TAs are not allowed to advertise or promote discounted fares so if you're looking at just the Princess website, you're comparing apples to oranges.

As another posted stated, I have never found these TA deals. I've researched, what I believe, are all the major online agencies. I've found savings of maybe $50 per person. However, they do offer OBCs that may make it worth using them.

As another posted stated, I have never found these TA deals. I've researched, what I believe, are all the major online agencies. I've found savings of maybe $50 per person. However, they do offer OBCs that may make it worth using them.

That's the story of my life as well. I base it on the fact that we don't sail long or exotic itineraries or book suites. There is just so much commission that they can give away on a 7 day Caribbean cruise. To me $50 or a bottle of wine isn't worth giving up being able to speak directly with the cruise line. Had I transferred my Celebrity booking to a TA I wouldn't have been able to get the price adjustment a 12:20 am. I would have been tossing a turning all night waiting for an email reply from a TA.

I too find a disadvantage in TA booking in that I'm at their mercy in communication. However, I have found Princess happy to adjust when I find a deal elsewhere. Some agencies have a cancellation fee which I want to avoid if booking several months in advance.

Have not found a local TA that could match big online agencies. And I hate to say "sorry" after a local TA has done the research.

I have found the "comparison of a cruise" site helpful in comparing the price "at the moment."

So, I would need further convincing that a local TA has secret discounts of 20% on Princess. But, my wife reminds me I gave been wrong before. :>》

I always check pricing for balcony cabins and itinerary against the competition. So far, our cruises to Alaska have had the best deals with Princess for the dates we wanted.

I think it pays to watch pricing even after you have booked a cruise. It really can save you some money "IF" the pricing is lowered and is not for "new bookings only". We save major $$$ on a cruise to Alaska by keeping track of the rates before final payment due date.

What is the best way to keep track of rates? We have booked a September 2016 cruise to alaska with a balcony room. I'm hoping for lower prices ar some point.

To OP-Interesting question, and funny you should ask because I just came up against the same dilemma. Last year I booked an 11-day Baltic Cruise leaving Copenhagen on June 15th of this year. I booked an interior at $1999 pp, and received $300 OBC. As final payment due date approached the price remained firmly at $1999, and even went up to $2449 pp at one point. I began looking around. Holland America was offering a 12-day Baltic cruise leaving Copenhagen on June 13th, and an interior was $1399 pp with $200 OBC. The itineraries are very similar, the only real difference is Princess went to Oslo, and HAL does not, and HAL offered an Overnight in Stockholm and Copenhagen. I love Princess, but I jumped ship. Just last Thursday HAL started running a new promo, and the price for an interior had fallen to $1199. I couldn't take advantage of that because I was past final payment due date, but I did call to see about getting a move over to an Ocean View as the price for that dropped as well. Well I got even better. For an additional fee, but less than published, I have a signature suite. My suite is actually costing me $100 less than the price of an interior on Princess, and I get an extra day.

I agree. I look at prices on Princess' website and then check with my TA. Even with the TA discount it seems like Princess is really starting cruises out with a very high fare. Yes, if you want to wait until a few months before, you may get a great fare. I could be wrong but it seems to me that Princess rates on the cruises I look at (Mexico, Pacific Coastal, and Caribbean) are very high to start out.

That was my experience as well which is one of the reasons I chose Celebrity.

What is the best way to keep track of rates? We have booked a September 2016 cruise to alaska with a balcony room. I'm hoping for lower prices ar some point.

Go to the Princess web site,sign in so you see your past passenger rates, select your cruise to price and see the current rates.

[quote name='jimmieg']
So, I would need further convincing that a local TA has secret discounts of 20% on Princess. But, my wife reminds me I gave been wrong before. :>》[/quote]

It may not be a local TA you should be looking for.

I use two discount TAs and neither is local or has a big web presence.

[quote name='Iamcruzin']That's the story of my life as well. I base it on the fact that we don't sail long or exotic itineraries or book suites. There is just so much commission that they can give away on a 7 day Caribbean cruise. To me $50 or a bottle of wine isn't worth giving up being able to speak directly with the cruise line. Had I transferred my Celebrity booking to a TA I wouldn't have been able to get the price adjustment a 12:20 am. I would have been tossing a turning all night waiting for an email reply from a TA.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have to take short (7 days or less) cruises these days for both family and work reasons. I have checked around, and found discounts in the $25 to $50 pp range. I'm told these cruises, unless in a suite, have very little commissionable fare. My longtime TA no longer discounts or gives OBC at all, so I just book direct.

When the day comes that I can take longer cruises again, I will shop around.

I always use *************.com to check out TA prices. And since I inherited some RCI timeshare weeks, I can sometimes bank my weeks for discounts through RCI travel agency. And then ********** gives me the best deals by price by cruise. So with all those options I end up with Carnival and Princess for itineraries that make me happy. And yes, I own 100 shares of CCL in my IRA to get the OBC.
I book about a year in advance and check prices frequently, rebooking if I need to to get a price drop.
I enjoy the perks with Carnival and Princess. But it is the itineraries and prices and service that keep me loyal to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I you look at the other lines, you'll see...... gratuities now at 18%
much higher drink prices even the drink pkg are higher than Princess.
Charges for room service.
More user pay places to eat.
I'm still thinking that Princess is a better deal and a very consistent line.:)

RCI and celebrity have been selling cheap through GTY rates they don't get the perks and stop people getting price drops unless the booked the GTY.

All lines have been holding up prices, Princes cracked on ex UK in the UK market and dropped some deals out last week, still higher than last years lows but moving in the right direction.

Must check out these HAL prices.

For us in the UK sailing europe Costa and MSC are dirt cheap and we have cheap air to the embarkation ports.

For us booking in the UK Princess have come out the most reasonable for me on Aug cruises, I've been comparing RCCI, Celebrity and Princess on as near as you can get cruises.
RCCI & Celebrity are offering these all in drinks packages which are great if just 2 travelling both drink(wine or beer) and you don't have teens, I prefer to pay a lower fare and pay for my drinks when I want them.

I have managed getting my cruise down from Princess online from £5897 to £4255 using vivavoyage.co.uk totally chuffed :)

We always take into consideration all of the combinable perks on Princess. It is especially impressive on the longer cruises. $250 shareholder, $250 military, $250 fcc, $50 Princess incentive (over 30 cruises) and whatever our travel agent gives us plus our bar set up, free laundry, free internet. Added together this usually beats out a lower price on another line.
This said, we sail Celebrity every year for the 1,2,3 promo. Usually it is a kind of yearly reunion of friends and family.
No matter where we go or what we pay, we always have a great time.

We were in the market for a cruise in Europe this year, either British Isles or Northern Europe. We are retired so pretty flexible, to an extent. Had our eye on three possible Holland America itineraries, one Celebrity and four or five Princess ones. The sales by Princess only reduced the fare a little bit, And when we saw a great discount on the HAL cruise we jumped on it. I expect I will see some of those last minute deals emailed from Princess but too late, my money is already spent.

I guess Princess must not need to discount as much, good for them!! Edited by sunsetbeachgal