Jewel vs. Adventure out of San Juan

Planning a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan in March 2016. Our first RCCL cruise in in 2 months on the Radiance. Was planning to do the Jewel out of San Juan but noticed the Adventure also sails on the same weekend and I liked the itinerary slightly more. We have kids that will be 10 and 11 at the time.

What would be your preference and why? Thanks.

We enjoyed southern on Jewel, daughter was 13, and plenty for her to do.

Both will be port intensive so it really is more about the itineraries.

Next time we will do Adventure, just to sample another ship, for me anyways as DW and DD already sailed Adventure and had a great time on her.

Enjoy which ever one you end up deciding on.

Happy Days!

Planning a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan in March 2016. Our first RCCL cruise in in 2 months on the Radiance. Was planning to do the Jewel out of San Juan but noticed the Adventure also sails on the same weekend and I liked the itinerary slightly more. We have kids that will be 10 and 11 at the time.

They are both great ships with great crews. We rotate between the two choosing whichever has the best itinerary on the date we are wanting to sail. So go with the itinerary you prefer.

Different experiences on each ship....been on Jewel and loved her....staff uses every area of the ship to maximize the fun...since it doesn't have a promenade the Centrum becomes a bigger focal area....it works out the way they use it. Voyager class ships (which Adventure is) have more open space in a Promenade and can do things differently....bars and lounges are arranged differently....less walking through one area to get to another.

Pick the itinerary that works better for your time period...both will be fun cruises.

For the ship choice I would take Adventure for the kids. More room to roam and things to do. We've done Adventure(three times), Jewel and Brilliance out of SJU. Doing adventure again next winter. You can't go wrong with either, but if the ports are what you want I would choose Adventure for the kids.

Thanks for all the replies! For those that have been to the Southern Caribbean, which are your favorite (and least favorite) ports. Thanks!

Favorites would have to be Curacao and Bonaire.

Choices are:

Adventure- St Croix, St Martin, Dominca, Barbados

Jewel- St Thomas, Aruba, Curacao

Both stop in St. Kitts

Only ever been to St Thomas (which we dislike) but we would go to St. John from that stop (which we love)

Choices are:

Both stop in St. Kitts

Only ever been to St Thomas (which we dislike) but we would go to St. John from that stop (which we love)

Choosing from those two itineraries......I would choose Jewel.

You can't make a mistake, I have done both and both Itineraries and there is not a bad time to be had anywhere. Puerto Rico is a great starting point in the winter because you don't have to worry about a cold day at the begin and end of the cruise starting from Florida, NOLA, or Galveston.

Choices are:

Both stop in St. Kitts

Either would be fine. We like Barbados, but also like Aruba and Curacao. If the price is the same, then I would have to flip a coin.

We like the bigger ship, as there is more to do and feels roomier!:cool: Oh heck, just pick one of our weeks or both, as we are doing a B2B on Adventure in March!!!!;) Hope to see you on our thread!!:D

I have been on both of those ships and cruised most of the itineraries out of San Juan. If you weren't bringing the kids, I'd probably recommend the Jewel. The atmosphere seems to be more laid back and geared towards adults. But, if you are taking 10 and 11 year old kids with you, I strongly recommend Adventure. There will be a lot more options to keep the kids entertained. There are two pools on the pool deck as opposed to one on the Jewel. Adventure has the Royal Promenade, Jewel does not. Adventure has an ice skating rink, Jewel does not. As for the ports, in my opinion they all have upsides and downsides but you will not be disappointed with any of them.

We enjoy Aruba and Curacao very much and like returning. We like that itinerary. It is easy to get around on these islands.

In Dominica, we took a guided tour and that was good, as the roads are very narrow and we had a good driver and guide. So- this itinerary requires more planning.

Choices are:

Both stop in St. Kitts

That's a hard choice, but based on intinerary, I would take the Adventure. Loved St Croix and St Martin. Loved our tour with Woody in Dominca and Barbados has one of our favorite beaches.

Although our last cruise was on the Jewel and we LOVED Curacao. With both ships you can't go wrong. We've been on both and like each one for different reasons. No matter your choice, you'll love it!!!

For us it is no question Adventure. Have been on her 3 times and just love this ship. You can't beat starting your cruise already in the Caribbean. We have always spent 2 days prior cruising and 1 day after returning. Just can't bear leaving Paradise!!!

• 3 weeks later...

With kids that age, I would definitely take the larger ship, with more options for activities.. Both itineraries are port intensive, but you still want things to do. We just off JOS and found that they planned on everyone being off the ship for the whole day, so if you come back early there is very few options, water slide was only open from like 3 to 5 etc..