Pros to staying on Cruise ship when in Port?

I guess I am in the minority. We love to explore. We don't do excursions anymore. Usually rent a vehicle and go far away from Port to discover different places on these beautiful Caribbean islands. I can see how relaxing the ship can be when a good percentage of the passengers are not aboard but for us it is all about the destinations and not the ship. Even if we have been to that same exact port a dozen times. Always something new too see and do.

It's like having your own private huge yacht! Due to back spasms, I ended up spending a full day onboard by myself while the rest of the family was off touring, and although I was in pain, I thoroughly enjoyed being able to wander all around the ship without the normal traffic.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I haven't read all the replies so I'm probably repeating info.

My friend and I took a Caribbean cruise last year. We had no intentions of really doing anything in any of the ports (except Cozumel where we did a private beach club). We would get off the ship and walk around just the port area, get a drink at a club, and then go back to the ship for lunch and hang out by the pool. It was great. Very relaxing. I highly recommend it!!!:D

We've stayed onboard in the Carribbean and once at Monaco. Monaco is not that great of a port once you've done it a few times. It's a great time to relax, have a leisurely breakfast or sleep in and then use things you don't normally use due to crowds such as the hot tub, do some reading, whatever. The advantage of staying onboard during the Med cruise was that we could rest up from all the walking the previous 2-3 days.

We have stayed on a number of times when revisiting a port that did not excite us. The ship is quiet, but you will not be alone. Before we got free laundry, we would do ours when we stayed on. The laundry room was usually empty. The internet is also faster since there is little use.

DH and I are considering staying on the cruise ship when we're in Nassau next month. We've been to Nassau before and to be honest, it isn't one of our favorite ports. We've never just stayed on the cruise ship before.

Has anyone chosen to stay on the cruise ship when in port?

We have, several times, when we're at some ports we've visited before.

We enjoy the quiet, uncrowded pool area, uncrowded gym, uncrowded buffet (MDR's are often closed on port days).

We leave Saturday for western Caribbean and will probably stay aboard for some ports since we've been to all of them three times before. Looking forward to the quiet relaxation.

I guess I am in the minority. We love to explore. We don't do excursions anymore. Usually rent a vehicle and go far away from Port to discover different places on these beautiful Caribbean islands. I can see how relaxing the ship can be when a good percentage of the passengers are not aboard but for us it is all about the destinations and not the ship. Even if we have been to that same exact port a dozen times. Always something new too see and do.

If anything that puts you in the majority.

Most people leave the ship, that's why staying on can be a nice change, and most seem to do private things in post rather than ship excursions.

If anything that puts you in the majority.

Most people leave the ship, that's why staying on can be a nice change, and most seem to do private things in post rather than ship excursions.

You are correct but I was referring to being the minority on this particular thread.

Do it all the time ..mostly places we've been like Nassau, Key West and next cruise thinking of staying on board in Ocho Rios . its great!

Nassau and Ocho Rios I understand but Key West I don't.We never tire of Key West.

The first time I stayed on board was in Cabo on my second Mexican Riviera cruise but that was because my hay fever was really acting up (for the second MR cruise in a row, I seemed to be affected by trash burning in Puerto Vallerta.

One port we do stayed on the ship now is Ensenada. Been there done that (Baja cruises) ==to me, even one time there is one time too many.:eek:

Unfortunately, Ensenada is a mandatory stop on the otherwise wonderful RT Hawaiian cruises. Our last three cruises were on this itinerary so the first time, we did get off the ship long enough to go to the marketplace on the pier. Most passengers seemed to have stayed on board from the crowd on the pool deck. The next two times, we didn't even bother to get off the ship and I could easily say at least 85 per cent of the passengers used that day as a stationary sea day. Since it was the last day of the cruise, we used that day to pack, check out the photo gallery, etc.

The first time I stayed on board was in Cabo on my second Mexican Riviera cruise but that was because my hay fever was really acting up (for the second MR cruise in a row' date=' I seemed to be affected by trash burning in Puerto Vallerta.

One port we do stayed on the ship now is Ensenada. Been there done that (Baja cruises) ==to me, even one time there is one time too many.:eek:

Unfortunately, Ensenada is a mandatory stop on the otherwise wonderful RT Hawaiian cruises. Our last three cruises were on this itinerary so the first time, we did get off the ship long enough to go to the marketplace on the pier. Most passengers seemed to have stayed on board from the crowd on the pool deck. The next two times, we didn't even bother to get off the ship and I could easily say at least 85 per cent of the passengers used that day as a stationary sea day. Since it was the last day of the cruise, we used that day to pack, check out the photo gallery, etc.[/quote']

Wow, two places I haven't been yet. Nassau is also our last day of the cruise. I like the idea of just getting off briefly and then having the boat to ourselves. Really looking forward to it now :)

This is a fun topic. DW and I have spent nearly 4 years on cruise ships (all over the world) and normally explore ports (anywhere) on our own. But once a year we still like to take a 14 day Caribbean cruise and avoid back to backs. So we go on Celebrity (currently the Eclipse) which routinely does a true 14 day itinerary out of Miami. The cruise calls at 8 ports and we normally go ashore at each port and head off to our favorite beach and/or snorkeling area. But last December we decided to just stay on the ship. So for the first 7 ports (and the first 10 days of the cruise) we never got off the ship. In fact, during the entire 2 weeks we only walked off the ship one time, in St Maarten, to pick up some Cognac at a shop right at the port.

The surprise to both of us was that we loved the entire experience. While we have been on long cruises with many sea days (sometimes more than 20) this was the first time that we had ever stayed aboard at multiple ports. We found that the port days were simply heaven aboard the ship. It was quiet, one could sit anywhere without crowds or fighting for deck chairs, and having a late breakfast (after most had already gone ashore) was delightful.

So, we are again doing that same cruise this coming November and we are again thinking about not getting off the ship. But we should make it clear that we have been to all of the ports many times, so other then enjoying a beach there is nothing special about the ports.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have stayed on the ship in port many times, especially if I have been to a port many times. I enjoy this because it is peaceful and a lot of the times I use this opportunity to take pictures of the interior of the ship. There is always some things open but I can get pictures without a lot of people being in the way of my picture. I also get more time to talk with some of the crew and get to know them better.

• 5 weeks later...

Our last two cruises were very port intensive (Med) so my daughters and I intentionally chose a ship we had been on previously (twice) and ports we had previously visited (twice). We don't have any excursions planned. I might pop off the ship to pick up a couple of things but we are planning on spending time on the ship relaxing, using the spa and enjoying time with a near empty ship. It will be our first time to plan on "winging it" entirely on a cruise and we are looking forward to it. If, however, our ship was stopping in Key West???? We would be off the ship. Not many itineraries include Key West and we LOVE it. While my son-in-law was stationed in Key West, my Grandson was born.

I always stay on the ship. I grab breakfast in the MDR, find a window seat on the Promenade deck, and read and people watch. There are still activities like trivia, so I don't get bored.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Never mind.

Edited by YubaSutter

Yes, and some things I do -

- Enjoy the empty brunch/lunch facilities.

- Walk poolside without kids dashing around

- Treat myself to the spa specials

- Load Youtube videos (the internet is SUPER fast when everyone else is off the ship)

- Fast room service so I get coffee orders instantly

- Check in w/ the guest service future cruise specials

DH and I are considering staying on the cruise ship when we're in Nassau next month. We've been to Nassau before and to be honest, it isn't one of our favorite ports. We've never just stayed on the cruise ship before.

Yes, I have. No crowds at the pool or at lunch. There are some onboard activities if you're interested.

There are a few cons. The dining rooms are usually not open for lunch. There are not as many activities going on. But we enjoy having an uncrowded ship. We will stay on the ship if we ever take another cruise that stops in Jamaica as well as Nassau like the OP's.

After overdoing it in Rome before our cruise, I spent more of my port days on the ship, leg propped up and iced. It was delightful. Either the MDR or a for fee dining room was open for lunch, but room service was also an option. And, one day, the bar attendant saw to it that I got "room service" at the pool!

Although my leg was an issue for walking, I still got in my gym time and port days were great with no one in the gym to monopolize machines.

I know, I shouldn't talk about port days on ship, folks will start staying "home" in the ports and the luxury of having the ship to myself will go away.

The pros are you do have the ship to yourself as well as spa specials.

The cons are missing out on great lunches (even in Nassau) and free WiFi. Well maybe not free WiFi, you may have to buy a drink first.

Shak

Edited by Shak

We have been on about 16 cruises. Our last was 12 days. We got off twice. Once in Belize because we had not been there and the other was Columbia for a second look. If you want to go to a beach or you really need the shopping for trinkets, then get off. I will say I you have not been somewhere then put your foot on the ground. We just enjoy the ship and the quietness that is there when most are in port. We do really enjoy the ship.