getting around in Bermuda

Hello,

I am cruising to Bermuda next month on the NCL Dawn :)

I've already taken an island tour, but this year we want to do some things on our own on the island, Swizzle Inn, Hamilton shopping, perfumery, etc....

What is the best way to get around the island if you are not taking a tour and does anyone have suggestions on where to go?

We are not interested in renting mopeds :)

Thanks.

The transportation pass, which is good on both buses and ferries is your best option. You can purchase 1,2 or 3 day passes. There is a Bermuda board on Ports of Call that has lots and lots of information on where to go and what to see. You'll get answers here but there are people who have sailed to Bermuda many, many times and can answer most anything you want to know.

There are also links to the bus and ferry schedules there.

Beside the buses, ferries or taxis, what other choice could there be? :confused:

Unless you personally know a resident. Don't know if they have limo service on the island. Peddle bike perhaps. I know you said no to mopeds, I feel that is a wise choice. Maybe a private helicopter or private boat.

As stated previously, the public transportation pass is a great deal and very conveinient.

Edited by NH Cruisers

The buses and ferries (same ticket) are super easy to use and you can get to all beaches or towns you might want to visit. The excursion desk had passes or you can easily buy them at the dock. We bought a 3 day one our first visit and didn't regret it at all. Bus drivers are very helpful and will tell you which stop to get to Horseshoe Bay, etc. The easy to use bus and ferry service really added to our love of this particular port:D

Beside the buses, ferries or taxis, what other choice could there be? :confused:

A car rental, which we do in about 90% of the ports we visit.

Someone unfamiliar with Bermuda may not realize that it is illegal for non-Bermudians to rent a car.

Edited by ECCruise

A car rental, which we do in about 90% of the ports we visit.

Someone unfamiliar with Bermuda may not realize that it is illegal for non-Bermudians to rent a car.

Wow, did not know an island would make it illegal for non residents to rent. Guess it has been more of a hassle with issues that have been hard to resolve from out of country drivers....

Good info to know before I go there next year.

Thanks for the heads up....

Edited by FireEater

The transportation pass is the way to go. You can rent a moped, but the roads are very winding and narrow, and you have to drive on the left as well. I let the buses and ferries do the driving for me. :)

The transportation pass is the way to go. You can rent a moped, but the roads are very winding and narrow, and you have to drive on the left as well. I let the buses and ferries do the driving for me. :)

I hear you about that left side driving for us US drivers. I l drove a little while living in Japan years ago. It was tough to get use to for me.

I too will leave it up to the buses, taxi's, and ferries.... :cool: