On board The Star

kathy9

I am glad I was on the first voyage of The Star... and if I was retired I would have loved to sailed onto Barcelona. It was an exciting adventure, with great ports, food and friends!

Venice is great!

Kathy

I would like to thank everyone who has taken time out of their cruise days to post their personal experiences on the maiden voyage. We chose a July departure because we figured some bugs would have been worked out by then and to get some feedback from earlier cruises. (Also because Scandinavia...brrr.) Regarding feedback, we've not been disappointed. Personally, I am just as happy to read criticism as I am to read glowing reviews. Reading about the negatives, should those issues remain, is very helpful in readjusting expectations. It's always better, in my mind, to be happily surprised than to be sadly disappointed. With very few exceptions (and there are a few), most of what I have read here is less of an issue if it is anticipated instead of an unpleasant surprise.

Regarding communication, I will give them this: they do answer their phone and eventually email. So yay. However, the information is more often than not unreliable, contradictory, or irrelevant (as if they don't actually read email). That's as good as it gets, at least in my pre-cruise experience.

If Viking is reading this, I would really like to stress to them that their communication with passengers pre-cruise is absolutely horrible and it sounds as though it isn't much better on the ship, at least at this point. This is an enormous fail. Communication is the beginning of any relationship and if problems are not addressed, it can spell the end. Viking is enjoying the benefit of an unusually large percentage of loyal customers who have had excellent experiences with Viking's river cruises. This group is likely to be more forgiving and patient with Viking than new customers. If Viking would like to turn their new customers into repeats, I believe they need to address their communication problems a.s.a.p., starting with splitting customer service into Rivers and Oceans. The people who answered the phones when I've called know nothing about Oceans. They often begin by talking Rivers, then have to thumb through Oceans info and/or put me on hold to talk to someone else, as if they've never heard of the Homelands cruise. The only explanation I can come up with for this is that instead of having dedicated CS reps for Oceans, they have simply added Oceans to the ever-growing list of cruises Viking reps have to know about. If I'm wrong and they have a dedicated group trained specifically for and dealing specifically with Oceans, either the reps should all be fired or the trainers should.

None of that is my problem, though. Thanks to CC and the folks who have shared their frustrations as well as their joys, we're eagerly looking forward to a great cruise that will probably include some happy surprises plus some less happy ones and some inconveniences that would have seemed more dire and unpleasant had we expected a well-oiled machine. Well, actually, I hope the actual machine is well oiled. Or siliconed or whatever they use as a lubricant on ships these days.

We went on the optional Viking evening gondola tour and had a great time. The best organized Viking tour we've been on to date. We first got right off the ship directly onto 120 pax boats which took us directly to the old town close to St Marks Square. From there a short walk took us to waiting gondolas. 6 pax per gondola. Went all around some lovely canals. One boat back from us an accordion player and singer serenaded us with 'typical' Italian songs. The fading glow light was perfect. Weather was perfect. Got back on bigger boats to come back to the ship. Only issue was that we had to go through the terminal to go through Italian security before reboarding, but this was understandable and no big deal. Wonderful evening in Venice!

We went on the optional Viking evening gondola tour and had a great time. The best organized Viking tour we've been on to date. We first got right off the ship directly onto 120 pax boats which took us directly to the old town close to St Marks Square. From there a short walk took us to waiting gondolas. 6 pax per gondola. Went all around some lovely canals. One boat back from us an accordion player and singer serenaded us with 'typical' Italian songs. The fading glow light was perfect. Weather was perfect. Got back on bigger boats to come back to the ship. Only issue was that we had to go through the terminal to go through Italian security before reboarding, but this was understandable and no big deal. Wonderful evening in Venice!

What was the price for that excursion? I know I should probably take a gondola ride, but part of me is resisting because of the price, at least if I do it on my own. By the way, are the mosquitoes out yet? I hear they can be a little bit of a problem there, and I'm a real mosquito trap!

No mosquitoes yet in Venice.

If you book a gondola ride yourself it's 80 Euro.

And you have to be in central Venice.

I didn't feel any motion on the ship. We are midship on deck 6 though. A little rocking tied to the pier.

Nice to read comments from those with nautical insights.

Dauntless I was in a DV on deck 4 4103 Starboard toward the aft of the ship.

I prefer to be on a higher deck more midship and if we plan another Viking Oceans that is what we will book.

Kathy

After many instances of never having Room Service answer the phone I asked Explorers' Desk for the number. The pre-programmed selection on the cabin phone is wrong. Dial 2183 and it gets answered. I wrote it on the Room Service menu to help the next passengers in this cabin. And the corned beef hash on the room service menu still hasn't made it to the ship...

After many instances of never having Room Service answer the phone I asked Explorers' Desk for the number. The pre-programmed selection on the cabin phone is wrong. Dial 2183 and it gets answered. I wrote it on the Room Service menu to help the next passengers in this cabin. And the corned beef hash on the room service menu still hasn't made it to the ship...

Are there different Room Service menus for different categories of cabin?

I can't see any mention of Corned Beef Hash on the Room Service Menu posted by Algaes on April 19th?

I should have said that corned beef hash is on the breakfast door hanger menu. It's the one that you have to put out by 11PM to have breakfast delivered to your room. I consider that a room service menu but you are right that it is not on THE room service menu. Sorry for the confusion. And I think every room type gets the same room service choices.

We did the optional tour to Murano, Burano, and St Mark's Square. Mostly positive feedback - we really enjoyed the day overall. However, a few cautions to those who might be interested in this tour. The stop in Murano was to one glass blowing factory. We did not see anymore of the island except this factory. We did get a live demonstration of glass-blowing that we thought very well done. Then of course shopping time. Just be aware that this is all you will see of Murano.

We saw much more of Burano. We walked into town and she pointed us to the first shop in the square. We went off on our own and visited the lace shop recommend by Rick Steves (Lydia's). Go into the shop and at the back are some fabulous old laces. We had lots of free time in Burano, but no real walking tour, other than from the boat to the town square. (Got a yummy Gelato.) Which brings me to my second caution. The tour departed at 8:00 so we had to meet up at 7:45. We did not get back aboard until a bit after 3:00. NO LUNCH IS INCLUDED.

For St Mark's Square, we were let off 4 bridges down from the square and given some suggestions as to how to spend our free time, but no guiding or walking tour - just free time. Our guide did not walk with us to the square to point out any highlights. (This is caution #3) I spent my time happily going to San Marco while my DH found a very expensive restaurant and had a 14 euro glass of house white wine and people watched. Then we met up again 4 bridges away at the designated spot for the boat ride back to the ship. She was later than she had told us and there was no place to sit, so we browsed the souvenir shops in the shade. It was a lovely day altogether though and went off without any disasters.

Happy to report there are now 3 scales on board, acquired in Venice. One is in the ladies' locker room at the Spa, one in men's locker room, and one in the Fitness Center. I know you'll all be grateful you can now measure the pounds you're racking up as a result of all this delicious food!

I should have said that corned beef hash is on the breakfast door hanger menu. It's the one that you have to put out by 11PM to have breakfast delivered to your room. I consider that a room service menu but you are right that it is not on THE room service menu. Sorry for the confusion. And I think every room type gets the same room service choices.

The breakfast room service menu has been scanned and posted in menus board I started.

As a side note, I've yet to hear of a single service or option onboard that varied based on room category. Certainly there are differences in booking opportunities before cruising, but once onboard it seems to be a level playing field good and bad.

Edited by algaes

We did the optional tour to Murano, Burano, and St Mark's Square. Mostly positive feedback - we really enjoyed the day overall. However, a few cautions to those who might be interested in this tour. The stop in Murano was to one glass blowing factory. We did not see anymore of the island except this factory. We did get a live demonstration of glass-blowing that we thought very well done. Then of course shopping time. Just be aware that this is all you will see of Murano.

We saw much more of Burano. We walked into town and she pointed us to the first shop in the square. We went off on our own and visited the lace shop recommend by Rick Steves (Lydia's). Go into the shop and at the back are some fabulous old laces. We had lots of free time in Burano, but no real walking tour, other than from the boat to the town square. (Got a yummy Gelato.) Which brings me to my second caution. The tour departed at 8:00 so we had to meet up at 7:45. We did not get back aboard until a bit after 3:00. NO LUNCH IS INCLUDED.

For St Mark's Square, we were let off 4 bridges down from the square and given some suggestions as to how to spend our free time, but no guiding or walking tour - just free time. Our guide did not walk with us to the square to point out any highlights. (This is caution #3) I spent my time happily going to San Marco while my DH found a very expensive restaurant and had a 14 euro glass of house white wine and people watched. Then we met up again 4 bridges away at the designated spot for the boat ride back to the ship. She was later than she had told us and there was no place to sit, so we browsed the souvenir shops in the shade. It was a lovely day altogether though and went off without any disasters.

Did you go into the basilica of San Marco? If so, did you have to wait long in a line or was it civil this time of year?

At noon the line to go in the Basilica seemed way too long for us to wait in since Viking's (free) included tour gave us two hours at St. Mark's Square after a great 90-minute boat ride around the lagoon and by many of the islands.

We went into the basilica on the first AM. The line took about 20 minutes.

The included tour did not enter the grand canal. We did our own thing the first day and the vaporetto ride does go down the canal. Free tour was a ride including the outer islands and is exactly as described.

Tried to have dinner in the dining room last night line was 50+, buffet was empty.

Another visit from the plumber for cold water.

We went in twice on different days and it was about 20 minutes both times. We're there between 1:00 and 2:00 pm. If a big tour group comes along, it can get instantly longer though. In the morning we went by and it was impossibly long. If you want to do the Doge's Palace, suggest you get your tickets online ahead of time, then you can skip the line.

I did the 2nd floor Museum, which was 5 euros and gives you spectacular views over the square. Narrow (very easily missable) stairs are on the right as soon as you go through security. Caution: 50 very steep stairs to get to the 2nd floor.

Today for the first time we can see our Onboard Account on the TV. Not only is that TV functionality working but our account is finally correct from an error that had been on it since April 11 and that I had visited the Explorers' Desk for many, many, many times. "My Calendar" still only shows our booked tours and not our restaurant reservations or my spa appointment. The TV channels still don't work and now display a message like "We are working on the problem".

In Mamsen's the oatmeal now comes with sides of raisins, toasted almonds and plain cinnamon (not cinnamon sugar like World Cafe has which means you have to ask for plain cinnamon). Mamsen's used to serve just plain oatmeal and no "traditional" toppings of any kind (except for the fresh blueberries and fresh strawberries for the waffles). I consider this major progress!

At 11:25 AM our cabin is without running water but Explorers' Desk says it is being worked on.

Dauntless I was in a DV on deck 4 4103 Starboard toward the aft of the ship.

I prefer to be on a higher deck more midship and if we plan another Viking Oceans that is what we will book.

Kathy

Kathy, did you have enough storage space for clothes etc.? We cruise in June, and from the photos, I'm really wishing we had selected the next level up from DV in order to have a dresser.

The tour itself was really great. Split is a very interesting town, and the walking tour covered almost everything. The ship was docked about 1/2 mile smooth level walk into the old part of town, enclosed by the Roman Diocletian Palace. However, getting started was a goat rope. I was assigned to the earliest group and went downstairs at the appointed meeting time, heading for the meeting place, the Star Theater. Instead, there was a long line winding all around the corridors of deck 1. It was mass confusion. I decided to wait it out back in my cabin as there were lots of staggered times for the walking tour, so I figured I'd catch a later one. I waited a good 20 minutes. This strategy worked and I joined a later group of about 40 people (although I'll admit I didn't count them off). Our guide was great and we started the tour in the cellars of the Palace. Our guide did her best, but our group was competing for space with the other huge Viking groups who were now ahead of us. It was massively crowded.

My DH had decided to stay behind and perhaps get a later tour, perhaps not. As my tour group was leaving the cellar area, lo and behold we ran into each other as his group was going in. So I bailed out on my group and joined his. His group was about 12 people and by now the crowd had thinned quite a bit. His guide was also great.

In addition to the cellars, we were taken to the main Peristyle, saw the outside of St Dominius church (once Diocletian's mausoleum), the outside of the Temple of Jupiter, all of the 4 old gates to the city, several of the Medieval squares, and wandered all over the place, down enchanting narrow pedestrian only streets. We also went to the Ethnological Museum, which had lots of native costumes, jewelry and a room setting. This may not have appealed to everyone, but I thought it was great.

After the tour you could walk back to the ship, or stay in town.

So the moral of this story is that the early tours may be more crowded and the later tours less so. I'll let you know if this pattern continues. But Split was GREAT!