On board The Star

kathy9

(I'm asking on behalf of Mom--who really enjoys live music and dancing; count me out on the dancing part!)

Is there any venue on the Star with a small, informal dance floor and live music? I'm not talking about the "show" entertainment. Mom really enjoyed the piano guy on our Viking River Cruise last year--every evening he played and folks danced, laughed, talked, etc. and single ladies danced with each other (not every part of a "couple" likes to dance). It was one of those jazzed-up pianos with various sounds/effects so a variety of music could be played on it. Can Mom look forward to anything like that on the Star? (crossing my fingers for her)

There is the Torshavn, a small lounge that over live music and I presume dancing every evening starting at 9 pm. I have not gone but that is the way it is described in the Viking Daily.

Recieved our disembarkation letter....

Typical cruise line protocols

Leave bags outside by 1100 pm

Out of stateroom by 0830 am

Off ship by 0930 am ( we are staying in Venice)

Still no TV

We are doing a private excursion todayin Pula, a tender port ( ship using there own) and no mention in the VD of when we can leave the ship...

Will report back.

Kathy

Today I had my first "You've got to be kidding" moment when an announcement came into the cabin around 8:30 AM that said that we're leaving Pula at 6 PM rather than 11 PM. The announcement said that Viking was informed by the harbormaster that tendering would be dangerous due to the port traffic after dark.

Now, I am NOT a sailor (which is why I pay big bucks to cruise companies) but I have never been on a cruise that uses its own tenders after dark. It seems to me to be a very dangerous thing to do since tendering in daylight is problematic enough with passengers not seeing where to step, hold, etc. When I saw that Pula was a tender port and we were there from 9 AM until 11 PM, I assumed that Pula was providing its own tenders and had lots of lights, etc. This morning when I heard the announcement I was flabbergasted.

This, in conjunction with Viking changing the itinerary in February due to the "tides" at Greenwich and Rouen, causes me to wonder a lot about Viking's capability on the open water. Like I said, I am NOT a sailor but even I know that tide tables are available at least a year in advance since I look at one each time we book a cruise that stops in Apia, Samoa.

Anyway, now Viking learns, today, that tendering might be dangerous after 6 PM. I suppose it IS possible that there is some kind of last minute, heavy shipping traffic expected tonight, but I think it's more likely that no one at Viking even communicated with the harbormaster about the Star's plans.

Communication in general seems to be a major issue with Viking regarding the Viking Star and ocean cruising. Viking is not communicating to the passengers on the ship adequately, if at all, regarding when the published "amenities" will be available (newspapers in Wintergarden, sports channels on tv, pre-ordered beverages, set dining time in order to have the same tablemates and waiter each night, corned beef hash, etc.).

I KNOW this is a maiden voyage but SOME recognition and regular communication and updates by Viking to the passengers about the status of these issues would be appreciated. Right now it seems like reporting issues falls on deaf ears and now with the latest port tendering announcement, in conjunction with the ship's motion last night on relatively low-swell seas, I am concerned about our safety when we cruise off the coast of Italy and France where it IS rougher and requires real nautical skills.

There is an undercurrent of uneasiness on this ship right now about how things are going, especially among those of us who have six weeks remaining onboard Viking Star before disembarkation in Stockholm. We're hoping and expecting things will improve but we'd like some honest information from Viking about the status of problems and progress towards resolution.

I hope you understand how serious your allegations are.

It is one thing to complain about food, TV , staff service and the like ; it is quite another and much more subversive and serious to allege that the Viking professional staff and crew lack seafaring skills and thereby endanger their passengers as well as suggesting that the ship is inherently unstable .

And you give these comments additional "spice" by saying there is "an undercurrent of uneasiness on the ship right now" and you are concerned about your safety in the future on this voyage.

If you are serious about these things, you should speak to the Captain without

further delay .

If, after reflection, you think your remarks are exaggerated you should consider what effect your comments may have on intending and existing cruisers on your ship and determine to make more moderate remarks in future.

Rob

I second what southland rob said. If you feel that level of unease you should discuss it with the Captain immediately. If you still feel uneasy, I suggest you discuss disembarking at the next port and leaving the cruise.

This is a maiden voyage and issues are to be expected. Viking has a lot riding on this cruise as they have two more Star class ships in the ways and thousands of advance bookings at stake. I am sure that they are doing everything they reasonably can to correct the problems and shortcomings.

The Star is not simply a floating hotel and restaurant. Modern ships are complex with a myriad of complex electro-mechanical systems. This complexity increases the likely of problems and they are prone to show up in this first long voyage. I am confident that Viking is working to address the issues ASAP.

Dennis

"This, in conjunction with Viking changing the itinerary in February due to the "tides" at Greenwich and Rouen, causes me to wonder a lot about Viking's capability on the open water. Like I said, I am NOT a sailor but even I know that tide tables are available at least a year in advance since I look at one each time we book a cruise that stops in Apia, Samoa. "

Your speculation, like others have said ,has gone beyond your frustration about the things that are important to you on a ship as a long time cruiser .

You are now in the realm of accusations and gladly admit that you are not a sailor, just a long time cruiser. I would not be using a blog to get your questions answered.

As to the undercurrent on board, it must be only with those who are on for fifty days. I just read another's daily posts, and they were delightful and realistic.

There is an undercurrent of uneasiness on this ship right now about how things are going, especially among those of us who have six weeks remaining onboard Viking Star before disembarkation in Stockholm. We're hoping and expecting things will improve but we'd like some honest information from Viking about the status of problems and progress towards resolution.

I agree with some of the things LadyVol1 has said but not with above excerpt. We have had some frustrations, for sure. And, honestly, the ship has rocked a lot the last two days, more that I would have expected for the seas that we are in.

But, as a former sailor (Navy) I can tell you that from an engineering and seaworthiness perspective, I have no concerns. The captain and crew are experienced and I think they are also erring on the side of safety, not the other way around. Today's shortened port call in Pula is actually a good example of that. When the harbormaster tells you (between the seas, traffic and the nature of the ships tenders) that you should not run your boats in the dark you comply with that. That is the safe action to take and that is one they took. I feel safe. And this is from someone that brought waterproof flashlights, identified evac routes and determined the location of fire extinguishers etc the minute I got aboard (it's a Navy thing)

I do think that we are seeing that, while the ship is being operated safely, the planning for port calls has been shoddy. Really, my impression has been that they have focussed so much on trying to maximize the ship's physical readiness that they neglected, significantly, the port call planning and customer service. My blog post about Russian Visa's was an early sign of that.

They do have a significant communication problem. But it is not about safety, its about pleasure and fun on the cruise. The good news is that communication is something you can fix quickly, especially when an organization is new. So my hope is that our comments and feedback make it back and they communicate better going forward.

I am enjoying this cruise immensely and love the ship and its feel. The crew (especially the staff) is very friendly and eager to whatever they are capable of doing to increase our happiness. And everyday they are fixing and tweaking things for the better on the service side.

And again, I have no safety concerns.

Edited by CrusinSubMan

As two forty-somethings, my wife and I have struggled to do much dancing on board. We and several of the other younger couples finally managed to get the band in Torshavn to play some "rock and roll" two nights ago. It was their 11 to 11:45 set and we (six of us) were the only ones in the place. We pleaded and they played: " I Will Survive", "Mama Mia" and the like. Not disco or super good dancing music, but better than "Moon River". The band is matched to the waltzing generation and we were happy to get the slightly faster paced music out of them that we did.

For the most part, 3/4 of the guests on board are asleep by 10 PM or so (or at least in their cabins). Torshavn has been mostly empty unless there is a special show.

According to Carolyn on Live Chat there are 100+ onboard for the full fifty day sailing. I look forward to your overall impressions after your full cruise.

And each group that boards in Venice or Barcelona will bring a new vibe to the whole group.

Hope you find some younger folks who like to dance.:)

Thanks for your perspective as a former Navy about the actual ship and its schedule and sailing.

We will be on the 4th deck and have a self serve laundomat not far. How many washer dryer sets are in the laundromat? Thanks guys....really do hope your cruise gets the wrinkles ironed out!

Three washer-dryer sets in the room. My wife stayed up doing laundry last night. Some people get their laundry folded by others (meaning those waiting pull other laundry out and fold it). There is a TV in there and a love seat. TV is not working yet (specific comments are about port side 4th deck laundry room)

Edited by CrusinSubMan

According to Carolyn on Live Chat there are 100+ onboard for the full fifty day sailing. I look forward to your overall impressions after your full cruise.

And each group that boards in Venice or Barcelona will bring a new vibe to the whole group.

Hope you find some younger folks who like to dance.:)

Thanks for your perspective as a former Navy about the actual ship and its schedule and sailing.

A top level secret source told me its 100 cabins booked through, so 200 people.

We are actually a bit depressed at the moment because the eight younger (less than 55) folks we have met and hung out with are all leaving in Venice. My fear is that the average age is going to go up, not down as folks get on in Venice and Barcelona. The segments are longer and I suspect most getting on for segment 2 or 3 are staying for the long haul.

But there is more to the cruise than just partying. Viking is about culture and historical exploration and that has been and will continue to be great.

A top level secret source told me its 100 cabins booked through, so 200 people.

We are actually a bit depressed at the moment because the eight younger (less than 55) folks we have met and hung out with are all leaving in Venice. My fear is that the average age is going to go up, not down as folks get on in Venice and Barcelona. The segments are longer and I suspect most getting on for segment 2 or 3 are staying for the long haul.

But there is more to the cruise than just partying. Viking is about culture and historical exploration and that has been and will continue to be great.

Fear not John. When the Logistigr8r couple and Wendy and I join in Barcelona you and Angie will have some new kids to hang out with. Even if only for one segment.

I've even picked up a fake ID with hope I'll get served at the pool bar.

My husband is a former Navy man, damage control, so he is laughing about your first day walk through. We both agree that safety should come first. He was also nodding his head at your comments about how technical ships have become.

I'm less knowledgeable about such things but wanted to point out that very few cruise ships go into Pula. It's not like there is much history to go on, and this was the first time Viking had gone there. I applaud Viking for being willing to do it, and look forward to going there this fall. (Our itinerary is the reverse, so it is scheduled to leave in daylight. Given that I'm not much of a night person, a late departure would be lost on me anyway.

Cruising is wonderful but flexibility is always needed. Port changes happen; safety first rules.

CruisinSubMan, thank you for your perspectives as a Navy Veteran - and the clarification around your 'no fear for your safety' piece. Appropriate.

I must admit that we aren't the night owls we were - but we aren't going to be ready to party to Moon River either! I am thinking that Brian and Wendy and the rest will be sure to be ready to continue celebrating that very fun birthday of his and help you get some more lively music started!!

CruisinSubMan - Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate that you think everything is safe. Like I said, I'm no sailor. I let my frustrations over the "fluff" issues spill over. Mea culpa to you and everyone else.

Janet

Fear not John. When the Logistigr8r couple and Wendy and I join in Barcelona you and Angie will have some new kids to hang out with. Even if only for one segment.

Bad news! Somewhat in the words of Meatloaf, "two out of four ain't bad." Logistig8r couple is Social Security eligible. This is like a dating website; I am 6'4"; rippling abs, and enjoy sunsets and long walks on the beach. Trust me!

So tendering was an interesting experience today....

We were on the maiden tender voyage on a maiden voyage!

We had booked a private tour in Pula with several roll call members. After some haggling they agreed we could go on the first tender. We were given A tickets and waited over 30 minutes. We got called to the tender and boarded, I have never been on a longer tender ride, was about 40 minutes. We made it to shore and tying up the tender took a few tries but they did it.

We had to modify our tour with our guide but it was no problem.

The ride back was only 20 minutes!

Kathy

I've even picked up a fake ID with hope I'll get served at the pool bar.

If Waltzing is not your preferred form of dance, I will be ecstatic.:D

On the hilarious side of things, you should have seen my wife literally running all over Torshavn acting out the dance of Mama Mia from the play/movie.

Bad news! Somewhat in the words of Meatloaf, "two out of four ain't bad." Logistig8r couple is Social Security eligible. This is like a dating website; I am 6'4"; rippling abs, and enjoy sunsets and long walks on the beach. Trust me!

I did not mean my post to imply that its just age. Age has nothing to do with it. I think its cultural. Moon River is not what I want to dance to.

And since Torshavn is essentially empty most of the time, their efforts to attract folks that want to slow dance and waltz appears to have failed anyways. So I am hoping for some real upbeat music to burn off all the calories I am taking in from the awesome food is what I want. A piano man-woman, that can play all sorts of genres would be awesome somewhere.

CruisinSubMan - Thanks for setting me straight. I appreciate that you think everything is safe. Like I said, I'm no sailor. I let my frustrations over the "fluff" issues spill over. Mea culpa to you and everyone else.

Janet

No worries, I knew where you were going with this.

I agree also that the tendering experience today was not very good. The guys driving the boats had a hard time maneuvering them. I suspect in part this is because they practiced with them only a little and it was probably with empty boats. Those things hold 200 plus people when when dump 200 people into them they will behave like an entirely different boat. I explained to my wife that it is analogous to the difference between a tiny sports car and massive RV. One is responsive and peppy and maneuverable and the other is sluggish, slow and hard to put where you want it to be.

And it is hard to really get practice with the loaded down version of the boats because you need, well 200ish people.

But that said, I heard from lots of people that, while Pula was cute, this did not seem like a good port option nor did it seem like a well-planned port option.

But the REAL GOOD NEWS is that, according to my highly reliable printout of our itinerary (that is irony by the way) we do not anchor again for a long time. So for the next segment its nine ports of call (plus Venice) with only one sea day and all of them involve mooring at piers.

Thus, Pula will be long forgotten but the time we get to Barcelona.

I was trying to up sell you guys. You totally blew it! Everyone would have believed you were "around 50" with those "rippling abs" and "Baywatch body". Now people will just think you are trying too hard to hang onto your youth. Any chance you can flab up and wrinkle yourselves before we shove off?

Three washer-dryer sets in the room. My wife stayed up doing laundry last night. Some people get their laundry folded by others (meaning those waiting pull other laundry out and fold it). There is a TV in there and a love seat. TV is not working yet (specific comments are about port side 4th deck laundry room)

There is soap dispensed by pumps which look like you need to press a button but then later seem to dispense if you don't press. You may want to choose the extra rinse option on the washer if mild soap smells bother you.

There are two wall mounted ironing boards with an iron for each nearby. The irons have wall timers and the usual fabric and steam settings.

So tendering was an interesting experience today....

We were on the maiden tender voyage on a maiden voyage!

We had booked a private tour in Pula with several roll call members. After some haggling they agreed we could go on the first tender. We were given A tickets and waited over 30 minutes. We got called to the tender and boarded, I have never been on a longer tender ride, was about 40 minutes. We made it to shore and tying up the tender took a few tries but they did it.

We had to modify our tour with our guide but it was no problem.

The ride back was only 20 minutes!

Kathy

Thanks for the info for Pula, Kathy. I've been trying to figure out how long that tender ride is, as few cruise ships go to Pula and not even a local on Trip Advisor could tell me where the tenders go to drop off passengers and how far out the ships have to anchor, just that all ships seem to anchor there rather than dock. (There is a dock there, but I guess it's too small for cruise ships). Of course, the time it took for you guys to tender may be totally different when I go, as arrival/departure times and tides DO make a difference.

So a couple questions: Did you go to Rovinj on your private tour? Did you like it?

Would you happen to know where the tender point was, or can you give me some vague idea of what was around there - ferry dock? Yes, 40 minutes is a long tender ride - maybe the water was a bit rough in the morning. Most times when I've tendered, the tender back out seems to be longer and rougher, but of course it all depends upon sea conditions. Oh, and was the last tender a half hour before sailaway, like in Santorini, or something different?

Edited by roothy123