Disembark, then... Go to work??

This really only applies to those that live close to their departure port - that have literally gotten off the ship, gone home/dropped of luggage... Then gone into work.

Does anyone do this? Do you find it hard to get back into the swing of things or feel overly tired, etc?

I am a bit limited in how I can structure my time off, so I am considering doing this after a 7-nt cruise ... And curious to hear from others who have done the same.

DH does this all the time especially for the short M-F or F-M cruises. Works in the morning on embarkation day. At debark leave port by 11, in the office by noon. Usually talking to the office before we're out of the parking lot.

In our group there's also a Dr and an equipment repair technician who do the same thing.

Edited by SadieN

My wife's done this three times now - twice straight to work, once to a business breakfast (that was a little annoying as she had to pack an extra outfit, no time to go home or to her office to change).

She's always loved it - how many folks can say that they commuted to work by cruise ship!? It also means I'm in charge of schlepping all the bags home and putting the laundry on...

I flew from Los Angeles back to the UK to start the school year the very next day. We Landed Sunday evening and I was in school Monday morning and left the house at 7.30am.

I was jetlagged and had 4 hours sleep.

Not the same situation but if I was ok then I am sure you will be just fine. :D

So it looks like people do it from time to time. :)

I figure I'll still kind of be on that "post vacation high" so it might not be so hard to get through the day. (My other idea was to try and work a half day, the day of the cruise... But I wouldn't want to risk any work or traffic delays... Plus I DEFINITELY would be in cruise mode that morning...LOL).

7 day cruise - work most of day Friday - then have Saturday and Sunday for some R and R... Doesn't sound too bad.

I did it once. Left NYC around 10 a.m. Drove home. Dropped off luggage & was in my office by 1:00. I probably could have been there by 11:30 if I didn't go home 1st.

I have also taken work on a cruise & done it in my cabin or the library. :o

That's an entirely different subject. One I can relate to, all too often. On land or sea. Though DH will bring it out by the pool.

Edited by SadieN

I did it several times on a F-M cruise - worked 1/2 day on Fri, picked up my husband and headed to the ship. On Mon, after getting off the ship, dropped my husband at home and headed to work. Since it's such a short cruise, not overly tired and since it's basically just a long weekend, no problem getting back into the swing of things

Marianne

My office is only 200 metres from the cruise port in Vancouver (Canada Place). I get up in the morning, walk off the ship with my suitcase and straight to my office to start at 8.30am. It is great because I don't waste a day travelling.

That's kind of my thinking too, re not having to spend the day traveling. I have to be smart (and maybe a bit creative, lol) in structuring my time off... So why waste a day off when for all intents and purposes I can be in the office by 10-11am?!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

We drive a relatively short distance to either the Houston or Galveston port. I prefer Saturday to Saturday so I can have Sunday off before going back to work. I have finally come to the conclusion after retiring and returning to the workforce that I'm just not that important. I do a whole lot more of what the heck ever I want now than I used to.

Not me for several reasons:

home & work are Chicago & cruises are generally 2.5-4.5 hr flight

I NEED a day to catch up on sleep, do laundry & restock the home fridge

Late DH was a commission salesman. He did 50-60% of his business by phone. thus, in every port he ALWAYS found a phone & worked.

We were on an Australian cruise last month that ended in Perth. One of the stops was Adelaide. We had drinks with a couple from Adelaide.

He was getting off to spend the day in the office. She was getting off to do some laundry at their home.

Edited by iancal

This really only applies to those that live close to their departure port - that have literally gotten off the ship, gone home/dropped of luggage... Then gone into work.

Does anyone do this? Do you find it hard to get back into the swing of things or feel overly tired, etc?

I am a bit limited in how I can structure my time off, so I am considering doing this after a 7-nt cruise ... And curious to hear from others who have done the same.

When I was working, and the cruise ended on a weekend, I would take the Monday off.

Until I started reading CC I never realized that people actually got to have a week's vacation without doing work. My DW and I always have work to do on vacation. Just the nature of the beast I guess. Doing work on the balcony or out by the pool while floating around the Caribbean is a lot better than trudging to the office though snow drifts to do it.:D

There are occasions On port calls that i go into our local office to have meetings, some things are easier face to face.

I do get those days credited back to me and it keeps my work travel budget in check.

Will be doing that in May/June in copenhagen and barcelona.

On our very first cruise, 7 days, we were living in Omaha, NE. We flew back from Ft. Lauderdale to Omaha the Sunday we disembarked. We had a connecting flight and a long layover, therefore we landed just after midnight. The next morning we hurriedly unpacked and repacked my husband's suitcase and drove back to the airport for him to take a week long business trip to Denver.

We were on an Australian cruise last month that ended in Perth. One of the stops was Adelaide. We had drinks with a couple from Adelaide.

He was getting off to spend the day in the office. She was getting off to do some laundry at their home.

Oh my, that is so funny! She could almost have just left all the laundry there at the house and carried on a new clean assortment of clothing.

And even paid the bills and walked the dog while she was at it! Ha Ha

My DH always went right to his office as soon as we got home.

If we flew home and arrived anytime prior to 5 P.M., he went to his office.

If we disembarked in Boston, our home port, he was in his office by 10:30 A.M. Didn't make any difference what day of the week it was. :)

Not my ideal, I'd prefer a day or so at home to unpack and sort everything, but I often have to work while away anyway so better than no cruise.

Unfortunately I often have to spend a few hours in port on the phone.

I refuse to use email on the ship or I'd be working the whole time.

That's one reason i avoid cruises that stop in Newcastle, I know I'd end up in the office for most of the day.