How safe is going on a Southern Caribbean Cruise?

beccaseraph7

Thanks everyone for all your replies, I continue to watch the thread. You have eased some of my worries!

HOWEVER :P I would NEVER jump from a plane :O, call me a chicken! (Heights freak me out!)

I actually hate driving to, I make my hubby do it :P But I get where you are going with this!

:) I have friends who enjoy jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

With minimal situational awareness, you will be fine on those islands.

Oooh. Made a spelling error while at work, thanks for pointing it out! Feel better about yourself?

Oooh is properly spelt Ooh, I feel great corecting you as Ihave way two much times on my hands and I searched these boards for erors that others make, my misuse of the word two above is OK because I only look for erors others havemade. just teasing, happy cruising

Anytime you leave the U.S. of A, you are taking a chance. ;)

Yeah...but we do take American money up here ;)

As for the ABC's they're Dutch possessions and are safe. We have never had problems there.

They are also lovely little islands. Enjoy...

Last I heard Alaska was the U.S. of A.:)

Edit: oh then you must mean Canada. I see.

Ah, no. I was referring to Alaska. I know that there have been rumors that they bought their way in as a state but I have no actual evidence that it happened. And much evidence on the tv that they really are a separate country.

I would be more concerned about having to go to Miami if that is where your cruise departs.

The only places that make us think twice are Jamaica and St. Thomas. Lots of bad things in the latter. The locals are trying to downplay and keep it out of the press. So are the cruise lines because they have a huge investment in facilities and long term agreements with the port.

My goodness you are really an alarmist. First off, there is nothing wrong with parts of Columbia and, in fact, quite a few cruise lines call at the port of Cartegena. We were just in Cartegena last year and thought the city had really improved from our last visit. DW and I spent a delightful day walking miles in the city, enjoying lunch at a wonderful outdoor café, shopping, etc. And the "ABC" islands have nothing in common with Colombia. In fact, those islands are actually closer to Venezuela then Columbia....and Venezuela is a place to be avoided.

As to your "hearing about drug activities" we have heard similar rumors about parts of the USA :).

Hank

My goodness you are really an alarmist. First off, there is nothing wrong with parts of Columbia and, in fact, quite a few cruise lines call at the port of Cartegena. We were just in Cartegena last year and thought the city had really improved from our last visit. DW and I spent a delightful day walking miles in the city, enjoying lunch at a wonderful outdoor café, shopping, etc.

Pushy vendors and cab drivers can be dangerous to your wallet.

Ah, no. I was referring to Alaska. I know that there have been rumors that they bought their way in as a state but I have no actual evidence that it happened. And much evidence on the tv that they really are a separate country.

Well if what you say is true :confused given the geographical location of Alaska I think that it was a win-win personally.;)

I just want to add a personal philosophy. DW and I have been to approximately 100 countries (on many cruises and DIY land trips) including places like Tunesia, Egypt, Vietnam, etc. The only time (in over forty years of travel) we were ever threatened and felt danger was in Central London on a gorgeous winter day when we were confronted by a drug crazed man (I dealt with the situation).

We used to spend time trying to convince some friends and acquaintance's that its safe to travel to various places that are trashed by the press (we live in Mexico 2 months a year) but finally realized that we were wasting our breath. So now, when folks seem to obsess about safety we suggest they simply reinforce all their doors and windows, lock their doors, and stay at home.

Hank

Danger can come in different forms. In a third world country where police are corrupt, language is a problem and emergency medical facility subpar, trying to get help when you encounter trouble can be a big challenge.

I just want to add a personal philosophy. DW and I have been to approximately 100 countries (on many cruises and DIY land trips) including places like Tunesia, Egypt, Vietnam, etc. The only time (in over forty years of travel) we were ever threatened and felt danger was in Central London on a gorgeous winter day when we were confronted by a drug crazed man (I dealt with the situation).

We used to spend time trying to convince some friends and acquaintance's that its safe to travel to various places that are trashed by the press (we live in Mexico 2 months a year) but finally realized that we were wasting our breath. So now, when folks seem to obsess about safety we suggest they simply reinforce all their doors and windows, lock their doors, and stay at home.

Hank

No need to be rude.. I'm not your friend (I don't mean that in a "mean" way). I have no plans to cancel this cruise especially after getting the KIND response to this post.

There is NOTHING wrong with asking and being concerned about your safety in my opinion.

When we went to Jamaica on our last cruise I felt VERY unsafe. Some person followed us out of the cruise portal gate and followed us for 4 blocks demanding money even though I kinda then sternly tried to get rid of them. They showed no "violence" but I was very uncomfortable and concerned about what they would do seeing as they didn't seem willing to stop following me, so I headed back and got back on the boat.

I am not insulting any country, but I wanted more information before making my decision.

We went to Marti Gras a few years back and were concerned to, but it turned out to be amazing.. the people in NOLA are so friendly, I miss the atmosphere down there!

I love to travel and I will continue to do so, BUT I will do so informed. I will not just fly or cruise to a random country and assume I'll be fine.

One post asking questions is not "obsessing" but trying to get informed. If we didn't ask questions, how would we know the answers?

Now, I'm sorry for my rant but your post really upset me. You don't know me, please do not act like you do.

As to the others, I really appreciate your responses and we have decided to take this cruise! I put the deposit on it and started to make plans on monthly payments.

I am most excited about Aruba after all the responses and I am going to begin doing my research on each places to make sure I do not miss out.

I have this page bookmarked to come back to and write down some of the places mentioned, but any other tips are welcome and thanks again guys for your help... I can't wait until the cruise!

...There is NOTHING wrong with asking and being concerned about your safety... When we went to Jamaica on our last cruise I felt VERY unsafe.

It is interesting how different the various perspectives are. Based in part on our own past experiences, based in part on personal propensity for risk taking, based in part on the information and mis-information we have heard/read. I think being totally unconcerned while exploring remote parts of the world is a bad thing, staying home is a bad thing. Someplace in-between those two extremes lie the places that are "safe enough" for any given person.

A buddy and I, when we were 17, spent a month hitchhiking from Honduras to the States, with extensive exploration in Guatemala and Mexico. Today our parents would probably be hauled into court for inappropriate free-range parenting! (That was one of my top-ten all-time experiences.) I have had Costa Rican friends admonish me for walking alone to their house after dark. My father and I often walked after dark in the small village where he retired, much to the dismay of his friends. Our primary contact in Buenos Aires on this last trip was very uptight about going into some areas of the city that we visited on our own with no problem. Sometimes bad things happen, most of the time nothing happens. As others have said, a bit of situational awareness and reasonable precautions can make a difference. Take care, but don't let fear or excessive caution keep you from experiencing life!

(By the way, Jamaica is one place I would be very nervous. Colombia not so much.)

Stan

It is interesting how different the various perspectives are. Based in part on our own past experiences, based in part on personal propensity for risk taking, based in part on the information and mis-information we have heard/read. I think being totally unconcerned while exploring remote parts of the world is a bad thing, staying home is a bad thing. Someplace in-between those two extremes lie the places that are "safe enough" for any given person.

A buddy and I, when we were 17, spent a month hitchhiking from Honduras to the States, with extensive exploration in Guatemala and Mexico. Today our parents would probably be hauled into court for inappropriate free-range parenting! (That was one of my top-ten all-time experiences.) I have had Costa Rican friends admonish me for walking alone to their house after dark. My father and I often walked after dark in the small village where he retired, much to the dismay of his friends. Our primary contact in Buenos Aires on this last trip was very uptight about going into some areas of the city that we visited on our own with no problem. Sometimes bad things happen, most of the time nothing happens. As others have said, a bit of situational awareness and reasonable precautions can make a difference. Take care, but don't let fear or excessive caution keep you from experiencing life!

(By the way, Jamaica is one place I would be very nervous. Colombia not so much.)

Stan

Just for clarification, my Dad's retirement was to a small village in Mexico.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Ok, so not trying to get flamed here... I am honestly dumb on this this.

I was looking at a cruise that went to Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao because those are places I have never been.

After mapping them and seeing their location and talking to my husband we started to hesitate because of how close it is to Columbia (Now there may be nothing wrong with Columbia and we may completely ignore, but we have heard bad things about lots of drug activities. I apologize if this information is inaccurate, but that is why I am here asking to get more information.)

So, anyways... are these islands safe? Or am I being paranoid?

We have been to those islands many times over the years and never felt unsafe in them.

Those are wonderful islands.

My opinion....you guys will be fine. We have never had any problems anywhere we have gone. Aruba & Bonaire are gorgeous and very friendly people. I am from Chicago and at times think its more dangerous here then in the Caribbean.