Checking in from Reflection, Initial Thoughts

disillusi

So we're nearing the end of day 2 of our transatlantic on the Reflection. It's my first time on her and she's a gorgeous ship. Previously did a 14-night Antarctic on Infinity, which was great as well. That was two years ago.

Here are some initial thoughts while I'm thinking them:

1) The ArtStudio is a really fun feature and a nice touch. The classes (10 people max) filled up _very_ quickly, and so it was a bit of a surprise to hear our art instructor explain that they're shuttering the program at the end of the year. I liked having an alternative to the normal entertainment on board, and today's watercolor course was really nice. I really hope X reconsiders closing the Art Studio.

2) Holy crap is Bistro on Five now woefully overpriced. I had heard it was slightly more before I got on board, and it was: $7 versus $5. Nope, not true. The host asked me if I had been there before and when I said I had, he mentioned it is now a $10 per person cover charge. This is well too much for an adjunct lunch option, even if they're including gelato now. I hope they do some basic market equilibrium studies and see that this price point isn't great. We really enjoyed treating ourselves a few days of our last cruise. The crepes were fantastic and it was a nice touch for $10 total. For $20 total, I'll pass and take on some of the many other options.

3) Specialty dining rates are eye-watering. I think Murano is now $50? Is that possibly correct? I have the specialty 5 dinner package (of which, many problems getting booked correctly, but that's for a different thread) and I'll keep buying the package, but this is disappointing, if we want to do it again this cruise. $40 was pushing it, $50 is again throwing off that price-sensitivity bell for me.

4) The tree in the atrium is fantastic. I love that. It's clever, it's beautiful, and it's really a wonderful centerpiece.

5) The fact that the library, "hideaway" and gaming rooms open up to the atrium is fantastic in theory and horrible in practice. Nothing like hearing a nascent art auction while trying to read. There are fortunately plenty of other places on board to do that, but comon: these are specifically supposed to be nice gathering places tucked away, like they are on every other ship I've been on. This is rough because there's no real fix here. They have extended the glass panels upward a bit, but then there's a small balcony portion that's normal height and so there's no sound blocking properties.

6) That also said, the fact that X had the good wisdom to create a buffer sliding door for staterooms near the atrium elevators is brilliant. I don't hear anything and my room is RIGHT off the elevator. (1605)

7) The unlimited internet plan is great. For less that you used to pay for 1600 minutes, you get unlimited. Why this matters isn't because I was ever expecting to use all 1600 minutes, but because for as slow as the internet can be, even simple things can take awhile, so it's great to not have to obsessively worry about logging out and preserving my minutes. (I know plenty don't bother and want to be fully unplugged, but it's nice to check in on pups and make sure my partner hasn't burned our office down, etc.)

8) I'm torn on Alcoves. We have one booked for Wednesday and it should be fun and a bit of a spoil, but I can absolutely see the point that it's a lot of essentially wasted space, and a bit odd in its configuration.

9) I do love the actual lawn. It's just a really neat touch.

10) I'm getting a more distinct nickel-and-diming sense from Celebrity which bums me out a bit, than on my last cruise. Beverage packages are pushed like cocaine, but I'm hoping that ends around day 4. (I'm a teetotaler, so they simply don't apply to me.) The shift in pricing upward without compensating features to match has been discussed at length here, but I like feeling like I'm getting a good value and not feeling like I have to shell out for anything approaching a reasonable experience.

It's early, but I'm enjoying things so far. Blu is great (though our sommelier was VERY slow with the check, so much so that it never came, for which the m'atire d had words) and Tuscan Grill was also tasty. Tomorrow is Murano, which I expect will be functionally identical to SS United States on Infinity (but ~$10 more pp than two years ago?)

Curious if you all agree or have other comments on these observations. I'll be checking in, what with the unlimited internet!

Thank you for your day 2 review!! Do you know when exactly they are doing away with the art studio? We will be on the reflection December 12th and that was one of the things I was really looking forward to. :confused:

Does the art studio cost extra? Do they post the schedule in advance for the entire cruise?

I was hestitant to spend $7 for Bistro on 5. $10 is a NO GO for us.

Does the art studio cost extra? Do they post the schedule in advance for the entire cruise?

I was hestitant to spend $7 for Bistro on 5. $10 is a NO GO for us.

Our instructor simply mentioned that the program was going away "at the end of this year", I might be able to ask for more detail but I'm also planning to write a letter and leave a feedback card that this is a really bad idea. It's such a small space already and it was realllly enjoyable today.

The art studio has a couple of complimentary courses. Today's was a complimentary watercolor postcard. There are also free art tours through the ship's art. Then there are paid courses for $20 pp, which considering the supplies, is a reasonable cost in my estimation. (They offer mixed media, oils and acrylics, and we're doing a block cutting print session, which should be fun.)

No schedule in advance anywhere I could find. You'll want to head _right_ up there on the first day because 10 slots had a bunch of disappointed people showing up 5 minutes into our watercolor course today.

And yeah. $10 Bistro on Five is a big no-go now. Bummer, too. We really liked it at $5, for the odd treat.

Hi Disillusi,

Thanks for your onboard report. Very much enjoyed it ! Totally surprised to hear about Bistro on Five, especially as the price was recently raised to $7. All I can say is "wow". I realize it's only a few dollars, but I must say that I'm disappointed - especially as we enjoy Bistro very much. If there's a decrease in guest participation, I hope Celebrity will reconsider this latest price increase.

Have a wonderful cruise !

Edited by Host Andy

Hello and thanks for your observations. We will cruise on the Reflection in December, also in 1605. Is it possible to post a few photos of your balcony? Do you find Blu very busy? With the opening of the suite restaurant, I am wondering if Blu will be less crowded since suites now have their dedicated restaurant.

Hi Disillusi,

Thanks for your onboard report. Very much enjoyed it ! Totally surprised to hear about Bistro on Five, especially as the price was recently raised to $7. All I can say is "wow". I realize it's only a few dollars, but I must say that I'm disappointed - especially as we enjoy Bistro very much. If there's a decrease in guest participation, I hope Celebrity will reconsider this latest price increase.

This was precisely my feeling. I know it feels silly to carp over a few dollars, and for a lot of this vacation, I just go into a blind "throw money at it" fit, but there's a price sensitivity that triggers as a twitch in my occipital and makes me do a serious cost-benefit analysis. I was already grumbling when I found out it was $7 so the jump to $10 was a serious bummer. It adds up quickly enough and frankly, I don't feel like that's a fair price to ask for what you get.

It's too close to what I'd pay at home for a lunch, and again, adding gelato to the mix and a couple of other options is that sort of "forced upgrade" behavior that really bugs me.

Glad you enjoyed my review thus far. It's really a gorgeous ship.

Hello and thanks for your observations. We will cruise on the Reflection in December, also in 1605. Is it possible to post a few photos of your balcony? Do you find Blu very busy? With the opening of the suite restaurant, I am wondering if Blu will be less crowded since suites now have their dedicated restaurant.

I had this thought, actually. It's actually that Aqua Suites were converted to "Sky Suites" so Blu is the same size for fewer guests. I just went tonight at 7pm and we had a table for 4 instantly, on an at sea day, so I think that bodes well. The place was hopping, but no wait.

1605's balcony is excellent. Being on the hump is fantastic. It's easily 2.5 times normal. I'll take a photo tomorrow if I remember while it's daylight!

I had this thought, actually. It's actually that Aqua Suites were converted to "Sky Suites" so Blu is the same size for fewer guests. I just went tonight at 7pm and we had a table for 4 instantly, on an at sea day, so I think that bodes well. The place was hopping, but no wait.

1605's balcony is excellent. Being on the hump is fantastic. It's easily 2.5 times normal. I'll take a photo tomorrow if I remember while it's daylight!

Thanks for the feedback. Also, I am also curious about the Alcoves as we have one booked too. We cruised on the Reflection over New Years's two years ago and the Alcoves were fully booked, but I often read they are not utilized - I guess it depends on the sail date and the crowd. Can't wait to hear about your experience.

So going to the Bristo for $10.00 is to expensive now, what about when you leave your cruise, will you regret not having one shot at it?

Rooms next to the Elevators are quite noisy in one way, and very quiet in another not all rooms on the ship are quiet. If you have walked by the Theater as well by the MDR you'll hear the Ship creak.

I guess going to the Porch is out of the question then? I find that is quite expensive and wished I at least tried some of the food?

Sad to hear pricing has gone up at Bistro from 2 weeks ago...we sailed the march 28 voyage and thought about trying it which we never got to...as low as $7 sounds I was trying to justify the cost compared to everything else offered on board...didn't think it would be that great of experience. ..which I've heard is nice but didn't feel it for us.

Thank you for updating your TA voyage. .we would love to do one in the future...Reflection was our first Celebrity cruise and she is a beautiful ship...we had such a wonderful time...I'd have you say hi to some of the staff but there are so many to name...the crew was awesome..

We are booked on Infinity for Oct. ..is there a review that you have done for her....would love to read up on it...any suggestions or hints of any kind? :)

We did visit Bistro at the new price and new menu a few weeks ago on Silhouette. It was not worth it. The food was nothing special aside from the vastly reduced selection of crepes and the milkshakes. The server was rude and the whole experience was excruciatingly slow (two hours for two courses).

You make some very good points re price points - it might be only "a couple of dollars" and that is what Celebrity bank on you thinking, but the reality is a 100% increase in about a year.

As my wife said these costs for a pancake, sorry crepe, are in addition to what you've already paid to have food included. We found the quality of the food sufficiently good elsewhere for us to not bother with extra fee paying restaurants, apart from Coffee at Cafe Al Bacio. The only fee paying restaurant that appeals is the Tuscan Grill and that seems to get mixed reviews.

I have noticed (I don't know whether it is the case for the other restaurants) but the charge to dine at the Bistro is described as a "Service Charge" whereas at Cafe Al Bacio it is Priced per item + Service. Does that mean all the money they make at at the Bistro goes to the staff?

Hi Disillusi,

From my experience, the only thing this price increase will do is to reduce the number of folks who dine at this restaurant to avoid the buffet on embarkation day. It won't have any effect on the rest of the cruise when Bistro on Five is normally empty...so reducing empty is still empty.

It's really not clear what Celebrity is trying to accomplish with this increase...unless someone in HQ thinks they have magically created a menu and experience that folks are willing to pay extra for. That certainly hasn't been the case to date.

I think they'd do far better if the changed that area into something else....I'd love to see a sushi bar serving saki, for example. Same space, doesn't need any change to the kitchen and I'd bet the profit $'s would go up.

Edited by ghstudio

Agree about Bistro, remember this is in addition to what you already pay. We are going to Bermuda next month and will not be doing any Specialties due to price. I've said this before but paying 50 pp person above my cruise fare is absurd. And before anyone says anything I've sailed Celebrity for over 20 years and the food and service in any of the Specialty restaurants now is no better than MDR 20yrs ago EVERY night.

Edited by dkjretired

You make some very good points re price points - it might be only "a couple of dollars" and that is what Celebrity bank on you thinking, but the reality is a 100% increase in about a year.

I have noticed (I don't know whether it is the case for the other restaurants) but the charge to dine at the Bistro is described as a "Service Charge" whereas at Cafe Al Bacio it is Priced per item + Service. Does that mean all the money they make at at the Bistro goes to the staff?

We really enjoyed Tuscan, though my filet was just a bit closer to medium than medium rare (in contrast to the wife's steak in Blu, which was spot on and delightful). Everything else at Tuscan was really fantastic.

The "service charge" verbiage is none so benevolent. They call it a cover charge on board, and that's what it is. The idea is that it covers basically whatever non-booze items you're getting there. There is actually an embedded 18% gratuity that they tell you about, and _that_ portion I hope is going to the waitstaff.

I won't be back. We tried it once. It was good but not $10 good, and it was slow despite being almost empty right smack dab at lunch time.

I might try front porch, perhaps on Alcove day. For $10/pp, it'd be nice to see them include lunch for 4 in the alcove fee. The alcoves are basically all empty all the time. I've noticed maybe one booked each day.

I was also excited to take their behind the scenes special ship tour but it's $150/pp which is complete madness.

Just won the poker tournament, which was fun, but parents' room flooded this morning, which was less fun. (To their credit, X is taking care of that. Had the carpet pulled and then re-laid with new carpet by 4pm when the flood happened at 4am. Also comped some massages and some other nice things to make up for the inconvenience.)

Our instructor simply mentioned that the program was going away "at the end of this year", I might be able to ask for more detail but I'm also planning to write a letter and leave a feedback card that this is a really bad idea. It's such a small space already and it was realllly enjoyable today.

The art studio has a couple of complimentary courses. Today's was a complimentary watercolor postcard. There are also free art tours through the ship's art. Then there are paid courses for $20 pp, which considering the supplies, is a reasonable cost in my estimation. (They offer mixed media, oils and acrylics, and we're doing a block cutting print session, which should be fun.)

No schedule in advance anywhere I could find. You'll want to head _right_ up there on the first day because 10 slots had a bunch of disappointed people showing up 5 minutes into our watercolor course today.

And yeah. $10 Bistro on Five is a big no-go now. Bummer, too. We really liked it at $5, for the odd treat.

I am interested in these classes as we will be on the Eclipse TA next week....I am wondering are the classes for beginners(as I would be) or for more experienced artists....certainly don't want to be drawing "stick people" if everyone around me is a budding Picasso or something....just asking if a beginner would be out of place or not?

I took this TA last year, a fantastic itinerary. We had perfect weather all the way.

How much was the unlimited internet package? No wonder you are spending all this time on cruise critic. :D Hope you will also report from ports. I have two friends on that cruise and hope they are enjoying it.

From my experience, the only thing this price increase will do is to reduce the number of folks who dine at this restaurant to avoid the buffet on embarkation day. It won't have any effect on the rest of the cruise when Bistro on Five is normally empty...so reducing empty is still empty.

It's really not clear what Celebrity is trying to accomplish with this increase...unless someone in HQ thinks they have magically created a menu and experience that folks are willing to pay extra for. That certainly hasn't been the case to date.

I think they'd do far better if the changed that area into something else....I'd love to see a sushi bar serving saki, for example. Same space, doesn't need any change to the kitchen and I'd bet the profit $'s would go up.

I so totally agree with you! Bistro on Five is ALWAYS sparsely occupied, if at all, with the possible exception being embarkation day. Ate there in December at the $7 fee and decided that would be my last time. The food was not as good as I had remembered it from my first visit in 2012 @ $5. Now....at $10 it is totally overpriced.

If it was increased in order to give the staff better tips I'm afraid that will be a bust as well. No customers = no tips, no matter what the price.

I am interested in these classes as we will be on the Eclipse TA next week....I am wondering are the classes for beginners(as I would be) or for more experienced artists....certainly don't want to be drawing "stick people" if everyone around me is a budding Picasso or something....just asking if a beginner would be out of place or not?

Nope nope nope, perfect for beginners. Here's my parents' and wife's and my creation after the watercolor postcard course:

1526146_10104914845961191_2493838765471356129_n.jpg?oh=3d1687b9a1ddea968eed7d923559ddfd&oe=55A5393F

The internet package was $375, but since I'm Classic I got 10% off which made it a more reasonable $315 or so. They claim there are only a limited number of packages, but I don't think there's much competition here.

About to go get dressed for formal night in Murano!

So we're nearing the end of day 2 of our transatlantic on the Reflection. It's my first time on her and she's a gorgeous ship. Previously did a 14-night Antarctic on Infinity, which was great as well. That was two years ago.

Here are some initial thoughts while I'm thinking them:

1) The ArtStudio is a really fun feature and a nice touch. The classes (10 people max) filled up _very_ quickly, and so it was a bit of a surprise to hear our art instructor explain that they're shuttering the program at the end of the year. I liked having an alternative to the normal entertainment on board, and today's watercolor course was really nice. I really hope X reconsiders closing the Art Studio.

2) Holy crap is Bistro on Five now woefully overpriced. I had heard it was slightly more before I got on board, and it was: $7 versus $5. Nope, not true. The host asked me if I had been there before and when I said I had, he mentioned it is now a $10 per person cover charge. This is well too much for an adjunct lunch option, even if they're including gelato now. I hope they do some basic market equilibrium studies and see that this price point isn't great. We really enjoyed treating ourselves a few days of our last cruise. The crepes were fantastic and it was a nice touch for $10 total. For $20 total, I'll pass and take on some of the many other options.

3) Specialty dining rates are eye-watering. I think Murano is now $50? Is that possibly correct? I have the specialty 5 dinner package (of which, many problems getting booked correctly, but that's for a different thread) and I'll keep buying the package, but this is disappointing, if we want to do it again this cruise. $40 was pushing it, $50 is again throwing off that price-sensitivity bell for me.

4) The tree in the atrium is fantastic. I love that. It's clever, it's beautiful, and it's really a wonderful centerpiece.

5) The fact that the library, "hideaway" and gaming rooms open up to the atrium is fantastic in theory and horrible in practice. Nothing like hearing a nascent art auction while trying to read. There are fortunately plenty of other places on board to do that, but comon: these are specifically supposed to be nice gathering places tucked away, like they are on every other ship I've been on. This is rough because there's no real fix here. They have extended the glass panels upward a bit, but then there's a small balcony portion that's normal height and so there's no sound blocking properties.

6) That also said, the fact that X had the good wisdom to create a buffer sliding door for staterooms near the atrium elevators is brilliant. I don't hear anything and my room is RIGHT off the elevator. (1605)

7) The unlimited internet plan is great. For less that you used to pay for 1600 minutes, you get unlimited. Why this matters isn't because I was ever expecting to use all 1600 minutes, but because for as slow as the internet can be, even simple things can take awhile, so it's great to not have to obsessively worry about logging out and preserving my minutes. (I know plenty don't bother and want to be fully unplugged, but it's nice to check in on pups and make sure my partner hasn't burned our office down, etc.)

8) I'm torn on Alcoves. We have one booked for Wednesday and it should be fun and a bit of a spoil, but I can absolutely see the point that it's a lot of essentially wasted space, and a bit odd in its configuration.

9) I do love the actual lawn. It's just a really neat touch.

10) I'm getting a more distinct nickel-and-diming sense from Celebrity which bums me out a bit, than on my last cruise. Beverage packages are pushed like cocaine, but I'm hoping that ends around day 4. (I'm a teetotaler, so they simply don't apply to me.) The shift in pricing upward without compensating features to match has been discussed at length here, but I like feeling like I'm getting a good value and not feeling like I have to shell out for anything approaching a reasonable experience.

It's early, but I'm enjoying things so far. Blu is great (though our sommelier was VERY slow with the check, so much so that it never came, for which the m'atire d had words) and Tuscan Grill was also tasty. Tomorrow is Murano, which I expect will be functionally identical to SS United States on Infinity (but ~$10 more pp than two years ago?)

Curious if you all agree or have other comments on these observations. I'll be checking in, what with the unlimited internet!

Thanks for a great review of the first two days. I leave on Silhouette's TA in 5 days and so am curious to see how my experience tracks with your experience.

Nope nope nope, perfect for beginners. Here's my parents' and wife's and my creation after the watercolor postcard course:

1526146_10104914845961191_2493838765471356129_n.jpg?oh=3d1687b9a1ddea968eed7d923559ddfd&oe=55A5393F

The internet package was $375, but since I'm Classic I got 10% off which made it a more reasonable $315 or so. They claim there are only a limited number of packages, but I don't think there's much competition here.

About to go get dressed for formal night in Murano!

Thanks for the info...now to go searching for package info for our cruise!!!:)

We are enjoying this thread...nice art work...seeing it makes me wish I signed up...now it maybe gone by next cruise

hope you parents cabin is ok after the flood...did X say what caused it?

glad BLU is less crowded...we enjoyed it but at the time suite guests made it busy

how is the music and shows on board?

hope you continue to enjoy!