museum pass for Paris,

itsanita

We are going to get the museum pass for Paris, but trying to decide where to get it. If we get it on line, we pay a hefty shipping fee. We checked with our hotel, and we can't buy it there. Can we buy it at the airport? Or is the only other option to go to the address in Paris shown in the website after we get to Paris?

Thanks

I am so glad you asked that question! We planned on getting it at a tourism office, which would involve an out of the way trek for us. And as I understand, it would probably involve waiting in line, too. Since I really wanted the Cluny Museum to be our first stop anyway, that will really save us some time. With only 2 1/2 days in Paris I don't want to waste any time.

I am so glad you asked that question! We planned on getting it at a tourism office, which would involve an out of the way trek for us. And as I understand, it would probably involve waiting in line, too. Since I really wanted the Cluny Museum to be our first stop anyway, that will really save us some time. With only 2 1/2 days in Paris I don't want to waste any time.

Same here...don't want to waste a minute!! We will check and see what our first museum will be, and get the pass there.. I love these boards!!

In addition to museums, you can also purchase the Paris museum pass at airports (both CDG and Orly).

Arrivals - available at the tourist information desk:

CGD: Terminal 1, 2c, 2d, 2e, 2f

Orly: Sud Terminal & Quest Terminal

Just keep in mind that there is a difference between the "Paris Museum Pass" and the "Paris Visite Pass." We just mention this because of some recent questions raised (on another thread) about the Visite Pass.

Hank

In addition to museums, you can also purchase the Paris museum pass at airports (both CDG and Orly).

Arrivals - available at the tourist information desk:

CGD: Terminal 1, 2c, 2d, 2e, 2f

Orly: Sud Terminal & Quest Terminal

I highly recommend buying it at the airport. Don't take chances on lines at the museums - you never know!

Besides, you can ask questions and pick up a lot of other info, maps, etc. at the information desks.

This is good news. I haven't decided on the various passes for our 4 day trip in October, but it's good to have options. We are desultory travellers, don't try to see everything, so I'm pretty sure that the Paris Pass, which includes transit, wouldn't be worth it for us (unless we wanted to do the HoHo as well); but the Museum Pass still might be a good value, partly because you can avoid the queues.

May I assume that the Paris Pass (which includes the Visite I think), can only be purchased online or at the office?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Our hotel actually sold us ours last time we were there. We're staying in an apartment this summer, so we'll pick up at the airport. Never go in believing it will save you money. It's just convenient and helps to skip lines. It won't get you in to tour the Opera as that is not included. We'll probably go the Orsay, Arc de Triomphe, and Versailles in two days. That would cost 40 euros without the Pass and 42 with the pass. We're obviously paying to skip the lines.

Our hotel actually sold us ours last time we were there. We're staying in an apartment this summer, so we'll pick up at the airport. Never go in believing it will save you money. It's just convenient and helps to skip lines. It won't get you in to tour the Opera as that is not included. We'll probably go the Orsay, Arc de Triomphe, and Versailles in two days. That would cost 40 euros without the Pass and 42 with the pass. We're obviously paying to skip the lines.

I'll check with our hotel, too. We are getting off the Anthem in Le Havre, so will be riding the train in. I checked the website for Gare St. Lazare and it doesn't look like there is any place there to get the pass, but I will double check once we get there. I know the other train stations have a tourism office where you can get it. If I were flying I would definitely get it at the airport.

The Cluny will work really well in my planned schedule. I am not imagining too long of a line there. For us, I think it will save us a few $$ besides skipping the lines.

Have you done the Opera Tour before? I thought I saw somewhere that they have a tour in English everyday at 2:30 and now I can't find it on their webpage.

Shirley

I'll check with our hotel, too. We are getting off the Anthem in Le Havre, so will be riding the train in. I checked the website for Gare St. Lazare and it doesn't look like there is any place there to get the pass, but I will double check once we get there. I know the other train stations have a tourism office where you can get it. If I were flying I would definitely get it at the airport.

The Cluny will work really well in my planned schedule. I am not imagining too long of a line there. For us, I think it will save us a few $$ besides skipping the lines.

Have you done the Opera Tour before? I thought I saw somewhere that they have a tour in English everyday at 2:30 and now I can't find it on their webpage.

Shirley

There are English speaking guided tours at the Garnier. We did the self guided tour just following the guidebook provided. It took 3 trips to get there and it was by far my favorite part of that trip. I have a picture I took of the Chagall ceiling as my screen on my phone!

Shirley

It's pretty buried on their web site, I just found it again:

Guided tours in English

All year round, on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays: 11.30 am and 2.30 pm

School holidays and July/August every day at 11.30 am and 2.30 pm

http://visitepalaisgarnier.fr/en/useful-information

(open the info for Individuals to find the tour info)

We will be making our second visit to Paris in the fall and this is very high on our list!

Shirley

I am pretty sure that there are hourly tours of the Opera. We had to do the self tour because I think we got there at 4 pm and the tours were done for the day. It is a beautiful building, from the Chagall ceilings on down.

There are kiosks, that resemble magazine stands, scattered around Paris that sell the passes. We bought ours very near Notre Dame Cathedral (on the Notre dame side of the hospital, Hotel-Dieu). Very easy! Hope that helps

We are going to get the museum pass for Paris, but trying to decide where to get it. If we get it on line, we pay a hefty shipping fee. We checked with our hotel, and we can't buy it there. Can we buy it at the airport? Or is the only other option to go to the address in Paris shown in the website after we get to Paris?

Thanks

I just looked at the tours in English for the Opera. There are only two per day.

Guided tours in English

I just looked at the tours in English for the Opera. There are only two per day.

Guided tours in English

Anyone know if the tour is worthwhile?

Anyone know if the tour is worthwhile?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187147-d3948577-Reviews-Cultival-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

That's the link to the reviews. The tours are run by Cultival. Cultival also has the skip the lines, Behind the Scenes Tour of the Eiffel Tower and you will see reviews for both tours in that thread. I did that one three years ago and thought it was great. I am debating doing the Opera Tour this year. I did a self tour last time around, but we have our 17 and 15 year olds with us and they might want to see the building.

Edited by hubofhockey

It's pretty buried on their web site, I just found it again:

http://visitepalaisgarnier.fr/en/useful-information

(open the info for Individuals to find the tour info)

We will be making our second visit to Paris in the fall and this is very high on our list!

I still couldn't find it on the webpage, but that looks like the times I saw earlier. All I can get to is a page to order €10 tickets for a general tour. Do you suppose it is possible to show up and still be able to get the tour in English? I REALLY want to do this!

I still couldn't find it on the webpage, but that looks like the times I saw earlier. All I can get to is a page to order €10 tickets for a general tour. Do you suppose it is possible to show up and still be able to get the tour in English? I REALLY want to do this!

http://www.cultival.fr/en/visites/the-opera-garnier-day-tour-01092014

Here it is.

You can purchase the museum pass at any museum that accepts it. I have purchased it at the Cluny and St Chapelle (shorter lines at both). You don't have to use it then either as you fill in the date you want it to begin.

You can buy the museum pass at most - but not all - of the places that accept it. Here's a link to the website where you can find all of the points of sale.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/rub-t-points-of-sale-3.htm?cat=3

Shirley

The museum pass website doesn't show that the pass is available for sale at Gare St. Lazare, just Gare du Nore, Gare de Lyon and Gare de l'Est. The Cluny would be a good place to buy it - it's unlikely to have much of a line.

Buying a Museum Pass at a train station visitor center is not always a good move. Once the spring tourist season starts, the visitor centers can get very busy. One can find themselves waiting in a queue for a substantial amount of time just to buy a pass. The Museum Pass is sold at quite a few places around Paris so its wise to copy down a few locations in case your first attempt is not productive.

Hank