Passport for a 14-year old

Saltz

In the past we always had our passports but I want to forgo renewing my daughter's passport this year. If I bring her expired passport and birth certificate, will this be enough to present as ID? I just want to make sure I won't have issues. Oh, and we'll be sailing to and from Port of Miami if that makes a difference.

In the past we always had our passports but I want to forgo renewing my daughter's passport this year. If I bring her expired passport and birth certificate, will this be enough to present as ID? I just want to make sure I won't have issues. Oh, and we'll be sailing to and from Port of Miami if that makes a difference.

You can bring it as it might be of some help for the Consulate if something happens but since she is under 16 she only needs the birth certificate.

As long as she's a US citizen with a birth certificate - that's all that's required for a closed loop cruise. No passport (expired or otherwise) necessary.

All that said, I'm one of those who feel a passport (non-expired) is the way to go.

Edited by Shmoo here

No problem unless there's an emergency and you have to fly home from a foreign port.

Or if there's a problem and the ship gets diverted back to a different port. Passports are only not required for closed loop tours. Meaning it sails and returns to the same US port.

Or if there's a problem and the ship gets diverted back to a different port. Passports are only not required for closed loop tours. Meaning it sails and returns to the same US port.

Not quite, the authorities will process everyone just as if it had remained a closed loop cruise, as has happened every time this has occurred. What do think they are going to do, deny entry to the 40 to 60% of passengers onboard that don't have a passport?

Here are some questions you might ponder:

1. Is there a time-crunch why you can't wait a month or two and get a passport?

2. Do you anticipate NOT traveling again for the next 4 years with your child or even your child going on some sort of school trip?

Yes, it is a sizable expense, but in my opinion well worth the alternative of being caught without it. That could be a huge hassle!

The next time your child needs to renew the passport (age 18), it will be valid for ten years and the child would be an adult.

This is the price we must pay when we introduce this great thing called travel (specifically international travel) to our children at such young ages. In turn, we both get to enjoy the adventure, make lasting memories, journey on together!

Please don't post things you know nothing about. People get confused.

OP, birth certificate only will be fine.

Please don't post things you know nothing about. People get confused.

OP, birth certificate only will be fine.

From what I read at the passport site, even if you have to fly back, 16 and under only need a birth certificate. You can go there and check for yourself though.

Birth certificate is fine. We are slowly getting passports but not all of my family has them yet. My 16 year old daughter will be using her birth certificate for our cruise in 2 weeks. We just ran out of time and with crazy schedules didn't get it done. I think we will just wait until she's 18 now unless we have another reason. We are fortunate to have a passport office in Denver that you can get one in a day for an extra $60 (rather than hundreds!) I know people lose their minds over this on these boards but you are fine

Not quite, the authorities will process everyone just as if it had remained a closed loop cruise, as has happened every time this has occurred. What do think they are going to do, deny entry to the 40 to 60% of passengers onboard that don't have a passport?

Hmm, that's interesting because I listen to Cruise Radio all the time, and they were talking about a situation where a ship was diverted to a different US port upon return, and a whole bunch of people were held up at customs because they didn't have passports. I just don't see them making exceptions to a US federal law.

And honestly, I wouldn't feel bad for anyone in that situation either because I think you have to be absolutely nuts to travel out of the country without a passport. It's not like they cost that much in relation to the price of the cruise itself and they are good for ten whole years if you are an adult.

Many of you are under the misconception that you have to be 18 years old to have a full validity 10-year passport. You don't.

Once a person is aged 16, they qualify for a passport which is valid for 10 years. Only applicants under the age of 16 get passports valid for 5 years.

Here's the info from the U.S. Department of State:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/16-and-17.html

From what I read at the passport site, even if you have to fly back, 16 and under only need a birth certificate. You can go there and check for yourself though.

No, for international air travel all travelers require passports to re-enter the US.

Hmm, that's interesting because I listen to Cruise Radio all the time, and they were talking about a situation where a ship was diverted to a different US port upon return, and a whole bunch of people were held up at customs because they didn't have passports. I just don't see them making exceptions to a US federal law.

And honestly, I wouldn't feel bad for anyone in that situation either because I think you have to be absolutely nuts to travel out of the country without a passport. It's not like they cost that much in relation to the price of the cruise itself and they are good for ten whole years if you are an adult.

That passengers can use a birth certificate/government issued photo ID is an exception so it's not surprising that exceptions are made. The passengers may have been "held up" but they were still cleared to re-enter the country. When the CCL ship had problems and off loaded everyone at St Maarten those without passports were simply given letters from CBP allowing them to fly back without a passport. (And the State Department does have the authority to waive the passport requirements for emergencies and for humanitarian reasons, so even individuals can receive assistance). Yes, it will entail a delay (how much of one depends on the circumstances) but the passenger will get home.

You can think someone is nuts all that you want to, but the choice is a legal one that they may make under US law and since millions of passengers every year travel on closed loop cruises with something other than a passport with no issues whatsoever.

Their reason why is irrelevant.

It may be irrelevant, but it may be of value to people who are considering whether to get a passport, or renew or not.

It's cheaper to renew than to apply for a new passport altogether, and that's what would happen if the OP waits too long after the daughter's passport expires. That's why I'm asking. Sometimes people do things to save money and by the time it's all said and done, the savings are minimal or negligible.

Getting a renewal at 14 will cost $80. Waiting 2 years to apply new will cost $135. So they save $80 now but spend an extra $55 later. It may make sense to some to let their passport expire. For others it may not. And that's the beauty of this forum and our ability to ask questions beyond the scope of the initial inquiry.

Edited by Tapi

It may be irrelevant, but it may be of value to people who are considering whether to get a passport, or renew or not.

It's cheaper to renew than to apply for a new passport altogether, and that's what would happen if the OP waits too long after the daughter's passport expires. That's why I'm asking. Sometimes people do things to save money and by the time it's all said and done, the savings are minimal or negligible.

Getting a renewal at 14 will cost $80. Waiting 2 years to apply new will cost $135. So they save $80 now but spend an extra $55 later. It may make sense to some to let their passport expire. For others it may not. And that's the beauty of this forum and our ability to ask questions beyond the scope of the initial inquiry.

And your second post is much more helpful to someone making a decision, thank you for expounding.

Worst case scenario.... What if your 14 year old misses the boat (with a parent) or is seriously injured, hospitalized and can't reboard? A birth certificate still enough to return days or -God forbid- weeks later? I ask because I too have a 14 year old and am considering my options....

Edited by graygirl

Worst case scenario.... What if your 14 year old misses the boat (with a parent) or is seriously injured, hospitalized and can't reboard? A birth certificate still enough to return days or -God forbid- weeks later? I ask because I too have a 14 year old and am considering my options....

You need to realistically analyze how likely any of those scenarios are of occurring and then decide if you can live with the risk (for example if your 14 year old has a known medical condition that could require attention, what are you doing in the port that might make you miss the ship). Worst case scenario is the State Department determines that your circusmstances do not represent an emergency or that there are no humanitarian reasons to waive the passport requirement in which case it could take several days or longer for them to issue the appropriate documentation. A passport is of course the safest course of action, but only you can decide if it's best for you and yours for the types of travel you will be doing and the travel that you have planned.

Just renewed my 14yr old granddaughters passport for our upcoming June cruise. No way am I taking any of my family out of the country without a passport.

Everyone has a different tolerance level.......sailing without a passport is not mine.....;)

Many of you are under the misconception that you have to be 18 years old to have a full validity 10-year passport. You don't.

Once a person is aged 16, they qualify for a passport which is valid for 10 years. Only applicants under the age of 16 get passports valid for 5 years.

I still wouldn't wait 2 years to get a passport.

• 2 weeks later...

This is correct as our grandson was 2 months shy of 16 and we waited so he would have a ten year passport