Lounge chairs on Promenade Deck

Yorkies Rule

Just returned from Mexican cruise (Sea of Cortez) and note that others on the cruise have reported so will not repeat. It was a wonderful cruise. Only thing I missed and was so upset, if I may say so, was that there were NO deck chairs on the Promenade Deck. Not ONE!! :confused: Could this have been because of the dry dock following our cruise? Has this happened on any other cruise? The most relaxing part of a cruise for me is to enjoy the sound of the waves while reading a good book on the Promenade Deck. Any comments?

Just returned from Mexican cruise (Sea of Cortez) and note that others on the cruise have reported so will not repeat. It was a wonderful cruise. Only thing I missed and was so upset, if I may say so, was that there were NO deck chairs on the Promenade Deck. Not ONE!! :confused: Could this have been because of the dry dock following our cruise? Has this happened on any other cruise? The most relaxing part of a cruise for me is to enjoy the sound of the waves while reading a good book on the Promenade Deck. Any comments?

I just got of the Star Princess in March 2015 and there were plenty of deck chairs with blue cushions, along with some benches that contained extra life vests. I haven't seen loungers on Princess promenade decks in a few years. Are you saying there were no chairs at all or just no lounge chairs?

Edited by sknight

What ship?

I haven't seen loungers on Princess promenade decks in a few years. Believe they where removed for safety to allow better access to the life craft. Removing them also allows a better and safer space for the large number of walkers that use the promenade.

The Regal has teak loungers.

The Regal has teak loungers.

In the patio areas, not the walkable sections, and not where the life boats load? The Royal also had them, but in the wide patio areas where life boats don't load. Believe the OP was speaking about the Star which does the Sea of Cortez.

I haven't seen loungers on Princess promenade decks in a few years. Believe they where removed for safety to allow better access to the life craft. Removing them also allows a better and safer space for the large number of walkers that use the promenade. If I remember correctly the Royal Princess did have some lounge chairs on their promenade deck patios areas. The Royal does not have a walkable promenade.
It depends on the ship whether there are loungers, chairs or nada.

Yes, loungers and chairs on the Royal and Regal:

d48badbf2c33cbfcf3ae66b4218c027c.jpg

It's a matter of definition but Princess has not built ships with a walkable Promenade deck in many years. Having to go up and down steps is not IMHO a walkable Promenade deck because you're not staying on Promenade deck.

In the patio areas, not the walkable sections, and not where the life boats load? The Royal also had them, but in the wide patio areas where life boats don't load. Believe the OP was speaking about the Star which does the Sea of Cortez.

You said you have not seen them on a Princess ship in years, yet there they are. :) They are on the Promenade deck.

Maybe so (Star)......but I won't assume what ship the OP was talking about.

Yes the Island/Coral too.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It depends on the ship whether there are loungers, chairs or nada.

Yes, loungers and chairs on the Royal and Regal:

It's a matter of definition but Princess has not built ships with a walkable Promenade deck in many years. Having to go up and down steps is not IMHO a walkable Promenade deck because you're not staying on Promenade deck.

We loved the Promenade on Sea Princess. It was all one level and very wide so that it could have full reclining loungers. It was our first cruise and we were surprised on our next one which was on Star Princess when we discovered that the Promenade "stepped up" at the bow and was far too narrow to allow reclining loungers. We didn't realize on that first cruise that the wide, one level, Promenade wasn't the norm. It certainly was great though. My wife absolutely loved it. :)

The Sea of Cortez is by western Mexico' date=' so the OP is probably talking about the Crown, Ruby, Star, or some other ship that's stationed over here, and not the Regal or Royal.[/quote']

I get that, I was responding to the post

by Sknight "I haven't seen loungers on Princess promenade decks in a few years."

I also said I would not assume what ship the OP was referring to.

The Sea of Cortez is by western Mexico' date=' so the OP is probably talking about the Crown, Ruby, Star, or some other ship that's stationed over here, and not the Regal or Royal.[/quote']

If it was the Crown . It had teak chairs on the promenade deck . We were on the Crown Feb 2015 and there was teak chairs.

Ah... in rereading the OP's post, they were on Golden Princess. Last time I was on Golden (last October), there were only benches and a few chairs. They also had these new benches that apparently house lifejackets.

15501253627_2cc80cfe05_z.jpg3-day Cruise Golden Princess by RickEk, on Flickr

Sorry I did not get back here sooner. Thank you for all the replies. I was talking about the Golden. Mind you, previous cruises had been on HAL and lounge chairs were on the Promenade Deck. Then decided to return to Princess and I kid you not. There was not any chair on the Golden Promenade Deck. Only the lifejacket benches. Not comfortable at all. Ended up sitting up top, beside the funnel for shade, changing sides as the sun crossed the ship. Hmmmmmm, who do we speak to about this ;)

I cannot fathom why, when this is one of the favorite places to relax for so many cruisers, that Princess would choose to take this away. Relaxing, reading, sleeping on the Promenade deck is one of our main reasons to cruise, and I don't think I'm in the minority. Princess - keep our chairs!!!!

The padded chairs were on the Promenade deck of the Caribbean Princess a month ago.The narrow promenade decks on the Grand Class ships only leave room for chairs.

The padded full loungers are on the Promenade deck of the Royal and Regal.