FLL Pier Agents losing their jobs?

iipa

"Innovation" isn't searching for a cheaper option, achieved by outsourcing.

When you outsource, the employee (or resource in the jargon some prefer to use) no longer has any loyalty to the company, but is just "a resource." As a result you often find issues, which companies try to compensate by the use of SLAs and KPIs. Of course, this can only be achieved after the fact, which is why you have larger call centres to deal with issue resolution.

Of course, some laud this as progress and innovation. Not really. It's just purely cost saving, at the trade off of quality and commitment.

Ah, the innovation was by the contracting company, who came up with an idea to make money by offering a cheaper or better solution. Outsourcing is not always intended to result in direct cost savings. It can be to provide a better product or allow the company to focus on their core service. The term outsourcing has a negative stigma mostly because of outsourcing jobs overseas, but we really need to look internally as to why we (as a country) were not able to supply the same cost/quality of labor (again this comes back largely to US regulations/policies enacted by short-sighted politicians--like high minimum wages).

Little changed other than the tie or scarf. name badge, and loss of some nice perks..... and $ per hr.

Intercruises is a fine company, and I'm glad to be an employee. What is lost in the transition is many years of experience by individuals who chose not to return. You will hardly notice any difference in FLL with the change.

David

Personally, I don't consider this a little change:(

That's applicable to some ports but not FLL which is what this thread is talking about.

Ken, this will be applicable to FLL after the switch and that's what the lady was stating about her sister who worked for an outsourced contractor.

Have you written RCI demanding that they charge you a surplus?

It is pointless to attack the cruise line for reducing costs while demanding lower fares. I don't complain about the price of a cruise either. Nor do I attack the CEO for wanting to do away with last minute discounts either.

It is pointless to attack the cruise line for reducing costs while demanding lower fares. I don't complain about the price of a cruise either. Nor do I attack the CEO for wanting to do away with last minute discounts either.

I agree. People in general like to post in threads feeling sympathetic for the "little guy" because it makes them feel good, but I am confident nobody ITT who thinks this is a travesty is doing anything about it other than whining in this thread.

Also, shame on the customers who only insist upon cheaper and cheaper rates.

Are you SERIOUS? :rolleyes:

Why should passengers WANT to pay more ?

Besides, where is RC giving us cheaper rates on anything ?? Everything is higher now on this line than it was a year ago (fares, Chops, drinks) ... and the quality and service are going down.

Obviously RC isn't listening to these supposed insistent customers you are talking about anyway ... rates are only going up.

I must sadly report, that most, if not all of the pier agents will be losing their jobs on May 31st. In another savings effort, Royal Caribbean has poorly chosen to hire outside agents who will be making much less, and not receiving any of the benefits that the current employees receive. It's decisions like this, that deeply sadden me, as it's a lousy corparate cutback, especially as so many of these wonderful folks have been in the Royal Caribbean family for years. I'm hearing they can re-apply, at the lower salary and no benefits. I wonder if the executive (who's probably making six figures) is proud of their "accomplishment", while hurting many lives. Personally, I think it sucks.

Yikes. .. May 31 ... we leave on Independence exactly one week after that ... this outta be interesting ! :eek:

Customers do not insist on cheaper and cheaper rates. We don't mind paying for quality service, food, entertainment, accommodations, etc.

We've seen prices increase and service, quality of food decrease. We used to feel like 'royalty' on RCI. Now, we feel like we pay for more add ons if we want something other than bargain brand food and services.

Where are the savings going? Certainly not fuel prices. They dropped dramatically, yet we are still charged a fuel surcharge. A few flashy additions to bigger ships? (Like that 4 second zip line (yes we timed it), bumper cars, ice skating rinks that only a small percent of the passengers enjoy? Perhaps they are looking to pay bigger dividends to stockholders. I imagine those at the top of RCI do pretty well.

The customers are NOT the problem here. It is a shame that people will lose their jobs, but it is also sad that we pay more and get less.

Edited by Dinkachu

You shamelessly defend the cruise line in each and every thread in which it is criticized (it must be very time consuming and frankly exhausting for you to do so, how do you find the time?), yet you fail to comprehend that Royal Caribbean cruise rates are INCREASING, not decreasing.

I will say this -- your corporate shilling is truly impressive. Always the customer's fault. Bravo!

Over the last 8 years of sailing out of PC and FLL we have noticed many elderly (Possibly retired) workers.

They loved what they did and were so friendly and made the cruising experience of the wait in the boarding areas so much more exciting.

Saddened by this news, but, over the years have seen many cost cutting changes in all walks of life.

Now hitting the travel industry more and more.

:(

Is this true? If so, what can be done about it? I don't post much but the FLL pier agents I've met have been awesome. Wish we had someone like Host Andy on the Royal Caribbean Boards.

Anyway this is from Host Andy on the Celebrity Boards.

I must sadly report, that most, if not all of the pier agents will be losing their jobs on May 31st. In another savings effort, Royal Caribbean has poorly chosen to hire outside agents who will be making much less, and not receiving any of the benefits that the current employees receive. It's decisions like this, that deeply sadden me, as it's a lousy corparate cutback, especially as so many of these wonderful folks have been in the Royal Caribbean family for years. I'm hearing they can re-apply, at the lower salary and no benefits. I wonder if the executive (who's probably making six figures) is proud of their "accomplishment", while hurting many lives. Personally, I think it sucks.

I am a regular over on the Celebrity board. I didn't see this announcement by Host Andy, so I went over and did a search under his name and cannot find the post. :confused: I wonder why it was removed?

One of the issues I see is that each cruise line does not have enough work for full time employees, it would make more sense to have the port or an outside company to contract to manage the port facilities. Airlines that have major hubs still don't use their employees to load and unload planes and as bad as it may sound it does make sense. How many people who work for almost any size companies have janitors or maintenance workers that are company employees? Very few for a couple of reasons, yes they don't want to provide those nice benefits to people who are not really skilled and hopefully will be moving on to better jobs, and they don't want the hassle of the high turnover rate.

In the service industry you have to prove your worth, if another company bids lower that (hopefully) is not the only criteria, the new company could have corporate ties to the company or a better track record, if they are already handing cruises at the port for another cruise line then they can better leverage the pool of employees. I the new company want to cut your pay/benefits then the people can go an get different jobs, the contracts are usually awarded with plenty of advance notice so people have time to look/find other jobs.

I am always a bit puzzled by people who stay in the same job for years with no advancement. I am not in management and I have changed careers several times going in completely different directions when i had to.

Someone who has been a cashier at the supermarket is very nice but after 5 years or so they should move up to a better job, either working someplace other than a supermarket or to a lead/head cashier.

A cashier job is only worth so much and after 2 years you can probably do the job as well as someone who has done the job for 10 years.

My last job was eliminated and lower paying people were brought in everyone said they were sorry to see me go and i was sad too, but I found another position in my company that pays better it is much more challenging and I have to drive a lot further, but I am earning my pay.

Don't mean to go on, but my Dad works as a security guard at a retirement community he has had the company change 3 times each time he has not had to take cut in pay at all ( he is not making more than 18.00/hr ) his uniform sometimes is provided other times he had to pay for them, but when he has to pay for them he was paid more per hour and it was a wash. The reason is he is being paid what his job is worth. Many times people get a raise due to whatever and soon they are making a lot more than someone just hired who can do the job just as well.

I almost wish companies would hire people and tell them this is a 3-5-7 year job after that you will be laid off as you need to get a better job and we need to offer someone just starting your entry level job.

I feel sorrier for the good travel agents that have been squeezed out by online companies with promises of great prices and coupon books worth 500.00/pp or companies that only work mon-fri 9-5.

I have no problems paying for a service that will benefit me, but I don't want someone loading bags into the airplane that has been doing it for 20 years either!

Edited by fredflint

You shamelessly defend the cruise line in each and every thread in which it is criticized (it must be very time consuming and frankly exhausting for you to do so, how do you find the time?), yet you fail to comprehend that Royal Caribbean cruise rates are INCREASING, not decreasing.

I will say this -- your corporate shilling is truly impressive. Always the customer's fault. Bravo!

I've only been cruising for a few years but I've seen multiple posters state that their prices for a cruise today are significantly cheaper than the prices they paid five or ten years ago.

Please no personal attacks such as calling me "shameless" or a "shill". If you disagree with my opinions then state where and why I'm wrong.

Customers do not insist on cheaper and cheaper rates. We don't mind paying for quality service, food, entertainment, accommodations, etc.

Then why so many threads about how to obtain the cheapest fares, biggest discounts, etc. Why so many threads on how to remove gratuities? Why so many threads on increased fares, drink prices, etc?

Where are the savings going? Certainly not fuel prices. They dropped dramatically, yet we are still charged a fuel surcharge. ... Perhaps they are looking to pay bigger dividends to stockholders. I imagine those at the top of RCI do pretty well.

You haven't paid a fuel surcharge on RCI since 2009.

Are you saying that RCI should have reduced it's dividend or executive salaries rather than cutting expenses?

The customers are NOT the problem here. It is a shame that people will lose their jobs, but it is also sad that we pay more and get less.

The 'problem' are those who think that they can have low fares without experiencing adverse effects such as reduced quality and adverse effects on people such as those who will lose their jobs from this.

Is this true? If so, what can be done about it? I don't post much but the FLL pier agents I've met have been awesome. Wish we had someone like Host Andy on the Royal Caribbean Boards.

Anyway this is from Host Andy on the Celebrity Boards.

If you're talking RCL CEO, its 12 million, not six figure salary!:eek:

Agreed, this RCL stockholder thinks it sucks too!

Profits are important, but they aren't everything!

Outsourcing is all about the numbers and what column they fit under on the company ledger.

By outsourcing RCL does not have to pay benefits (especially healthcare) for employees working for another company, while at the same time creating a tax write off of expenses paid to that other company.

If another company is not used, the individuals will receive tax form 1999, which means the individual is responsible for their own taxes on money received, while RCL can still deduct monies paid to the individual as an expense.

The result is that the company loses "control" of an individual that interfaces with customers of the company, which the customer most likely believes actually does work for the company.

Like any other game, you have to understand the rules to play the game.

Agreed, and the rules for the last 30 years have been 'rigged' against the consumer, and for the corporation!:eek:

You do understand the RCL CEO just got $12 million!

Couldn't he have survived on $2 million and left those jobs alone!

I'd take 2 million, how about you Rocket?

If you're talking RCL CEO, its 12 million, not six figure salary!:eek:

Agreed, this RCL stockholder thinks it sucks too!

Profits are important, but they aren't everything!

I'm with you but I would guess you and I are in the minority of RCL shareholders on this. It's shareholder demand for higher stock prices and bigger dividends which tends to drive cost cutting actions like this. I've experienced it personally (target of an outsourcing) and it's really a shame.

One of the issues I see is that each cruise line does not have enough work for full time employees, it would make more sense to have the port or an outside company to contract to manage the port facilities. Airlines that have major hubs still don't use their employees to load and unload planes and as bad as it may sound it does make sense. How many people who work for almost any size companies have janitors or maintenance workers that are company employees? Very few for a couple of reasons, yes they don't want to provide those nice benefits to people who are not really skilled and hopefully will be moving on to better jobs, and they don't want the hassle of the high turnover rate.

In the service industry you have to prove your worth, if another company bids lower that (hopefully) is not the only criteria, the new company could have corporate ties to the company or a better track record, if they are already handing cruises at the port for another cruise line then they can better leverage the pool of employees. I the new company want to cut your pay/benefits then the people can go an get different jobs, the contracts are usually awarded with plenty of advance notice so people have time to look/find other jobs.

I am always a bit puzzled by people who stay in the same job for years with no advancement. I am not in management and I have changed careers several times going in completely different directions when i had to.

Someone who has been a cashier at the supermarket is very nice but after 5 years or so they should move up to a better job, either working someplace other than a supermarket or to a lead/head cashier.

A cashier job is only worth so much and after 2 years you can probably do the job as well as someone who has done the job for 10 years.

My last job was eliminated and lower paying people were brought in everyone said they were sorry to see me go and i was sad too, but I found another position in my company that pays better it is much more challenging and I have to drive a lot further, but I am earning my pay.

Don't mean to go on, but my Dad works as a security guard at a retirement community he has had the company change 3 times each time he has not had to take cut in pay at all ( he is not making more than 18.00/hr ) his uniform sometimes is provided other times he had to pay for them, but when he has to pay for them he was paid more per hour and it was a wash. The reason is he is being paid what his job is worth. Many times people get a raise due to whatever and soon they are making a lot more than someone just hired who can do the job just as well.

I almost wish companies would hire people and tell them this is a 3-5-7 year job after that you will be laid off as you need to get a better job and we need to offer someone just starting your entry level job.

I feel sorrier for the good travel agents that have been squeezed out by online companies with promises of great prices and coupon books worth 500.00/pp or companies that only work mon-fri 9-5.

I have no problems paying for a service that will benefit me, but I don't want someone loading bags into the airplane that has been doing it for 20 years either!

Nonsense!

CEO salaries in 2013 were over 300 times the average worker!

CEO salaries in 1996 were 100 times the average worker!

You think they are smarter now, better then in 1996, by 200 times?

The system is broken, the top are taking it all!:mad:

No more excuses, look at the facts!:mad:

While these low paid workers are being let go, the RCL CEO got $12 million!:eek:

I've only been cruising for a few years but I've seen multiple posters state that their prices for a cruise today are significantly cheaper than the prices they paid five or ten years ago.

Please no personal attacks such as calling me "shameless" or a "shill". If you disagree with my opinions then state where and why I'm wrong.

I just call it how I see it -- if you cannot take the heat then stop making provocative comments that you know darn well will attract criticism. You continually post inaccurate and fallacious information, as is pointed out to you time and time again, and you deserve to be called out for it. The end.

Edited by Dave85

I just call it how I see it -- if you cannot take the heat then stop making provocative comments that you know darn well will attract criticism. You continually post inaccurate and fallacious information, as is pointed out to you time and time again, and you deserve to be called out for it. The end.

Any future personal attacks will be reported.