Goodbye last minute fare drops

cle-guy

Richard Fain again discusses the end of deep discount last minute fares to eliminate the last minute bookers and attempt to hold fares high during the earnings call.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6311

It was reported last fall as well, but didn't really cause much of a stir when it was announced then either.

Curious to see how it works out. I love how it's disguised as a way to make the ships more comfortable with less passengers... LOL.

I'm definitely one of those last minute bookers looking for great deals. Will absolutely affect how often I cruise I think. But on the other hand, they needed to do something, there was a cruise I was on last year that at final payment was only 37% sold out, by the time we sailed, we sailed full. So they booked over 60% of cabins within those last weeks, at great discount (caribbean).

I think the all-in 123 promotion definitely helped fill ships sooner, I've noticed many sailings with no suites or concierge cabins available almost a year and some more than a year out.

Edited by cle-guy

OK wasn't it about a month and a half ago they were promoting NO MORE 1,2,3 and two weeks later, there they were again. Actually it would be OK with me if they want to stop last minute fare drops, in fact, please stop all the promos and set a decent price! I find all the price gyrations maddening and I would think travel agents and X booking agents would be ready to tear their hair out!

As to the end of distress pricing, I'll believe it when I see it!

But if Fain actually does follow through with his promise (or shall we say threat?!?), it will be interesting how they handle on board upgrades. If a sailing goes out 80 percent full due to no distress discounting, will they offer some reduced rate upgrades at embarkation? They'd still have a ship sailing at 80 percent capacity, but could generate some extra revenue with upsells.

As to the end of distress pricing, I'll believe it when I see it!

But if Fain actually does follow through with his promise (or shall we say threat?!?), it will be interesting how they handle on board upgrades. If a sailing goes out 80 percent full due to no distress discounting, will they offer some reduced rate upgrades at embarkation? They'd still have a ship sailing at 80 percent capacity, but could generate some extra revenue with upsells.

Good point.

We, actually me wants to book early, DW wants to wait. Guess time will tell, but I am not going to overpay based on my value proposition.

I agree Celebrity needs and for sure wants to get earlier bookings and they may just have to bite the bullet. That may be why they lowered earnings estimates for future quarters.....empty cabins.

I am a "last minute" (51 days away!) booker THIS trip. Had to be done, due to waiting on time off request. That being said, IF I could not find a price within my budget, I would have found a land vacation instead. Strangely enough Celebrity was better price wise than Royal. :confused: Hopefully they can find a solution without running people, who love to cruise, off.

We'll see how it goes. Just booked Bermuda and got a Cat 9 Inside for $499 per person.

Other earlier Bermuda cruises were down to $399 and $429 pp, so we shall see.

Also one of the Bermuda cruises we were looking at had tons of Aqua Class cabins available after final payment, right now they are $1,199 pp, not sure how low they will go to sell them.

We'll see how it goes. Just booked Bermuda and got a Cat 9 Inside for $499 per person.

Other earlier Bermuda cruises were down to $399 and $429 pp, so we shall see.

Also one of the Bermuda cruises we were looking at had tons of Aqua Class cabins available after final payment, right now they are $1,199 pp, not sure how low they will go to sell them.

Ok, inquiring (nosey!) minds need to know...[emoji23] what line/ship/week...

ain said.

"As a result in March we adopted a new policy that we would not do any last minute discounts on bookings in North America. Depending on the type of cruise, that last minute may be 10, 20 or 30 days out, but from that point on we will hold our price at the prior level."

We generally book very early, like as soon as the cruise is announced, or when the first 123 Go is in place.

If you look at the language above, the rule only applies to North America. Also, last minute may be 10, 20 or 30 days out. There could still be bargains prices with no change 10 days from the cruise.

This just means more of a structure to discounts after final payment.

ain said.

"As a result in March we adopted a new policy that we would not do any last minute discounts on bookings in North America. Depending on the type of cruise, that last minute may be 10, 20 or 30 days out, but from that point on we will hold our price at the prior level."

We generally book very early, like as soon as the cruise is announced, or when the first 123 Go is in place.

If you look at the language above, the rule only applies to North America. Also, last minute may be 10, 20 or 30 days out. There could still be bargains prices with no change 10 days from the cruise.

This just means more of a structure to discounts after final payment.

While certainly not scientific, I think the best deals have always come between final payment and 30 days out....so if my memory is at all correct, this whole thing is sort of moot.....I don't expect much of anything to change.

What senior discount? I've never seen one. :mad:

There are discounts for many things...and yes, there are senior discounts offered on some cabins on some cruises. I'm not sure I've seen them on Celebrity's site, but they show up on the internet cruise TA sites....in fact one of the majors allows you to quickly look only at cruises that offer a senior discount on some cabin. I believe you can even sign up for newletters on cruises with senior fares (which includes celebrity, of course).

Edited by ghstudio

Im not sure how cheap the fares can get - 5 nights in Asia on Millennium next January start at $349 ( US $ sadly for us ) . We booked Concierge c2 , drinks package , Gratuities and $300 OBC for $729 . We are the only ones on the rollcall ! Cant see any major price drop on those prices surely.:)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Years ago (and I mean back in the early 1990's when I first started cruising) the best deals were when you booked far ahead. You got a booklet that had the pricings per cabin per sailing, so you could see what your discounted fare was. We always booked a year out. Gradually that changed to where the best deals were often right after final payment, and prices were deleted from the brochures I believe. So they were in some ways more masked, as you had to constantly peruse the website to see what the current pricing was. This, of course, varies by cruise, time of year, etc.. Waiting can be a risk.

At the same time, I just can't see them sailing with a lot of empty cabins. My thinking is that the new 'budget' window will move slightly forward of final payment, with less drastic cuts but more savings than you now see. I guess time will tell.