Wine on board

Holidayfun141

Are we allowed to take wine onboard to drink on our balcony.

This depends on the cruise line - some prohibit all wine, some charge a per bottle 'corkage' fee, some only charge corkage on wine poured in public areas - and probably other variations as well.

May I take an iron onboard

The general answer is no [fire hazard], but check your cruise lines policy.

Absolutely "no" on the iron!! They are considered a fire hazard!!

Some cruiselines have a laundry room for pressing.....but some do not.

Are you interested in a specific line? Each line sets their own policy so, especially for wine the rules vary wildly.

Irons are not allowed on most or maybe all lines. Some have passenger laundry rooms with irons in them. The irons can be used without charge.

RCI and Celebrity have NO laundry rooms for passenger use.,...no ironing, or irons allowed. You can send your things out to be pressed, for a fee. I'd advise ironing before you pack, and then don't worry about the odd crease here or there. In the humidity of the sea, everyone will be rumpled after about 5 mins!

You can absolutely (and SHOULD) take one normal size bottle of wine per person.

The bigger question is WHY would you want to iron on vacation?

If there are a couple of wrinkles in your dress, pour a generous glass of the wine you brought and forget about it. :)

The bigger question is WHY would you want to iron on vacation?

If there are a couple of wrinkles in your dress, pour a generous glass of the wine you brought and forget about it.

I agree with this! Although I generally try to take clothes that don't wrinkle, I really don't care. I'm on vacation!

Kindly note that this new member is from the UK.

Many cruise lines that sail from the UK and Northern Europe have more liberal carry-on wine or alcohol policies than the ones of US based lines being parroted above.

Also the OP is probably used to finding even in budget hotel chains not only an iron but a trouser press in their room. Suggesting they disregard what is likely to them a fundamental part of good grooming just because they are on holiday is quite patronizing.

I do hope they come back and share which ships they are considering.

Edited by fishywood

Use garment paper and hang up any of you slightly creased garments in the bathroom (away from the shower) and turn a very hot shower on for a while (preferably while those in your cabin are having a shower so you do not waste water).

Just wanted to add that quite a lot of UK hotels do not have irons in the rooms and usually you have to ask for one (if they even have any). When abroad I can remember my mum taking a mini travel iron just in case and I only ever saw her use it once.

Edited by Velvetwater

Kindly note that this new member is from the UK.

Also the OP is probably used to finding even in budget hotel chains not only an iron but a trouser press in their room.

Trouser press, yes, but I can't recall ever seeing an iron in a hotel room.

Trouser press, yes, but I can't recall ever seeing an iron in a hotel room.

In Aus it'd be a rare hotel that doesn't have an iron, if not in every room that you can get from reception.

I don't understand why all ships don't have a laundry with iron.

're the wine. Did I misread *crosses fingers* or are you not allowed to bring any of your own on board NCL (European home port if that makes a difference )? :O

Yes, you can bring your own wine on NCL. See here: http://www.ncl.com/faq#alcohol-consumption

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Happy cruising! :)

Odd on the .co.uk site in the faq it says no alcohol can be brought onboard

That is really strange. :confused: We had no trouble bringing wine aboard in Copenhagen...I don't remember if we brought any with us in Barcelona, but we probably did. They did not ask our nationality...maybe practice your American accent ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies to my question re taking wine on board. As we are on P and O Azura we can take wine on board for consumption in our cabin, we depart from Southampton, England.

It is our first cruise so quite looking forward to the cruise and hope we like it :)