Viking empire 50 day ocean cruise 2016

Thought I would start a new thread here for those Aussies & Kiwis who plan to undertake a cruise with Viking Oceans. This particular cruise I am undertaking in March 2016 sails from Istanbul to Stockholm with an emphasis on land content - there are very few full days at sea. However, if one does not wish to undertake the full 50 days, there are various legs that can be booked. So it is worthwhile checking out the Viking Oceans website also which gives lots of options regarding the various shorted crises available.

I have also been reading/contributing on CC under "Viking Oceans" & "Viking Oceans Roll Call". For anyone thinking of booking, it is very worthwhile reading all the contributions under those two Forums as the "Viking Star" is currently on its maiden voyage. The experiences of those currently on board are very informative & there are lots of good suggestions re packing, excursions etc.& also comments about their own personal experiences on the maiden voyage.

Avonglen reading the CC reviews so far a few hiccups, but to be expected on maiden voyage and to boot maiden on ocean cruise not their usual river cruise. It will be interesting reading the ongoing reviews to see how things pan out.

Always good to see a new player on the market.

V

Avonglen reading the CC reviews so far a few hiccups, but to be expected on maiden voyage and to boot maiden on ocean cruise not their usual river cruise. It will be interesting reading the ongoing reviews to see how things pan out.

Always good to see a new player on the market.

V

Vrogers, I get the feeling that Viking is gradually sorting the hiccups out as expediently as possible. Wondering if you will be on the 50 day March 2016 Viking Empire also?

• 2 weeks later...
Could you please provide a link to the particular cruise?

Just Google "Viking Oceans Viking Empire Istanbul to Stockholm 50 days" & it will bring up lots of info including being able to books segments of the total cruise.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Just Google "Viking Oceans Viking Empire Istanbul to Stockholm 50 days" & it will bring up lots of info including being able to books segments of the total cruise.:)

This thread refers to the 50 day Viking Empire cruise sailing on the Viking Star which departs Istanbul on 27 March 2016. I believe that there is a similar cruise departing early in April 2016 but the ship is the Viking Sea(?)and that this cruise will be a maiden voyage. Fingers crossed that things will be better organised on this particular maiden voyage than has been the case on the maiden voyage of the "Star"!

Viking Oceans looks amazing! We plan on cruising with them once the kids are much older.

I was thinking the same thing. They are not for us at the moment with kids but hopefully one day! They look fabulous.

It was very interesting. I was doing some surfing of the net about the new Viking Line and now realise that it has a connection to old Royal Viking line. Their ships were named Sea ,Sky ,and Star as well.

Many of us will remember the 3 Viking sisters as they were called.

I think all 3 are still sailing today under different names.

The christening was a huge day...

http://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/ships/viking-star/christening.html

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just a further update...

It appears Viking Star has broken down and is stuck in Tallin. Heres a thread from CC members on board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241482

Interesting reading as to what could happen if the ship you are on breaks down and aint going anywhere.

It can happen to any ship. P&O's Aurora was stuck in Auckland one year or 6 days while on its World Cruise.

Still hoping to hear of more Aussies undertaking this cruise in 2016 on the Viking Star.

Looks nice but too pricey for this little black duck, my benchmark is $100 to $150 per diem.

Enjoy anyway.

Edited by NSWP

Looks nice but too pricey for this little black duck, my benchmark is $100 to $150 per diem.

Enjoy anyway.

I wasnt thinking of the price , but rather the breakdown and the fact that it could happen to anyone.

Makes you realise and appreciate the need for travel insurance ...

you never know when you may need it.:eek:

I wasnt thinking of the price , but rather the breakdown and the fact that it could happen to anyone.

Makes you realise and appreciate the need for travel insurance ...

you never know when you may need it.:eek:

My humble apologies David.

I was looking forward to hearing about this new Viking ocean cruise line, as I have a friend on this ship.

This is the last thing I expected to hear about a brand new cruise ship. There are so many older ships limping around needing regular mechanical repairs, one gets used to hearing of mechanical problems with these old ships.

Just goes to show that mechanical problems can happen with any ship.

Just goes to show that mechanical problems can happen with any ship.

It has happened before. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia about the current P&O's Aurora and her maiden voyage.

Maiden voyage of Aurora

Aurora departed on her maiden voyage on 1 May 2000—a 14-night cruise to various Mediterranean destinations. The ship's crew identified a major technical problem, and the cruise was abandoned after 16 hours at sea. The cause was a propeller shaft bearing which had been damaged by overheating and required urgent repair while the ship was out of service.

On 3 May 2000, the ship returned to Southampton, where passengers disembarked. Passengers expressed disappointment about the incident but reported that they were mainly satisfied with P&O Cruises' response to the situation. P&O Cruises offered all passengers a full refund and compensation package, worth about GBP£6 million.

Aurora sailed to Blohm + Voss in Germany, where repairs were carried out. The ship returned to service on 15 May 2000, to undertake her second scheduled cruise to the Canary Islands.