Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

Funny, I just thought it was about enjoying oneself ......

I just love it, and so does my partner. But if it's not your thing then that's fair enough. But it's a little unfair you dig at people that want to participate.

just saying.

Dressing up is a game that people play to pass the time. Different people have different reasons to play.

I don't think that I "dig at people who want to participate". I fully support anyone's right to wear a tux anytime they want to. I just do not understand why they want to tell someone else to wear a tux or choose a different cruise line. I certainly don't go around telling people to take themselves and their tuxedo's to cunard.

Edited by RocketMan275

This may be true in "real life", but one of the best things about cruising is for a week or so we get to live like the other half. I think that's why the formal stuff is such a hot button with some. I think it's fair to say that one of the reasons many of us enjoy cruising is it makes us, for a little while, feel pampered and special. That's not a bad thing. Most of us work regular jobs, pay mortgages, and do otherwise normal things. During a cruise we get to forget all of that and have that luxury we typically could only dream about.

Tom

Nothing at all wrong with doing that. But there are many who also do not get to live like the other either and who do not enjoy dressing up. Is it fair to tell them that they have to forgo dinning in the mdr on some nights?

Nothing at all wrong with doing that. But there are many who also do not get to live like the other either and who do not enjoy dressing up. Is it fair to tell them that they have to forgo dinning in the mdr on some nights?

Yes, because dinning (making a loud, unpleasant, and prolonged noise) is rude.

Yes, because dinning (making a loud, unpleasant, and prolonged noise) is rude.

Thank you for pointing that out. The last thing I want is to be guilty of making loud, unpleasant, and prolonged noises. Except when I have gas.

He starts by making a dig at those who enjoy dressing according to the formal night suggested attire...

Dressing up is a game that people play to pass the time.

And then turns around & tries to feign ignorance:

I don't think that I "dig at people who want to participate".

And follows THAT up with a red herring argument:

I fully support anyone's right to wear a tux anytime they want to. I just do not understand why they want to tell someone else to wear a tux or choose a different cruise line. I certainly don't go around telling people to take themselves and their tuxedo's to cunard.

Please find & quote anyone here who's argued that others should "wear a tux or choose a different cruise line." I'm quite positive you won't find anyone to quote. So could you stop with the silly red herrings? You WILL find arguments that people should be willing to follow the cruise line's minimum stated dress, or eat elsewhere than the MDR, or find a line with a dress code that they are more agreeable with. But that's much different than your (false) contention that they should "wear a tux or choose a different cruise line."

Yes, it's ENTIRELY fair for the cruise line to state rules to that effect - their ship, their rules.

Yes, it's ENTIRELY fair for the cruise line to state rules to that effect - their ship, their rules.

well said .......

I'm so glad a few people are on my side :)

The Rocket man seems to be all over the place really.

I'm just hoping that on my up coming Anthem cruise that people do embrace formal ....... at least a bit. at the moment people don't seem to know if they're coming or going really.

I've just recently booked my first ever cruise and I have to be honest i didn't even know there was a formal night until I came onto these forums. I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the brochures or anywhere when I was booking. If I hadn't have come across these forums it's highly possible I wouldn't have packed anything suitable to wear. (As a female it's not as easy as just renting a tux on board - I wish it were). Perhaps some of the people who aren't making the effort simply weren't aware in time to prepare and pack for such an occasion. Maybe a mention of it in the dining section of the brochure or on the page dealing with evening highlights or something might encourage more people to at least be aware of it in order to choose whether they want to participate

I think we all see the future of Formal Night. And it isn't real bright. It's fading with the generations. On our first cruise nobody would even think of showing up at the door in shorts and flip flops. Times have changed in just over a decade.

People that want to get a gussied up are becoming the minority just like smokers. Just look at the threads repeated over and over about dress codes.

Personally I like traveling casual and I have packed my last suit coat. Finished! And I don't think I should be forced into a buffet line just because I don't want to wear a jacket. I paid the same fare and should enjoy the same dining experience. I'll wear a tie ... for now.

Edited by Ti2m

I've just recently booked my first ever cruise and I have to be honest i didn't even know there was a formal night until I came onto these forums. I don't recall seeing it mentioned in the brochures or anywhere when I was booking. If I hadn't have come across these forums it's highly possible I wouldn't have packed anything suitable to wear. (As a female it's not as easy as just renting a tux on board - I wish it were). Perhaps some of the people who aren't making the effort simply weren't aware in time to prepare and pack for such an occasion. Maybe a mention of it in the dining section of the brochure or on the page dealing with evening highlights or something might encourage more people to at least be aware of it in order to choose whether they want to participate

No ....... I think you'll find most of the other posters being negative are just being a bit pig headed to be honest.

My first ever couple of cruises were informal, but after doing the formal thing, I loved it.

It's preference at the end of the day, but if you don't want to glam up ...... then don't.

I always want to compliment the lady I go to dinner with by trying to look good for her. She's made the effort, and so will I ....... and I love it.

I do get the feeling with you sometimes that you're just on a big wind up.

You probably see the people on early sitting all dressed up, and you're champing at the bit to get upstairs to put full evening wear on.

There are too many contradictions in your posts.

So you're seriously a proper formal fella.

He starts by making a dig at those who enjoy dressing according to the formal night suggested attire...

And then turns around & tries to feign ignorance:

And follows THAT up with a red herring argument:

Please find & quote anyone here who's argued that others should "wear a tux or choose a different cruise line." I'm quite positive you won't find anyone to quote. So could you stop with the silly red herrings? You WILL find arguments that people should be willing to follow the cruise line's minimum stated dress, or eat elsewhere than the MDR, or find a line with a dress code that they are more agreeable with. But that's much different than your (false) contention that they should "wear a tux or choose a different cruise line."

I used the term "a game that people play" to describe formal night activities. A definition of "game" is an activity that has rules and people play for pleasure. It was not meant to be derogatory or a "dig" but descriptive and that term certainly fits the definition.

My statement about tuxes and cunard would more properly be considered "hyperbole" rather than a "red herring".

No ....... I think you'll find most of the other posters being negative are just being a bit pig headed to be honest.

My first ever couple of cruises were informal, but after doing the formal thing, I loved it.

It's preference at the end of the day, but if you don't want to glam up ...... then don't.

I always want to compliment the lady I go to dinner with by trying to look good for her. She's made the effort, and so will I ....... and I love it.

You should drag this on a few more pages with your stilted syntax and completely missing the point of the thread.

My statement about tuxes and cunard would more properly be considered "hyperbole" rather than a "red herring".

That is one of the biggest problems with the discussion of this topic, in my opinion, though. There is far too much hyperbole from both extremes.

Yes, it's ENTIRELY fair for the cruise line state rules to that effect - their ship, their rules.
I agree but lets not forget how minimal these "rules" are . A blazer , a collared shirt , no jeans - Is this really a big deal ? Even the jacket seems optional . Personally I don't care what others wear but must point out how relaxed the clothing mandates are . It seems that if trunk style bathing suits were allowed, some would insist on wearing Speedos . :eek::eek:

hariy-man-wearing-speedos-or-budgee-smugglers-and-1.jpg.f3166c964b1b7bcdfc98cd52221cbe66.jpg

I agree but lets not forget how minimal these "rules" are . A blazer , a collared shirt , no jeans - Is this really a big deal ?

Don't see that in the rules anywhere. No swimwear, no shorts, no tank tops

I agree but lets not forget how minimal these "rules" are . A blazer , a collared shirt , no jeans - Is this really a big deal ? Even the jacket seems optional . Personally I don't care what others wear but must point out how relaxed the clothing mandates are . It seems that if trunk style bathing suits were allowed, some would insist on wearing Speedos . :eek::eek:

A blazer is certainly not required though and "no jeans" is not a rule :) Even on Formal nights.

Don't see that in the rules anywhere. No swimwear, no shorts, no tank tops

A blazer is certainly not required though and "no jeans" is not a rule :) Even on Formal nights.
So what's the big deal about these "rules" ? There aren't any rules. Why are people complaining ?

Those minimums I mentioned are my impressions of what I've observed in the MDR and

what RCI mentions "Formal: Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit. Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional) "

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334

Don't contradict me of I'll post more Speedo pictures ! :D

This thread was really intended to find out what sort of events and activities could make a formal night more special and cause people to self select and opt in leading to an overall larger number of participants.

Those that like formal nights seemingly have no requests of the company to do their part in setting the atmosphere and have hijacked this thread to make it about dress codes. Surely those that enjoy formal night might enjoy additional special events or activities. If formal night continues as it is now or continues to be watered down further there won't be any point in having a dress code thread.

If Royal Caribbean can't be bothered to do their part in providing an "experience" why should I bring the clothing and dress up anyways? More luggage, less comfort, no reason to do it

No disrespect intended to anyone, but the phrase "let the baby have his bottle" certainly applies to this issue.

My wife and I chose to forgo the "elegant ambiance" of the MDR for the casual practicality of the Windjammer long ago. The food is the same, no formal wear is required, and by being thus segregated you won't disturb the formal atmosphere for those that have chosen to dress up. Everyone wins.

It really isn't a big deal.

Edited by CruiseTobey

No disrespect intended to anyone, but the phrase "let the baby have his bottle" certainly applies to this issue.

My wife and I chose to forgo the "elegant ambiance" of the MDR for the casual practicality of the Windjammer long ago. The food is the same, no formal wear is required, and by being thus segregated you won't disturb the formal atmosphere for those that have chosen to dress up. Everyone wins.

Agreed not a big deal. But is there anything RCI could do to entice your participation? Huge menu? Lavish displays? Etc?

I had dinner in the Windjammer on Freedom a few weeks ago for the first time ever and Im not sure I will ever go back to the MDR. Breakfast and lunch in the WJ was MUCH better than the MDR and dinner was also great with a lot of variety instead of the very limited menu of the MDR.

The only thing is, I think MANY are starting to catch on and do the same thing. The WJ was pretty packed for dinner even later on in the evening.

Agreed not a big deal. But is there anything RCI could do to entice your participation? Huge menu? Lavish displays? Etc?

You didnt ask me but Im not sure there is anything RCI can do to get me back in a tux or even a suit.

I participated all out and dressed to the nines the first couple cruises I went on. It was fun. Been there, done that, got the overpriced pics to prove it :) Im over that now though and honestly, Im about over the MDR. I did wear a nice pair of slacks, a long sleeve dress shirt (no tie) to formal night on Freedom. I had tables all around me with people in shorts and flip flops. Didnt bother me one bit or take away from my meal or night.

The "good ol days" of cruising with fancy formal nights are going to the wayside IMO. Especially on Caribbean cruises.

Edited by ryano

This thread was really intended to find out what sort of events and activities could make a formal night more special and cause people to self select and opt in leading to an overall larger number of participants.

Those that like formal nights seemingly have no requests of the company to do their part in setting the atmosphere and have hijacked this thread to make it about dress codes. Surely those that enjoy formal night might enjoy additional special events or activities. If formal night continues as it is now or continues to be watered down further there won't be any point in having a dress code thread.

If Royal Caribbean can't be bothered to do their part in providing an "experience" why should I bring the clothing and dress up anyways? More luggage, less comfort, no reason to do it

I agree. There are few, if any incentives to dress up and the lax enforcement of the dress code only compounds this problem. Most things that would be a sufficient incentive to change passengers behavior would probably be financially unattractive to the cruise line. For example, my suggestion for free booze in the MDR on formal nights. That along with an enforced dress code would probably change things. Problem is, that would be expensive.

Of course, the cruise line could vigorously enforce the dress code. Or, even adopt Cunard's policy where those who do not wish to dress to the code are told to remain in their cabins after 6 PM. That would be an incentive but I doubt it would be a popular one. I imagine it would also be very costly to the cruise line in terms of lost revenue.

There is another thing which could be done which would not impose costs on the cruise line or restrictions on the passengers. Those who like formal nights could set an example and wear their best formal wear. And I mean tuxes and suites for the men and cocktail dresses and gowns for the ladies. The idea is that if you get a 'critical mass' of the well dressed, you can influence others who do not want to be under-dressed to participate as well. I doubt this would be all that successful but it has the advantage of not being dependent upon the cruise line.

Or, if you're serious about not packing your dress up duds, I'll save you a seat at my table in the Windjammer.

All I've ever said is, just because of the people that don't want to dress up and do (what I consider one of the best bits about cruises) formal, don't take it away from the people that do.

How can you say it's not about what you wear ?

I've respected nearly all of what you say, but formal wear is a big part of formal nights.

I consider it as "one of the reasons I cruise". And I'm not alone in that.

1 great formal night or 2 half hearted ?? it won't happen. If it's only for one night then it's not worth bothering with all the great kit ....... there's your answer .....

I yielded a long time ago over this. But it seems an awful lot of people are on my side over this and hopefully the OP.

Yes, they do great food in all the restaurants, but who cares ?? sorrentos at 4 o'clock in the morning is like the elixir of life after a good night out. so grub doesn't even come into it for us.

You (in shorts, and sarong)(or plus fours) are welcome to meet me in wherever at 4 in the morning. I'm wearing a tux, you're wearing your kit, and I wouldn't batter an eyelid.

bon voyage x