Why not 1 really good formal night instead of 2 half hearted ones?

Where did you find that. I've never seen it stated that a jacket is required for men.0

This was description of formal wear for dinner at Chefs Table.

I also posted description of Formal in travel Documents. They differ???

Arguing about dress code is just letting the cruise line off the hook from providing an evening worth "going the extra mile for". I also don't really care what someone else wears; neat and clean is a major plus, style is another subject and I don't really care.

Maybe instead of arguing or posturing about what "formal" is, just focus on it being a dress to impress night and what things the company should do to differentiate it.

If any part of it was a pay event I'd avoid it.

I can think of any number of themed events the cruise line could do, even throughout an afternoon/day time to lead up to a singular "extra special" once per cruise evening. "Build it and they will come". For a cruiseline who's tagline is WOW, they sure could use some wow here.

This is were they really confuse you and state that suggested attire for MDR on Formal night is Formal attire and then list what will not be accepted. We cruised with friends who refuse to wear formal clothing, we mentioned to our waiter that we would not be at the formal dinner but would dine at the WJ. They said not worry come as you are and we will serve you.

Gotcha. So maybe they do state jacket required for Chef's Table.

Did Chef's Table in 2014. No "requirement" for a jacket. Did not wear one. Website says smart casual; suggests a jacket.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/spa/html/view.do?productId=100000002535825967&typeId=100000002208059779&level=3

Just booked our reservation for Chefs table on Upcoming Radiance cruise to Alaska and it clearly states formal as attire for Chefs Table.

My Conclusion is RCI could care less what we wear.

They only care about our $$$$$

The happiness of other people is not the first concern of most people. Therefore people who give up the power over their own happiness and grant it to others, are likely to find themselves disappointed.

Some spend thousands of dollars on a cruise. Yet they are willing to delegate to others whether they will enjoy the cruise or not over something as trivial as what others might wear to dinner.

Paul65...yes we do change and shower. But the clothes we change into are casual clothes...clothing that we wear many times over on our trips.

My point was that I have no intention of packing a suit/jacket and dress shoes for just a few hours on two or three days of our vacation. We were travelling for three months with only carry on bags. Why on earth would we want would want to drag along extra for those few hours. Not us.

We pass on the MDR on those days but we certainly do not hide in our room all night. And on those days I would say that half the people in the Diamond lounge we dressed casually.

Edited by iancal

Paul65...yes we do change and shower. But the clothes we change into are casual clothes...clothing that we wear many times over on our trips.

My point was that I have no intention of packing a suit/jacket and dress shoes for just a few hours on two or three days of our vacation. We were travelling for three months with only carry on bags. Why on earth would we want would want to drag along extra for those few hours. Not us.

We pass on the MDR on those days but we certainly do not hide in our room all night. And on those days I would say that half the people in the Diamond lounge we dressed casually.

I don't care if you pack a suit or not. It just seemed like you were making up silly excuses for why you don't, like not wanting to pack something you only wear for a few hours on two or three days of the trip. Most people do that, whether the clothes are casual or not. But then, most people are not trying to travel three months using only a carry-on bag, either. If that's your restriction, then it's no wonder you wear the same clothes (casual or not) over and over.

But I don't think that's the average traveler...You can choose to forgo formal wear, even if you're traveling for just a week and have unlimited baggage.

Even if we were driving to the port and only going on a cruise we would probably not bother with formal wear.

We used to. But after so many years of wearing a suit at work, many cruises where we did play Mr. and Mrs. Dressup, and with the decline in the MDR formal night dinners we just cannot be bothered. They have completely lost their appeal to us. And the more we skip, the less inclined we are to ever bother with them again-on any cruise line.

This is were they really confuse you and state that suggested attire for MDR on Formal night is Formal attire and then list what will not be accepted. We cruised with friends who refuse to wear formal clothing, we mentioned to our waiter that we would not be at the formal dinner but would dine at the WJ. They said not worry come as you are and we will serve you.

They will do this at almost all cruise lines. Their priority is your enjoyment (as usually reflects on their service feedback and tips) and so long as you aren't wearing swim-wear, you'll be able to join w/o anyone batting an eyelash. I personally like that. come-as-you-are is the best policy for a cruise, at least for a Caribbean or Mediterranean ones.

I was asked to the Captain's table, I said I had no formal attire she said no problem, I said I did not even have a Jacket with me on this trip, but modern clothes for the "so called formal nights" she said if you are concern we have a jacket for you. So I went, it was fun, but not anything special but getting to talk to the Captain was nice, way across the table LOL. It was fun to realize that people were looking at you like you we're important. Menu was the same as the MDR.

Bottom line IMHO is that Formal Nights are basically gone, I prefer to call those nights dress up night, some one above called them "dress to impress" nights. I said above, no one on a cruise should have to worry about clothes that they may only wear once or every couple of years. Some can say you can buy dressy clothes suits, cocktail dresses etc in many recycling/used places but WHY would anyone spend hard earned dollars on these clothes unless it is within their life style.

Having said that, RC should have a basic dress code that CAN BE ENFORCED by

any body. Having been around the school system, writing a real enforceable dress code was virtually impossible. Even with uniforms it was hard to control what students wore even within the guide lines.

On every cruise I have been on since my first cruise in 2008 this is what I have seen in the MDR and posted in my reviews:

Men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

On formal nights the style of dress were some men in tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but it appeared to be however you came dressed that was ok.

Edited by bigque

On every cruise I have been on since my first cruise in 2008 this is what I have seen in the MDR and posted in my reviews:

Men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

On formal nights the style of dress were some men in tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open shirt collar. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but it appeared to be however you came dressed that was ok.

Yup. I don't see the problem. You say it as if it was a big deal people coming dressed to the MDR in whichever clothes they felt most comfortable with.

Yup. I don't see the problem. You say it as if it was a big deal people coming dressed to the MDR in whichever clothes they felt most comfortable with.

No I weote in my reviews what I saw on my cruises since there is always a topic about it here. My wife and I wear what we wear and actually could give a rats a$$ what anybody else wears to dinner on formal night or any other night! So no it's not a big deal to me!

They will do this at almost all cruise lines. Their priority is your enjoyment (as usually reflects on their service feedback and tips) and so long as you aren't wearing swim-wear, you'll be able to join w/o anyone batting an eyelash. I personally like that. come-as-you-are is the best policy for a cruise, at least for a Caribbean or Mediterranean ones.

Another factor. The current situation with an unenforced dress code allows the cruise line to have it both ways. They can advertise a formal night to appeal to one segment and by not enforcing the dress code then can appeal to the other segment. And, they certainly wouldn't refuse entry except to the most egregious violators to maximize their gratuities.

Of course, not enforcing the dress code means there will be some that the cruise line will have to placate. Must not be a large percentage otherwise they would be more strict.

It would be difficult to enforce a suggestion. There are conflicted statements on the RCCL sight, but this is listed under what to pack:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

I think a lot of people, like me, will follow the suggestions, but what can they do if you don't.

If they made them actually requirements for entry to the MDR that would be a different story, but I don't think they want to be that adamant or controversial these days.

Tom

Another factor. The current situation with an unenforced dress code allows the cruise line to have it both ways. They can advertise a formal night to appeal to one segment and by not enforcing the dress code then can appeal to the other segment. And, they certainly wouldn't refuse entry except to the most egregious violators to maximize their gratuities.

Of course, not enforcing the dress code means there will be some that the cruise line will have to placate. Must not be a large percentage otherwise they would be more strict.

Interesting theory.

Where did you see it as official? What new events or activities are part of it?

Not sure, it wasn't specific, its happening tonight on this particular sailing.

I'll let you know after the event, or my sailing.

Not sure, it wasn't specific, its happening tonight on this particular sailing.

I'll let you know after the event, or my sailing.

Thanks. Am keen to know if the company is doing anything special or different to mark the night, or just lipstick on a pig sort of thing.