Athens Excursions

Newbury newbie

The Hop On Hop Off bus is excellent. We did that on a 3 night land tour. Except just before we were due to get off, the bus hit a pedestrian! She just didn't look. Another tourist. She regained consciousness so ok.

On Equinox last autumn, a roll call member organised a tour with http://www.privategreecetours.com using a driver (12 seat minibus) plus a brilliant tour guide. It was very good indeed; pickup and return to the ship included. We were very early at the Acropolis, to beat the worst of the crowds, departing at 8.00 a.m. from the dock.

400 Euros for the tour with driver, 250 Euros for the guide. Entrance fees extra. So, with tips, around 65 euros pp for full day tour with guide.

I'm sure it'll be cheaper than the 'official' tour, and a smaller group. Recommended.

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian

The Hop On Hop Off bus is excellent. We did that on a 3 night land tour. Except just before we were due to get off, the bus hit a pedestrian! She just didn't look. Another tourist. She regained consciousness so ok.

Thanks Pushka, tourists get everywhere don't they!!

Does the Hop on Hop off goes past the port then? The cruise terminal isn't quite Athens I'm led to believe.

Will be in Athens on the Reflection this August. Never been there before. Looking for advice on whether to take one of the ship's excursions, research a private one or even a 'do it yourself' if they have the 'hop on hop off'.

You don't need the hop on hop off bus. You just need to get to the Plaka area and then everything is walkable.

You also don't need a tour. Get a guide book (I recommend Rick Steve's) and do it yourself. You can easily see the main sites in a day though it will wear you out.

Thanks Pushka, tourists get everywhere don't they!!

Does the Hop on Hop off goes past the port then? The cruise terminal isn't quite Athens I'm led to believe.

Yes there is a Port Stop. And you will need the bus to get to the Acropolis as well as get a feel for the entire city. The Plaka is just one of those places and you cant walk to the Acropolis from there. Which is beautiful btw.

5c1b8a485b0d52c676ac30f874a80498.jpg

c835f5aea18fcfbbdb1f07a3cfbd300c.jpg

Yes there is a Port Stop. And you will need the bus to get to the Acropolis as well as get a feel for the entire city. The Plaka is just one of those places and you cant walk to the Acropolis from there. Which is beautiful btw.

I don't understand your statement above. It is absolutely possible to walk from the Plaka to the Acropolis, in fact, nothing could be easier. The Plaka is the area huddled immediately below the Acropolis.

I am with those who say it is very easy to do Athens on your own. My advice is to get a taxi to take you straight to the Acropolis first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds. After that all of these things are in easy walking distance:

Acropolis museum

Theater of Dionysus

Greek Agora (with a great small museum and wonderful temple of Hephaestion

Roman Agora and Tower of the Winds

Temple of Olympian Zeus

Hadrian's Arch

Plaka

All of the above, except the Acropolis museum, are either free or included with your Acropolis ticket.

When you are done, you can take the metro back to Piraeus or take a taxi back if you prefer. (The metro stop in Piraeus is not so close to where the cruise ships dock, so plan for up to a 40 minute walk if you do this.)

The HOHO bus stops near the port, as does a new express bus service into Athens. But I still think the taxi is worth it in the a.m. to have the Acropolis nearly to oneself, even if only for a little while.

On the day we went to the Acropolis we queued for an hour to get tickets, and then walked to the top. It was hot (July). We were mighty glad to get back on the bus to rest for the next stop. The Plaka is close, you are right. I think the hoho bus works for us anyway as you listen to the commentary as you go.

In the end we are all saying theres no need for a guided tour - just have a different means of doing that.

If I was to do Athens again by cruise I'd DIY, but first time did private tour. IMHO do private our DIY here, avoid the ship big bus tours at all cost for both value and time efficiency.

I agree with (and always appreciate) Cruisemom's response. We did this last year and will again in a couple of weeks. Only further tip I have to offer is that the many taxi drivers waiting will press you hard to engage them for a personal tour but you have no obligation or need to do so. Being the first one at the Acropolis is amazing and well worth being 30 minutes ahead of those taking slightly longer modes of transportation.